10 (13.7%)
pancakes
0 (0%)
something different everyday
38 (52.1%)
toast (with various toppings)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: What do your kids eat for breakfast?  (Read 29007 times)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
What do your kids eat for breakfast?
« on: October 13, 2007, 02:42:38 AM »
Just a fun poll to see what others do at home.  I usually cave in and buy cereals from the store when I have coupons and they are on sale and then store them in the basement.  The biggest drawback has been the prices!  I do not like to purchase ones with high sugar content or dyes in them and I have found that having the children go without for a long time helps when you want to reintroduce cereals they may not have chosen before.  They are just happy to have ANY kind by then. 

For awhile, it was cereal on Saturdays only with toast with peanut butter and jelly the rest of the week or "mush".  "Mush" is what they call anything with the consistency of oatmeal (wheat cereal, 10 grain bob's red mill, oat groats, etc).  i like to go back to this for the winter and to save some $ here and there. 

We also buy frozen waffles (the kind you pop in the toaster) when they are on sale for $1 per box and serve them with butter and REAL maple syrup.

I eat eggs in the a.m. for the protein most days (can't get enough of it lately).  "Special" mornings I might do a pancake thing or an eggstravaganza for everyone (especially if Daddy is home for breakfast). 

What about you all?

YoopreMama

Re: What do your kids eat for breakfast?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 03:03:38 AM »
Goodie!  Breakfast foods!   ;D

We make:
--brown rice/millet/oat pancakes, soaked the night before (also doubles as a waffle recipe)--blueberries/chocolate chips

--peanut butter toast w/ honey or banana or coconut

--homemade yogurt w/ fruit (frozen berries) or coconut--smoothies

--muffins...little rare these days being Gluten Free

--egg, good ham, and cheese on bread or muffin

--scrambled eggs w/ cheese and veggies...sometimes in a tortilla w/ salsa

--Pannakakku--9 x 13 Finnish pancake (recipe on other threads)..eggs, butter, milk, flour, sugar...

--sometimes GF cold cereal (cornflakes)

--soaked granola (for the gluten troubles)

--cream of brown rice, or warmed up cooked rice, creamy millet, soaked oatmeal,

--almonds, dried fruit in combo w/ other stuff...sometimes the get a piece of fruit 1st, and then 1/2 hour later, more breakfast...

I can't think of anything else...I think there's a related thread, though, on breakfast foods... ???  Off to make one of those for breakfast! 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 03:22:43 AM »
Okay, my list looks almost exactly like yooper's.  So, I won't write it all down, again. ;)  Breakfast is the only meal that the kids are allowed to choose on their own, mostly because they help make it. 
Once a month is "Donut Day"!!! (my favorite)  ::)
*I must have been one of those people Kristen was talking about in a different thread*
 :D

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 03:27:58 AM »
Toast a lot.  Cereal if on sale at HFS.  Eggs when we had chickens.  Bagels that hubby picks up.  Frozen waffles (flax plus).  Daddy does pancakes on Saturdays.  And then of course for every birthday, swedish pancakes with lingonberries, powdered sugar, syrup, tons of coffee.  It's a great tradition!
Gotta go.  My coffee is ready, and we're having bagels today as Pa and biggest boy are off to play paintball!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 03:37:09 AM »
I'm the odd one again.  We have toast & spreads every day with few exceptions.  That's probably over 300 days a year we have toast.  For me, it's easiest with our crew, satisfies the various appetites (peanut butter, honey, jam, butter only) and holds them til lunch.

Simple & decision free earns the most points in my house.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 03:45:14 AM »

*I must have been one of those people Kristen was talking about in a different thread*
 :D

What people?  :D :D

Here's what we have:
-Fruit Salad (daily) Consisting of berries, grapes, apples, kiwis, etc.
With it we either have:
-Peanut butter muffin (I make this with: oatmeal, wholewhat flour, choc chipsr raisins, honey, real peanut butter, etc)
-Peanut Butter Toast (store bought bread)
-Or Some sort of cereal if it was on sale.
- Oatmeal (if it's winter.....NOT soaked.... can never remember!  ::)) with honey and some sort of berry mixed in.
- Cheese eggs if it's the weekend.

To drink:
kombucha or milk

*during the week the stuff is already made up. I have a large fruit salad sitting in the fridge and I make the muffins about once a week). I just take it out of the fridge and serve it*

cecac

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 03:45:34 AM »
We eat oatmeal, mostly.  Or, grits cereal.  That's simple, too, but we have more dishes that way :P.

Today dd 12 is going to make granola to give us a break.

Cara

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:25:07 AM »
We have some form of eggs almost everyday. Usually scrambled but the kids love fried. I don't like eggs but feel better if I eat them. We go through 6-8 doz a week for 5 of us. Sometimes I'll soak a batch of waffles or pancakes over night. For syrup I blend a defrosted bag of berries and a couple bananas. For a special treat I'll make butter milk biscuits from NT. Big hit with dh. If I'm really tired I'll throw plain yogurt and bananas on the table.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 05:02:12 AM »
We usually have eggs cooked to order and homemade, whole wheat toast.   Also on the table are a couple of jams and some local honey for those who want it.  Will add a meat or fried potatoes to this once a week or so. 
Got really hooked on eggs from keeping chickens for so many years and being too poor to eat anything we didn't grow or gather!   :D

Sundays are the exception here for breakfast choices.  I buy boxed cereal - not sugared - that the family can fix and eat on their own.  They only get two or three to choose from at a time. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 05:26:57 AM »
Here's what we have:
With it we either have:
-Peanut butter muffin (I make this with: oatmeal, wholewhat flour, choc chipsr raisins, honey, real peanut butter, etc)
- Oatmeal (if it's winter.....NOT soaked.... can never remember!  ::)) with honey and some sort of berry mixed in.

To drink:
kombucha or milk

*during the week the stuff is already made up. I have a large fruit salad sitting in the fridge and I make the muffins about once a week). I just take it out of the fridge and serve it*

I love fruit. I love muffins. I love cheese eggs. I love kombucha. I don't like to cook breakfast. I want to eat at your house!
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 05:30:43 AM »
Here's what we have:
With it we either have:

To drink:
kombucha or milk

I love fruit. I love muffins. I love cheese eggs. I love kombucha. I don't like to cook breakfast. I want to eat at your house!
WR

great idea!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 05:52:36 AM »
For us it's one or more of the following:

Eggs - scrambled, fried, or creamed, sometimes with bacon

Grits - butter and salt, sometimes cheese

GREGGs (grits and scrambled eggs mixed together) with crumbled bacon or without, and sometimes cheese

Toast - regular, with jelly, cinnamon toast with honey, peanut butter with honey, or with creamed eggs on top

Biscuits - with butter or butter and maple syrup or jelly, or sausage gravy, or cheese

Hot cereal - Soaked oatmeal or soaked cream of wheat with butter and maple syrup

Cold cereal

WR
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 05:57:29 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline trainmom

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 06:01:12 AM »
What are grits?

For us it's one or more of the following:

Eggs - scrambled, fried, or creamed, sometimes with bacon

Grits - butter and salt, sometimes cheese

GREGGs (grits and scrambled eggs mixed together) with crumbled bacon or without, and sometimes cheese

Toast - regular, with jelly, cinnamon toast with honey, peanut butter with honey, or with creamed eggs on top

Biscuits - with butter or butter and maple syrup or jelly, or sausage gravy, or cheese

Hot cereal - Soaked oatmeal or soaked cream of wheat with butter and maple syrup

Cold cereal

WR

W=

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 06:06:22 AM »
Who Needs God?

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 06:27:08 AM »

WR

If you already have the muffins and fruit made.... AND you have a husband that makes the cheese egss on the weekends...... THEN you don't really have to cook breakfast.
(I don't like it either....but it's cool if it's already sitting waiting, I just put it on a plate)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:42:53 AM by KristenA »

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 06:31:30 AM »
I'm the odd one again.  We have toast & spreads every day with few exceptions.  That's probably over 300 days a year we have toast.  For me, it's easiest with our crew, satisfies the various appetites (peanut butter, honey, jam, butter only) and holds them til lunch.

Simple & decision free earns the most points in my house.  Sarah K
Someday I'm going to be like you!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 07:34:36 AM »
I like what Debi Pearl said it CTBHHM about give them peanut butter toast every day on a paper towel, and save cereal for a treat on the weekend. Too many choices confuse their spirit. 
When I am in bread bakng mode, 2-3x per week, then we get the toast thing going.  I need a bigger toaster!  I think the Voeller girs said one time that they did many slices at once in the oven.  That's clever - we've done that with frozen waffles.
My mom was one of those people who always got up around 4 am, so she'd often have a cooked breakfast before we left for school at 7.  I didn't realize then what a treat that was.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 07:53:17 AM »
Fried eggs on toast every morning.

Oatmeal, soaked and cooked.
Oatmeal (soaked) pancakes.
Baked oatmeal.
Sticky buns, made with soaked biscuits
(All depends what I remembered to soak the night before.)

Milk and tea.

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 07:59:17 AM »
we have eggs and toast every weekday morning. We have chickens and I make whole wheat bread so this is cheap and healthy. I really like oatmeal but find that no one stays full for long when I make that. We tried the toast with peanut butter thing but everyone kept asking when breakfast was. I guess it didn't seem like a meal. On Saturdays we have a special breakfast that is whatever sounds good. Something like peach cobbler, German pancakes, french toast etc we hang around in our pajamas and eat breakfast real late on Saturdays. Sunday we have oatmeal (been trying to do that in the crockpot). My hubby is not a breakfast person so its just me and the kids in the am. Course he shows up around 10 looking for lunch  ::)
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 09:29:43 AM »
I really like oatmeal but find that no one stays full for long when I make that.
Really?! When we eat oatmeal nobody's hungry 'til lunch or later (except maybe the teenaged boy) What kind of oatmeal do you use? We use steal-cut oats and soak them overnight.
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 10:21:09 AM »
Our list includes; oatmeal, fruit, pancakes with eggs, eggs, grits and toast, I also mix sausage, cooked rice and scrambled eggs together and sprinkle soy sauce once in awhile over it....so good.
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 10:44:07 AM »
...Something like peach cobbler, German pancakes, french toast etc we hang around in our pajamas and eat breakfast real late on Saturdays...
Oh, thank you for reminding me of FRENCH toast!  We can use our GF bread and it's a favorite.  A friend makes a baked french toast w/ peaches...oh my...

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »
Oh I forgot to put French Toast on our list. My two older children usually cook this. They sometimes come up with some flavor combos that should be on the You Eat What?! thread. LOL. Once, my ds made french toast with vanilla and orange flavorings, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and 1/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa (for three people).  :o

It wasn't that bad either... well... at least it was edible.  :D

WR
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:49:07 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 10:50:52 AM »
We are late risers because of my hubby's schedule, so we usually have a light, late breakfast so we are hungry by lunch time. We usually have some combination of fruit, egg, biscuits, granola and occasionally a "healthier" cereal. We keep it quick and easy.  :)
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 01:52:07 PM »

WR

If you already have the muffins and fruit made.... AND you have a husband that makes the cheese egss on the weekends...... THEN you don't really have to cook breakfast.
(I don't like it either....but it's cool if it's already sitting waiting, I just put it on a plate)

My husband did this ... twice.  Once the day after we were married (he was REAL appreciative-like ... hmmm wonder why? ;)) and once just last week when I was pitiful tired and grumpy in the a.m. from a rough night of no sleeping and the uncomfortables.   ;D

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 03:15:56 PM »

[/quote]

My husband did this ... twice.  Once the day after we were married (he was REAL appreciative-like ... hmmm wonder why? ;))[/quote]

Funny how they aren't as appreciative any more! LOL  ;D Although I will say my wonderful hubby knew I had a rough night last weekend and let me sleep in on Sunday and made everone breakfast.

WR, we eat steel cut or old fashioned depending on what I am in the mood for. I don't usually soak them cause I never remember although I do sometimes do it in the crockpot. Maybe its not so much that we are HUNGRY but I find eating really any carbs at breakfast makes ME crave sugary things the rest of the day.
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »
Quote from: Whiterock link=topic=12713.msg117932#msg117932 [/quote

WR

I hate to cook breakfast, so I don't!! ;D  I taught my oldest dd to take over that chore as soon as I could.  Dh takes over on the weekends.  I am not a morning person.  I have tried so many times to change to a morning person, but I just can't!!  And now I don't want to! :D
We have many of the same things all ready mentioned.  Although I didn't see smoothies anywhere, unless I missed them.  Thats an easy one too.
Dh makes waffles every Saturday morning.  I have stopped buying cold cereal unless it is organic and healthy.  The kids are not in favor of this.  They prefer the "tasty" cereals.  I just tell them when they are in charge of their own house they can buy what they want to.  Until then eat it or wait for lunch!  I'm a mean mamma!! >:( ;D ;D

mauimom

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
I've never heard of soaking pancakes and waffles.  Why is this done?  I've heard of soaking grains and thats about it.  I never do it though.  Does it make a difference?
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 05:46:05 PM »
Aw! Smoothies! I forgot about those too.

Ours are ususally yogurt, kefir, frozen banana, egg yolks, coconut oil, and whatever berry or fruit we have in the freezer. Sometimes no berries, just honey. And in the last batch I made, I put a few Tbsp of pomegranate and cherry juice concentrate. They were the best smoothies I've ever made.

WR
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:14:55 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 05:48:26 PM »
The principles of soaking your flours is the same as for soaking grains.  I started doing this also and I find it makes a big difference - much "softer".  It also virtually eliminates the need for milk in the recipe which for us is a huge deal as my children can't have cow's milk, I prefer not to do rice or soy, and goat's milk is limited.

hth,
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12