Author Topic: assorted postpartum questions  (Read 22869 times)

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
assorted postpartum questions
« on: December 07, 2007, 07:41:13 AM »
Hi, ladies,
just delivered baby #3 five days ago and have a couple questions.
Question 1--I am still getting a lot of cramping, especially when nursing.  I don't have a heavy flow of lochia--it has tapered off to almost nothing.  But I don't remember being this crampy this long after my other 2 kids.  I am still sucking down a lot of motrin!  Is this just normal and I forgot how long it lasted?  It's been almost 4 years since my last baby.
Question 2 is that a year and a half ago I had my gallbladder out and a lot of milk products just go right through me.  We drink raw milk and sometimes it helps to skim it; but often not.  I can tolerate some cheese but not in large amounts, same with yogurt.  Ice cream-same way.  I am not lactose intolerant--other greasy stuff sometimes causes problems for me too.  Any suggestions for getting needed calcium since I am nursing?  I take some calcium supplements but have to be careful not to get constipated from them.  (Guess I could always then drink a big milkshake, ha, ha!)
The other question is about getting back into shape after birth.  I got away with no major birth injuries--just a tiny tear.  But I would welcome any suggestions for getting all that stuff back in shape as everything is still pretty swollen and after 3 babies everything just feels "falling apart" down there.  I have been doing kegels--is there anything else helpful?  I also have a large separation in my abdominal muscles.  Any exercises that are helpful for that and how long to wait till starting them?  Thanks for any advice!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: assorted postpartum questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 08:08:24 AM »
Hi, ladies,
Question 1--I am still getting a lot of cramping, especially when nursing.  I don't have a heavy flow of lochia--it has tapered off to almost nothing.  But I don't remember being this crampy this long after my other 2 kids.  I am still sucking down a lot of motrin!  Is this just normal and I forgot how long it lasted? 

Congratulations on your new baby blessing!  I would drink some Red raspberry leaf tea to tone your uterus.  I remember cramping terribly bad with my son after birth.  It hurt so bad that I felt like I was giving birth or having a miscarriage.

Any exercises that are helpful for that and how long to wait till starting them? 

Check out the T-tapp thread!
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3445.0.html

Offline MamaKate

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 09:19:55 AM »
Hi, ladies,
Question 1--I am still getting a lot of cramping, especially when nursing.  I don't have a heavy flow of lochia--it has tapered off to almost nothing.  But I don't remember being this crampy this long after my other 2 kids.  I am still sucking down a lot of motrin!  Is this just normal and I forgot how long it lasted?  It's been almost 4 years since my last baby.

I found that the cramping was worse after my 3rd - 6th children than it had been after the first two.  It was more intense and lasted longer.  Don't know why that is, but that was my experience. :P
Mama to 6 Beautiful Bessings!

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:45:58 AM »
I agree with HealthyInOhio. Red Raspberry Leaf Tea or capsules. Check out the article in the new Beeyoutiful Catalog by the midwife. She has a really neat story in there about how it helped a client of hers. I am 7months prego and am drinking it myself. After reading her story, it made me feel even better about drinking it, both for the calcium and the afterbirth cramping.

As far as your exercising goes, be careful with whatever you do, but the Kegels really helped me after my last one. Later on, when I wasn't as sore, I did the pelvic tilts for my back and really felt that it helped with how things went back into place. From the reading that I have done though, the Kegels are really key to getting the muscles back in place to hold things where they belong.
HTH
Blue Rose

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 09:51:27 AM »
My experience  (8 kids) has been that it gets worse each time (sorry).  I guess that's "normal" but not any fun.  I always kept a hot water bottle handy to help, and I drank more Red Raspberry tea with the last one which did make a big difference
4yo DD: "Mom can I have a cookie?"
MommyGus: (being silly) "Say 'You are the best mom in the whole world'"
4yo DD: (being very sweet) "I love you Mom...In the best world...I love you"

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:06:52 AM »
I reccomend this product, I have used it the last 2 menstrual cycles and got by with almost no Ibuprofen. I usually have killer cramps during my cycles sometimes and/or during the postpartum period.

If I take one dose and then another dose 15 minutes later, the cramps are gone for hours. Once I feel a twinge, I take one dose, then another 15 minutes later, and its like a magic wand, the cramps are gone. Someone I know took it 15 minutes before nursing and said it worked well.

This is a superior product and is safe for nursing moms immedietly after giving birth

http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/afterpain-relief-p-51.html?osCsid=369875df444d5f70f19d44cf642cc527

http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/customer_testimonials.php?products_id=51&osCsid=369875df444d5f70f19d44cf642cc527

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:17:44 AM »
Question 2 is that a year and a half ago I had my gallbladder out and a lot of milk products just go right through me.  We drink raw milk and sometimes it helps to skim it; but often not.  I can tolerate some cheese but not in large amounts, same with yogurt.  Ice cream-same way.  I am not lactose intolerant--other greasy stuff sometimes causes problems for me too.  Any suggestions for getting needed calcium since I am nursing?  I take some calcium supplements but have to be careful not to get constipated from them.  (Guess I could always then drink a big milkshake, ha, ha!)
The other question is about getting back into shape after birth.  I got away with no major birth injuries--just a tiny tear.  But I would welcome any suggestions for getting all that stuff back in shape as everything is still pretty swollen and after 3 babies everything just feels "falling apart" down there.  I have been doing kegels--is there anything else helpful?  I also have a large separation in my abdominal muscles.  Any exercises that are helpful for that and how long to wait till starting them?  Thanks for any advice!

Have you looked at Beeyoutiful's website?  They have a great calcium supplement, Bone Ami.   Take a look at www.beeyoutiful.com

Nursing will help a lot with getting the uterus back to size and, yes, it seemed to be stronger cramping after the first few for me, too.  Massaging the fundus and drinking red rasp. leaf tea helps. 

Just taking care of three children should be plenty of exercise - LOL!   :D  When my were young, I concentrated on making my cleaning chores a workout.  Squatting is good exercise for your pelvic floor, oblique crunches can help strengthen ab muscles and trim waist, etc.  Probably want to wait a month or two to start exercising, imo.  I'm in favor of new moms taking it easy for awhile. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 05:58:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am feeling a lot better--first week's always the worst I guess :).  I didn't get a chance to try the raspberry leaf tea since I didn't have any here and wasn't really up to shopping.  I am just glad to know it's pretty normal and nothing seriously wrong.  As far as the exercising I am taking it pretty easy (my husband took almost 2 weeks off work which is great--I am slowly doing more but he is making it possible for me to take naps which is really great!) but the kegels are definitely helping.  But for those of you who have had 8 kids--or any large number of kids--I feel like my body is sort of falling apart after 3 and I can't imagine having 8!...does it plateau or do you just hope for not too many hemorrhoids and do lots of kegels and hope for the best?  Just wondering! :)

My experience  (8 kids) has been that it gets worse each time (sorry).  I guess that's "normal" but not any fun.  I always kept a hot water bottle handy to help, and I drank more Red Raspberry tea with the last one which did make a big difference

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
    • New Life Birth Services
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 10:32:57 AM »
As for after pains, I am sure you must be through the worst of them now.  If you have any more babies, I would suggest taking 5W during the last five weeks.  I did that with my last two and had NO afterpains.  The 5W is the only thing I can think of that prevented them since I had them bad with my other children.

I know from experience (11 babies) that you need to stay off of your feet for the bleeding to stop.  Whenever mine would slow down and I would get busy with chores, it would start up again.

As for "falling apart", you just had a baby!  Give your body some time.  I know you are anxious to get back to normal, but it takes me at least 4 months to be regular in every way.  I agree that kegals are great.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:37:10 AM »
What is 5W?
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 01:18:37 PM »
What is 5W?

I think its a 5 week Natures Sunshine Product that is taken in the last month or so of pregnancy to make birth easier.

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 03:36:18 PM »

As for "falling apart", you just had a baby!  Give your body some time.  I know you are anxious to get back to normal, but it takes me at least 4 months to be regular in every way. 

point taken.  :)  i guess i am just impatient.  i don't like to sit around and do nothing, or not much.  i drive my husband nuts sometimes with it.  it's not a "being proud of being supermom" thing--i don't mind asking for help if i need it.  i am just used to doing my own stuff mostly by myself.  and i'm also ready for my belly to shrink a little so i can fit back in my normal clothes.  i think i forget how long it takes.  i guess you would know what you're talking about.  :)

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 04:04:06 AM »
Haha!  I am laughing because it was easy for me to give you that advice - even though I never take it myself.  I am the one vacuuming five minutes after birth.  lol 

cecac

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:10:42 AM »
hello jhandrh,

I take Calcium Lactate from Standard Process, and I do not experience any problems with constipation from it.  If you search on the Internet, you can buy it from there.

There is an exercise that a midwife gave to a friend of mine that helps with closing that abdominal muscle gap.  Let's see if I can explain it:

Lay flat on your back.  Bend your knees and place your feet at shoulders width apart.  Tighten your bumm and pick it up, keeping your back straight after you get your bumm up.  Then, with your arms crossed on your chest, pick up your head and shoulders.  Hold the bumm tight, shoulders & head raised position for a count of 10.  Lie back down and relax. 

My friend worked up to I think 10 of these, twice per day.

I personally do not try to exercise until after the lochia clears up.  Too much possibility, IMO, of increasing bleeding by doing too much.  For me, that's six weeks.

HTH, and many blessings of rest and healing to you!!
Cara

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:48:09 AM »

I know from experience (11 babies) that you need to stay off of your feet for the bleeding to stop.  Whenever mine would slow down and I would get busy with chores, it would start up again

It's so hard to stay off your feet when you have a family that needs you!!!  After I had baby #4, I felt so great, I was out in the yard chatting with the neighbors the day I had her.  My dh came and got me and made me go back inside. >:( :D

That same baby, I decided at about 2 wks post partem, that I hated the way the furniture in the LR looked, so I moved it all by myself.  This included a heavy sewing machine which I lifted and a couple of chairs which I also lifted.   :o ::)  I bled so heavy the next day, that my midwife put me on bed rest for the rest of the week.  I'll never do that again!  I hate being in bed.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 01:46:35 PM »
i will definitely try those exercises but i will wait awhile.  i was up and around too much on Mon. and am back to bleeding again--yay.  so back to laying around again.  but it is fun to cuddle this baby so i am enjoying it.  my 3 yr old seems to be missing mom being up and around with her.  but dh is doing a great job so i am happy.

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 11:02:37 AM »
I want to make and take some tea to a girlfriend who has just had a baby. She is planning on nursing. She has nursed previous babies, but I'm not sure how long. Should I take her some red raspberry leaf tea to help tone her uterus, or should I take some Mama's Milk Tea to help her milk supply?

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 11:07:52 AM »
I want to make and take some tea to a girlfriend who has just had a baby. She is planning on nursing. She has nursed previous babies, but I'm not sure how long. Should I take her some red raspberry leaf tea to help tone her uterus, or should I take some Mama's Milk Tea to help her milk supply?

I would take a little of both!
A lot of women don't need (or want) extra milk in the beginning. Ouch!!!
But, they may need some help later on.

Red Raspberry is perfect for her now and in the future.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 03:44:23 PM »
This is probably too late to help you but I thought I would post for other mamas maybe in need.

St. Johns wort was recomended to me by a midwife for afterbirth cramps. The trick is to start taking it 2 weeks BEFORE delivery. So your dates need to be fairly accurate.

Also, catnip is good for menstrual or afterbirth cramps. Tea is recomended more than the tincture, b/c the tea can be drunk freely without a cumulative effect. But the tincture is stronger- and will make you sleepy after taking it over and over.  I got the catnip info. from the wise woman herbal for her childbearing year by susan weed.
I personally drank the tea as much as possible during the day. And during the night I would take the tincture when I woke to nurse.

MY cramps were not bad at all and this was my 7th baby.

Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »
So, this is an odd thing to try to explain and write about. I am almost 6 wks postpartum. I felt, overall, like I healed really quickly. (This is baby #2, all natural, after baby #1 was epidural, etc.) Hubby and I were intimate for the first time at about one month post partum. I felt no pain, but no stimulation either. I feel like I am broken inside! I checked things out later in the shower, and it is almost like the muscle (?) right behind my front pelvis bone has prolapsed or something. I can actually push it back up inside of me a little bit. It makes my vagina shaped like a U around that muscle rather than a round opening. Does anyone have any ideas??????

Corrie
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 08:27:27 AM »
So, this is an odd thing to try to explain and write about. I am almost 6 wks postpartum. I felt, overall, like I healed really quickly. (This is baby #2, all natural, after baby #1 was epidural, etc.) Hubby and I were intimate for the first time at about one month post partum. I felt no pain, but no stimulation either. I feel like I am broken inside! I checked things out later in the shower, and it is almost like the muscle (?) right behind my front pelvis bone has prolapsed or something. I can actually push it back up inside of me a little bit. It makes my vagina shaped like a U around that muscle rather than a round opening. Does anyone have any ideas??????

Corrie

Yes there is hope. I use the Kegalmaster. It is expensive but very worth it. My husband can tell when I do not use it, he told me I have to use it every day.  There is nothing as good as the Kegalmaster for correcting weak pelvic mucsles,not any other device or any other kegal exercise by itself.  It is safe during pregancy and at 6 weeks postpartum. I was so bad I could not *feel* much during intamacy, even though my doctor said I am not falling out. There are 15 levels on the Kegalmaster and the highest being  that the va***a will be able to squeeze down on 7# resistance (springs) I highly recommend you this, like I said it is worth it. Within a few days I had better holding of my bladder (But I have to use it consistently to keep it there otherwise the good things disappear) and I start feeling things again during intamcy when  I use it for a week + or so. Its a lifelong commitment but The alternative of doing nothing or having my organs fall out, ect is not an option for me!

My  grandma had a prolapse and there were difficult health problems they traced back to that. Amazing that it cause other health problems in your body, but it can. Thats at least one reason why I want to get and keep my pelvic floor tight
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:29:33 AM by herbs girl »

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »
Thank you for responding!! I appreciate your willingness to tell me your experience.

I hope that the answer is something like what you have suggested. I am a little confused by myself, however, because I have not had any "loose" feelings or bladder control problems. My husband did not feel like things were very different either. So, hmmmm....

Anyone else had similar experiences to me or Herbs girl?

Corrie
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 02:54:25 PM »
I just found out today at the doctor that I have a cystocele. I am 28 and have only had two kids, and am not overweight. I just had a biggish baby 6 weeks ago (he was 8 lb 14 oz) and wonder if the very hard, fast pushing they had me do caused part of this. I posted more on the cycsotcele/prolapsed bladder thread. Sigh.

Corrie

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline iluvphil

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »

I also have a postpardum question...... I had a baby about a week and a half ago. Several days ago my face started breaking out in an itchy, blotchy, red rash. It's gotten alot worse over the last several days; I look pretty bad.  :-[ My face is actually a little swollen today from it. I called the doctors office and the nurse said it's probably hormonal related; having a baby can make a woman's body do strange things. She suggested I take Benadryl and if that doesn't help I should come in tomorrow so the doctor can see me. I don't want to go in; I'm afraid she'll just give me an antibiotic cream or something; I'd love to just treat it naturally if I can. Have any of you experienced anything like this and how do you suggest that I treat it? It seems almost like an allergic reaction to something and yet I'm not eating anything new or doing anything different cosmetically. I had the baby naturally, no pain meds but they did give me a little Pitocin towards the end to help me get to a 10. But the nurse didn't really think that would have done it... Do you think it's hormonal? Stress maybe? I've been under lots of that!  :-\ :)

Offline OikourgousLady

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 04:46:12 PM »
Hi iluvphil

you mentioned that you are not eating any differently or using different cosmetics. Are you taking any pain meds ? After my last baby I got itchy all over, especially on my face, from prescription pain meds. I had used them after my other childbirths w/o trouble. I hope you get it figured out soon whatever the cause.
-Andrea

Offline iluvphil

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 05:52:59 AM »
 No, I'm not taking any pain meds. Today the rash has settled into my eyes and they are swollen, itchy, and red. :-\ My husband went out and got me some Benadryl and I'm going to take it; I hope it helps. It's just so weird because I'm not taking anything or doing anything differently and so I am clueless as to what in the world would be causing it.

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 09:42:35 AM »
Sounds like a rash I had after a couple of my babies were born.  Mine was all over the top of my thighs and itched like crazy!  I never did figure it out but it went away after a few days.  My doctor also said it was hormonal.

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 05:24:35 PM »
I have a suspected uterine or vaginal prolapse.  I'm despirate to talk to someone who has beat this condition.  I saw that you recommend the Kegal Master.  I'm wondering if you had a prolapse issue or just felt like you were stretched?  Do you think the KM will help me?  Is the KM what you would do if you had a prolapse?  I'm searching for guidance and success stories from others like me who don't view surgery as an option.

Searching for info.,
Amy

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »
I have a suspected uterine or vaginal prolapse.  I'm despirate to talk to someone who has beat this condition.  I saw that you recommend the Kegal Master.  I'm wondering if you had a prolapse issue or just felt like you were stretched?  Do you think the KM will help me?  Is the KM what you would do if you had a prolapse?  I'm searching for guidance and success stories from others like me who don't view surgery as an option.

Searching for info.,
Amy
There is already a thread on this topic.  Check out some things that have already posted that might answer your question.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2540.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »
I am 6 days postpartum and went out and did a lot of shopping today - and OUCH! My insides feel like they are tied in knots and I am sore all over and exhausted. I guess I overdid it. Any advice?