Author Topic: Help for my son...  (Read 4990 times)

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
Help for my son...
« on: August 18, 2007, 05:31:30 AM »
Hi all...

Our oldest boy just started football season.  This is his first year at the high school level.  He did not prepare himself for the beginning of practice (over the summer) and he is feeling the pain now. 

He walks like an old man.  He says his muscles hurt (especially in the quads and hams)....not so much soreness as pain.  I was wondering if you think this could be lactic acid build up? 

We have tried epsom salt baths, ice packs, massage...but it just doesn't seem to help much?

Any suggestions on what I should give him to help him and his body?

We have always shied away from Sports Drinks because of the sugar..but, perhaps I need to get him some of those?  How about a snack in back pack for directly after practice? 

Please any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
Re: Help for my son...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:06:20 AM »
Coconut Water is an excellent natural electrolyte replenishing drink to replace those sports drinks. I get mine at Amazon.com and end up getting free shipping & 15% off b/c I have them automatically deliver it each month.

I wish I knew more about the lactic acid. Sorry. I'm sure someone else will jump on here with that.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:39:07 AM »
This happend to me once. I was moving and had to carry a lot of boxes and furniture up a couple flights of stairs. After we got everything in, I walked around the apartment for a little bit (unpacking a few things) but then just plopped down on the sofa to rest... and paid for it dearly.  :o

If it's lactic acid buildup then he is likely stopping activity too soon (not cooling down properly) . To keep the the acid from pooling in the muscles you have to keep them moving so that the blood can clear it out. He needs to slowly back down from high activity to low/no activity.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 12:07:05 PM »
There's a sports drinks recipe thread here on WTM called
"Electrolyte Drink Recipes"
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5741.msg103598.html#msg103598
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »
This happend to me once. I was moving and had to carry a lot of boxes and furniture up a couple flights of stairs. After we got everything in, I walked around the apartment for a little bit (unpacking a few things) but then just plopped down on the sofa to rest... and paid for it dearly.  :o

If it's lactic acid buildup then he is likely stopping activity too soon (not cooling down properly) . To keep the the acid from pooling in the muscles you have to keep them moving so that the blood can clear it out. He needs to slowly back down from high activity to low/no activity.

WR

So when you work out, if you keep  moving and slowly back down from high to low activity, you won't get sore?  Even after an intense workout?  Or will you just be less sore?
Thanks!!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 04:33:09 PM »
Getting sore and having a build up of lactic acid are different, I think. I know the feeling is very different at least! It felt like my legs were on fire! I would cry when I had to get up to go to the bathroom.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 06:09:47 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies!  I have ordered some coconut water, and I did an internet search for 'electrolyte replacement drink recipes'!  I found another recipe, which we made, and it tastes very, very good.  I modified it just a bit from what was recommended.

In case anyone is interested it is:

1 qt. water
1/2 tsp. salt (I used Celtic Sea Salt)
2 tbsp. Honey
2 bananas

I blended this for about a minute and poured into a jar.  We tasted it right away, and even without it being chilled it was delicious! 

Thanks again! -
Camille

PS - He is already beginning to feel much better after eating some bananas, drinking the banana water, and going for a couple of walks today!
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6