Author Topic: Hair Loss: Causes & Cures  (Read 83349 times)

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
Hair Loss: Causes & Cures
« on: April 20, 2006, 05:09:06 PM »
Hi!

After the birth of my 1st child, I experienced postpartum hair loss - but it didn't come back.  Now, my 2nd child is almost 5 mos., and I am extremely thin with bald patches.  Both births/recoveries were very difficult, and this time I have had several outside stressors (deaths, etc.).  I have been praying about this, and believe stress has added to it and so I am working at relaxing.  However, it's difficult to relax while going bald!!! :o

Anybody else experience extreme hair loss?  Would Supermom help?  I am nursing and wonder about taking it while nursing.  I am currently taking Reliv, a liquid supplement, and have taken it for 2 years. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Hair Loss: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »
Hair loss can be attributed to vitamin deficiencies.  Supermom might be a good place to start.

You also need to consider your overall scalp health.  If your scalp isn't healthy (eggy and moist) it won't hold hair, no matter how much hair you grow. 

Personally, I would work on both.  I would take a prenatal or supermom vitamin and then I would eliminate shampoos especially shampoo/conditioner in one bottle.  Both of these make your hair akaline and can cause signigicant hair loss (been there, done that).   No dyes or perms either. Check this thread for a healthier way to wash and condition your hair.  I would also work on some deep conditioning - hot oil, mayonaise and this type of thing.  Eggs are good for your hair and scalp as well because they are loaded with protein.

Here are some links with various recipes for natural conditioners.  Homemade Beauty Recipes
Raw Eggs for Hair Care
Hair Crisis Measures
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 06:56:07 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:18:38 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I used my bar soap this morning and only a bit of conditioner, but planning on using a.c. vinegar.  May I ask why use distilled h2o and not just tap?  Instead of buying distilled could I leave some tap tap sitting out 24 hrs to remove the chlorine? 

Thanks

TammyLee

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I used my bar soap this morning and only a bit of conditioner, but planning on using a.c. vinegar.  May I ask why use distilled h2o and not just tap?  Instead of buying distilled could I leave some tap tap sitting out 24 hrs to remove the chlorine? 

Thanks

TammyLee

I use tap water, but distilled or purified is recommended because the minerals in the water make it harder to rinse the soap out of your hair.  With distilled water or soft water, you'd have less need for the vinegar to rinse the soap from your hair.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 03:22:44 PM »
I got my hair permed after my baby was born, needless to say I lost gobs and gobs of hair, I had thin flat hair before, I threw away every single shampoo that was not one hundred percent natural and started taking care of it, oiling it, protectingit, not washing too often, using organic natural conditioner,I also regulary , every 2 months or so use do a henna treatment.  after every shampoo i rinse with vinegar with a little bit of essential oil in it, I want to learn how to do the herbal vinegars.  I also use my sisterinlaws own homemade chamomile and lavender bath bar for shampoo, it suds great and makes my hair super shiny and clean with its coconut oil, (it does not make your hair look oily) now 18 months later, my hair is truly beutiful!  Thick, Shiny, getting longer, fully of body and bounce. I have no split ends. andhavent cut it since sept 2005  My husband loves it!  I use the kathys family shampoo from <a href="http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi-bin/Main.pl?AID=079749&BID=30>Mountain Rose Herbs[/url]  and also get my henna from them.
   I used a herbal essance from walmart a couple months ago twice in a 4 day period, and couldnt beleive how flat my hair got, and my scalp kindof hurt , my hair looked dull and lifeless. that convinced me to absoulutly not compromise, so now if i run out of shampoo i use baking soda.  If you want some lavender chamomile soap you can PM me, I dont know anywhere else that makes it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:58:04 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »
shampoo i use baking soda.  If you want some lavender chamomile soap you can PM me, I dont know anywhere else that makes it.

This is the website that initiated my vinegar research.  They sell shampoo bars if you're interested.  Can't vouch for them, but their stuff looks great.  They claim

"Our all natural shampoo bars contain no artificial fragrance, color, preservatives, detergents, alcohol, urea, formaldehyde, sodium laurel sulfate, DEA, propylene glycol - or any of the other synthetic hair care additives."
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 03:19:17 AM »
wow those look really good!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 08:26:23 AM »
yeah, we can't decide which so are gonna try some of the samples!  they are $1.75 each.  they all sound wonderful!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 01:47:36 PM »
thanks!  i quit using shampoo over the weekend and am following the curly girl method for wavy hair  - just using a bit of conditioner and gel and once a week i use lye soap on my scalp. dd and i both think my hair looks fuller today. btw, i can get homemade lavender lye soap where i live.  :)

also made up an herbal a.c.vinegar infusion.  it's steeping now, can't wait to use it.

ugh, going bald is the pits....

helen, i will look into what you said.

i am also doing the a.c. vinegar rinse and am taking 2tsp of a.c.v. in a glass of water 3x/day

i tried not using gel in my hair, but it looks worse w/out it

also looking into natural progesterone cream.

thanks!

tammylee

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 03:49:08 PM »
i tried not using gel in my hair, but it looks worse w/out it

Read this thread.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 03:12:37 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 09:49:54 AM »
 "The other maladies that Lavender is reportedly helpful in controlling include such things as the control of dandruff and hair loss when included in shampoos. Many of these claims have yet to be tested scientifically but it is evident that many of the old uses for lavender were more than simply old wives tales....more"

I use lavender in my vinegar hair rinse as well.  Maybe this is why my hair started growing again.  It's actually grown about 5 inches since I started using this stuff and my hair stopped growing after every pregnancy until recently  :o

Here's the recipe.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 11:08:31 AM »
I have some lavender essential oil.  I wonder if I can use that???

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:52 AM »
Lavender essential oil is what i use in my vinegar

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 12:02:30 PM »
hmmm, i've already made some up last week with sage (to cover my grey), chamomille (hair growth), thyme (hair loss).  why i didn't see that about the lavender and rosemary is beyond me...   ::)  I wonder if I can add the lavender to what I've already made???  how much would I add???

also, how often do you use your infusion?  I've been doing mine every other day b/c the site said daily can cause dry hair.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 12:12:16 PM »
also, how often do you use your infusion?  I've been doing mine every other day b/c the site said daily can cause dry hair.

I use mine every time I take a shower cuz I use it in place of my deoderant as well.  Depending on the week (the temp, the amount of sweating, etc), that could be every day or it might be every 2-3 days. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline FatBoy

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 07:17:17 AM »
Hi!

After ... my 2nd child ... I am extremely thin with bald patches. 

I've never had any kids but I'm going bald. Should I look in the men's health thread?

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 09:29:21 AM »
Hi!

After ... my 2nd child ... I am extremely thin with bald patches. 

I've never had any kids but I'm going bald. Should I look in the men's health thread?

LOL - Personally, I think a man can be bald and it's no big deal. Especially if you have a nice round head  :D. In fact, lots of guys just shave their heads and it looks fine. Women, on the other hand, just CAN'T look okay with no hair.

HOWEVER - all the suggestions on this thread should work for a man as well. Taking care of your hair and scalp, eating good food, cutting out presciption drugs and stress... all lead to healthy hair.

Good luck.  ;)

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 12:39:21 PM »
LOL - Personally, I think a man can be bald and it's no big deal. Especially if you have a nice round head  :D. In fact, lots of guys just shave their heads and it looks fine. Women, on the other hand, just CAN'T look okay with no hair.

HOWEVER - all the suggestions on this thread should work for a man as well. Taking care of your hair and scalp, eating good food, cutting out presciption drugs and stress... all lead to healthy hair.

Good luck.  ;)

DITTO  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 05:41:11 PM »

Thanks

TammyLee

I use tap water, but distilled or purified is recommended because the minerals in the water make it harder to rinse the soap out of your hair.  With distilled water or soft water, you'd have less need for the vinegar to rinse the soap from your hair.

I used boiled tap water, for lack of distilled/purified, in the egg conditioner from one of the links HB provided.  The conditioner worked but it DIDN'T rinse out well even with the vinegar. I could smell egg in my hair for the next day or so.  :P  Hmmm... I guess I need some distilled water. ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 07:31:01 PM »
I could smell egg in my hair for the next day or so.  :P  Hmmm...
It should make you smarter, after all, now you're an egghead.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »
A lady e-mailed me with this question.  Do any of you have any suggestions? 

I am a 52 year old female and am losing hair. Could be genetic or something else. Do any of your products help with hair loss. I am going to order the SuperMom for energy (I have 7 children aged 7 to 19). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 11:55:10 AM »
I was losing my hair (which always happens to me when nursing).  I started taking Supermom and the hair loss stopped!  I started with one tablet in the a.m. and one in the p.m. because baby started getting acne (detox symptoms I think).  Several weeks later I can now take 2 tabs at a time and baby tolerates it fine.  I was losing SO MUCH hair! :P  It was in everything too.  My clothes, my purse, all over my car, my food, and everyone elses's food too :D.  I can't believe how little hair I lose now.  Less than when I'm not nursing!  I think you'll really like the Supermoms.  Sounds like you need it with 7 children  ;)  You really are a Supermom ;D

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 07:31:23 AM »
this is sort of a hair loss post pregnancy question.  Before I got preg with my last baby my hair was falling out pretty badly.  I took arbonne progest. cream but it kept getting worse and worse so i quit taking it.  But when I got pregnant it quit falling out at all. NOW Annika is 4 months and like the DAY she was 4 months it started to come out. So, it sounds hormonal.  Could this mean I will get my cycle soon or that my levels are just dropping? And is there anything I can do about it?  I have great aunts that have hair so thin you can see their scalp.  I REALLY don't want that to happen to me.  Any suggestions? And I dont' want to have to take a hormone for hte rest of my life. It didn't seem to help anyway.

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 08:29:45 AM »
i have the same problem.  everything i've read so far seems to say that it will stop by the time the baby is 6 months old, and definitely by the time the baby is 12 months old.  I certainly hope so, or I'll be bald by then!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2006, 08:34:28 AM »
Guess I'll know in a couple of months then.  :P  that wasn't my experience last time b/c I worried about it up until the time I got pregnant.  Maybe I am healthier this time and I wont' have all that hair loss.  Oh, well, I see you said definitely by 12 so I guess I will give it until Feb :) but hubby hates finding my hair everywhere!!  :D  He likes it long but not flowing EVERYWHERE.  ;D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2006, 05:44:30 PM »
i have the same problem.  everything i've read so far seems to say that it will stop by the time the baby is 6 months old, and definitely by the time the baby is 12 months old.  I certainly hope so, or I'll be bald by then!

unfortunately for me i am still losing lots of hair and he just turned 12 mo.  i am taking one supermom per day, and can't hardly wait for him to quit nursing so i can stop losing hair.  it makes me feel like i am so unhealthy!  it's slowly growing back.   :P  i feel like i am just about bald!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2006, 05:49:44 PM »
My hair used to come out in gobs until I quit using shampoo.  Now I only loose a couple of hairs in the food when I cook ;)  oh, I guess I leave a couple in the brush now and again, but not like I used to.  I can't get hubby to quit using the shampoo and his hair is the only hair that is clogging the bathroom drain these days.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 07:02:12 AM »
Thyroid can cause hair loss {for those who are not prago or nurseing},and I was told kelp and vita. B help this.
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 08:18:03 AM »
Thyroid can cause hair loss {for those who are not prago or nurseing},and I was told kelp and vita. B help this.

Thyroid is also an autoimmune problem so if you were to treat for autoimmune problems with diet regulation, this might help a bunch as well.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 12:49:33 PM »
My baby is 3 1/2 mos old, and yet again, my hair seems to be falling out! :'(  It is most noticeable in my hairline around my face.  This happened after the birth of my 1st, though I don't remember it being this soon.   :oI am guessing it is a hormonal thing, but I'd like to keep my hair!!!  I know that it will grow back in, since it did last time, but I do do well with bangs  ::)

Any suggestions??
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife