Author Topic: Lung Cleansing  (Read 33510 times)

Offline Alicia

• Adept
Lung Cleansing
« on: September 24, 2007, 11:04:24 AM »
Does anyone know how to do a lung cleansing?
Our house burned down three weeks ago and my Dad and brothers have been on the farm every day since then breathing in all the aftermath. My Mom and I are a little worried what it has done to their lungs, especially after all the smoke from the fire dept. burning the rest of the house down yesterday.
Are there herbs that are good for this? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Lung Cleansing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 11:11:18 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Alicia

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:40:40 PM »
Thanks for the link HB. :)

Would a sauna also be good for this? Does anyone have an opinion on saunas? Or is that more of a skin cleansing?

Thanks

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
That is what I was going to suggest because Lobelia will clean out the lungs, just not in the way most people want! Hot air will help to break up anything that is in their lungs but Lobelia will really actually get it out of their body.

Here is an excerpt from Dr. Christopher's book that shows the power of Lobelia. http://www.herballegacy.com/Herbal_Legacy_of_Courage.html the book is a really good read!

"As happened wherever Dr. Christopher practiced, the people in Evanston benefited from his unusual understanding of the human body and his inspired and unique formulas, combinations of herbs designed to build and heal. One particular patient arrived at the door of Ray's house well past midnight. Ray had just returned to his cozy home from making house calls, and was ready to settle wearily beneath the hand-stitched quilts, when there came a frantic pounding at the door.

Pulling his robe over his shoulders, Ray threw open the door. Leaning against the door frame were two young men, each supporting a wizened old man who was struggling for every breath of air. Ray recognized the wheezing sounds of asthma. The man who leaned on the others for support was probably one of the sickest and most pathetic Ray had ever seen.

"Please!" cried one of the young men. "Our regular doctor is out of town, and we can't find his assistant. Can you help keep Pap alive?" Ray nodded as he ushered the three out of the night air. As he settled the gasping old man into a chair and prepared a cup of peppermint tea, Ray listened to the tale of the old man's illness.

He had been stricken with asthma for twenty-six years, for twenty of those it had been so severe that he could not hold a job. It had been more than twenty years since he had reclined in bed, for if he lay down, he choked up so severely he risked death. His sons had built him a special chair in which to sleep at night.

Both sons were working full-time to meet the family's expenses. It wasn't just a matter of keeping a roof over their heads and food on the table, one explained-their father's medical care had devastated their savings and nearly ruined them financially.

The asthma was now so severe that he required shots, respiratory therapy, and oxygen treatments, often more than twice a week.

Dr. Christopher knelt by his side and helped him sip the steaming peppermint tea. Ten minutes later, he administered a full teaspoon of tincture of lobelia. Ten minutes later, as the four of them talked. Dr. Christopher spooned in another measure of tincture of lobelia, and ten minutes later, he swallowed the third teaspoonful. Then Dr. Christopher quietly began gathering pots, pans, and buckets.

Suddenly the man began vomiting. From two until five that morning he threw up, and with it came the thick, stifling, blackened phlegm that had choked his airways. Because he had sipped the cup of peppermint tea, his muscles were relaxed, he suffered no soreness from the hours of heaving.
Just after five o'clock, well before the morning sun began peeking over the mountainous horizon. Dr. Christopher turned to the boys. "You can take your father home now; he is finished with the treatment. He is fine now."

As the two rushed to their father's aid, he waved them aside with a brush of the hand. "You don't have to help me, boys," he said. "I'll walk." After seeing them out into the early morning. Dr. Christopher finally settled into bed for an hour's rest before the patients began filling his waiting room again.

He wasn't the only one who settled into bed that night, as the two young men signaled for their father to sit in his chair, he shook his head. "Put me to bed, boys" he insisted. "I'm going to sleep in a bed tonight" "You can't. Pap!" one argued. "It will kill you!"

But there was no persuading the man, who was gulping the fresh Evanston air as if it were a feast. He settled into bed and fell into a heavy sleep and slumbered deeply for thirty hours. Finally, he arose from his bed, filled his chest with oxygen for the first time in twenty years, and announced, "I'm healed. I'm going out to get a job"

Dh had a really bad case of something croupy that had given him a lot of mucus and it was really hard for him to breathe. I gave him peppermint tea and then 10 drops of Lobelia tincture, 10 minutes later he hadn't thrown up yet so I gave him some more. About 5 minutes later he threw up all the mucus, he threw up twice, and he said there was a lot of it, but he could finally breathe again. Because we gave him peppermint tea before hand he was not sore.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:56:47 PM by His Heirloom Rose »

Offline Alicia

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
Wow, that was amazing!!! It is amazing that he was healed in one night of something he had for so long.
Does the person always throw up, is that something that must occur?
How does the lung junk get from the lungs to coming out the mouth? :P
I guess I don't know very much about lobelia ( I'll have to get another book!)
Where can I get lobelia tincture, or must I make some myself (which is no big deal).

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »
Our second dd had pneumonia a couple of times her first year.  We took her to our chiropractor who adjusted her and then held the trash can close for her to vomit into.  She would throw up a lot of gunk, presumably from her lungs as she could breathe so much better afterward.   So I assume that it is possible to throw up stuff from the lungs. 

Lobelia is great stuff.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it for asthma or pneumonia in our family.   And, yes, the vomiting is part of lobelia working in these extreme cases and using large enough doses of lobelia. 

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

SagorFamily1611

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 09:57:29 AM »
You can get the tincture from nearly any health food store or online, if you have a lobelia plant you would I think need to make it into a tincture, which I don't know how to do, because you have to give them large doses. Lobelia was once thought to be dangerous because supposedly one day a man died from it, and the man who gave it to him was taken to court for murder, but then it was shown to be a set up because the man that supposedly died showed up to testify against him. (that was a stupid move...)

Because you throw it up there is no way you can overdose on Lobelia according to Dr. Christopher. But like I saiid the tincture is concentrated so it would probably take a lot to make them throw it up just by using fresh or dried herbs. Perhaps someone else knows more on it than I.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »
Oh yeah, Lobelia is great stuff. There is a natural Doc (her name is Pat Cassidy) who has a great story of treating an infant who had whooping cough with GOOT applied to the baby's feet and some drops of lobelia under the baby's tongue. The baby was better in 3 days.

Great stuff--I keep some on hand from Nature's Sunshine.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Alicia

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 05:02:03 PM »
Wow, lobelia sounds like great stuff!!! I can't wait to get some! I will place an order for it if I can't find it at Hy-Vee(grocery store with health food section) tomorrow.
I really hope I can get my dad and brothers to try it. They are a little weary of herbs. I will try it for my cough and excess phlegm and hopefully be able to share a good testimony that will make them want to try it!

Offline MamaJ

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »
Wow, this is amazing.  I wrestled for the better part of 20 years with chronic bronchitis.  Even now, my lung capacity is nowhere near where it should be.  I'm going to have to look for some of this stuff and try it out.  I can't even sing through one song anymore, my lungs are so bad.  I no longer get bronchitis, but I feel like there is years' worth of mucus and junk in my lungs inhibiting my breathing.  I hope I can find some around here.

Mama J.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 03:22:22 PM »
Is this just a lung cleanse?  My 4yo has been congested for months now and I think it's all in his sinuses but could it be that the airways and lungs need to be cleansed?  We use lobelia already for croup and cough and asthma.  I'd love to cure my asthma!  The lobelia makes us nauseous with just one capsule or a small cup of tea.  I don't fill the capsules very full because I didn't want anyone throwing up.  Perhaps we DO want to throw up (after the peppermint tea  ;)).  Any testimonies out there of what it did and how violent it was?  Alicia, did it work for any of you all?  My little guy's a trooper but I'd hate to make him not want to take what he needs to get better.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 10:32:56 AM »
Lobelia can be used in low doses to heal chronic conditions such as asthma. The throw up method works best during a crisis, such as Dr. Christopher's story of the old man. It only takes 3 tsp. of a good quality lobelia extract to clear the lungs during a crisis situation. Lobelia can also be combined with other lung herbs such as mullien, comfrey, chickweed, pleurisy root, lungwort,  and/or marshmallow. None of these other herbs make a person nauseous as far as I am aware.

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »
About the peppermint tea, does anyone know if peppermint leaf extract would work similarly.  Dh will not drink any herbal teas, but desperately needs some sort of relaxant, and I do have the extract on hand--accidentally bought it instead of peppermint oil.

He has had chest congestion--stemming from a cold--that has lasted 1-1/2 weeks now. Since we were out of town for 4 days and I didn't have access to all my remedies, I found a GNC shop and bought some tea tree oil to inhale in steamed water and oil of oregano which he only takes in capsules. When we got home Thursday night, and the mucus didn't seem to be loosening up as quickly as usual so he could breathe w/o coughing, I gave him a large dose of Beeyoutiful's GSE--he's a big fellow--and a heavier dose of Oreganol.  Anyway, on Saturday AM, he threw up his breakfast, and has not kept ANYTHING down since.   

A LOT of mucus is coming up.  Do you think that maybe the GSE and Oreganol are working to clear out the infection(?) or whatever it is and that is why he is vomiting or should I start to be concerned about digestive, issues too?  He's afraid to take anything else and will probably go to the doctor tomorrow if he can't keep anything down.

He is asthmatic and is very prone to chest congestion with colds, but has NEVER vomited like this before. Usually he goes through a supply of Mucinex and it gradually goes away.

And for my original question, can peppermint leaf extract be substituted for the tea? Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 05:09:42 PM »
A recommendation from Robert Jay Rowen (Second Opinion Newsletter):

If you have asthma or any kind of obstructive lung disease, you probably know that omega-3 fatty acids can help. And I've told you about Seanol and coleus forskolin. But now there's another natural treatment that's showing promise.

Researchers recently found that the well-known herb ginseng significantly improves the pathological changes in the lung tissues in mice. The study gave one group of mice 2 grams per kilogram of ginseng daily. A second group received the placebo. That dose would correspond to about 150 mg for the average-size adult.

What I really like about this study is that it showed the ginseng actually improved lung tissues. Very few treatments for lung disease can do that. So definitely give ginseng a try. You can find it in any health food store.

There is one thing to consider before you take ginseng. Ginseng is a warming herb in Chinese medicine. Overuse might cause headaches and gastrointestinal problems. Pay attention to how you feel if you use this herb. I'm a warm person. I like ginseng, but if I take it for a while, I occasionally notice some overstimulation. However, if you have asthma, most likely you'll tolerate it well.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 05:41:21 PM »
About the peppermint tea, does anyone know if peppermint leaf extract would work similarly.  Dh will not drink any herbal teas, but desperately needs some sort of relaxant, and I do have the extract on hand--accidentally bought it instead of peppermint oil.

He has had chest congestion--stemming from a cold--that has lasted 1-1/2 weeks now. Since we were out of town for 4 days and I didn't have access to all my remedies, I found a GNC shop and bought some tea tree oil to inhale in steamed water and oil of oregano which he only takes in capsules. When we got home Thursday night, and the mucus didn't seem to be loosening up as quickly as usual so he could breathe w/o coughing, I gave him a large dose of Beeyoutiful's GSE--he's a big fellow--and a heavier dose of Oreganol.  Anyway, on Saturday AM, he threw up his breakfast, and has not kept ANYTHING down since.   

A LOT of mucus is coming up.  Do you think that maybe the GSE and Oreganol are working to clear out the infection(?) or whatever it is and that is why he is vomiting or should I start to be concerned about digestive, issues too?  He's afraid to take anything else and will probably go to the doctor tomorrow if he can't keep anything down.

He is asthmatic and is very prone to chest congestion with colds, but has NEVER vomited like this before. Usually he goes through a supply of Mucinex and it gradually goes away.

And for my original question, can peppermint leaf extract be substituted for the tea? Thanks for any suggestions.

If he's swallowing part of the mucus that's working it's way out of the lungs it can cause vomiting. Also, chances are that his sinuses are draining as well (even if they didn't FEEL congested they probably were) & when sinuses drain, it tends to go down the back of the throat into the stomach which upsets the stomach.

I have posted about my DH before & the fact that he gets walking pneumonia every year. We have found Oreganol to be the best treatment he's EVER used for it & he's gotten walking pneumonia every year for well over 25 years so he's tried A LOT of remedies for it. He OFTEN vomits when he's very congested & when the Oreganol gets all the mucus to come up often he's either coughing it up & it gags him setting off vomiting or just the mucus that works it's way into his stomach causes vomiting so yes, it's normal esp when you have large quantities of mucus working it's way out of the lungs.

As far as the peppermint extract, you could probably give it to him. Peppermint extract is basically a tincture although it's probably not near as strong on the peppermint & is probably stronger on the alcohol than a tincure would be. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 02:05:12 AM »
Thank you, Herbalmom, for your helpful info.

I actually convinced him to take the extract in capsules that very afternoon since he was rather desperate ;) , and it did help.  He had no more vomiting after he began taking it and he was able to have a meal later Sunday night.

I was convinced after further reading that the vomiting was from his lungs cleaning out.  And yes, he was gagging a lot.  One time after he had toast and he vomited, he told me that he knew he could have kept it down if he hadn't started coughing.

Anyway, praise the Lord, he is getting better and without antibiotics, which everyone else said he would NEED.  Two years ago, when his congestion was this bad, he got one from the dr. and he had a bad reaction to it with excessive swelling. That scared him almost as much as not being able to breathe.  I'm just so thrilled that God is teaching me how to help my family and dh is learning to rely on this wisdom, as well, rather than conventional medicine which has always been there for him in times past.

So thank you to all the ladies who share your remedies, stories, and what you have learned.  You are truly a blessing.  :-* :-*

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 06:33:59 AM »
OH my stars!!! What an amazing story. Im so excited!!!

Now i need to know what kind of peppermint tea. Can i just buy some celestial seasonings kind or do i put a drop of peppermint ess oil in some tea to make it?

Also, would the lobelia at GNC or my local health food store be strong enough?
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline WellTellMommy

• Adept
  • Ft. Banchee
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 07:51:33 AM »
the lobilia I bought at my local hfs was what I use when my dd 6yo had croup I used enough that she vomited (unknowing that it would do that) she had extensive cramping  :'( (I don't know if the peppermint helps this or if it's inevitable with vomiting), but the next morning she was completely well no croup or signs of having been sick. ;D
I haven't used that much on any one since then just because no one likes to puke,  :-X but if the case were sever enough I would in a heartbeat. ;)
DD 5yo---Mom, I think we should take a camera with us when we go to Heaven, it'll be so beautiful up there.

Sherri

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 08:02:49 AM »
OH my stars!!! What an amazing story. Im so excited!!!

Now i need to know what kind of peppermint tea. Can i just buy some celestial seasonings kind or do i put a drop of peppermint ess oil in some tea to make it?

Also, would the lobelia at GNC or my local health food store be strong enough?

I imagine any peppermint tea would do but I make it out of straight peppermint leaves.  ANY lobelia is strong so I'm sure if you can get it locally, it's strong enough.  That being said, I haven't done the cleanse.  I'm just answering on the basic use of those herbs.  There may be someone out there that has done it and can answer from experience.  (Looks like they did while I was spell checking  ;))  Lobelia is an emetic.  It WILL cause vomiting if given in large enough doses.  I think that is one of the points of this cleanse.  You want the stuff out.

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 09:30:34 AM »
Im about to go pick up some lobelia right now. They said you take 7 drops so should i just have my mom take a whole dropper every 10 min till she throws up?

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »
n/m i will just do the tsp like the guy on the story. Is this for sure safe?

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 11:17:37 AM »

If you try this, I hope you will post your results.  :) I know someone who has the lobelia, has the need for it, but isn't ready to try the tsp. at a time thing yet... it's a little scary to take something that sounds so dramatic. (And let's face it, who really WANTS to puke? Also, the "extensive cramping" mentioned on this thread makes me cautious). If it works for you, perhaps I can share your story with them, and they will be inspired...
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 01:42:32 PM »

According to the How To Herb Book, this is safe...just no fun.  I would do some research (just to make sure of the safety and side affects from all points of view) and make sure I was prepared before I really went for it.  Check out anything you can on lobelia.  Check Dr. Schultz's web site, Curezone and any site that has any info on the herb, such as the Bulk Herb Store, just to make sure you want to do it.  I would have done it before now with the hopes of ridding myself of asthma but a friend of mine cautioned me that it was more of a last resort than that (my asthma is not debilitating in any way).  Not that I couldn't do it, just that I might not want to unless I had croup, an asthma attack, bronchitis or something.  Just make sure you are well informed.  By the way, I'm a bit of a risk taker with herbs... ::)...and lobelia tastes awful...it's like swallowing your foot when it's asleep...pins and needles all the way down.  HTH ;D

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »
UPDATE

I got some at the healthfood store and brought it to my mom. I also got her some peppermint tea but dh took it out of the bag thinking it was for me.  ::)

Thankfully she had some peppermint growing and she just made tea from it and also ate some of the fresh leaves. I hope that was ok. :D

So then she took half tsp cuz we were scared and 10 min later she took almost a whole tsp cuz we were braver. Then she took a whole tsp 10 min later. Nothing happened but she felt kinda nauseous. I decided to have her take another half tsp in case the other didn't work because she only took half. Three tsp in all and she was just fine as she could be. ::)

About 45 min later she took one more tsp and still didn't throw up. My mom is about a size 16 or 18 or maybe even more so i wonder if she needed more. She says she doesn't throw up easily. She said she always feels like she needs to if she is sick but just cant throw up most of the time. Anyway...we got scared to give her more so i gave up and left. She will take more tomorrow but just follow the directions like the bottle says. Im sad it didnt work but maybe it will still help her. She says the eucalyptus oil she has been huffing is making her feel better too.  :)

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 03:19:01 PM »
Just 'cause she didn't throw up doesn't mean it didn't work.  Wait and see!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 10:57:53 AM »

So then she took half tsp cuz we were scared and 10 min later she took almost a whole tsp cuz we were braver.

It IS scary, isn't it?? I still haven't convinced my friend to try it...

I'm disappointed it didn't work (yet) for you, but I enjoyed the mental picture that I got. I pictured two women sitting side by side, staring fearfully down at a little spoonful of lobelia.  ;D
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 11:56:26 AM »
LOL that is so funny. :D

I talked to her last night before bed and she said she felt better so maybe it was helping some. :-\

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has info on cleansing the lung from a fungal infection?

A friend of mine was living in an old farm house and became increasingly ill, as did her children due to mold in the house.  She even had to have part of her lung removed, the fungal infection was so bad.  They found mold in their well, in the house....17 different kinds altogether.

She knows about yeast cleanses, garlic, Oreganol, etc..  I am most intrigued by this lobelia herb.  Does anyone know if it will also help cleanse and nourish lungs infected from fungus?

Anything anyone knows about this will be helpful, either here or in a PM. 

Thanks!
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »
I am also interested in this answer!  My father has been living in a fifth-wheel camper for the last 5+ years.  He is just noticing that he has a mold problem!  He had some terrible breathing problems last summer, in addition to getting colon cancer, and he is afraid the breathing problems will come back this year.  He is looking into replacing his camper, but in the meantime I would love to help him clean out his lungs!
Thanks!

I am wondering if anyone has info on cleansing the lung from a fungal infection?

A friend of mine was living in an old farm house and became increasingly ill, as did her children due to mold in the house.  She even had to have part of her lung removed, the fungal infection was so bad.  They found mold in their well, in the house....17 different kinds altogether.

She knows about yeast cleanses, garlic, Oreganol, etc..  I am most intrigued by this lobelia herb.  Does anyone know if it will also help cleanse and nourish lungs infected from fungus?

Anything anyone knows about this will be helpful, either here or in a PM. 

Thanks!