Author Topic: Bathing Baby [Infants] Naturally  (Read 54616 times)

Offline iluvphil

• Adept
Bathing Baby [Infants] Naturally
« on: December 01, 2007, 05:41:02 AM »
 NO SOAP or other baby products on any part of baby's body for first 3 weeks. Use only water and sea salt, and oil (olive/coconut) for cleaning.

Just curious... why no soap or baby products for the first 3 wks? What about the sea salt is beneficial? How do you cleanse a baby with olive oil? I'm always learning new things on here!! :) My baby is due in about 7 wks and I have natural dead sea salt on hand and I want to use it if is beneficial to the baby but I first want to know the whys and hows.  :) Also, is there a difference between regular sea salt and dead sea salt? Is one better to use than the other?

Offline Jemima

• Adept
Re: Bathing Baby [Infants] Naturally
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »
I'm interested in learning the same things as above.

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »
Sea salt is mineral balanced and can prevent infection and fungi without stripping necessary oils from the skin.

Oil will mix with the natural oils on the surface of the skin, allowing any dirt or debris to be wiped off without stripping oils from the skin.
For more information check out this thread:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6206.msg65789.html#msg65789

Also, this might give you some ideas of why soap isn't always the best idea for bathing:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,7855.0.html

I'm also interested for any other input!
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
So would you want to use them mixed separate or does it matter?
 I am working on making salt scrubs.Was wondering if they are baby approved.I am using several oils and salt with essential oils.

Em

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »
joychild pretty much summed it up.

I learned from personal experience with my first three that even the mildest soaps (goat milk) resulted in dry skin and a crusty scalp for my newborns. Then I realized that even in the Bible, when cleansing/bathing is mentioned, it involves oil.

With my last baby, I gave him a bath every day with a couple tablespoons of Dead Sea Salt in the water. If he was sick, I would add a sprinkle of Baking Soda (drawing agent) a few drops of Eucalyptus, and a squirt of olive oil or almond oil.

When the bath was over, I oiled his whole body with olive or coconut oil that had a few drops of lavender oil in it. This oil was anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and soaked into his hair and skin so quickly I was amazed. His clothing did not get oily at all, and his skin stayed perfectly healthy. He never got the baby pimples and rashes like my other babies.

If I were to buy a baby product, it would be a sea salt with a tiny bit of Eucalyptus, and a body oil/cream made of coconut oil, almond or olive oil, and lavender oil.  ;)

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »

If I were to buy a baby product, it would be a sea salt with a tiny bit of Eucalyptus, and a body oil/cream made of coconut oil, almond or olive oil, and lavender oil.  ;)

Rebekah

Great advice!

I've got a baby shower to go to this weekend and I would love to give my friend and naturally healthy baby product and this sounds great! I've got coconut oil, "Real" salt, lavender & eucalyptus EO's and olive oil. What kind of concoction can I mix together? How many drops lav. to coconut oil? Will "Real" salt work? Do I mix the euc. with the salt and how many drops?

Did I ask enough questions? ;)
Thanks!!!!! :-*
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline kilikina

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 02:30:27 PM »
I always wondered why the Bible says in Ezekiel 16:4 "And as for they nativity, in the day thou wast born thy navel was not cut, neither wast thou washed in water to supple thee; thou wast not salted at all, nor swaddled at all."  I couldn't figure out why a baby would be "salted".  This thread answered my question....thanks!

YoopreMama

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 03:08:31 PM »
I always wondered why the Bible says in Ezekiel 16:4 "And as for they nativity, in the day thou wast born thy navel was not cut, neither wast thou washed in water to supple thee; thou wast not salted at all, nor swaddled at all."  I couldn't figure out why a baby would be "salted".  This thread answered my question....thanks!
Wasn't salt at birth used, too, to ward off infection?  Great thread!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 04:31:55 PM »
I've never used any soap on my babies but I've never bathed them often either. Is there a benifit to bathing daily?

My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 07:39:20 AM »
I've never used any soap on my babies but I've never bathed them often either. Is there a benifit to bathing daily?

I don't think that I've ever bathed my baby daily unless there was a big poopy mess.  I did bathe my first every other day with all the over the counter stuff.  My second I did a homebirth and learned about olive oiil.  I think I used too much cuz she was greasy.  Now I'm continuing to learn, thanks to this thread and will look forward to trying the salt and other oils to help :) 
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 07:57:12 AM »

Rebekah

Thank You!

Em

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 08:58:01 AM »

For our family, bathing babies daily was essential to establish an evening bedtime routine. Our first was so confused - up all night screaming. There were dietary things that I needed to take care of as a nursing mama for the crying - but even after that nighttime did not go smooth until we established a bedtime routine. Ours consisted of a  bath, change into clean pajamas and feeding. Did this with my second right away - even if it was not a bath I did a wipe down with a wash cloth and warm water. Something about the bath that really seemed to help.

This was just my experience with my babies. Bathing each night was such a benefit with a better night sleep for my little ones!

Plus as they grew older they almost always needed it. We live where it is very warm almost all year round and between spitting up and poppy messes, there was a little smell that needed to be taken care of at the end of the day!

My two are prior to WTM and if we are blessed with a third, I look forward to trying some of the suggestions here for what to use to bathe them with.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 09:45:54 AM »

I'm SO GLAD you said this. I didn't either. My babies were 'spot cleaned' as needed after a diaper change & etc., but I didn't see the point in bathing them and slathering them with chemically oils and scented lotions. They weren't out running around or getting dirty. Mine didn't have cradle cap, diaper rashes (except for a little irritation about the size of a 1/2 dollar if they got sick) or any of the other. I just used EVOO and sometimes lanolin. The pediatrician thought it was unusual that my babies had none of the raging rashes he saw on other babies (other than a heat rash once). When he asked me what I did, I told him that I just kept them clean and dry. From the look he gave me, you'd have thought I had two heads, LOL.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 10:12:31 AM »
This has been such an interesting thread! I'm intrigued by ForeverGirl's way of bathing babies... I'd like to try it with the next one. I do understand how the chemicals and SLS in regular baby care products can be hard on their skin and bodies... I've just not known what else to use - and, have to admit, I LOVE that baby clean smell you get from Johnson & Johnson's! If only there was a "baby" essential oil! I like lavendar oil, but I don't know if I want my baby smelling like that... Guess I could just rub a little baby lotion on my hands and the smell would wear off on baby!

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 10:14:57 AM »
None of my babies ever had a daily bath and most people thought I was crazy.  They weren't dirty, so I didn't see the point.  My 6 year old son has more baths now then when he was a newbie because now he is dirty (and often stinky :)).  My 3 month old has a bath a couple times a week.  He seems to poo w/in a hour after each bath - relaxation I'm sure- and I just wipe him down.  I use liquid castile soap if he has had a few diaper blow outs and smells a little 'strong'; otherwise I just let the water do it's job.  I also use sweet almond oil, or coconut oil, after bath.  Lately I've been adding some eucalyptus oil because he is stuffy.  That's all. 
I am going to look into the salt, thanks!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 10:42:56 AM »

This was just my experience with my babies. Bathing each night was such a benefit with a better night sleep for my little ones!

I ditto this. :)

cecac

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 10:52:10 AM »
Me too.  It seems to relax mine.  And I have had homemade all veggie oils soap that does just fine, except I do use shampoo.  I still haven't licked that one yet.  Reading some of this, maybe I'll get another batch of soap made soon.  I am hoping to make a liquid soap (have done so already) that I can use in baby's hair, but not every day.  Just thinking about it, some baths I would just lay baby on a towel by the sink and do a sponge off.  Mine have liked that every other day, with a dunking bath inbetween.

Offline all2Jesus

• Wait on the Lord, be of good courage!
  • Adept
  • My guys.
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »
 I've not bathed my 1 month DS, because how do you hold them still and keep them warm? It doesn't seem relaxing to the baby. So besides products, what's the process?
<><  respecting Mike for 15 yrs, Momma to Noah 6 1/2 yrs. and Titus 2 yrs .
http://allthedaysofmylife-ohhollyf.blogspot.com/

cecac

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »
I will use a towel that is large enough for them to lay on and be covered with at the same time.  That way, I can uncover some body parts and keep others covered.

My babies have cried through the sponging, but they like the part where I wrap them in the towel, hold them gently over the sink bowel, and use a washcloth to sponge their hair.  I also use the little cradle cap brush with a wee bit of shampoo for the head.  It seemed to me if I did this at least every other day, I did not have dry scalp problems as much.

My babies did not generally cry for the dunkings, though.  The crying for the quick sponging baths did seem to calm them, but maybe that's because most of mine have a fussy, late evening time.  The fussing for the sponge bath, warm/dry clothes & diapers, and final wrap up just seems to relax mine.

It's relaxing me too.  If I hadn't already snoozed for a bit earlier, I'd do it now, just talking about it.  I'm looking forward to my next one. :)

Offline all2Jesus

• Wait on the Lord, be of good courage!
  • Adept
  • My guys.
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 11:13:51 AM »
 Okay, so i should expect him to fuss but in the long run it's relaxing.
<><  respecting Mike for 15 yrs, Momma to Noah 6 1/2 yrs. and Titus 2 yrs .
http://allthedaysofmylife-ohhollyf.blogspot.com/

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 11:25:04 AM »
WTM is so cool. Where else could I admit to using salt in the bath water?  ;D
I don't usually use any soap, shampoo, or lotion on my babies until they are a year old. (After that it sometimes takes a little bit more to get them clean with everything they get into  ::)) If the baby's skin seems to be getting dry I add a bit of sweet almond oil to the bath water. The water disperses the tiny amount of oil and baby comes out moisturized but not greasy.
I too have been asked how I prevent my babies from getting cradle crap and rashes with the look when I reply that the secret is to NOT use ANY soap or body care products.  :o 8)
If you do get a crusty head on any age child a little oil massaged into the area before a bath helps alot. Loosens the dry, crusty spots so that they can be gently washed off.
I use cloth diapers alot so a daily bath seems to be more thoroughly cleansing than just washing with a cloth. Easier to get all the creases on my chubby babies! I don't always wash their heads especially if it is cool. If it IS cool I often have the baby wrapped in a towel that I submerge into the water then a warmed one waiting when I take them out. The towel idea also helps with babies that startle easily. Evening baths work really well for me. Extra stimulation to wake them up and help them really fill up their bellies and get all cozy to sleep for (2-3  ::) hours) so Mama has plenty of time to cuddle up and share bedtime with Daddy!  ;D

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 12:03:23 PM »
I have always been evasive about baby bathing, as most people don't want to hear that your children aren't bathed daily.  ha ha ha 

Our first child was born over 26 years ago and, since I am extremely allergic to all the Johnson's-type stuff, I just used Ivory or Kirk's Castile soap for bathing and EVOO for smoothing on his skin. 

DH set the standard for our bathing method with #2 when he asked me to hand the baby in to him in the shower after I changed a messy diaper.  All the rest have been washed this way until they were around a year old.  Dad loved it, baby had a nice rubdown with warm, clear water, and a good cuddling from their daddy.  We generally skipped soap until it was needed for knees and feet around 10 months or so.  Dh handed the wet babe out to me and I bundled in a towel and, usually, nursed the wet wiggler while rubbing dry with the towel.  In the winter, we turned the heat up in evenings so the room was cozy enough for oiling the clean babe before dressing. 

This soapless cleaning combined with cloth diapers, we think, kept our kiddos rash free, too. 

Even as they have grown, we rarely bathe the children more than twice a week unless they get into something.  And without using much soap or shampoo, they don't get smelly often.  Our girls won't give up their nicely scented, natural deodorant, but youngest ds has just started using baking soda to dust his pits. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »
When Noelle was born I used the Burts Bee's Tearless all in one baby cleaning stuff on her.  Her skin was prone to dryness so I would follow that up with Vanilla Dream Body Lotion which worked very well.

A couple of months ago due to a hectic schedule and lots of traveling I was using disposable diapers with her instead of the cloth we had used up until that point.  She got a HORRIBLE rash.  :-[

In the course of treating that we found that using the Eucalyptus Bath Salts that we carry at Beeyoutiful not only healed the rash within 24 hours it also has kept it from recurring.  I don't use the Burts Bee's stuff anymore.  Just bath her with the Eucalyptus Bath Salts in the water and her skin has never looked better.  Her skin is so well moisturized from the natural oils in the bath salts she doesn't ever need lotion anymore, even with the dryness of the winter air.

We want her to love water and be very familiar with it, and for her to learn how to handle herself in the water so there is not as much of a "fear" hurdle to get over later down the road.  We have worked hard making her bath times special and enjoyable.  Newborns instinctively know to hold their breath when water hits them in the face.  We have tried to keep her in "practice" as far as remembering how to hold her breath by practicing in the shower at least once a week.   I hold her face under the spray for a few seconds and she thinks it is a fun game and squeals with delight after coming out from under it.  We are now working on her relaxing on her back and learning to float in the bathtub.  I have noticed that she seems to float a lot better since adding the salts to the water which makes it a lot easier!     
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »
I've not bathed my 1 month DS, because how do you hold them still and keep them warm? It doesn't seem relaxing to the baby. So besides products, what's the process?

I don't find the bath itself to be relaxing to a newborn, but stimulates them like boysmama mentioned and "wears them out" so that they nurse great and settle down for the night much better. I think it refreshes them in a way that they sleep better and that goes for all my children at all ages. :)

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »

Rebekah

Great advice!

I've got a baby shower to go to this weekend and I would love to give my friend and naturally healthy baby product and this sounds great! I've got coconut oil, "Real" salt, lavender & eucalyptus EO's and olive oil. What kind of concoction can I mix together? How many drops lav. to coconut oil? Will "Real" salt work? Do I mix the euc. with the salt and how many drops?

BUMP!

I've got that baby shower this weekend and wanted to put together some soothing baby bathing treats. I'm gonna get the dead sea salt. Anyone have any ideas for what/how much to mix of the EO's and oils? How about the coconut oil and lav EO?

Thanks again!
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 01:51:17 PM »
I have found this thread so helpful!

I have avoided baths and soaps with my last two (22 mos and 2 mos).  I use a baby wipe recipe that I got on here for diaper changes. (I use cloth).  In the rare event that they have a rash, I apply my green salve (comfrey, plantain, and aloe) and by the next change the rash is gone.

I've implemented the Dead Sea Salts, baking soda, and Eucalyptus EO in baths for them.  Especially with my 8yo ds who has problems with hives and other skin rashes.  We've also started the lavender infused EVOO with him and my two little ones (they have cradle cap) after their bath.

Thanks everyone for all of your input!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 02:13:50 PM »
............  I hold her face under the spray for a few seconds and she thinks it is a fun game and squeals with delight after coming out from under it.  We are now working on her relaxing on her back and learning to float in the bathtub.  I have noticed that she seems to float a lot better since adding the salts to the water which makes it a lot easier!     

Great idea!  I started taking my first son into the shower with  me out of convenience.  (Until he was about 2 and started asking questions  :o ...'mommy, what are those?'  ;D
Anyway, I think I'll do this with my daughter (due in Jan.) starting earlier and with a purpose! 

Also, I'm in the 'barely bathe' camp.  Our boys get a bath once or twice a week.  Unless they jump in the shower with daddy.  MUCH easier on mommy's preggo back! 
I think this time around I'm going to do the little to no soap, too!
Thanks for all the tips, ladies!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 03:42:19 PM »
I am sure Opie, in the old Andy Griffith show, would be happy to know that you all agree with him about the need for bathing!  "Aunt Bee, do I have to take a bath?"

Further up someone asks if they can use Real Salt instead of Dead Sea salt for bathing.  I didn't see a direct answer, so if there wasn't one, here's my opinion.  You can use it, but it would probably be more economical to use the DSS, depending on where you buy it.  If you buy the fancy DSS probably not, but certainly if you look around on line and buy DSS in some bulk form.  I got mine off ebay after someone else on WTM let us in on their supply.  DSS is different, and I think better, but Real Salt is pure sea salt so it would be good too.

My 2 cents.

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 04:33:25 PM »

BUMP!

I've got that baby shower this weekend and wanted to put together some soothing baby bathing treats. I'm gonna get the dead sea salt. Anyone have any ideas for what/how much to mix of the EO's and oils? How about the coconut oil and lav EO?

Thanks again!

(Using what you have) I would mix:

1 Cup Dead Sea Salt
1 - 2 TBS of Olive Oil
5 - 10 Drops of Eucalyptus EO
3 TBS of Baking Soda

I would put it in a pretty jar and include instructions to add 1-3 tsp to the bathwater.

For Sweet Baby Cream I would mix:

1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (warmed to liquid)
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
10 Drops of Lavender EO

I would put this in a pretty squeeze bottle (Walmart for 50 cents) with instructions to smooth just a few drops over towel dried baby after bath. Also, you could add a few drops of this to baby's bath instead of the bath salts. I'm thinking that this should be the right ratio of coconut oil to olive oil so that it will be "lotion-y" instead of hard at room temp with just the coconut oil. Although if you are in a tropical location it would all be liquid anyway...  ;D

I haven't made these exact "recipes" I am just estimating based on concoctions that I've experimented with and what ratios seem to work!

Let me know if you use them and what you think!

Jamie
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 08:08:17 PM »
I'm just jumping in here.  I haven't read this whole thread so I hope what I have to say fits the conversation...
My first 2 babies I bathed often, from birth.  Probably about every other day.  I hated it because they are just so slippery when they are so little but, like so many other things, I thought I had to do it.  # 3 I bathed less often, probably once a week.  This poor child (7 months) probably only had 6 baths until a month ago when I started feeding him solids.  One thing I have noticed is that the other kids went through times when their skin would dry out and flake.  This baby has always had perfect skin, just minor acne for the first few weeks.  When I did bathe him, all I did in the first few weeks was put a little Sweet Almond oil and Dead sea salt in the water and maybe a drop of Lavendar oil.  I never noticed him stinking or anything - and if he did, no one else told me ;D.
So from now on for my infants it will be "once a month, whether they need it or not!"   :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:12:47 PM by hhmom »