Author Topic: Help! I just found out I have food allergies! (A primer for the newbies :)  (Read 27261 times)

Offline Mommyof4

• Adept
;D
Hope this helps someone, sorry, just figured it would be easier than replying to EVERY food related question :)
Anyone dealing with food allergies or intolerance's, please look at these sites!
www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/
http://www.feingold.org/
Lindsey
Blessed Mom:)
My village people:
Tate 10
Morgan 9
Charlotte 7.5
Silas 4.5

Offline firecattx

• Adept
My son has 31 food allergies from the ELISA test.  The highest allergy was garlic!! I need some ideas on what to use in beans, casseroles instead of garlic.  I currently use salt/pepper/onions.....what can replace garlic???

Offline amy

• Adept
I'm just in need of guidance.  I was having pretty severe congestion and my midwife/naturopath suggested a food allergy test.  I've discovered I'm allergic to the foods I consume on a dialy basis (milk, yeast, eggs just to name a few) and now I don't know what to do!  Whenever there's a health problem I try to search out the cause, but I don't even know where to begin with this one.  I have no symptoms except this congestion and it just started the same time we moved into this house in August '08.  The test also showed an extremely high allergy to D. farinae which my Dr. said is some kind of mite found in wheat.  If it makes a difference, I'm 28 wks. pregnant.

I don't understand anything about allergies.  I've never before had allergies or known anyone who does.  I don't know what causes them or how I could have so many and not know it without this test revealing it.  I would like to get rid of this congestion because it's driving me crazy, but how can I cut foods out of my diet that I eat every day?  I really want to understand what is going on in my body.  My Dr. mentioned something about our intestinal wall being damaged when we eat things we're allergic to which allows other substances to leak out which can lead to health problems later even if we don't have allergy symptoms that we can perceive.  I'm confused and I don't like not understanding what's going on in my own body.  Could someone please point me in the right direction?  I have so many questions and no answers.

Thanks,
Amy

Offline blondiegreen

• Adept
  • Summer 2009
    • Greener Living Soap Nuts
I don't have food allergies, so I can't really help you on that end.
However, to change your way of eating, look into the Daniel Fast. Basically, it cuts out meat, dairy, eggs, yeast etc. You can be as extreme or as lenient as you need to be. There are lots of recipes online that are "fast friendly".

Sorry to hear of your allergies, but good luck in getting better!
Natural Laundry Detergent & Cleaning Products
www.buysoapnuts.com

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Well, it's actually easier to change what you eat then you think.  Instead of chicken eggs, you can use duck eggs or egg replacer (or flax seed and water).  Instead of dairy - you use rice milk when you need to (cook with it, cereal, etc).  Most people can still handle real butter and hard cheeses (like cheddar) but not soft stuff like cottage cheese or mozzarella (you'll learn never to eat pizza again).  You can buy bread that uses on sprouted grains so there is no yeast in it.  You might also want to check if you're allergic to gluten because that is also very common.  If you cut out these foods you will find your congestion will be gone almost overnight.  You can gauge whether you're allergic to something by your congestion. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline amy

• Adept
You can buy bread that uses on sprouted grains so there is no yeast in it.  You might also want to check if you're allergic to gluten because that is also very common.  If you cut out these foods you will find your congestion will be gone almost overnight.  You can gauge whether you're allergic to something by your congestion. 

hth

patti

Yes, I am allergic to gluten too; I just didn't mention that one in my original post.  It's mostly lifestyle changes that seem overwhelming and the fact that I have a family to cook for in addition to myself (4 kids with another on the way).  I get 6 gallons of raw milk each week from a local farm.  My family, including myself, love milk.  I make yogurt and kefir from some of the milk that we all enjoy.  We make our own pizza as a family favorite almost once a week.  I just recently started milling my own wheat for baking our own bread.  Pancakes are also a family favorite.  All these foods I just mentioned are foods I'm allergic to.  What do I eat while my family eats all these things I can't have?  How do I find the time and money to fix separate meals for myself every day?   

I'm wondering if I'd rather just live with congestion than to try to make these changes.  I need to understand what's going on in my body and what the health consequences are of just continuing to eat foods I'm allergic to.  Anyone know?  Sorry my messages are so random and disjointed...I'm in extreme overload emotionally...often writing through tears.

Thanks,
Amy

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
The consequences of continuing to use your allergens longterm is that your body will be in a constant state of distress. Inflammation is the source of many so called diseases and eventually your body will start reacting to and attacking itself. Don't panic and try to quit cold turkey on all of them if it is too much. It probably is especially at this stage in pregnancy.  :D I'm a mom too in a busy house!  ;D

Set yourself a goal to read through the GAPS thread I will link below and to change ONE meal you currently know you should not eat. For example...on pizza night make yourself a salad with a generous helping off the meat you are putting on the families pizza and an avocado or extra virgin olive oil vinagrette... Instead of pancakes fry up some chilled,sliced scrapple (cornmeal mush cooked with meat and broth). It's good with the common pancake toppings of butter and syrup or gravy.  :)....

Because you stated that this started with the move to a new house I am going to guess that most of these allergies are reversible. Probably something about the house (mites, mold, chemical) started a chain reaction in your body. Or it seems that the timeframe would also correspond with the beginning of your current pregnancy. Truly believe that although this will take time and effort you can change the way you eat and heal.

Currently I believe the GAPS protocol to be the most thorough way to reduce allergic reaction and to reverse most allergies as well as heal the holes in the gut (leaky gut syndrome or LGS) that are causing your body to develop new allergies. Here is the WTM thread on GAPShttp://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,20533.msg200937.html

Sure you may have a couple things that are lifetime allergies, but if that is so you will soon not mind avoiding those as you will feel sooo good when not reacting. Change is never easy, but once you get started it isn't as hard as it looks. Chin up, Amy! It's not an easy thing you are working with but you can do it!

Offline Chadycake

• Adept
...I'm in extreme overload emotionally...often writing through tears.

Hi, Amy, I just wanted to send you a big hug & let you know that you are in my prayers.  About 7 yrs ago I was in the same boat.  I totally remember being sooo overwhelmed, and even greiving over the loss of my favorite foods.   :'(  I can tell you though... I've survived!  And I haven't starved!  :D  I don't have any more time right now, but if I think of anything helpful I will let you know. 

(((hugs))) ~W
"Daddy, when we die, will we have eyes... so we can see God?" -Caleb, age 4

I'm blogging recipes and natural health info at http://concoctionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Amy,

Take a deep breath.   ;D  You're going to be okay.  Yes, you really do need to take the allergens out of your diet.  But I have found that in doing so I feel so much better and actually eat much much healthier.  In our house, when one has an allergy, it's likely others do to.  Many allergies (especially the gluten and dairy) tend to have a genetic component.  In our house, I make one meal and we all eat it.  Gluten free/dairy free/tomato free, etc.  The one exception is daddy.  If daddy doesn't like something that is GF then I make him something separate (usually a variation of what I'm already making - ie. add tomatoes and just use two separate dishes).  In doing this, your kids will be healthier (since soooooo many people are allergic to gluten and dairy) and you will be less stressed. 

We eat pancakes daily.  I mix up my own GF flours with a recipe a friend gave me.  It might be on the GF thread.  If not, let me know.  You can still mill your own flours, you'll just use different kinds.  ie.  Brown rice flour, potato starch flour, tapioca flour, millet, teff, sorghum, garfava, etc.  Or you can buy them already milled very cheaply from places like Azure Standard or in bulk at a local health food store. 

What I have found in switching our diets is that we eat mostly fruits, veggies and meats.  This is okay.  It's a good diet.  And it's MUCH cheaper because we don't buy junk.  Truthfully, the only bread I found we like is the Bob's Red Mill GF bread.  But through experimenting with what you're family eats you will find recipes that you'll all love.  Mostly, I take my current recipes and just adjust them.  I'll give you an example below. 

Don't panic.  This will be okay and you really will feel better.  And the long term consequences of not changing are going to be leaky gut and other diseases.  So you do want to do this.  It seems hard to live without milk, but you'll be surprised how easy it is once you do it.  If you want everyone else to keep drinking it, then just you don't drink it.  If you need to cook with it, then just use rice milk so you can eat what you're making too. 

Here's a recipe change I do:

Regular pancake recipe of flour, sugar, eggs, salt, baking powder, oil, milk, etc.

I use:

my own GF flour mix (I mix and store a big container of it and use it like a regular everyday flour),  xanthum gum (you will have to use this for all GF cooking that uses flour), date sugar or maple sugar as needed (I have some allergic to cane sugar), duck eggs,  salt, baking powder, rice milk, oil, etc.

I also add 1 c. of potato flakes to my pancakes because GF tends to be dry and I learned from someone that adding potato flakes keeps stuff moist (weird, but it works!).  I add them to my bread, etc. 

So, it's pretty easy to adjust your favorite recipes.  You will have to experiment a little, but you can do it.  Don't let yourself get overwhelmed!  Do ONE recipe at time.  Each day when you figure out what you're going to cook for dinner, sit down early and see what you can substitute for that night.  Little by little.  Step by step.  If you do this, eventually everything you cook will be allergy free.

Hang in there.  Take some time to read the GF thread and when the GF cookbook comes out make sure you get a copy.  Those will be recipes that people have tried and like.  Personally, I don't like using store bought GF recipe books because I think half the time no one tasted that stuff!

God bless, hang in there,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
Amy,
Sorry you are going through this.  I know it is no fun.  I come from a family full of allergies.  One of my brothers could only eat chicken and potatoes for the longest time.  He was allergic to just about everything.  He couldn't even have beef.  I have another brother who had to have this special super hypoallergenic formula until he was around 3 1/2 because he was allergic to everything and my mom could change her diet because she found out she was pregnant again.  With my own children, my ds is allergic to wheat and also has a gluten/casein problem.  I have to buy certain foods organic because although he isn't allergic to the food, he is allergic to whatever chemicals they use on the food.  When I fist found these things out I was overwhelmed by it all.  My ds's main snack was crackers.  What will I do?? We couldn't have crackers and I did buy the expensive substitutes for a while and then slowly faded them out.  Now, he eats super healthy, fruits and nuts are his main snack foods. 

I have found that most of the time it is easier to fix one meal for the whole family.  It really isn't that bad.  I don't have any special cookbooks, so I just change the recipe, foods I normally would make.  My DH actually like my gluten free cookies better than my regular ones or store bought ones. ;D  Everyone loves the muffins and you honestly can't tell the difference. I even make my own convenience foods like chicken nuggets.  I cut chicken br**st up into the size pieces I want, coat with my gluten free seasoned flour and bake in the oven in a pan that I have melted butter in.  I then let them cool and freeze them.  They are ready for when I need a quick lunch or we are going out and I will need to have a meal for my son.  Everyone likes these as well.  I did not always get it right the first time, but you can usually tell what needs to change to make them just right and once you get it, you got it.

Rice milk  really is a pretty good sub for reg. milk.  I even made hot chocolate with it this past Christmas.  I saw the other day in the health food store that they have rice milk ice cream.  I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on getting it for ds's b-day.  I usually just use frozen fruit, coconut or rice milk and honey.

Good luck.  It does get easier as you go.  Just take it one step at a time and before you know it you will be a pro at allergy cooking and people will be coming to you for advice. ;)  Before I could never imagine not giving my kids Ritz for their snack and now I can't believe that was their main snack.  How life changes!  One of the things that helps me the most is to think ahead.  Example:  if I am going out, how long will I be out and do I need to take any food with me.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
Re: Help! I just found out I have food allergies! (A primer for the newbies :)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 03:55:53 AM »
Amy, I sooo know where you are at.  When I found out I was allergic to milk, I had just spent 9 months pregnant and unable to breathe through my nose at all.  The doctors (including an ENT) told me all the congestion would likely go away after the baby was born.  They thought the cause was hormones.   ::)  It actually got worse because I was drinking a lot of milk while I was breastfeeding.  Later I also developed an allergy to cane sugar.

Just last year I developed an allergy to wheat, gluten, and corn.  I eat lots of vegetables, fruits and meat now.  I also make my own waffles, pancakes, and muffins.  (Thanks for the tip about potato flakes, Patti.  Can't wait to try that!)  Snacks are usually nuts and fruit.  I have found substitutes for almost everything (not pizza yet).  My favorite milk substitute is almond milk.  It has more body than does rice milk, and I can get it unsweetened.  Last night I fixed spaghetti with meat sauce and garlic bread for the whole family.  We all had seconds!  I have even found a way to make ranch dressing and dip without milk.

Start with one thing at a time, but do start with something that you can have as a quick meal.  It is no fun at all being very hungry and having nothing satisfying and filling on hand.  I make extras of whatever I am fixing and put it in the freezer just for this reason.  Planning ahead will make all of this a lot less intimidating!

I have to go now, but later I will try to let you know what products I use that we really like and give you some recipes.  I will be praying for you...
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »
I agree with the other posts.  I've known I had food allergies for a while (7 years) but my allergist was not too concerned since my molds, pollen, grass, weeds, and animals were higher.  I've been on shots for those things for the last several years and all the congestion, coughing etc has been improved for a long time.  However, eczema that I've had for the last 20 years is so much worse than ever.  I had them pull the chart to see what foods I tested allergic too.  I was shocked to find wheat, corn, soy, cow milk, eggs, fish, beef, and peanuts.  I am on the candida cleanse and was eating 4-6 eggs a day.  I took those foods out (that I was still eating) ONE AT A TIME and found that wheat and eggs really aggravate the eczema.  Peanuts give me headaches and I'm still finding out how the others affect me and some I still haven't eliminated.  My eczema isn't cured yet, but it is a lot better. You may be surprised that you were feeling worse than you thought when you take to food allergies out.  I know I was.
Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 04:23:06 PM »
Thank you all so much for the guidance and encouraging words.  I seem to have passed the acceptance stage as I can now talk about my allergy problem without crying.  I just cried out to God and prayed for quite a while a few days ago and had a sudden clarity to the situation.  It's as if God just organized all the information in my head so that when my dh came home, I was able to explain to him in simple terms what was going on.  I came to the point where I could no longer deny the need to deal with this and that the option of ignoring it was no longer available to me. 

Everyone has been soooo supportive and God has been guiding me to simple solutions every day.  I was very frustrated a couple days ago when I was hungry and couldn't find anything to eat!  Every time I opened the fridge or pantry, all I saw were things I couldn't eat.  So, I sat down and started making a list of all the things I CAN eat.  Now, when I'm hungry, I look at that list instead...much more encouraging.  I'm also compiling a list of dinners I make that I'm not allergic to.  For instance, we really like beef roast made in the crockpot with potatoes and carrots.  I can still eat that :)  I found there are many meals I already make that I'm not allergic to.  Breakfast and lunch are more of a challenge, but I think a good gluten free/yeast free muffin recipe would help with breakfast, and I love the idea of making chicken nuggets ahead of time and freezing for a quick and easy lunch. 

One question I have is about my yeast allergy.  My highest allergen was yeast.  I'm wondering if that means I have an overgrowth of yeast in my system.  We're not a family that uses antibiotics, but I had an ectopic pregnancy last year that required emergency surgery at which point they gave me antibiotics to prevent infection.  I didn't realize the importance of supplementing with probiotics at that time.  From what I've read so far, this event could have triggered the chain reaction that led to where I am now.  How do I know if I have an overgrowth of yeast?  My Dr. said western medicine doesn't have a test for that and I don't know if I can afford what the ND would charge to find out.  Is there any danger in assuming I have a yeast overgrowth and taking something like nystatin (keeping in mind I'm pregnant)?  I'm not sure I'll have relief from whatever symptoms the yeast allergy is causing just by cutting yeast out of my diet if I have too much yeast in my system continuing to grow. 

I know I still have more reading to do and a lot more to learn, but I do appreciate the help from all of you.  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. 

Blessings,
Amy

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 06:23:18 PM »
Amy,

Being allergic to yeast is different then having an internal problem with candida.  The yeast you're allergic to is the stuff you find in bread products that make them rise or the kind used as a filler in foods.  Candida internally can certainly cause health issues but I don't jump on that bandwagon to quickly.  If there was anyone ever a candidate for candida it would have been my son (9 months straight of antibiotics) and he had none.   So, it could be a possibility, but if you're taking probiotics now (even though you weren't then), it's not a guarantee you have candida.

I'm glad the Lord has given you some peace.  You WILL find this gets easier as time goes.  And you will notice you feel better (even if you don't think you feel bad now). 

God bless you,

patti

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:01:40 AM »
Thanks Patti,

Do you have any idea about yeast in fermented drinks?  I just heard that kombucha tea has yeast that develops during the fermentation process.  Also, kefir has yeast and I make a fermented soda from a ginger culture starter that may develop yeast as it ferments too.  On the allergy test, I came up allergic to brewer's yeast and baker's yeast, so I'm wondering if that means I'm allergic to these fermented drinks.  I know Dr. Mercola says some people with milk allergies can handle milk if it's fermented, but when you add the yeast allergy into the mix, that might not be true. 

Also, I've come to another question I can't find an answer to.  My ND said the lab uses the extracted protein of a food (egg, milk, etc.) to test for the allergy in a person.  Because I know that proteins can be damaged in cooking, I'm wondering if they use the protein from raw eggs, milk, etc. or has it been cooked?  Wouldn't this make a difference in the test results?  Dr. Mercola also says that some people with egg allergies can handle them if they're raw, and those with milk allergy may handle raw milk just fine.  Do I just need to try these one at a time and see what happens?  I used to drink raw milk and raw eggs (in my protein shake) every morning, but since they came up on my allergy test I cut them out with everything else. 

One more question, I'm having great difficulty making bread, muffins, pancakes, etc. without eggs and yeast.  I have goat milk to substitute for the cow milk, but I can't seem to get anything to come out normal without eggs and/or yeast.  I've tried that egg replacer stuff, but it doesn't work.  I've talked to all the duck egg sellers in the area and it seems that ducks take a few months break from laying eggs here in Maine where it's so cold in the winter.  Specifically, I'd love to make cornbread, muffins, pancakes, pizza dough, and brownies.  If anyone has recipes for these they'd like to share, I'd be eternally greatful. 

Blessings,
Amy

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:07:11 PM »
Thanks Patti,

Do you have any idea about yeast in fermented drinks?  I just heard that kombucha tea has yeast that develops during the fermentation process.  Also, kefir has yeast and I make a fermented soda from a ginger culture starter that may develop yeast as it ferments too.  On the allergy test, I came up allergic to brewer's yeast and baker's yeast, so I'm wondering if that means I'm allergic to these fermented drinks.  I know Dr. Mercola says some people with milk allergies can handle milk if it's fermented, but when you add the yeast allergy into the mix, that might not be true. 

Also, I've come to another question I can't find an answer to.  My ND said the lab uses the extracted protein of a food (egg, milk, etc.) to test for the allergy in a person.  Because I know that proteins can be damaged in cooking, I'm wondering if they use the protein from raw eggs, milk, etc. or has it been cooked?  Wouldn't this make a difference in the test results?  Dr. Mercola also says that some people with egg allergies can handle them if they're raw, and those with milk allergy may handle raw milk just fine.  Do I just need to try these one at a time and see what happens?  I used to drink raw milk and raw eggs (in my protein shake) every morning, but since they came up on my allergy test I cut them out with everything else. 

One more question, I'm having great difficulty making bread, muffins, pancakes, etc. without eggs and yeast.  I have goat milk to substitute for the cow milk, but I can't seem to get anything to come out normal without eggs and/or yeast.  I've tried that egg replacer stuff, but it doesn't work.  I've talked to all the duck egg sellers in the area and it seems that ducks take a few months break from laying eggs here in Maine where it's so cold in the winter.  Specifically, I'd love to make cornbread, muffins, pancakes, pizza dough, and brownies.  If anyone has recipes for these they'd like to share, I'd be eternally greatful. 

Blessings,
Amy

Hi Amy,

Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong here, and you may have to do more research but this is my best "guess."  I thought that Kombucha and kefir develop probiotics properties when they are made????  That would be different from yeast.  Brewers yeast and bakers yeast are both things you add to something.  My thinking is probiotic drinks would NOT fall in that category.  Doesn't kefir use dairy?  If you're allergic to dairy you may not be able to have kefir.  Yes, some people can handle raw or fermented dairy if they have a dairy allergy.  My experience has been that only applies if the allergy is in the "low" range in the first place.  So it might depend on exactly how far up the scale you showed allergic.  Low end, you might be able to handle the fermented stuff.  Any higher then that I would place my bet on your body not being able to handle it. 

The lab I know of that does allergy testing uses the raw protein.  Not sure about others.  Whether you can handle them raw goes back to the end of paragraph 1.  Depends how high on the scale you showed allergic.

Ducks do molt, but not for long.  The farm I buy my eggs from has been in "molt down"  ;D for months because it's been so cold here.  I can buy duck eggs at my local health food store.  They cost $5.19/dz (grrrr) but we need them for all the reasons you state so we pay the price and cut in other areas.  One thing I do to try and combat the molting time is always buy 10 dozen at a time and store some in a spare fridge we have.  That way we at least have a lot if they do molt and I will hopefully have to buy less at the HFS. 

I just googled "yeast substitute" and a bunch of stuff came up.  One thing that caught my eye was someone mentioned soda bread.  It's irish bread made with baking soda instead of yeast.  You might try googling recipes for soda bread and you may come up with recipes for stuff you want to make. 

I found this:  "Bette Hagman has a whole section on yeast-free breads in her "Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread", more than twenty varieties. From a brief perusal, it looks as though she relies on baking powder and baking soda for leavening."

One thing I found cooking gluten free is to search and research.  I was originally going to get rid of my GF gourmet book because she uses dairy and eggs.  Before I pitched it I scanned through it again and discovered that I could make most of her recipes using my subsititutes for dairy and eggs.  And so far, they're good!  Use the internet.  I have found it a valuable source.  I do have one that is allergic to yeast but we have decided to let that one go for other reasons and just deal with her big allergies instead. 

One other thing - after you've cut everything out for 4-6 months and you've had a clean diet from them, then you can go and test these things you're wondering about.  If you've never had a reaction before and you eat them after being free of them for that length of time, you will might get a reaction (be it hives, headaches, dizziness, eczema, whatever).  Then you'll know if you can handle the raw stuff.  Right now, you're still close enough to your old diet that your body might not react outwardly because it has gotten "used" to the inflammation caused by the allergen. 

hth

patti

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 03:25:02 PM »
Although we usually think of probiotics as good bacteria the term can refer to any potentially beneficial bacteria OR yeasts. We actually need some types of yeast in the body for health.
Especially the kombucha has natural yeasts -- symbiotic culture of bacteria & yeasts = SCOBY which is the essence of kombucha....
Healthy kefir grains also carry natural yeasts.

Will you react to these natural yeasts ? I don't know if there is any other way to find out than through trial and error. Since kombucha and kefir are evolving organisms it is likely that there are traces of the common brewing and baking yeasts in there. However they are not the only strains, so you might handle it just fine. In the naturally occurring yeasts you have a broader range of types or yeast and they tend to maintain a balance with each other.

If I were you I would probably just cut out the questionable items and stick with organic meats, low glycemic fruits, berries and veggies and rice for a few months. Initially it seems hard, but I have found it is actually easier with faster prep time than trying to substitute on a daily basis...if your family is up for the ride.  :)  OR if you yourself are willing to have salads, rice and veggies as the base for your meals and simply reserve meats from the families meals to add to those. Br. rice especially freezes well, so you can  cook it up by the large pot. Salads too can be prepped several times a week...

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
Thanks Patti,

Blessings,
Amy

hi Amy, i used to follow an allergen free diet, where i was allergic to eggs, dairy, etc.  i used the egg replacer for all the recipes i could have if i left the eggs out.  here is how a friend taught me to do it:

whip with a wire whisk:

2 T. ground flax seed
1/2 c. water
2 T. eNergy brand egg replacer

this makes enough for 2 eggs in cookies, muffins, etc.  i always had great success with doing it this way.   hope this helps!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Just a couple days ago discovered my world has changed as I know it.  I found out I'm allergic to dairy, egg, gluten, peanuts, almonds and...sugar!  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for a couple of things that have stumped me.  

1. I'm not sure what to eat for breakfast.  We find that we do really well (read don't do so hot) with a high protein breakfast.  Eggs and toast or hot cereal with a large glass of raw cow's milk were our normal.  I have tried a hot cereal with just nuts before and it still just didn't seem to do the trick even with lots of fat...family was hungry soon and got cranky due to blood sugar drops b4 the next snack/meal came around.  What are some good options.  I'm having trouble thinking outside my box!

2.  Some can do goats milk in place of cow's milk. We have had/milked nubians in the past and have no problem to adding a few to our cow herd, but I know that not everyone can do goats milk...can they?  My friend seems to be tolerating very well but on her ELISA she did not show a goats milk allergy. Mine did. Its was lower than cows but still moderately high (a high 3). I'm thinking that wouldn't be a good idea.  Input?

3.  Patti, has mentioned that most ppl who can't do chicken eggs can do duck.  I have good access to duck eggs (and about a year ago we got rid of our duck flock because I was so tired of the nasty poopy eggs so we just stuck with chicken  :().  Anyway, not a big deal to buy eggs or get more ducks but I am SCARED to eat them.  I really want to get better and for some reason am just really concerned I will eat them and not know they are causing me inflammation.  Anyone tried duck eggs and couldn't do them either?  I seem to recall someone that tried but couldn't.

4. I tried to make my normal blender rice pancakes (we always had rice even b4 test results to rotate grains to prevent forming food allergies.  ::) ...THAT worked well!  ;D) but it seemed to gum up on me in the blender becasue of the flax sub and wouldnt mix then I had to add a whole bunch of water but then it was to watery.  Anyone make pancakes with a blender recipe and flax?  I have tons of blender batter recipes that I have used for years for muffins, waffles, and pancakes with non-gluten grains that I could really use now!

5. Can I grind millet, rice, buckwheat in my grain grinder?  I have a k-tec.  Will that work?

I may have more question but those are my biggies for now!  TIA!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:22:56 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
# The K-Tec Kitchen Millâ„¢ grinds: Wheat
# Oats
# Rice
# Triticale
# Dried Pinto Beans
# Dried Green Beans
# Popcorn, (cornmeal consistency)
# Split Peas
# Buckwheat
# Rye
# Millet
# Sorgum (Milo)
# Dried Mung Beans
# Soybeans
# Dried Field Corn
# Chick Peas

The K-Tec Kitchen Millâ„¢ will not grind:
# Spices
# Sugar
# Sunflower Seeds
# Nuts (all types)
# Dried Fruits
# Sesame Seeds
# Poppy Seeds
# Flax Seeds
# Coffee Beans

http://www.harvestessentials.com/kteckitmil.html

YoopreMama

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »
I'm not an allergy pro...just some thoughts IN CAPS...:)

Just a couple days ago discovered my world has changed as I know it.  I found out I'm allergic to dairy, egg, gluten, peanuts, almonds and...sugar!  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for a couple of things that have stumped me. 
I THINK I MENTIONED THE SUPER ALLERGY GIRL COOKBOOK/WEB SITE TO YOU ALREADY...http://www.thesuperallergycookbook.com/ SHE USES SUGAR, BUT YOU CAN SUB.  WOULD YOU USE TOFU?  I THINK SHE HAS A SCRAMBLED EGG RECIPE W/ IT.  I LOVE THE BOOK AND AM ORDERING MY OWN.
1. I'm not sure what to eat for breakfast.  We find that we do really well (read don't do so hot) with a high protein breakfast.  Eggs and toast or hot cereal with a large glass of raw cow's milk were our normal.  I have tried a hot cereal with just nuts before and it still just didn't seem to do the trick even with lots of fat...family was hungry soon and got cranky due to blood sugar drops b4 the next snack/meal came around.  What are some good options.  I'm having trouble thinking outside my box!
HOPEFULLY, YOUR BODIES WILL ADJUST TO THE NEW WAY OF EATING [WHEN OF COURSE, YOU GET THERE ;)], AND BE MORE SATIATED WITH THE FOOD.  SOUPS?  MEAT?  SKILLET STIR-FRY?  MY BLENDER PANCAKE RECIPE MAY WORK...WILL TRY AND LINK:  http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,16986.msg169783.html#msg169783

I have made it w/ water...the egg is optional.  I do add some flax...have used brown rice, oats, buckwheat, millet, sorghum, etc. in various combos.  We've used it for a few year snow and love it.

You're in a great place here to get good help.   ;D

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 05:57:34 PM »
You know, our diet seemed so limited when we started, due to the fact that all the foods we use the most were now on the no list.  I'm learning though and it really isn't as rough as it seemed at first...  Sometimes it's easier to look at what you CAN have, rather than what you can't and go from there:

For grains we can do quinoa, millet, and rice.

For meats we seem to handle salmon, chicken, turkey and maybe lamb.

For veggies we have few limitations and can have lettuce, cabbage, onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, green beans, grean peas, squash, pumpkin, celery, and cucumbers... I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of, but these are the 'norms' at our house.

And we can do most fruits except strawberries and pineapple.  We can even do oranges!

Sunflower seeds and sunbutter.

We really can't have any 'tree' products and that seems to be one of our biggest culprits.  Nuts, coconuts, herbs/spices from woody type plants like cinnamon or marshmallow root...  Maple syrup, birch syrup, or smoked foods will give all of us reactions.      

We've just about decided that gluten free baking is only for special occasions, as the bean flours make us gassy and sick feeling and potato flour is out... really, we haven't found any of it to be spectacular anyway... so we're just eating foods whole for the moment.  But that's OK!  Theres still lots to choose from.

A typical breakfast usually has the grain of the day cooked and tossed with a meat of the day that I have stir fried... maybe with some veggies or fruit.  So chicken and apples stir fried and tossed with quinoa.  

Lunch is simple and small for us.  Like a plate of apples with sun butter.  Leftover breakfast it pretty typical also.  My favorite lunch is sweet potatoes with ghee and a piece of the same meat we had for breakfast.  Often I make a big pot of soup and we have that for lunch and dinner.  

Dinner is either soup and salad or meat and salad.

We have fruit in between for snacks.  

Most of the family can also have popcorn, so that is a typical evening snack.  But that is the only form they eat corn any more and the goal is to only have it every 3-4 days... though sometimes they cheat.  

Really, my diet is the most restricted at the moment, as most of the family can have chocolate, potatoes/nightshades, beans and peas, beef and pork.  But I can't have those, so we don't include them in meal plans.  Sometimes we throw them in for variety for those folks who can tolerate them.  

I'm so thankful that my cup of coffee once or twice a week don't seem to affect either me or Batman! ;D  I'm so blessed!  

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »
Ah sweet, Jen.  So many questions in the beginning.  It DOES feel overwhelming, but as D&L said, it gets so much easier as times goes.  So, answers to your questions.

1) Use the duck eggs.  Don't make your life any more miserable then it already feels!  And, honey, if you can have ducks, by all means, get 'em!  I pay $5 a dozen for duck eggs and I feel like they're gold when I touch them.   :D

As far as reacting to them.  In the beginning, it is not likely you'll see any reaction at all.  I notice that my family can't eat them straight or they feel sick but I actually think it's their texture that bugs them.  I just don't give them to the 3 of us that can't stand them straight.  Mostly, I cook with them.  Flax is great for baking, but it doesn't work so well with other stuff.   This is hard to explain but you will just know when you think someone is reacting to something after you've been allergy free for a month or so.  It sounds weird, but you just start to be able to read their bodies and how they act or react to things.  So until you have further information, I'd use the duck eggs and not worry about it.  If you have someone get hives, eczema, or throw them up, then mark them off for that person.

That said, I do believe one can be allergic to duck eggs.  I believe my son is but his body is so inflamed it's frequently hard to tell if it's a new allergy popping up or an old one acting up.  But again, he was a high 6 on nearly every food.  So he's a different bird altogether.   ;D

2)  Use goats milk only for those that you know are not allergic to it.  If you're allergic, don't touch it.  At all.  How did your DS test?  If he tested okay, it's likely your others are probably okay.  No guarantees, but try it and see what happens.  Watch diligently.   If they haven't had goats milk in awhile, then you'll notice the allergy right away because they'll either have emotional reactions or physical ones.  Remember, a reaction can be three days later.  So you have to watch it for three days.  My husband had a *small* amount of dairy two days ago and today he reacted by being short (he's usually not) today.  If you feel uncomfortable using it, then go to the nut milks, or hemp milk (has more protein), etc.  Honestly, other then yogurt you'll find you don't use milk much anyway.  Maybe cooking.  We don't do cereal hardly ever just because it's so processed.  Once in awhile we do. 

3)  I will send you my flour blend.  It works really well.  Because it's a blend of multiple flours it is a complete protein and much more healthy and filling.  If you can PM me your email I will send you some recipes tonight.  I know that feeling of not knowing what to do and I'm thankful my best friend gave it all to me.  I'll type it up and send it tonight.

What you will find, is that your family may snack more often.  I know my kids are grazers because of our diet so I make sure I have healthy snacks for them.  They eat a snack between each meal and one before bed.  I use homemade granola (the recipe that was in beeyoutiful's magazine), my homemade trailmix, GF granola bars, etc. 

Breakfasts:

GF toast w/butter and homemade jam
sausage
juice or fruit

Pancakes w/butter and maple syrup

Banana bread
bacon

GF toast
salmon

muffins
turkey bacon

Lunch:

Usually dinner leftovers
turkey hotdogs
salmon patties
taquitos (there's only one brand that doesn't have potato in it, it is DeliMex)
Nitrate free lunch meat (hormel) with fruit/veggies
(lunch is my hard one to figure out)

Dinner:

buffalo
beef (not for DS)
salmon
cod
soups
stews
chicken
pork
wild game

rice
salads
quinoa
millet
fruit and greens

My dinners generally consist of a meat and either a salad and cooked veggie or a salad and fruit of some sort.

What you will find is you'll basically eat a meat, fruit and veggie diet.  The other thing I had to do which was very unsavory to me was we had to add pork to our diet more then I would like.  My guys cannot make breakfast without meat.  So this is one place where I fudge.  We either have bacon or sausage daily and I try to very it between pork, turkey, chicken, etc.  And my boy I give salmon in between to make sure he's not getting the same thing over and over.  But where the rest of us aren't allergic to pork, I just use it.  I buy nitrate free bacon (spendy!) and I have a great pork farm where I get dinner pork, some bacon, etc.  I buy all of my stuff from organic type farms.  So the stuff that I would prefer not to eat, we do it as healthily as we can and thank God for it and move on.  So that is what you will find with things like hot dogs, bacon, etc. 

The only bread we've had success with is Pamela's GF bread and it works great if you don't add the 2 extra tbls of water she says to and cook it for 10 minutes longer.  However, it's only good for toast.  It would be terrible for sandwiches.  But all GF bread is bad for sandwiches.

Can't think of anything else right now.  I'll start typing up recipes.  I may try to add them to the recipe thread here as well.  I get asked for them A LOT.   ;)

Keep asking questions.  It's how you'll get things switched over.  You can do this.   :)

patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
Okay - I just did 5 pages of recipes in a Word file.  I can't seem to attach a Word file to the GF recipe thread.  So if you send me your email I'll send you the file.  I will try to post it on the In Your Face Facebook Recipe page but I'm not sure if I can since I don't have an account there.  I'll check.

patti

YoopreMama

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 03:04:43 AM »
This may be a source of bread for you...no gluten, milk, dairy...I love it!  $25 order and they'll ship...$4.06 for a good sized loaf.  Other kinds, too--this is the one I tasted.

http://www.samisbakery.com/products/breads/detail.cfm?id=13

Look at all these great responses, Jen!  Be of good cheer!   :-*

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 05:38:48 AM »
Okay - I just did 5 pages of recipes in a Word file.  I can't seem to attach a Word file to the GF recipe thread.  So if you send me your email I'll send you the file.  I will try to post it on the In Your Face Facebook Recipe page but I'm not sure if I can since I don't have an account there.  I'll check.

patti

Patti, you'd have to do a copy/paste thing.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
I learned sooo much through your posts!  :-* I would like to reply at length but I'm a little under the gun today...I've gotta get my food co-op order together for Wed.(!) and hubby was able to give me a good half day to look for recipes and figure out what to buy.  My co-op has some gluten free baking mixes and I may do that this month just to get me through until I can figure out how to make my own.  Would anyone have any experience/recommendation w/any of these grain mixes?

Bob's Red Mill

Biscuit & baking mix- wf, gf, df (25 lbs/$34.70 = a good deal?)
bread mix -wf, gf, df (25 lbs/44.50!...cheaper than buying bread though?)

Namaste Foods(I've had their chocolate cake mix b4 and it is yummy!  We get for birthdays when we could do wheat just because it is GOOD.)  There mixes are not in bulk and more spendy than above Bob's Red mill.

Bread mix
waffle/pancake mix
muffin mix

I would like to grind my own grain as much as possible for maximum nutritional value in the future as well.  So many questions and unknowns!  I'm almost not worried about bread cause there won't be much use for it if I can't use it for sandwiches. Muffins and biscuits would work just fine I'm thinking.  But they do have some breads too:

Food for life: (ezekiel bread makers) brown rice bread, china black rice bread, rice almond bread

Any experience?

They have other ingredints I could order but honestly I'm not sure what I would need: Guar gum, potato startch, xantham gum and others.  I know I've think I've seen these ingredients in some of the gf recipes I've come across.  I won't be able to order for another month but that may be better than getting things I don't need.  Any essentials?

I'm gonna order quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat, corn and polenta and got millet. Is amaranth okay? Good?  Also, is couscous gf?

I love my food co-op! The have saved me bundle the last 7+ years.  If anyone one the west coast isn't aware of Azure standard they have lots of allergy free diet ingredients.  You can order a free catalog from their site or call: http://www.azurestandard.com/  If your not in their service area it may be worth your time to locate a food co-op that is.

Gotta get!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:46:05 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 01:23:04 PM »
couscous is from wheat

xantham gum is created off a sucrose or glucose fermented with a bacterium(were you the one with sugar cane allergy?)

potato starch is of course from potatoes (nightshades??)  and JUST the starch--- most people with allergies do so much better limiting starches and simple carbs

guar gum is from a legume...I've not used it.

amaranth-not familiar with it. Supposedly a low allergen.

Essentials for me would be millet, quinoa, buckwheat, GMO cornmeal/grits, and brown rice. You can vary those "grains" to serve with meat and veggies or as cooked puddings and hot cereals for breakfast.
A mix of corn, buckwheat, nut or sunflower seed flours makes decent pancakes, muffins, and cobblers although I've never tried to do that without eggs.

I've not been happy with most GF baking mixes. We much preferred to do with out and come up with items using buckwheat, seed and nut, or cornmeal flours once we were ok to use starches and complex carbs again. I would suggest buying a small amount (1-5lbs) of a mix you'd like to try first, even if it's much more expensive.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
I have small quantities of the Bob's Red Mill mixes on hand for emergencies.  Most of the GF stuff has potato starch in it though so be careful.  Love the Namaste sweets for times we need them (birthdays, etc).  I use xanthan gum, not guar gum, and we have no issues with it.  Even from my most allery prone child.  Amaranth is good for a GF flour mix but for no other reason.  The only thing I would order a large quantity in is the brown rice flour.  The others, I would start small.  I buy all my stuff from Azure and have found them to be the best price for me (compared to local HFS). 

I was going to tell you that with the sugar cane allergy (which we all had), I still used evaporated cane juice and maple sugar as needed and all of our allergies have still gone down.  Probably the difference is we don't eat processed sugar and I don't use it in large quantities usually.  So I wouldn't stress too much abou that one.  Be measured, but if you use it I wouldn't worry about it unless you actually have a reaction.

patti

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 02:37:01 PM »
The oils naturally found in br. rice and br. rice flour tend to go rancid quickly. If you buy in bulk make sure you have freezer or other cool storage place available.