Author Topic: Infant Food Intolerances [Allergies] & Breastfeeding [Nursing]  (Read 40261 times)

Offline Victory

• Learning
Hello!

I am new to post here but not new as far as being a reader.  Knowing that there is so much knowledge here, I figured some of you may be able to help.  My little 9 month old has been challenged with an immature digestive system and possible food allergies.  I am on a gluten, dairy,  corn, and chicken free diet as well as adding in lots of fermented food and drink.  This has helped tremendously but there is/are still something(s) out there that is offending.  Do any of you know how long it takes for something that I would eat to get into my breast milk?  And then how long would it take for that offending food to irritate and cause a reaction in him?  I am getting overwhelmed at times to figure out what is causing problems for him.  Any help would be a huge blessing!

Thanks,
Victory

1 Cor. 15:57  But thanks be to God!  He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
Re: Infant Food Intolerances [Allergies] & Breastfeeding [Nursing]
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 03:50:39 AM »
Dear Victory,

Been there and doing that.  :-)  My experience after three this way is that liquids reach my milk in about 12 hours and food in about 24 hours.  Depending upon how built up the offending foods are in your body, it can take up two weeks (maybe more) to completely be gone from your system.  Get good at reading labels at least until you know your body is cleaned out.  I have found that the better and more consistent I stay with my diet that the occassional "oops" doesn't seem to cause as much trouble cuz it is not built-up into a toxic amount.  Does that make sense?  :-)

You've got a good start on what to look for - may I recommend trying to eliminate eggs?  I know that sounds rough but it is one of the highest allergans out there and all of mine react to them.  Peanuts are another culprit that children can be sensitive to.  Also, if their dairy reactions are strong enough, watch to see how they react to beef - same critter.  Try just one thing at a time - eliminate it for a couple of weeks and then eat it again (lots) to see if there is a reaction.

hth,
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline Victory

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:27:04 AM »
Thanks, Lori.

I have now eliminated eggs.  I guess I had wondered about them as well.  And, nuts have been out for 3 months too.  Sometimes I wonder what will be left for me to eat.  He went in for his 9 month appt. on Monday.  We chose to have some blood allergy tests done.  I don't think they will be very accurate as I have been off the main irritants for several months already.  He could just have intolerances and not true allergies too.  This all gets so confusing and trying to be sure.   :-\ 

Trusting in HIM,
Victory
1 Cor. 15:57  But thanks be to God!  He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:14:18 AM »
Victory,

I know it can seem very frustrating and limiting to find things to eat.  I am on my third that I nurse and deal with this.  And I nurse typically 18+ months.  But . . . it does get easier as you go and you learn different things.   ;)

Almost any meat is fine and the protein makes good rich milk so don't limit yourself there.  Most fruits and veges are fine and obviously healthy for you as well.  The only caution is to watch for a reaction to the cabbage family - they can cause gas or colicky type symptoms.    Legumes are healthy and a good source of fiber but don't over-do it on them either cuz of the gas issue.

For dairy there are substitutes - Smart Balance Light is both gluten and casein free - only one that I know of.  IF your baby can tolerate raw goat's milk that is good for you to use and drink in place of cow dairy milk.  And then you can use that to make your own yogurt (plain yogurt is essentially same as sour cream), cream cheese, ice cream, etc.  If not, you can always use rice milk for when you need milk.  Not really anything you'd want to drink but acceptable for cooking purposes.  Stay away from soy milk products.  The hardest thing to find a substitute for is regular cheese.  Haven't found one yet so go without most of the time or have a VERY occassional splurge.

For eggs - if you can find them - try duck or turkey eggs.  My boys can tolerate duck eggs in place of chicken eggs.  Otherwise there is an egg substitute that you can use in baking and such but not for "making eggs".

Check the gluten free thread for ideas on gluten free sustitutes.

If your child has true allergies they will show up on the test regardless of frequency.  If it is just intolerances they may not show up, or show up with less intensity.  That is good.  My naturopath said that babies digestive tracts are "porous" for the first two years so that time period is most critical to feed properly.  If there is no ongoing irritation then as they age the intestinal wall becomes more "normal" and they are less sensitive and can have these foods on occassion.  In fact at that point if you follow a nourishing traditions/makers diet type model they may be able to eat about anything.

Hang in there - it can be done.   ;D  And it is SOOO worth it to make the sacrifices to be able to nurse your baby and see him healthy.  Besides, if you think it is hard to find food for YOU to eat while nursing, imagine trying to find food that he can eat directly.   :(   

Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline Victory

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »
Lori,

Sorry it has been a bit for me to get back to this.  All of his tests came back negative.  So he has no true allergies.  I am thankful also that he is not anemic or B12 deficient.  So we just keep pressing on.  I will have to ask around for a source for other eggs.  I don't think we can do goat milk as I have had some yummy raw goat cheese and it hasn't gone over well.  :-[ 

It is my prayer that after some time on this "diet" using principles from nourishing traditions, maker's diet and body ecology, his system will be strong and able to tolerate most foods when he is a couple years older.  If nothing else, his mama is eating healthier than ever!

We sent our dog away for 5 days.  She came back this afternon.   Someone suggested that she may be bringing in molds from outside. I will be curious to see if there is anything that bugs the baby with her home now.

Victory
aka investigative researcher :P

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »
It is my prayer that after some time on this "diet" using principles from nourishing traditions, maker's diet and body ecology, his system will be strong and able to tolerate most foods when he is a couple years older.  If nothing else, his mama is eating healthier than ever!

Victory,

Well, Praise the Lord it really isn't true allergies - that means there is a light at the end of the tunnel.   :D  And I think you are right - in a couple of years his system will be stronger and as long as you have a healthy variety he should be able to eat most things.

Take care,
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 07:19:01 AM »
I posted this earlier under ezcema and didn't get any feedback...I'm wondering how long I have to cut milk from my diet until I would see improvement in my ds ezcema if it's due to a milk intolerance. Thanks!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 08:16:46 AM »
Dr. Lendon Smith focuses on natural treatment of allergies.  You may be able to find one of his books at the library; "Feed Yourself Right" or "Feed Your Child Right", or others. 

I seem to remember that he has stated that milk is one of the worst and takes a month to cleanse from your system.

We followed his recommendations with our oldest to relieve severe food allergies and had wonderful results. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 03:31:19 AM »
 :) Does anyone know how young you can have your child tested for food allergies with something like the ELISA test? I'm reading that most docs won't do it until the child is one year old. Is there a reason for this? Thanks!

Offline Victory

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 06:43:38 AM »
My son was tested at his 9 month check.  I don't know if it was the ELISA test tho'.  I am not sure how accurate it was because I had been off the offending foods for 4 months+.  I think my son may just be intolerant and have a very weak digestive system.  When I went off corn his little patch of eczema between his eyebrows cleared up right away.  He since has gotten two spots on the backs of his arms.  Not sure from what but I am hoping with my diet and his they will disappear.

Victory

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 10:56:34 AM »
I'm wanting some opinions on what to do with my ds, almost 7 months old...He's allergic to milk but thus far has been exclusively breasfed. The past week though he's been extremely irritable. I'm questioning if I should just start him on food, not wean, but do food in addition to breastmilk. I guess I'm just a little nervous since he already has one known allergy. Any thoughts?

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 11:48:06 AM »
If you do start him on food, I would highly recommend avoiding the big allergens--wheat, eggs, dairy, soy, citrus, berries, etc.  I gave my oldest son wheat at four months (if only we could go back in time   :'(), and he has terrible allergies.  I always had to feed mine actual food around seven months as well.  I just don't think I make enough milk at that point for them, but I'm now extremely careful about what they eat.  My youngest two have no allergies, so maybe that helped.  The first things I fed them were mashed avacado, and young coconut, followed by veggies--peas, green beans blended with potato, sweet potato, etc.  When I did finally give them eggs, I just gave them the yolk, since the white is way more allergenic than the yolk.  That kept them happy until they were around 1 year old.  Another plus of not feeding them goldfish, crackers, etc. is that they still eat their veggies, and choose fruit over junk most of the time!! 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 07:59:18 AM »
I'm wanting some opinions on what to do with my ds, almost 7 months old...He's allergic to milk but thus far has been exclusively breasfed. The past week though he's been extremely irritable. I'm questioning if I should just start him on food, not wean, but do food in addition to breastmilk. I guess I'm just a little nervous since he already has one known allergy. Any thoughts?
I guess your question confused me.  Are you giving baby milk in addition to breastmilk?  Or are you drinking milk and causing a reaction in baby? 

In either case, goat's milk might help.  Also here's another thread on supplementing baby when breastfeeding is not an option.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2720.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 09:51:23 AM »
Our youngest daughter had a terrible milk allergy. She was exclusively breastfed. Anything I ate with the slightest bit of whey or any other dairy product caused her to vomit and cry for several hours. We were very careful about introducing foods and waited until she was over 9 months before we started. She began with fresh avocado, sweet potatoes, and banana. We would mash them up and feed them straight to her with NOTHING added. This worked wonderfully. When she moved past those things, we just let her pick veggies and other things from MY plate. I never ate anything with dairy so it was safe. If we wanted to eat something that required milk, we used goat's milk. She could tolerate it fine. Also, we had already figured out what she was allergic to since she reacted to what she was allergic to that I passed through my milk. If she hadn't reacted to it when we were nursing then it was fine for her. That is not always true, but it has been for all three of ours. HTH.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 12:38:07 PM »
I guess your question confused me.  Are you giving baby milk in addition to breastmilk?  Or are you drinking milk and causing a reaction in baby? 

In either case, goat's milk might help.  Also here's another thread on supplementing baby when breastfeeding is not an option.

Sorry, HB, what I meant was when I have milk/milk products it passes through to him and effects him.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »

Sorry, HB, what I meant was when I have milk/milk products it passes through to him and effects him.
If you stop drinking milk, does baby still react?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »
Nope :) I've cut all milk and milk products from my diet.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »
Okay, so why not just avoid dairy and continue to nurse?  Did I miss something?   ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 04:40:08 PM »
Okay, so why not just avoid dairy and continue to nurse?  Did I miss something?   ???
LoL :) I'm sorry I'm not very clear, I have nursing Mommy brain :) I was wondering if I should start him on food in addition to nursing since he seems to be hungry even after *lots* of nursing. I was just hesitant to because he's at least allergic to milk. Clear as mud?! :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 07:28:08 PM »
LoL :) I'm sorry I'm not very clear, I have nursing Mommy brain :) I was wondering if I should start him on food in addition to nursing since he seems to be hungry even after *lots* of nursing. I was just hesitant to because he's at least allergic to milk. Clear as mud?! :)
Actually, I understand that question perfectly.  How is your fat intake?  You might need to be eating more peanut butter, avacados, flax seed, fish, cod liver oil, etc.  If you can tolerate it, it probably wouldn't hurt for you to drink goats milk as well - more fatty acids ;D  Check out this link for some recommendations on dosages and daily allowances of essential fatty acids.  It might help.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,8697.msg93452.html#msg93452

Here's another link full of info on how to fill and fatten baby right up.  ;)

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,582.0.html

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 07:30:16 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 08:32:27 AM »
HB, I checked out those threads :) Thanks. I really think I do a good job with my healthy fats. I take EPO and CLO supplements. We eat flaxseed just about every morning, eggs, I cook with goats milk since DS is allergic to cows milk, I snack on trailmix usually, I cook/bake with coconut oil and olive oil exclusively etc...I'm looking into directly giving my DS CLO or coconut oil or something of the sort. I did just read under one of the threads you recommended above that slow weight gain could be a sign of food allergy. So, I posted under that to see if maybe my DS has another allergy I haven't discovered yet.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 08:34:37 AM »
HB, I checked out those threads :) Thanks. I really think I do a good job with my healthy fats. I take EPO and CLO supplements. We eat flaxseed just about every morning, eggs, I cook with goats milk since DS is allergic to cows milk, I snack on trailmix usually, I cook/bake with coconut oil and olive oil exclusively etc...I'm looking into directly giving my DS CLO or coconut oil or something of the sort. I did just read under one of the threads you recommended above that slow weight gain could be a sign of food allergy. So, I posted under that to see if maybe my DS has another allergy I haven't discovered yet.
Hang in there.  You'll get it figured out.  ;D

Also, I've heard other mom's mention that babies don't get enough of the hind milk (where the fat is) to fill them up.  Maybe you need to read some of the breastfeeding threads for more ideas.

Nursing, Weaning & Diet
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 08:36:28 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Victory

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »
You sound like I did 7 months ago.  I read somewhere that once you take out the spikes, you can see the tacks and nails.  I took out gluten and dairy, the spikes, and then gradually found many nails: corn, eggs, chicken, beef, nuts and seeds.  I am not sure we have found all of them yet.  It is a process.  Do you keep a food diary of what you eat?  Try not to eat anything that is suspect and then just add one new thing in and wait a couple of days.  Do you have Nourishing Traditions?  It gives a list of foods for baby to eat and what age to introduce them.  She talks about giving little ones CLO.  My son has taken it since about 7 months.

In regard to fats for yourself, I do eat butter every day.  Since it is only fat, there is no milk protein in it. 

From one who knows the huge challenge!
Victory

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 02:00:50 PM »

In regard to fats for yourself, I do eat butter every day.  Since it is only fat, there is no milk protein in it. 

Actually, clarified butter and ghee are pure oils (no proteins, no carbs, obviously no fiber) if properly processed.  These are usually ok for those who are casein intolerant.  Regular butter is not a pure oil and when it melts you will see the clear oil separate from the other stuff.  Still it contains much less casein or lactose than most other dairy products.

Offline specialedswife

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »
Is it better to cut out most potential allergens at once or can you do it one at a time?  Which is better for a nursing baby? If you do it all at once what do you eat and for how long?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 12:44:27 PM by specialedswife »

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 03:58:37 PM »
I say do it all at once for 3-4 weeks to make sure all symptoms subside.  Then add them back one at a time, leaving 4-5 days between so you can notice any reactions.
My sister is going through this right now and has narrowed it town to sot or dairy.  These 2 things are in EVERYTHING - even the not-so-obvious, like  most canned tuna, crackers, bread, mayo, sauces, breadcrumbs, some vitamins $ medications, etc.
  Whatever you need to avoid, read labels diligently and learn the lingo - some things are code words for derivatives of allergens.
  Also, be sure you still have enough fiber, fat & protein in your diet.  Deficiencies are no help to you or baby.             ~L

cecac

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 04:08:34 PM »
I do not know anything about removing food from mama to test for allergies in babies other than a chiro/ND I spoke with did say it took 2 weeks for dairy to notice a difference in his opinion.

I wanted to share a link to infant acidophilus that is recommended for babies, either breastfed or bottlefed, to help with allergies.  I have to bottle feed, so I make the formula and this powder goes in the formula.  Here is the website, the product is called Bifidobacterium Infantis:  www.radiantlifecatalog.com.

Might that help?

Cara

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »
When we did a elimination diet with this last baby, we got rid of one thing at a time. I started with dairy and then after two weeks I drank a tall glass of milk. Her rash, vomitting, and crying all returned almost immediatly. So we didn't do that again. Then we eliminated then next things. For me it is just easier to do one at a time and then test rather than all and testing one at a time. Mostly, I think it is what works best for you and your family. I hope you figure it out quickly.

Offline specialedswife

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 04:55:39 PM »
When we did a elimination diet with this last baby, we got rid of one thing at a time. I started with dairy and then after two weeks I drank a tall glass of milk. Her rash, vomitting, and crying all returned almost immediatly. So we didn't do that again. Then we eliminated then next things. For me it is just easier to do one at a time and then test rather than all and testing one at a time. Mostly, I think it is what works best for you and your family. I hope you figure it out quickly.

Did her rash improve in those two weeks you were off dairy?  And did you wait till the rash was gone to introduce the food back in?  My ds seems to have a constant rash that sometimes looks better and sometimes not no matter what I take out or put in my diet.

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 07:55:45 AM »
bump

:-* for your ds