Author Topic: Hydrogenated Fats  (Read 31541 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Hydrogenated Fats
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:48:50 AM »
The main Soy problem is the growth hormones that Soy provides. The other problem is that Soy is in EVERYTHING these days. Put those two together and you have real problems.
Most soy found in processed foods is in the form of hydrogenated soy oil.  Any fats/oils that are hydrogenated cannot be processed correctly by the body. 

http://www.mercola.com/2001/aug/1/oil.htm
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:31:29 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 06:55:33 AM »
Thanks for the link. I have Sally Fallon's cookbook, and while I think it's a little unbalanced in that I don't think it's probably healthy for anyone to eat quite as much fatty animal products as she recomends, I do much prefer the "real thing" when it comes to cream and butter. Here is my quandry concerning hydrogonated oils- my children are allergic to cow milk. This is not an intollerance for hydrogonated milk; their allergies are an immune disfunction (passed down by hubby's family) where they cannot tollerate the milk protien, simillar to some children with autism. Anyway, oil (I use olive oil, or ex. pressed Safflower oil) does not work in all my recipes, because it's too runny, or in cookies, the choc. chips don't stick. My almost 3 year old is now off gluten too, and the GF graham cracker recipe calls for margerine. I really don't want to use that, but don't know what to subsitute it with. Does anyone have experience baking with coconut oil? (It is expensive, and my co-op only gets it once a year in the middle of summer.) I want to try it, but don't have a big grocery budget, and don't want to buy something I won't use.  Thanks, guys.   Dara
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:35:37 AM by healthybratt »
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:05:39 AM »
I know that animal fats have their drawbacks, but in moderation they can be used in recipes in place of butter and shortening quite well.  In fact lard makes the tastiest pie crust (so flakey...mmmm) I've ever had.  I buy it from Walmart, BUT...it's partially hydrogenated (BAD, BAD, BAD), so I use it sparingly.  If you could learn to render your own fats, this would be much healthier and you could use the fats for homemade soaps and moisturizers.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:35:24 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Elbereth

Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 04:17:19 AM »
I found a lard that is food grade and nonhydrogenated!  :D

www.soaperschoice.com
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:35:14 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 02:35:25 PM »
I found a lard that is food grade and nonhydrogenated!  :D

www.soaperschoice.com

I called them too.  Unhydrogenated but contains defoamers.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:03:20 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 02:43:35 PM »
HB,

Spectrum oils sells a non-hydrogenated shortening made from, oh, I can't remember what kind of oil.  I am at my mom's right now.  It is safflower, I think?  Well, it is organic and non-hydrogenated.   So I use it in place of crisco. I found it at my local health food store. Yeah, it is expensive, but I hardly ever used crisco, so I just use this for the once in awhile recipe that calls for it.  Just in case you want to look into it!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:34:45 AM by healthybratt »

Elbereth

Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 02:58:57 PM »
Healthy Bratt,

I actually called the contact number and asked someone.  You can't order by phone except if you are a business, but you can order it online.  50 lbs is something like 39.00 including shipping.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:34:33 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 03:55:55 PM »
Healthy Bratt,

I actually called the contact number and asked someone.  You can't order by phone except if you are a business, but you can order it online.  50 lbs is something like 39.00 including shipping.

That's awesome.  I pay a little under $1/lb at Walmart but it's partially hydrogenated.  Hubby won't let me quit using it until I can find a reasonable substitute for the fry daddy.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:34:19 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Elbereth

Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:45:59 AM »
I just received my lard from Columbus Foods and I was surprised to find it come in a plastic bag inside a box.  This was the only packaging.  I guess I should have asked what it would come in.  Oh well.  We are going to lowes tonight to buy a couple of 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids.  My husband thinks they are around 5 dollars, but he's not sure. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:34:08 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 06:13:14 AM »
I just received my lard from Columbus Foods and I was surprised to find it come in a plastic bag inside a box.  This was the only packaging.  I guess I should have asked what it would come in.  Oh well.  We are going to lowes tonight to buy a couple of 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids.  My husband thinks they are around 5 dollars, but he's not sure. 

Keep us posted.  I think I'm going to get some real soon.  Let me know if there's a reason I shouldn't.

P.S.  The order list says "50 lb cube".  ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:33:58 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 06:28:17 AM »
I called an spoke to the company as you suggested.  He assured me of everything you said, but he did mention that it contains defoamers.  I don't know if these are healthy or not, but they are approved as edible ingredients (hubby uses these at work for the pickle that's injected into pork products.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:33:45 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Elbereth

Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 02:02:32 PM »
Healthy Bratt,

I am kind of annoyed at that guy I talked to at Columbus Foods for not telling me about the defoamers when I asked about the Lard.  I guess I'm not good at getting the "whole truth" out of people.  :)  Anyway, I looked into it, and I weighed my options, (trying to balance finances and health) and I still feel this is the way to go for our family.  I am really trying to go thru and make some changes with our diet, but I sometimes feel that I am overwhelming hubby with everything, you know?  I also have researched and have sort of come to the conclusion that keeping your intestines healthy seems to be the thing to focus on and your body can take care of the rest, ie eliminating toxins out of the body.  We do drink non-homogenized milk from the local health food store and we have a water purifier, and try to avoid outright toxic chemicals like fluoride and chlorine etc.  but as far as going 100% organic, we did that for a couple of months just to see if we could do it cheaply and see what we would spend over all, and whew we just wouldn't make it financially, so, all this to say, I think we will stick with this lard and if and when we find something better, or we start making lots more money  :)  we'll switch to organic.

:)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:33:33 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 05:55:36 AM »
If you eat any kind of "pink" pork, you're already eating defoamers.  I know cuz, my hubby put them there  ;)  He is a "Pickle" maker.  Not the green ones that look like cucumbers, but the chemical cocktail they inject into hams, bacon, hot dogs, etc.   

You probably don't even want to know what they put into that stuff.  Although, they do use a lot of honey. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:33:22 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline sven

• Learning
    • Solar Family Farm
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:58:03 AM »
Dara,

Why not use coconut, palm, or palm kernal oil?  I  use coconut oil now for my bread baking.  It is a very healthy oil and FAR better than anything hydrogenated.  I did use olive oil until I read that we get too much mono and poly unsaturated fats in our diet and that it can cause imbalances.

Kristin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:33:04 AM by healthybratt »
The East Tennessee Ridge Runners

Offline natural

• Adept
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 03:33:42 AM »
HB,

Spectrum oils sells a non-hydrogenated shortening made from, oh, I can't remember what kind of oil.  I am at my mom's right now.  It is safflower, I think?  Well, it is organic and non-hydrogenated.   So I use it in place of crisco. I found it at my local health food store. Yeah, it is expensive, but I hardly ever used crisco, so I just use this for the once in awhile recipe that calls for it.  Just in case you want to look into it!

Spectrum Organic Shortening: Mechanically pressed organic palm oil.

I can get a 24 oz container from my co-op for under 6 dollars. My health food store sells the smaller 17 oz (I think) for that much. I order several containers at once. I mostly use it for biscuits and tortillas ...it works WONDERFULLY!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:32:53 AM by healthybratt »
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 05:11:30 AM »
Dara,

Why not use coconut, palm, or palm kernal oil?  I  use coconut oil now for my bread baking.  It is a very healthy oil and FAR better than anything hydrogenated.  I did use olive oil until I read that we get too much mono and poly unsaturated fats in our diet and that it can cause imbalances.

Kristin

I do use these oils to cook with, but as I mentioned in another thread, I don't think they would work in my fry daddy.  Even if they would, they are too expensive for such a use.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:32:39 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 08:46:22 AM »
Well, I did  order some coconut oil from a friend's co-op, and now I am waiting Very Impatiently for it to arrive. They only order once a year in the summer 'cause it's too cold to pour it off any other time   ::).  Does anyone know  if soaking grains makes them less allergenic? I've got a kidlet that can't have gluten, and it is so hard to cook for everyone! I feel hugely blessed to have goat milk for them now (for now), so I can finally make them yogurt, but the grain thing is still a challenge. The non-GF members of the fam don't want to eat Dev's diet, but it's hard to keep up with it all... I was talking to an acquaintance, and realized how much of my time and thought is wrapped up in the fact that everything we eat around here (just about) is made from scratch, so "all I do is cook and clean up".
HB, you might have to break down and buy the cookbook! Of course, there is a lot of info. on that weston price site.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:32:28 AM by healthybratt »
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 03:24:53 PM »

I just ordered my lard today. I'm very excited (excited about lard  ::) ??? ). I get to stop using the hydrogenated stuff and I can still keep hubby happy by keeping the fryer full.  Pie crusts are also very delightful when made from lard..flakey...mmmmmmmm.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:32:18 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline MamaPeach

• Learning
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »
Instead of butter in our house, we use a product called "Earth Balance". You can get it at health food stores, Fred Meyer and even some regular grocery stores like Safeway or QFC. It's amazing how much it tastes like real butter (I think it tastes better than butter) and I haven't ever had a problem using it in recipes. It is non-hydrogenized and I think most of the ingredients are organic. It's a great thing to have, since my daughter is allergic to dairy.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:32:03 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 02:57:44 AM »
Instead of butter in our house, we use a product called "Earth Balance".

This is all made from soy, right?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:31:54 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 05:18:19 AM »
Instead of butter in our house, we use a product called "Earth Balance".

This is all made from soy, right?

Non-GMO Ingredients: Expeller-Pressed Natural Oil Blend (palm fruit, soybean, canola seed and olive oils).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:31:44 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2006, 05:02:52 AM »
Just thought I'd let you know I'm reading a book called The Fat Fallacy.  I haven't finished it yet, but this guy makes some pretty valid points.  His whole ideology on fats and carb consumption are based on French and Mediterranian cultures who have less heart disease, high cholesterol and obesity than Americans.  Very intriguing indeed.  He hasn't mentioned anything about antibiotics and/or vaccines.  I would really be curious how this all fits into their diets.  If they take them or don't--meaning is yeast and/or leaky gut an issue with their cultures or not?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mama2three

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2006, 08:15:02 AM »
If you eat any kind of "pink" pork, you're already eating defoamers.  I know cuz, my hubby put them there  ;)  He is a "Pickle" maker.  Not the green ones that look like cucumbers, but the chemical cocktail they inject into hams, bacon, hot dogs, etc.   

You probably don't even want to know what they put into that stuff.  Although, they do use a lot of honey. 

With all due respect to your hubby's job, I have an incredible recipe for making your own ham at home without any of that stuff put into it at the processing plant.  It is SO GOOD.  And it is nitrite free.  It is also easy.  Let me know if you would like it.   Also, I have recipes for making your own sausage at home -- just by simply adding in spices.  It is GREAT. 

Also, coconut oil is a great option for high heat cooking.  We used it to make doughnuts once.  You can also use coconut oil for just about anything that calls for oil.  Depending on how you like coconut flavor, you can buy a more coconutty oil or a less coconutty oil (sorry but I don't know which is which).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2006, 08:53:28 AM »
With all due respect to your hubby's job,
Thanks, but he doesn't work there anymore.  ;D Also, even when he did, we never ate Hormel products either unless he got them from work for free.  Too expensive.   :o

I have an incredible recipe for making your own ham at home without any of that stuff put into it at the processing plant.
I'm assuming you have to butcher your own hog for this?

Also, coconut oil is a great option for high heat cooking.  We used it to make doughnuts once.
I decided that this would probably work, and I use it for a lot of pan frying but hubby said too expensive to fill my fry daddy.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2006, 11:09:07 AM »

I have recipes for making your own sausage at home -- just by simply adding in spices.  It is GREAT. 

I would enjoy having this! We buy organic beef and I would love to make beef sausage!! Please post it! ;D ;D
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 01:25:07 PM »

I have an incredible recipe for making your own ham at home without any of that stuff put into it at the processing plant.  It is SO GOOD.  And it is nitrite free.  It is also easy.  Let me know if you would like it.   

Would you please post how to make your own ham???  I would LOVE to try that.  ;D Thanks!!! -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline mama2three

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2006, 03:25:01 PM »
You do not have to butcher your own hog to do this, you just need pork that has not been treated with stuff.  For example, don't buy a ham or anything smoked etc.  Just buy the meat.

This recipe calls for a pork leg roast.  I don't remember what I used, but it wasn't a leg roast.  It did have a bone in it.  I don't think that a bone-in is a requirement though.

Ham:

Put the pork leg roast in a large glass bowl.  Soak it for 3 days in the refrigerator in the following brine:

2 c water
1/2 c salt
1/2 c brown sugar (I used sucanat)
1 T pepper (optional)
1 T powdered ginger (optional)

Make sure the brine covers the roast.  If it doesn't, double the brine recipe.

3 days later, when you're ready to cook your roast, preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Place roast in a pan in the oven and baste periodically with lard (I did not do this).  Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the roast.  When it nears 160 degrees, remove the roast from the oven and apply a thick, pasty mixture of honey and brown sugar to the top.  Return the roast to the oven until done (170 degrees internal temp).  Some of the pasty mixture will melt off, but most should stay on it.  When done, remove from oven, cool slightly.  Move it to a serving plate and slice very very thin, about 1/8" thick or less, against the bias.  Let the slices drop onto the platter for a pretty presentation.  The roast shoujld be tender, juicy and flavorful.

I did not do all of that.  I brined it and then roasted it in the oven without adding all the honey/sugar paste.  It was wonderful.  Another time I brined it then chopped it up and added it to another recipe and then cooked it in the recipe.  Wonderful again!  So the important part of this recipe is the brining.  Whether you follow the cooking instructions or not is optional.

Here is a recipe for sausage, but it is for pork sausage not beef.  I don't know how it would work for beef.  I will type it as is, but remember you can tweak it to suit your tastes.

Mix the following seasonings:
2 1/2 t sage (when I was out of sage once I used Pampered Chef Italian Seasoning -- it was the best)
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t red pepper
3/4 t pepper
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 bay leaf crushed
dash celery seed   (once I used fennel seed instead for a more italian flavor)

You can mix all this into the raw ground pork and let it sit in the fridge overnight to let the flavors meld together (I do this then form it into sausage patties), or, you can add it in the frying pan while the pork is cooking for a crumbled sausage (like on a pizza).  I usually use all of the seasonings for one pound of ground pork, but the recipe actually calls for several pounds.  I don't think there would be enough flavor if you had more than a pound!

The Beckers have a recipe for turkey sausage in their red cookbook which I have used in beef before.  It is: 1 t sage, 1/2 t thyme, 1 t salt, 1/8 t pepper, 1-3 T water.  Knead into meat til thoroughly blended.  Let sit in fridge 2-3 days to allow flavors to blend or use right away. 

Happy cooking!  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2006, 04:49:48 AM »
I found a good article that explains whey you shouldn't eat hydrogenated fats and why you should up your doses of the good fats.

http://www.explorepub.com/articles/nutrition1.html

Here's a snippet.

...In our struggle to direct the biochemistry of the human system we have fallen into an abyss in regard to our understanding of lipids and therapeutic manipulation. Virtually every aspect of metabolism is completely dependent upon the fats we consume yet current opinion leads one to believe that the etiology of the catastrophic illnesses of our time all have an intimate connection to the consumption of butter, eggs and meat. The entire spectrum of autoimmune disorders, endocrine imbalances, gastrointestinal disturbances cardiovascular difficulties and central nervous system involvement are all rivoted in derangement of fatty acid metabolism. The conflict is so deep that cardiologists and oncologists have completely opposing statements in regard to lipid consumption, one stating that fats be avoided completely and the other the exclusive use of polyunsaturated fats. American and European homes abound with polyunsaturates, unfortunately they are in the form of hydrogenated or trans fatty acids that are lifeless lipids that cannot support nutriture with anything more than calories. The use of trans fats literally shuts down the fatty acid metabolism. The synthesis of prostaglandins-local hormones that control all cell to cell interactions within the body-are completely dependent upon the ingestion of high quality, unaltered fatty acids. The body requires specific fatty acids to create gastrointestinal integrity, bilipid membranes, hormones, neurohormones, prostaglandins and immune modulators all derived from fatty acids and these fats must be supplied and trans fats avoided if modulation of the faulty metabolism is to be achieved....
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2006, 03:53:40 PM »
Okay so here's a question or maybe a statement I would like you all's opinion on.  I was talking today with (chemistry major) DH about hydrogenated oils, avoiding them and frying things in oil and he said that the process of hydrogenation is automatically performed when the oils reach a certain temperature.  This would mean that it doesn't really matter what oil you use to deep fry something it's going to be hydrogenated by the end.  So I was just curious if perhaps certain oils have a higher 'hydrogenating' temperature than others and what those temps are?

-Heather

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 02:15:06 AM »
Okay so here's a question or maybe a statement I would like you all's opinion on.  I was talking today with (chemistry major) DH about hydrogenated oils, avoiding them and frying things in oil and he said that the process of hydrogenation is automatically performed when the oils reach a certain temperature.  This would mean that it doesn't really matter what oil you use to deep fry something it's going to be hydrogenated by the end.  So I was just curious if perhaps certain oils have a higher 'hydrogenating' temperature than others and what those temps are?

-Heather
BUMP
I'm curious about this also.  :-\
We bake with Crisco.... and I'm about to purchase a fryer and fill it with canola oil. (it is what I have on hand)
Questions:
Can I *really*  use coconut (LouAnn) oil in baking in lieu of Crisco?
Which would be the *better* of the two in a fry daddy... canola oil or just plain veg oil? We have 8 kids... not a lotta money for a food budget. ;)
Thanks for your help! :) (and can someone answer sOOONNN??? We are putting away our computer after this week!)
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~