Author Topic: Nourishing the Endocrine System  (Read 77972 times)

cecac

Nourishing the Endocrine System
« on: October 23, 2007, 07:50:04 AM »
The past few years I've had varyng degrees of adrenal fatigue.  I have been successful at helping my adrenals climb back to health through diet and supplements.  However, as I've been told by my OMD/chiro, once one of the endocrine system glands goes out, then it can unbalance the others.  Therefore, I've experienced fatigue and the accompanying symptoms of fatigue for other endocrine system glands, as well.

I would like to "pick everyone's brain" on how to nourish the entire endocrine system over time.

I can start by saying that these things have helped me:

1.  Mostly whole foods diet and exclusion of unhealthy fats, chems, preservatives, sugars.

2.  Whole food supplements.  I use Standard Process.  I'd be interested to know if there are other supplement lines that do well for the endocrine system.

3.  For the adrenals (thus perhaps the entire endocrine system?), adequate rest consistently.

Thank you in advance for any input,
Cara

Offline Chadycake

• Adept
Re: Nourishing the Endocrine System
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:10:12 AM »
Have you tried using Maca root?

The endocrine system is a collection of glands that produce chemical "messengers" called hormones essential for normal bodily functions. A wide variety of physiological processes are carried out unconsciously by these "messengers". Once released they flow directily into the bloodstream and are transported to organs and tissues throughout the entire body. 

Scientists and doctors are now finding maca to be one of the best natural ways to regulated and support endochrine health. This action regulates metabolism, energy levels, growth, sexual development and the sense of well being and attitude.

Thankfully, maca does not contain hormones itself. Instead it provides a unique set of nutrients that directly fuel the endocrine and help the glands to produce vital hormones in precise dosages predetermined by one's own body.

http://www.macaroot.com/benefits/index.html  Directly under that quote it tells a little about how maca is supposed to help the different parts of the endocrine system.  (It's about 1/3 of the way down on the page)

I've been using Adrenalift for several weeks now.  It's an herbal extract with maca root as the main ingredient.  I've been feeling much better than I was a few weeks ago when I posted on the diagnose me thread.  I'm not 100% sure that it's because of this stuff, cuz that's not the only thing I've been doing.  I figured I'd take it for another month and then stop & see if I get worse again.

I just thought you might want to look into it.

Here's some info on the Adrenalift: http://www.adrenalift.com/

Hope that's helpful!

:) ~W
"Daddy, when we die, will we have eyes... so we can see God?" -Caleb, age 4

I'm blogging recipes and natural health info at http://concoctionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/

cecac

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:15:19 AM »
Wow, that's great.  I'm pregnant right now, but I'll come back to this after the baby is born because this maca may be something to try postpartum for entire endocrine support.  Maybe I can help all the glands improve together!! 

Thank you,
Cara

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 03:22:38 PM »
Ok, my head is spinning and I need some advice and some direction.  I have read most of the the thyroid, adrenal, endocrine stuff on here.  I have researched various stuff online.  I have Linda Rector Page's book and Prescription for Nutritional Healing, which I have looked through both. 

1. I have had seizures for at least the last 13 years, probably longer.  Just didn't know that that what was happening.  I, after having a grand mal in 1999 and going to neurologists who prescribed anti-convulsants, found info relating low progesterone with lowered seizure threshold.  (My OB/GYN had just done a hysteroscopy and D&C on me and said I produced little or no progesterone.)  I got a prescription for supplementation (natural, micronized progesterone) and generally do well UNLESS I get overly exhausted, sleep deprived, etc... Then I end up seizing.  Mostly petit mals.  Sometimes, grand mals.  Amazingly and weirdly, I had NO problems ever getting pregnant or keeping the pregnancies.  Both my OB and my naturo said I could stop the progesterone after the first trimester of my last pregnancy.  I tried. Within a very short amount of time, I had a seizure.  And a few years ago my OB put me on birth control to take care of some weird bleeding.  Within 5 days, I had a seizure. 

2. My OB/GYN called Friday and said my TSH (test taken on Thursday) was really high.  He is running a total thyroid screen and I should have the results early this week. (I thought I was having typical symptoms because I am a mom! :D)

3.  My family has a lot of related issues.  My dad and sis have major vertigo problems.  Dad has Reynaud's.  My mom, grandma and other sis all have HUGE thyroid issues.  Low blood pressure is another symptom. 

4. I have wondered for a while if I have adrenal problems. I can have a good day and then two or three bad days when I just can't do anything but drag through the day.  Muscle weakness, extreme fatigue.  I hit a wall as early as 10 am and don't get past it until early evening or night time.

5.  I am really trying to watch our finances and pinch the pennies.  We have put SO much money into supplements and I often wonder if any of it has done any good.  I can't go dump more into another long list of things I "should" be taking.  This is, I think, why my head is spinning.  I want to get to the bottom of this and get help, but I can't spend much.

So, what are your recommendations?  What can I do?  Is this a pituitary problem, since it is the "master" gland?  Am I estrogen dominant?  Is it candida?  Is it adrenal exhaustion?  I don't want to go to another doctor or pour a bunch more $ into pills of any form.  Where do I start and how do I wade through the plethora of information?  What would you do and where would you start?  (If I were on the other end of this, I would probably be able to give some words of wisdom, but I just get there for myself.  It's like I cannot be objective and see things clearly.)  How about certain foods?  Have any of you had success in overcoming glandular issues by eating or not eating certain foods?

Thank you for your patience and your prayerful wisdom.  I trust my God to supply my every need.  In the midst of all of this, He has protected me from so much and provided for my wonderful family's every need.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 03:24:26 PM by crystal »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 03:34:22 PM »
  How about certain foods? 

If you think you have adrenal issues, stay away from caffeine(tea, soda, coffee).  Caffeine is very hard on the adrenal glands.
Also, Wild Yam would be a good supplement for your hormonal problems.  Perhaps, someone else will have some more suggestions for ya, too.  Hope you figure out what to do.  Try not to stress finding a perfect cure.  You will find bits and pieces to the puzzle little by little.  Keep praying!  ;)

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »
Ok, my head is spinning and I need some advice and some direction.  I have read most of the the thyroid, adrenal, endocrine stuff on here.  I have researched various stuff online.  I have Linda Rector Page's book and Prescription for Nutritional Healing, which I have looked through both. 

1. I have had seizures for at least the last 13 years, probably longer.  Just didn't know that that what was happening.  I, after having a grand mal in 1999 and going to neurologists who prescribed anti-convulsants, found info relating low progesterone with lowered seizure threshold.  (My OB/GYN had just done a hysteroscopy and D&C on me and said I produced little or no progesterone.)  I got a prescription for supplementation (natural, micronized progesterone) and generally do well UNLESS I get overly exhausted, sleep deprived, etc... Then I end up seizing.  Mostly petit mals.  Sometimes, grand mals.  Amazingly and weirdly, I had NO problems ever getting pregnant or keeping the pregnancies.  Both my OB and my naturo said I could stop the progesterone after the first trimester of my last pregnancy.  I tried. Within a very short amount of time, I had a seizure.  And a few years ago my OB put me on birth control to take care of some weird bleeding.  Within 5 days, I had a seizure. 

2. My OB/GYN called Friday and said my TSH (test taken on Thursday) was really high.  He is running a total thyroid screen and I should have the results early this week. (I thought I was having typical symptoms because I am a mom! :D)

3.  My family has a lot of related issues.  My dad and sis have major vertigo problems.  Dad has Reynaud's.  My mom, grandma and other sis all have HUGE thyroid issues.  Low blood pressure is another symptom. 

4. I have wondered for a while if I have adrenal problems. I can have a good day and then two or three bad days when I just can't do anything but drag through the day.  Muscle weakness, extreme fatigue.  I hit a wall as early as 10 am and don't get past it until early evening or night time.

5.  I am really trying to watch our finances and pinch the pennies.  We have put SO much money into supplements and I often wonder if any of it has done any good.  I can't go dump more into another long list of things I "should" be taking.  This is, I think, why my head is spinning.  I want to get to the bottom of this and get help, but I can't spend much.

So, what are your recommendations?  What can I do?  Is this a pituitary problem, since it is the "master" gland?  Am I estrogen dominant?  Is it candida?  Is it adrenal exhaustion?  I don't want to go to another doctor or pour a bunch more $ into pills of any form.  Where do I start and how do I wade through the plethora of information?  What would you do and where would you start?  (If I were on the other end of this, I would probably be able to give some words of wisdom, but I just get there for myself.  It's like I cannot be objective and see things clearly.)  How about certain foods?  Have any of you had success in overcoming glandular issues by eating or not eating certain foods?

Thank you for your patience and your prayerful wisdom.  I trust my God to supply my every need.  In the midst of all of this, He has protected me from so much and provided for my wonderful family's every need.

I forgot to mention a very strange symptom that I have been experiencing for just a week or so.  (Maybe it isn't even related.)  My mouth (mainly the tongue) will, all of the sudden, feel numb and tingly.  It is very similar to the feeling one has after chewing on a whole clove, if any of you know what I am talking about.  I researched it and it said that such a thing can be related to the parathyroid gland.  Any comments? ???

HIO, thanks for the wise words about not finding the perfect cure.  I suppose that that is what I have been looking for.  The impossible?  Probably. :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 04:14:27 PM by crystal »

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 04:09:46 PM »
The past few years I've had varyng degrees of adrenal fatigue.  I have been successful at helping my adrenals climb back to health through diet and supplements.  However, as I've been told by my OMD/chiro, once one of the endocrine system glands goes out, then it can unbalance the others.  Therefore, I've experienced fatigue and the accompanying symptoms of fatigue for other endocrine system glands, as well.

I would like to "pick everyone's brain" on how to nourish the entire endocrine system over time.

I can start by saying that these things have helped me:

1.  Mostly whole foods diet and exclusion of unhealthy fats, chems, preservatives, sugars.

2.  Whole food supplements.  I use Standard Process.  I'd be interested to know if there are other supplement lines that do well for the endocrine system.

3.  For the adrenals (thus perhaps the entire endocrine system?), adequate rest consistently.

Thank you in advance for any input,
Cara

Hi Cara,
Just thought I'd throw this in.

My brother suffered from extreme adrenal fatigue. He saw an ND who put him on lots of great supplements, mostly from Standard Process. All of them helped somewhat, but after my bro did his own research and put himself on a good pantothenic acid, did he really start to notice GREAT improvement in his health. He also noticed when he ran out of PA, he started going downhill, quickly, again.

So....he is still healing his adrenals, still on good supplements, still on a good diet and he always makes sure he takes his pantothenic acid. It has made a world of difference for him.

Hope this is helpful to you..

BTW, an excellent book on this subject is Adrenal Fatigue:The 21st Century Stress Syndrome by Dr. James Wilson. I have it and it is the resource that helped my brother the most.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

cecac

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 04:35:51 PM »
Thank you Mama Sita,

Do you think pantothenic acid is good for the entire endocrine system?  I've taken it during a bad dip of adrenals, but I'm doing much better. 

I think I may try to do some research on the b vitamins as they are connected to the endocrine system.......seems that they might be key, and it also seems that Americans may not get enough b's, hence the endocrine system issues that plague us.

Crystal,

You are having a lot of symptoms.  Can your ND not help you with diagnosis?  I'll try to give you a few thoughts from reading your post:

1.  Low blood pressure can be connected to adrenals.
2.  It seems evident you need progesterone for the seizures.  I've never seen anything about seizures in reading about adrenals.  I haven't read on the entire endocrine system, though, so there could be a connection.
3.  The B vitamins do seem to be helpful, healthy fats can be helpful, avoidance of non-nutritious food also is helpful (and cheap, I mean we gotta eat, so just try and buy whole foods.) 
4.  Hopefully you can understand more about this when you get your thyroid test back. That might be key?
5.  Perhaps you should go with the weakest link/links first?  So, if you find that the thyroid is way out of balance, read for thyroid and nourish them, first.  You sound like adrenals may be an issue as well, so perhaps you could try and line your diet and any supplementation up to help both at the same time?

I pray the Lord's wisdom for you as you look into healing your body.
Cara

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 06:57:43 PM »
Thanks Cara and Mamasita.  Your words are well received and will be seriously considered.  I am needing perspective and you have offered just that.  I am suffering from the infamous 'can't see the forest for the trees' thing.   :-\

Keep those cards and letters coming!  (Anyone else?)  I need all the help that I can get. :D

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 09:37:32 AM »
Thanks Cara and Mamasita.  Your words are well received and will be seriously considered.  I am needing perspective and you have offered just that.  I am suffering from the infamous 'can't see the forest for the trees' thing.   :-\

Keep those cards and letters coming!  (Anyone else?)  I need all the help that I can get. :D
bump

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 05:20:21 AM »

Low BP can also be from thyroid troubles as well. It can all be so confusing.

I'm thinking when just 1 endocrine gland is acting up it causes all the other endocrine glands to act up until it is a cycle of poor health with them all missbehaving inside of us. But the trick is to find which one of the glands is the leader of the pack who started the troubles in the beginning.

The pituitary gland is the master of the entire endocrine system. It controls the other glands. I wonder if there is any natural healing methods/herbs to get the pituitary gland back in shape?

a link for a discription of what the pit gland does

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec13/ch162/ch162a.html
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 05:27:06 AM by BJ_BOBBI_JO »

cecac

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 05:28:10 PM »

Low BP can also be from thyroid troubles as well. It can all be so confusing.

I'm thinking when just 1 endocrine gland is acting up it causes all the other endocrine glands to act up until it is a cycle of poor health with them all missbehaving inside of us. But the trick is to find which one of the glands is the leader of the pack who started the troubles in the beginning.

The pituitary gland is the master of the entire endocrine system. It controls the other glands. I wonder if there is any natural healing methods/herbs to get the pituitary gland back in shape?

a link for a discription of what the pit gland does

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec13/ch162/ch162a.html

Yippee for you, BJ.  I went to the doctor with my MIL a couple of days ago.  She had had blood, saliva, and stool tests taken.  When we looked at her blood test, the one pituitary horomone that was tested for was slightly elevated.  Basically, Dr. Manzanero (www.austinintegrativemedicine.com) said that her pituitary was "yelling" for more of something.  My MIL's thyroid is running on the low side, although not out of "range".  Dr. Manzanero is one of those doctors who thinks the ranges are not set properly and he's got my MIL on Armour Thyroid.  Dr. Manzanero did indeed call the pituitary the Master Gland.

Okay, so I back up some.  I've been dealing with adrenals.  At one point, when my adrenals were doing well (not nursing or preggars for once, LOL) then my pituitary showed weakness.  My chiro/OMD told me that there is a real huge balance going on with the endocrine system.  When one is strengthened that had previously been the weak link, then the healing process will move forward and there will be another weak link which, if strengthened, will move up to the strength level of the now strengthened link that had been the weakest before.  Hard to explain, but I hope that is understandable.

You are definitely on to something with the pituitary.  Here's a link that may clue us in on some ways to nourish it if we are having other insufficiencies in the endocrine system.

http://www.marysherbs.com/anatomy/anat-pit.shtml

Here are some questions running through my head:

Should we go ahead and nourish the pituitary if we are struggling with one of the other endocrine system glands?

What are the dietary recommendations for those with weakness (as seen by symptoms) of a gland/glands in the endocrine system?

I was reading in a quarterly Weston Price newsletter/magazine a testimonial of one lady with adrenal insufficiency.  She healed herself with a very high fat (as in healthy fats per Nourishing Traditions, Weston A. Price, etc) diet.

Hmmmm, I haven't had time, but I thought I'd try to look into that.  I don't know why, but I'm thinking high fat and very highly nutritious bone broths may "speak" to the endocrine system.

Also, I noticed in some scattered reading that I was doing about pituitary (man that stuff gets so medical my eyes cross) that there are some B vitamin deficiencies that go along with pituitary weakness, as well as some mineral deficiency (which information I believe is in the above link.)

Blessings,
Cara

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 05:55:05 PM »
CARA-
that is a neat and easy to understand site. TY for sharing it.  It says alfalfa is good for the pit gland. I have been taking alfalfa pills for a while now and I do notice I feel a bit better while taking them.

I remember one time I did detailed research on myself and traced my health issues back to my pit gland but I cant remember which portion of the pit gland I traced it to. That is neat to know what herbs, vit and minerals help the pit gland. I was thinking I needed to get some more guto kola so now this confirms it for me.

cecac

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »
Thanks, BJ, and you are encouraging me to go on ahead and get some alfallfa.  I'd been thinking about it for the entire family (good, cheap minerals for everyone that I like to do every once in a while).  I'm glad it's helped you, and I don't think it'll hurt me in this pregnancy.  Might help me go into labor.

Can you tell me about gota kola?  Can I take it in pregnancy?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 06:08:23 PM »
I did detailed research on myself and traced my health issues back to my pit gland but I cant remember which portion of the pit gland I traced it to. [/color]

My guess would be the hypothalamus.  It is the control center of the pituitary gland.  I did some research on it awhile back.  Your hormones are regulated by the pituitary, which is controlled by the hypothalamus.  Just a thought.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 06:05:57 AM »
I dunno if  alfalfa supplements are safe during preg or not? Anyone else know?

But I do know that some ppl eat alfalfa and I would think it would be safe to eat?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2007, 06:28:45 AM »
ALot of poeple use Alfalfa during pregnancy, and some only in the last trimester, ect to build milk supply and prevent extra bleeding. But there are differences in opinion about this. Teresa tapp from T-tapp says it is ok during pregnancy, alot of poeple take alfalfa while doin t-tapp.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2007, 08:08:05 AM »
One of the building blocks to proper endocrine function is iodine. You may be able to alleviate some of the symptoms of a depleted system with other types of supplementation or therapies, but if you have an iodine deficiency, your endocrine system just cannot do what it was designed to do. IMO, iodine deficiency is a great contributor to hormone deficiency, estrogen related cancers, and MANY other symptoms.

There is a thread on WTM that deals with Iodine Deficiency. I compiled my research into an article here:
http://potterswheelschool.blogspot.com/2007/12/iodine-required-for-health.html

For information on one of nature's rich stores of iodine, Kelp, read this:
http://potterswheelschool.blogspot.com/2007/12/kelp.html
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

cecac

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »
One of the building blocks to proper endocrine function is iodine. You may be able to alleviate some of the symptoms of a depleted system with other types of supplementation or therapies, but if you have an iodine deficiency, your endocrine system just cannot do what it was designed to do. IMO, iodine deficiency is a great contributor to hormone deficiency, estrogen related cancers, and MANY other symptoms.

There is a thread on WTM that deals with Iodine Deficiency. I compiled my research into an article here:

SC,

This is very interesting for me.  We subscribe to the monthly newsletter by Dr. West (who uses Standard Process).  As a subscriber, I am able to detail symptoms I am having, and he will give an opinion back to me.  I did that before pregnancy and he recommended Iodine Fullfillment Therapy.  I found out I was pregnant before I received his reply.  I don't want to do the Iodine Fullfillment Therapy until postpardum.  According to Dr. West, you are very right. 

Iodine Fullfillment Therapy lasts from some weeks to months.  You take more massive doses of it and fulfill your body's needs and then gradually go down to your needed daily level, which is usually quite a bit smaller of a dose.  You do have to monitor your symptoms to know when to reduce the iodine, and you have to take skin patch tests as you go along.

BJ, I know I can take alfalfa.  It's Gota Kola I don't know about.  However, I was thinking this morning that for the pituitary, Magnesium, Selenium, and B-Complex are very important,at least according to the link I gave above.

So, I am going to just add alfalfa to my regimin, due to the fact that I consistently take a complete B food source vitamin and I take Magnesium.  Therefore, I figure I could cover my bases a little better for the various other minerals by just taking alfalfa.

Now, whether it will help me with going into labor is unknown to me.  I would wonder if anyone has helped themselves go into labor by specifically supporting the pituitary.  It is also unknown to me what the time frame is for something like this.  I know my adrenals can build when my body is not in other stress modes (as in busy growing a baby).  I work hard to maintain my adrenals in pregnancy,at least this time.  I would bet that the pituitary would be the same, therefore, I would guess that I may not be able to see if I can successfully go into labor this time due to the timing of my finding this information.

Also, SC has a point.  I may very well be Iodine deficient, and I bet that is a major component of helping the entire endocrine system.  I bet after I read her links I will feel that way even more so.  Therefore, I guess an additional question is would the endocrine system behave within more normal ranges even if you are running a deficiency in iodine?  I am sitting here thinking that it would not help me go into labor if the pituitary would still mis-fire due to a possible lack of iodine.

I know one thing I  can do to check iodine levels is to do the skin patch test.  Perhaps I could do that to determine if I should at least supplement with iodine.  In which case, I should perhaps use kelp instead of alfalfa.  I would likely get iodine and also many other minerals that way. :-\

Thanks, ladies,for helping me think, here.  I'll post stuff if I do it.
Cara

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 01:27:14 PM »

SC,

This is very interesting for me.  We subscribe to the monthly newsletter by Dr. West (who uses Standard Process).  As a subscriber, I am able to detail symptoms I am having, and he will give an opinion back to me.  I did that before pregnancy and he recommended Iodine Fullfillment Therapy.  I found out I was pregnant before I received his reply.  I don't want to do the Iodine Fullfillment Therapy until postpardum.  According to Dr. West, you are very right. 

Iodine Fullfillment Therapy lasts from some weeks to months.  You take more massive doses of it and fulfill your body's needs and then gradually go down to your needed daily level, which is usually quite a bit smaller of a dose.  You do have to monitor your symptoms to know when to reduce the iodine, and you have to take skin patch tests as you go along.
Cara, here is a link to the Iodine thread on WTM and how to test for iodine deficiency. The skin test is not recommended as a reliable test in my research. Here's why:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1488.msg54649.html#msg54649
The book I refer to details a urine output test and how to monitor levels in a person with a depleted system. Treatment for iodine deficiency lasts for about 3 months. After this, you simply consume a daily maintainance dose from a quality source.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 01:28:58 PM by SC »

cecac

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 02:03:27 PM »
Oh, okay, thank you SC.  I'll look at that before I decide what to do as far as testing right now.  Somehow I don't think I want to just take kelp without understanding what my iodine level is right now. :-\

EDIT:  I looked at the research, SC, thank you.  Although, I did not look at that about urine testing.  I do think I'll go ahead and get the iodine solution from the pharmacy for testing, and then I think I'll use the Prolamine Iodine from Standard Process because I trust this company and also because the dose is measured (as opposed to kelp, which may differ).  I don't really feel up to dealing with a urine test right now, and I checked with Dr. West's information for the Iodine Fulfillment Therapy and the patch test is what he uses.  :-\  I will also check with the pharmacist/naturally educated person at the pharmacy.  I'll see if it's okay to do any iodine supplementation during pregnancy.  Otherwise, I'll just put this on hold.

Oh, and I want that book from the Iodine thread that you recommended.  I'm hoping the library has it!!  I was looking for some good reading.

Thank you again, SC,
Cara
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 05:06:36 PM by cecac »

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »
When dealing with people in a fragile physical state, children, pregnant and/or lactating women, my general rule is that I treat FIRST with a natural food source. This is the gentlest and safest course. Plants and animals have assimilated the nutrients that our bodies need in a bio-available form. This is MUCH SAFER for the body to process than individual nutrients in supplemental or pharmaceutical form. In nature, these nutrients come packaged with trace minerals, nutrients and enzymes that help the human body utilize what it needs and dispose of what it does not need.

In the instance of iodine deficiency in a person that is fragile, a child, pregnant or lactating, I would treat first with natural, organic whole foods until the individual is no longer fragile, a child, pregnant or lactating. It may take longer to correct a deficiency this way, but no damage will be done to the individual and their deficiency will not increase.

If a person is not dealing with these things, I would then cautiously examine supplementation. In an instance where reliable testing is not an option (urine output testing), then I would devise and follow a persistent and conservative course of consumption of food sources and safe supplementation over three months time. After three months, I would continue to seek out and consume natural food sources on a regular basis.

I do not believe that iodine deficiency is the result of a lack of supplements and/or medication. I believe it is an imbalance brought on by a lack in the diet that must be corrected (either by supplementation, diet or a combination of the two) and then eliminated by corrections to the diet.

Just my $.02

cecac

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 09:42:23 AM »
Yes, I agree.  However, in my present condition, I have to rely on supplements for the basics even though I eat a good diet most of the time. 

I suspect the vegan diet I did over the course of about three children (who are healthy by the way, lol, likely because they used my stuff ::)) has me in enough of a deficiency that I don't try food sources solely.

I'm not being sarcastic here when I say that you'd have thought all those salads and all that carrot/celery juice  and even some Barley Green that I consumed would of had me in top condition. :-\

That is why I trust Standard Process because that is food source, as true as I've seen or understood.  So, as you are warning, I do plan on having a rather lengthy conversation with someone at the pharmacy about using the iodine from Standard Process vs. using kelp.  I have thought I'd do the recommended lowest dose, so at least I'm getting some of it.  I'd rather use kelp, at least today after some thought, due to the pituitary connection, and not just iodine needs.  But I need to see about that and have some discussions.  Hmmm, I also need to take them a list of what I already take.  I may be getting iodine.

I'm a little afraid to do kelp and a small amount of organic iodine together.  I need to read more. :-\ 

I go out on Friday, so if you have any other thoughts, that's great for me.  I'm obviously still thinking here.  Wish I could get ahold of that book sooner, but I can't.  I was going to try and digest more of what you've posted a little each day so maybe I can understand better. :-\

I hope you don't think I'm arguing, SC.  I'm not and I do appreciate the thoughts and links.

Is there any harm, does anyone know, with just taking a dose of kelp each day?  Could you run into an overdose doing that?  It is a food source, correct?  I may could just do that, and keep it simple as long as I'm fairly sure I can't overdose it.

Cara

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:45:51 AM by cecac »

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 04:39:11 AM »
Hmm, So, I'm curious about a couple things I've read here. Like caffeine making adrenals even more stressed/tired, iodine deficiency, and the pituitary gland.

I've already been diagnosed w/ autoimmune thyroid (hypothyroid).  I thought/think I'm going through some sort of hormonal crash after weaning my ds. Prior to to weaning I having been pregnant and nursing for the last four years. I've never had an sort of a menstrual cycle in four years now.

So, here are my thoughts, let me know your thoughts please.
Caffeine: I went CF/GF four months ago. However, recently I've found myself drinking soda, which I never used to do. I think I started doing it b/c I was craving other food but could have the soda b/c after all it was GF/CF. I knew before reading this post that soda was not a WTM food :) , but figure now it wasn't helping my moods maybe b/c it was freaking my adrenals out.

Iodine: Well, being hypothyroid I knew before reading this that I was probably iodine deficient.
However, I hadn't known about the connection of iodine in cod liver oil. I do know that I handle my day with much more ease if I take my CLO. Maybe that's in part why.

Pituitary Gland: So, this is the one I'm still a little fuzzy on. But, I'm wondering what it's roll might be in premature labor and/or rapid labor...Anyone?? :)

Thanks!

cecac

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 05:32:50 AM »
Well, SC has a very good thread on Iodine.  I plan on getting the book she recommends ASAP. 

As to caffeine, it is a problem to the endocrine system, I'm thinking, as would be the sugar and/or aspartame or other sweetners.

However, that being said :P, I drink two cups of tea a day. 

I have noticed (tho I don't know if it's connected to endocrine system or not) that sugar, preserves, and chemicals do weird stuff to my energy levels/mood/ability to go to sleep at night.  Since those items give me a hard time at night, I would suspect they are causing my adrenals problems. 

I am thinking part of the endocrine system issue would be a whole food, healthy fat, diet.  And fairly strict while the endocrine system is being balanced.  But, that is totally a hunch on my part, nothing more.  Guess, lol, it certainly can't hurt.

Just some thoughts,
Cara

cecac

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 06:19:04 AM »
Yes, I agree.  However, in my present condition, I have to rely on supplements for the basics even though I eat a good diet most of the time. 

I suspect the vegan diet I did over the course of about three children (who are healthy by the way, lol, likely because they used my stuff ::)) has me in enough of a deficiency that I don't try food sources solely.

I'm not being sarcastic here when I say that you'd have thought all those salads and all that carrot/celery juice  and even some Barley Green that I consumed would of had me in top condition. :-\

That is why I trust Standard Process because that is food source, as true as I've seen or understood.  So, as you are warning, I do plan on having a rather lengthy conversation with someone at the pharmacy about using the iodine from Standard Process vs. using kelp.  I have thought I'd do the recommended lowest dose, so at least I'm getting some of it.  I'd rather use kelp, at least today after some thought, due to the pituitary connection, and not just iodine needs.  But I need to see about that and have some discussions.  Hmmm, I also need to take them a list of what I already take.  I may be getting iodine.

I'm a little afraid to do kelp and a small amount of organic iodine together.  I need to read more. :-\ 

I go out on Friday, so if you have any other thoughts, that's great for me.  I'm obviously still thinking here.  Wish I could get ahold of that book sooner, but I can't.  I was going to try and digest more of what you've posted a little each day so maybe I can understand better. :-\

I hope you don't think I'm arguing, SC.  I'm not and I do appreciate the thoughts and links.

Is there any harm, does anyone know, with just taking a dose of kelp each day?  Could you run into an overdose doing that?  It is a food source, correct?  I may could just do that, and keep it simple as long as I'm fairly sure I can't overdose it.

Cara

While I'm here, I'd forgotten to update.  I went and talked to the knowledgeable people at the pharmacy.  The lady got me Organic Minerals from Standard Process (kelp & potassium, I think) and she helped me dose lower than even normal.  So I do take this every day now. 

She also informed me, when I asked about pituitary supplementation to try and go into labor, that that wasn't a good idea.  I didn't want to start taking anything out of balance during a pregnancy, when I'm already doing fairly well although I do think my endocrine system is a bit more suppressed now than it used to be when I was pregnant (I'm on #10 right now). 

Offline MrsSWM

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »

Now, whether it will help me with going into labor is unknown to me.  I would wonder if anyone has helped themselves go into labor by specifically supporting the pituitary.  It is also unknown to me what the time frame is for something like this.  I know my adrenals can build when my body is not in other stress modes (as in busy growing a baby).  I work hard to maintain my adrenals in pregnancy,at least this time.  I would bet that the pituitary would be the same, therefore, I would guess that I may not be able to see if I can successfully go into labor this time due to the timing of my finding this information.

[/quote]

Hello!

I have never posted before, but have been reading for awhile and have certainly gleaned a lot of helpful information from you all.

I am 9 months pregnant (almost 4 days overdue) with our 6th baby and have been struggling with severe adrenal fatigue throughout this whole pregnancy ( I think bordering on Adddison's Disease).

I have read Dr. Wilson's book and found it very helpful and am trying to implement a good nutritional routine.

I did have a question for you, Cara.

I have never gone past a due date before without at least going into labor (and 3 of my babies have been a bit early). I noticed your comment about being able to go into labor and was wondering if that is a problem with adrenal fatigue? I've tried to research this online, but can't seem to find anything out.

Thanks very much! I have really appreciated all your posts on this subject.

Sincerely,
Jennifer

cecac

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
Hello Jennifer!!

Welcome to WTM, and it's always, always nice to have some others to bounce ideas with on the endocrine system.

I am 34 weeks preggars and beginning to feel my dilation start up (I delivered #9 at 36.5 weeks, so I'm not too early or anything).

I think yours is a Very Good Question.  I haven't researched online, though. :-\  I began adrenal fatigue (NOT to Addisons, yikes for you!!) probably around pregnancy #7, when I began experiencing many of the more severe symptoms.  I haven't been able to go into labor without help since #5, with the exception of #6 boy who broke my water and was born inadvertantly on the living room floor.  Lol, our first homebirth, which took about 45 minutes, 1-2 contractions, and really no pain in pushing. :o

With #9, seriously, I was dilated to 4 cm, almost 100 percent effaced, and no contractions.  So, after a wee bit of research on the internet about endocrine system, I figure maybe it goes like this:  since I know my adrenals blow out sometimes, then I should at least wonder if the other endocrine system glands are not balanced either.  The pituitary (along with others, but that's the primary) is supposed to put us in labor. 

So,  ???  I am hoping to find more books on complete endocrine system nourishment.  I went to my pharmacy where there are natural pharmacists there (trained in more natural remedies) earlier in this pregnancy.  She did not recommend that I specifically nourish the pituitary in the hopes of going into labor because she didn't think it a good idea to possibly further mess with an endocrine system already growing a baby.

I do not believe I have read in Dr. Wilson's book that the adrenal glands are connected to labor, but do you remember anything in there about it?  So, I wouldn't know on that one other than your endocrine system, while able to do the horomone things it's supposed to right now, may have too much on it's plate as a whole. ???  Just a possibility to me, at this point.

I'm preggars with a boy this #10 time.  Boys are the only ones who break my water, and so I am thinking if my water breaks, I go into quick labor.  See, #9 was induced and a girl.  My doctor broke my water and the same thing happened with her--they were all a little surpised to see the head about an hour later. ;D  I literally ache all over, but don't have contractions any other way.

I am thinking about trying the endocrine system supplement suggested earlier on this thread (Master Gland) after this pregnancy.  Perhaps with time and diligence to nourish the adrenals, the entire endocrine, and do as you are doing as far as following Dr. Wilson's book, maybe if I get to go to #11 I will actually, shock of all shocks, go into labor.

I hope you go into labor soon, and that your delivery is everything you hope for,

Let us know!!

Blessings,
Cara

Offline MrsSWM

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »
Thank you very much for your quick and helpful reply!

I've been wondering what role the adrenals might play in labor and delivery and your posts have given me lots more food for thought!

I don't think Dr. Wilson addressed this in his book, but it would sure be interesting to research it out.

The adrenal fatigue has been coming on over the past few years, but didn't get really bad until about a year ago, so I've yet to have a baby with my adrenals in as bad of shape as they are right now. It seems I might possibly be in for a different experience this time! :o

We are really learning to trust the Lord, that's for sure  :)

Thanks again, very much

Jennifer

Offline MrsSWM

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 06:01:30 PM »
Cara,

If you don't mind, I do have one more question for you! Since my adrenal fatigue has been so bad mostly since just a little while before this pregnancy, I'm not quite sure what to expect my health to be like once the baby is born. Do you find that your health does improve when you are not expecting?

I have been stuck at a plateau for months now and can't seem to improve. The fatigue has been so debilitating that my dear younger sister has been staying with us for the past 8 months since helping me run the household ( I honestly don't know what we would have done without her!). I am hoping and praying that once our little baby has safely arrived I will be able to start getting well again, instead of just surviving! :)

We are so grateful the Lord has given us this new little life in the midst of this hard time and we hope and pray for many more blessings. I just desperately want to be well again so I can properly care for my husband and little ones! I'm hoping that I will be able to get my body built up and restored to health again, since right now I can't seem to make any headway.

Anyhow, I was just wondering what your experience was with adrenal fatigue and the difference in how you felt when you ARE expecting a baby and when you aren't. :)

Thank you VERY much for your time :-)

Sincerely,
Jennifer