Author Topic: Hygiene and Sanitation in Public Restrooms  (Read 38743 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Hygiene and Sanitation in Public Restrooms
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:20:31 AM »
As every woman knows, in a crowded women's bathroom that doesn't have the paper seat covers, even if you dry the seat off the turn over in the bathroom stalls doesn't give time for germs on the seat to die.

I NEVER sit down on a public toilet!!  Never!  I straddle!!  If it wasn't for T-Tapp, I probably couldn't do it! LOL!!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Re: Hygiene and Sanitation in Public Restrooms
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 08:38:08 AM »
As every woman knows, in a crowded women's bathroom that doesn't have the paper seat covers, even if you dry the seat off the turn over in the bathroom stalls doesn't give time for germs on the seat to die.

I NEVER sit down on a public toilet!!  Never!  I straddle!!  If it wasn't for T-Tapp, I probably couldn't do it! LOL!!

Me neither...my dear mother always raised me to "hover" above the toilet seat.  The only time I sit is if I am unwell, and then I put a layer of toilet paper on the seat after I wipe it first.

My hubby thinks I am crazy!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 11:57:38 AM »

I don't either, but my kids are too short, what you gonna do?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »
Since we have gotten on the subject of public potty seats here is what I have saw and learned about them.

:o What im about to say might be missunderstood as being paranoid or some might think im just trying to freak ppl out but this is some of the things i witnessed myself while working a total of 14 years in the medical field ( nursing home 7 years  and worked with the mentally reatarded 7 years)

A------I used to take care of one man who had a form of STD that caused various wart things all over his privates and his upper thighs buttcoks area. The wart like lesions were on an area where when he sat on the potty they touched the seat. Most of the time those lesions were dry but sometimes they were inflammed and all flared up. That right there makes me not want to sit on a public toilet seat if I can help from it. A lot of ppl think the only wart STD is herpes but there are other lesser knowen wart STDs.  Thats just 1 example. I also witnessed many times ppl not washing their hands after going potty.   :o

B------I also used to take care of sever and profoundly mentally retarded adults
 ( mostly men). These men had once lived in a state owned hospital for the mentally retared. Since these men were so profoundly retarded they were sadly taken advantage of by the mildly retarded and  some of the staff in the state owned places years ago, as the result HEB B was given to many  of these men.  By state law we had to take them out and about so they could enjoy going to the store and other places ( i dont have a problem with that at all)  but what bothers me is when we took them out they always had to use the potty and when we took them to a potty they are often so messy getting poop and urine all over the place just like they do back at the group home. We had to carry stuff with us to clean up after them and clean them up also but alot of the staff did not disinfect the seats after the patients made their messes  cause they were to lazy.  And poop is one of the big spreaders of HEB B. They often done what is called rectal digging and then would go suck on their fingers and or go and touch things around the group home or store before the staff could catch them and get them cleaned up.

I saw this type of stuff happen alot and in many differant ways. I have saw these various patients get spit, boogers, urine, poop, period blood, sperm and barf all over things. Just because we cant see it or smell it does not mean its not there. For those who dont understand the nature of taking care of these types of ppl it requires bathing them, brushing their teeth, dressing them, having them use the potty instead of peeing on the floor, and much more. its hard work.

Because of this I take hand santizer and a baby wipe and clean off the grocery cart handles and I use my shirt or paper towels to open bathroom door handles. I know it sounds paranoid but I saw worse and it happens every day here and everywhere.

******* Please do not missunderstand and think all mentally retarded ppl are like this because many many of them do not behave in that way and are clean, so please dont missunderstand, I also took care of many patients who did not do yucky things as well. My 2 mentally retarded cousins and 1 mentally retared friend do not do those repulsive things because they were raised by loving parents and taught good behavior.*******

BUT....................... i tell you this to warn everyone to be careful and have your kids  and self wash your hands extra extra good after they use a public potty. I know little girls cant hover over a seat like we can , thats what freaks me out. I end up washing my kids hands for them over and over and put alcohol hand sanitizer on their hands after using a public potty. Also one can wipe the seat with hand santizer before sitting on them.

Offline P31Mom

• Learning
  • So much to learn, so little time
    • Michelle's Family
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 06:53:40 AM »

I understand "why" many people do this, but it realllllly bothers me that so many think it's okay to straddle the toilet, and pee on it or the floor, leaving other's to just deal with it.  I dont' know what a T-Tapp is, so this may not even apply to you.  PLEASE, don't take it personal.

Even if the toilet is wiped off afterwards, it's still disgusting.  When I have a toddler to take to the bathroom, they sometimes HAVE to sit (especially if they are handicapped).  If am a foster parent, so I frequently have different children in my home.  They are now exposed to the last persons urine.  It would be much safer for the public if everyone who can sit, would just sit. 

If the adult is handicapped they may have to sit or if their arms are weak and they can't hold themselves in that half-squat position, they wind up having to sit in other's urine.  My husband works with the adult mentally handicapped and when they go into public, using the public restrooms is a must for them.  When they got to go, THEY HAVE TO GO!

BTW, Wal Marts sells toilet seat covers that you can keep in your bag.  Also, you can carry antibacterial wipes to clean the toilet seat (which is what I do), but it always occurs to me how unfair it is that I'm having to clean someone else's urine off the seat because *they* don't want to touch another's urine.

Just my 2¢

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:29:25 AM »
I hover.  Just stand on the seat with my shoes and squat.  I've NEVER sat on a public toilet.  It is the epitomy of disgusting.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 08:41:15 AM »
I'd rather get gross germs on my butt than on my hands. I mean, how do you know that soap and water are washing ALL the germs off? And my hands will be touching food and kids and everything so I'd rather sacrifice my butt and avoid touching anything in the bathroom with my hands. Whenever I try to squat I end up losing my balance or my will to perservere and I end up touching the wall or something else  - ugh. And of course my toddlers can't squat but I can keep their hands off things reasonably well - well, most of the time  :P.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 09:20:45 AM »

I understand "why" many people do this, but it realllllly bothers me that so many think it's okay to straddle the toilet, and pee on it or the floor, leaving other's to just deal with it. 

Ummm....that is just really gross!  I don't think I have witnessed much urine on the seats or floors of a woman's bathroom, but....go to a man's and it is a whole different world!  Ha ha!  :D
Seriously, I can hover and not piddle on the seat or floor.  It really isn't as hard to do as it sounds.

JoyInHim

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 04:14:24 AM »
Lol, I agree.  I simply cannot 'perform' unless I'm sitting, lol!

And I've never considered a thin peice of toilet paper 'protection' so don't waste the time or paper!

I understand "why" many people do this, but it realllllly bothers me that so many think it's okay to straddle the toilet, and pee on it or the floor, leaving other's to just deal with it.  I dont' know what a T-Tapp is, so this may not even apply to you.  PLEASE, don't take it personal.

Even if the toilet is wiped off afterwards, it's still disgusting.  When I have a toddler to take to the bathroom, they sometimes HAVE to sit (especially if they are handicapped).  If am a foster parent, so I frequently have different children in my home.  They are now exposed to the last persons urine.  It would be much safer for the public if everyone who can sit, would just sit. 

If the adult is handicapped they may have to sit or if their arms are weak and they can't hold themselves in that half-squat position, they wind up having to sit in other's urine.  My husband works with the adult mentally handicapped and when they go into public, using the public restrooms is a must for them.  When they got to go, THEY HAVE TO GO!

BTW, Wal Marts sells toilet seat covers that you can keep in your bag.  Also, you can carry antibacterial wipes to clean the toilet seat (which is what I do), but it always occurs to me how unfair it is that I'm having to clean someone else's urine off the seat because *they* don't want to touch another's urine.

Just my 2¢

JoyInHim

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 04:16:09 AM »
Woah!  You are -talented-   ;D

(I'd have to undress in front of my toddler to try that feat.....maybe I'm dumb, but I'm not that fearful about all this.)

I hover.  Just stand on the seat with my shoes and squat.  I've NEVER sat on a public toilet.  It is the epitomy of disgusting.

Offline P31Mom

• Learning
    • Michelle's Family
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 05:16:14 AM »
I'd rather get gross germs on my butt than on my hands. I mean, how do you know that soap and water are washing ALL the germs off? And my hands will be touching food and kids and everything so I'd rather sacrifice my butt and avoid touching anything in the bathroom with my hands. Whenever I try to squat I end up losing my balance or my will to perservere and I end up touching the wall or something else  - ugh. And of course my toddlers can't squat but I can keep their hands off things reasonably well - well, most of the time  :P.

Handicapped people do not have a choice about whether they sit or not.  I've tried the toddler squat...and they ALWAYS peed on the toliet.  That's when I decided to start carrying stuff in the toliet to clean it with. 

Offline P31Mom

• Learning
    • Michelle's Family
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 05:19:36 AM »

I understand "why" many people do this, but it realllllly bothers me that so many think it's okay to straddle the toilet, and pee on it or the floor, leaving other's to just deal with it. 

Ummm....that is just really gross!  I don't think I have witnessed much urine on the seats or floors of a woman's bathroom, but....go to a man's and it is a whole different world!  Ha ha!  :D
Seriously, I can hover and not piddle on the seat or floor.  It really isn't as hard to do as it sounds.

WOW!  I can't believe you've never witnessed much urine in the womens bathroom!  I almost never can find toliet without pee on it in the Women's bathroom.  My hubby worked at Wal Mart for 5 years, and he said the women's bathroom was always dirtier than the men's, so we've had a totally different experience here in the south! 

Offline P31Mom

• Learning
    • Michelle's Family
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 05:23:59 AM »
Lol, I agree.  I simply cannot 'perform' unless I'm sitting, lol!

And I've never considered a thin peice of toilet paper 'protection' so don't waste the time or paper!

Then carry anti-bacterial wipes, so other's who *have* to sit after you won't catch your germs.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 06:30:01 AM »

WOW!  I can't believe you've never witnessed much urine in the womens bathroom!  I almost never can find toliet without pee on it in the Women's bathroom.  My hubby worked at Wal Mart for 5 years, and he said the women's bathroom was always dirtier than the men's, so we've had a totally different experience here in the south! 
TRUTH!! I'd rather clean five public men's restrooms than one women's restroom. It's just nasty what women leave behind for the next person who needs to relieve herself. If women weren't leaving wet seats behind, no one would care whether or not they straddled the seat.  :P :P :P :-\
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

JoyInHim

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 06:54:57 AM »
Could it be because so many Mom-types have to bring their little boys into the ladies' room to 'try' to pee correctly into the toilet?   ???  ;D

TRUTH!! I'd rather clean five public men's restrooms than one women's restroom. It's just nasty what women leave behind for the next person who needs to relieve herself. If women weren't leaving wet seats behind, no one would care whether or not they straddled the seat.  :P :P :P :-\

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 07:19:40 AM »
It must be the difference between a Northern and a Southern bathroom?!  :D Seriously, I have cleaned McDonald's bathrooms and my hubby cleaned out bathrooms at his parent's pizza house and we both agree that men's are ten times worse.  Not to mention the Ladies room at Big Lots is always conveniently being worked on and my kids always decide to hold it than to go in the men's.  Remind me to use the men's restrooms when traveling down South. LOL!  :D

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 08:13:53 AM »
UUUGGGHHHH!!!   I live in the south and my husband always refuses to take our daughter to the bathroom because he says it is so nasty....hhhmmmm, an excuse maybe? 
I think Wal-Mart bathrooms the world over are nasty.  I have never been in a clean one.  I will hardly take my children to Wal-Mart with me because I would hate to have to take them to the bathroom. 
I can't hover...never have been able to.  I put layers and layers of TP on the seat before I sit, however.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 09:07:44 AM »
By far I have always noticed mens bathrooms as being the most repulsive as well. As a teen I worked at a restaurant and had to clean the bathrooms and while working in group homes and a nursing home the mens Pottys were almost always the worse. Pee on the walls and floor. EWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I do think that when we females  float and hover over the potty seat we need to be sure to wipe off any droplets we might accidently leave on the seat. It is just common courtesy and respect.

Offline Amy Joy

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »
Registered Nurse said:  

If a public toilet has a traditional flusher instead of the automatic system, use your foot to push down the lever, or a sufficient wad of toilet paper. Handles are germy - maybe with things Bobbi Jo wrote about in her first post on this thread.  :o  

Where possible, use your wrists to turn sink faucets on and off.  Or, a thick paper towel or toilet paper can be used to turn off the faucets once your hands are clean and rinsed.

Use a paper towel to open the door handle as you are leaving.  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:24:43 PM by Amy Joy »

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 08:55:30 PM »
I have to agree with the women's restroom. i worked 7 years at Chuck E. Cheese's they were THE WORST!!  yucky women stuff and lil kids going in by themselves or with mommy. kids by themselves made the most disgusting messes. fingerpainting :o
   ummm and i just wanted to say that i don't think i would want my daughter going into the men's restroom-specially the ones with urinals and no stall...not what i want my daughter to see...just my honest opinion...sorry...
don't be mad ok? :)
kn

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 09:08:33 PM »

I don't either, but my kids are too short, what you gonna do?

For my older ones, I put down TP in a nice looking bathroom before they sit.  For my little ones, or for a nasty bathroom (all kids). I have them face the wall and stand on the back of the toilet seat.  They squat over the bowl (back to me)  and I support them under their arms.  This way you don't have to support their full weight.  So they are actually in the same "hover" position, except they are facing the other way. 

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 09:15:59 PM »
never could hover...not even camping...i mean squatting...
  landed on a cactus once...yoweee

Offline p31mama

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 03:59:47 AM »
Yep I'm in TX and my husband ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to take our daughter to the bathroom.  He says men's rooms are SOOOOO nasty!!!!!  Just curious as to the thought about taking little boys to the ladies room--- If you don't take him with you, do you send him to the men's room by himself??( my son is 3 1/2)  I also like the thought about just taking antibacterial wipes with you.  We all know that many people just aren't responsible or considerate, so we adapt.

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 05:49:34 AM »
IMO.. Never let a little child out of your sight.  I would not let a little boy into the mens bathroom by them selves until they were maybe 7 y. old.  Even then I would be right by the door and probably yell in before they went to see if anyone else was in there.  I guess I've heard too many horror stories.  I would just take the boy with me to the girls bathroom if Dad was not around.  I have even seen mom's lead older boys with eyes closed into girls bathroom.  LOL.  Better safe than sorry!! Safty of my kids comes before other womens opinions or comfort! Sorry.
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline africamissy

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 06:12:57 AM »
IMO.. Never let a little child out of your sight.  I would not let a little boy into the mens bathroom by them selves until they were maybe 7 y. old.  Even then I would be right by the door and probably yell in before they went to see if anyone else was in there.  I guess I've heard too many horror stories.  I would just take the boy with me to the girls bathroom if Dad was not around.  I have even seen mom's lead older boys with eyes closed into girls bathroom.  LOL.  Better safe than sorry!! Safty of my kids comes before other womens opinions or comfort! Sorry.
Jenny

Thank you!!  I still take my five yrold with me and he's big for his age.  I have a grown friend who had a bad experience when he was about five at a mall.  Better safe than sorry on this one. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 06:34:44 AM »
Shop at Target, they have "Family" bathrooms - no gender designation.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 06:55:17 AM »
I don't remember what age I stopped taking the boys into the womens restrooms but I DO know that it was MUCH older than 3 1/2. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 08:15:19 AM »
  I take our 7 yr. old ds. to the women's bathroom with me. I trust no one in the public when it comes to our innocent little boys. They have been warned what perverts are but what's a little boy to do compared to some large dude. We don't even trust our little boys when we go to large churches, even very conservative churches. I knew of too many perverts growing up who looked so "spiritual" and who were vultures on the inside. If i would let them go, i would be standing outside the door.  >:(

Offline tiffanyjwi

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 09:16:11 AM »
Shop at Target, they have "Family" bathrooms - no gender designation.  ;)
Our Wal-Mart has a family bathroom too.  That is the way to go imo.  They only have one potty so you can all go in together.  I see more and more of the family bathrooms, which is nice.  I often wondered what Dad's did with little ones still in diapers and they needed a change, they don't have those changing things in the men's room.

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 09:43:40 AM »
Am a germaphobic "squatter" and would never sit on a public toilet seat unless I were on death's door!   ;D ;D ;D  For those brave souls who enter behind me and actually SIT, I do take care to avoid peein' on the seat... but I also KNOW others before me were not so kind... so again, no sittin' for me!   :o

For our kids:  Boys came into the women's bathroom with me until about 8.  Then I would make sure the men's room was empty and stand watch until they were done.  Now, our oldest can take the younger one and they go together - but NOT alone!!  Even now, we still make sure the men's room is empty and stand watch.  If the younger is with me alone, I will still bring him to the women's (making sure there are no gals present) - unless the men's are single stalls, in which case he can go in alone and I guard the door.

I watched a HORRIBLE documentary about a darling 8 year old boy who was killed by a teenager in a McDonald's bathroom.  It was truly one of the most gruesome things I have ever seen... so, our kids will have an "attendant" until they are bigger than me.

For our boys, until they were old enough to stand up and pee into the toilet without "important parts" touching, we would hold them, facing backwards, so they could pee in.  When they got a little older, but still not quite tall enough, we would stand behind them and let them stand on our feet to give them that extra height.

For our daughter, we stand with her facing the rear of the toilet and hold her over (hands under her thighs, and her back against our stomachs).  She can then hover over without sitting on the seat.

We do, definitely, love the family bathrooms!!!
J
J   
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com