Author Topic: Controlling Fevers Naturally  (Read 99903 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Controlling Fevers Naturally
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:08:42 AM »
I would like to know if anyone here has an alternative to ibuprofen(Motrin)  and/or acetominiphen(Tylenol) for controlling fevers.

My kids have a tendancy to run very high fevers while they are fighting infections - sometimes as high as 105.  They've even been so hot they pant like a dog and I have to wrap them in cold towels to get their fevers under control.  This can be pretty unnerving to say the least.

I've had pretty good luck with the commerical stuff, but they have to take so much of it while they're healing and it's not good for their little kidneys.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
Re: Controlling Fevers Naturally
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 12:13:22 AM »
I just read the ABC Herbal book in January.  It recommends a garlic enema, bathing and an herbal composition for kids.  My 5 year old had a fever soon after that and I did the enema. The fever was slight, but it was gone in an hour or less.  I also had him in the bathtub with peppermint oil.  There have been other posts on here that I have read with using the garlic poultice on the feet.  Just this past week we had a stomach bug and I again did the enema and he was only sick at about 8 pm (then I gave the enema) and he threw up one more time during the night and next day was back to normal.  This is the bug my hubby had for about 30 hours and had many many loud chats with Jon.  After my hub got sick, I was drinking the immune booster + some other herbs and eating garlic like crazy! :)  10 days later (today) I was sick with only nausea, and achey feeling.  So, if one of your kiddos gets it, garlic and herb the others up! :)  If you can catch it early, get them in the tub and enemize them. :) 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »
Regarding the fever:
I agree with getting the fever to break on it's own, or letting it do it's intended work.  However with such a high fever in such a little one, it does get scary to just 'let it go'. 

I have used hydrotherapy for fevers.  There are many ways to do hydrotherapy, but the one I like best, or find easiest is:
1) Soak a pair of cotton socks in cool to cold water (not iced!); squeeze out the water.
2) Put on the socks. 
(On whomever needs the therapy, of course) ;)
3) Over the wet socks, put on a pair of dry, wool socks.
4) Go to bed.
This works wonders for colds and fevers. 
(Although I haven't found wool socks suitable to fit my infants...)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 10:32:30 AM »
I am very new to herbs, but my kids and I all tend to go from 98.6 to 105 in a matter of minutes with the slightest virus.  So the very first herbal remedy I tried to find was a fever reducer that is safe during pregnancy, nursing & childhood.  I am leaning toward making my own elder berry tincture at the moment, but I haven't tried it yet because I'm not done researching safety, dosage, effectiveness, etc.  In fact, my toddler is asleep in my arms right now with a raging fever and I am holding off on treatment because he still seems strong to me.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, please do not take this herb or give it to your children based on my mention of it - look into it yourself and make your own decision.  It might be a starting place, though.
   As a side note, when choosing methods to reduce fevers, please avoid the following old school traditions:
1.  rubbing alcohol wipe-downs (this is toxic in such quantities and can cause hallucinations or seizures)
2.  sweating it out  - like layering blankets (if a fever is that high, don't try to make it hotter!)
3.  freezing it out  - like a cold bath (if what you are doing causes the feverish person to shiver, this is more likely to raise the internal temp than lower it, no matter what the skin temp is.)
Also be warned that even the "safe" OTC medications have possible risks.  Google "ibuprofen & Stevens Johnson Syndrome" and you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.
  Fevers are scary and can be dangerous on the rare occasions hat they become too hot.  But they are also a natural protective mechanism -  and some of the treatments out there are riskier than the fevers, so read up on the options and carefully choose which one (if any) should be used in each situation.                ~Layla

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »
freezing it out  - like a cold bath (if what you are doing causes the feverish person to shiver, this is more likely to raise the internal temp than lower it, no matter what the skin temp is.

When I use wet towels, I have always taken baby's clothes off and put baby on mommy's skin to regulate their temperature and prevent the shivers (doc warned us of shivers too!).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »
freezing it out  - like a cold bath (if what you are doing causes the feverish person to shiver, this is more likely to raise the internal temp than lower it, no matter what the skin temp is.

When I use wet towels, I have always taken baby's clothes off and put baby on mommy's skin to regulate their temperature and prevent the shivers (doc warned us of shivers too!).

I've only used this method when they are panting or severely lethargic from the fever.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »
Didn't mean to sound judgmental of you - in fact, I've heard of similar treatment being effective.  Just thought I'd include it for those whose 400 year old relatives always insist "it worked for me".  (I have a family full of those!)  Luckily I do research, or my kids would be guzzling Irish whisky every time they bumped they bumped their heads!  Okay, I didn't really have to look that one up, but you get the idea.
  I also don't mean to knock old-fashioned cures.  Some really work (i.e.  plenty of rest & chicken soup) and I think there is a wealth of knowledge that was lost over the last few generations.  That's why we have to work so hard to relearn what other mommies already perfected (before we decided we were too advanced to do things the simple way.)  I just wanted to mention a few pitfalls which are surprisingly common since we were on the topic of fevers.  Speaking of which, I better go check on my little guy.....  ~L

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 03:03:23 PM »
You didn't sound judgemental.   ;D

Luckily I do research, or my kids would be guzzling Irish whisky every time they bumped they bumped their heads!

You're cracking me up.  My grandma had some recipes using whiskey.  Some of them actually work.   ;), but of course my grandma knows everything.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 3boysmyjoys

• Adept
  • My Three Boys And My Joy
    • Contenders for the Faith
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 03:19:12 AM »
My boys recently had a virus that was going around. It included a high fever.  I first gave them a ginger bath in lukewarm water.  I've always had success with the ginger bath.  Next, I had heard that carrot juice and other juices especially grape were helpful in reducing fevers.  I gave him some fresh carrot juice and then grape.  His fever was down within an hour and it never came back.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 09:42:38 AM »
Maybe some of you can help me solve our fever/sick puzzle right now... I'm still learning the usage of herbs and such for sickness...
Our 10 mo. old baby had mild cold symptoms about a week ago, so I did my normal treatments, garlic on feet, etc. and then a couple days later he developed a fever. I didn't bother measuring it, but he got very hot esp. at night. (Normally my babies don't get high fever, but if they do its over within 24-36 hours and is because of teething or a cold or flu virus.) Once I realized this one wasn't going away in 24-36 hrs., I did a couple garlic enemas like I read in ABC Herbal. The fever left, but he is still very weak and listless and his eyes are glazed- so many fever-like symptoms, but no fever for two days. I wanted to do an herbal bath, but we don't have any oils right now. I thought of a ginger bath, but the fever hasn't returned... He nurses well sometimes, but will refuse on occasion. He doesn't seem in pain or like he has a stomach ache either.

The only new thing I have taken lately are the Supermom pills, but I don't really think that is related, just thought I'd throw it in.  Today baby has a slight rash which I'm sure is from the fever because that has happened with my babies before. In other words, I'm mystified as to what it could be and thought I might be a be to glean some wisdom from you moms who are wiser in the ways of herbs and natural healing.  :) Is there something I could have or should have done? Or shouldn't have done?  :-\ Maybe he's on the mend and I just need to give it more time...

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! ~B
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:04:53 AM by lotsaboys »

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 11:33:48 AM »
Above all, be sure that baby stays hydrated! If he's nursing, that is good, but if he isn't, try to get him to drink- a little bit really often goes a long way. I would try to give him some vitamin C. My favorite way is EmergenC packets that make what my kids call "vitamin C juice". It has a little fructose and sodium in it, so it is an oral rehydration fluid as well. (You can take more vit. C yourself too, and he will get it in your milk.) How many has he been sick total?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 12:39:48 PM »
Thanks so much for the reply!

Hydration hasn't been a problem, going by his wet diapers. He had spells when he didn't want to nurse and I thought of a sore throat or tummy ache. I would get real full but he eventually got caught up again. That's why my husband and I are so puzzled because the weakness and being rather lethargic are hanging on so long. After having the experience of breastfeeding 8 babies for 15-18 mo., I feel he really is getting enough nourishment and fluids.

He's been sick for 6 days. Seems long for me since I don't very often have sick babies.  :(
~B

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 12:54:19 PM »
Extra vit. C, either to him, or through your milk would probably still help.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 02:14:59 PM »
Thanks, Dara. I failed to mention that I plan to take vit. C myself. Also some immune builders to help him fight whatever he is fighting.  :)

Thanks again and God bless!
~B

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 02:25:56 PM »
My toddler also had a similar mystery bug a few months ago, minus the rash.  His turned out to be a harmless passing virus which left him drained, but he bounced right back, like kids do.  I hope that it happens the same for you.  
I would pay attention to the rash you mentioned, though.  Some illnesses involve a combo of fever and rash, so if this lingers or seems unusual, the rash itself may help to ID the organism causing his sickness and give you a better idea of how to proceed with treatment.  ~L

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 03:38:03 PM »
It is intersting, petrimama, that you posted about the rash because it is worse this evening. He still has no fever, just the rash, irritability, and sleeps quite a lot. He is eating tolerably well...

Any ideas on what illnesses I could suspect and do some research on? I thought of Roseola, but we've had that before and as I recall the baby didn't act sick once the fever was gone like this little guy is.

Thanks for the help and comments sent my way! What a great resource this forum is. ~B

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 03:41:54 PM »
Depending on the age, rash can accompany strep.  Two of my kids have had terrible rashes caused by strep in infancy.  One was bad enough, I thought he was having an allergic reaction to blueberries, so I took him to the ER.  He was covered from head to toe and the bumps were very angry looking.  The other one only had it in her diaper area.  Doc's say that strep this early is rare but it does happen (obviously).  I don't know if there is a good natural cure for strep.  I've always in the past used antibiotics because of the risk of rheumatic fever.  My other one doesn't get strep but she's had the fever rash before.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 06:39:42 AM »
Thanks again for the helpful posts! After no improvement in baby for a couple more days, we took him to a Dr. who was also very puzzled until he looked in his ears and discovered infection. That was our first baby (out of eight) that ever had ear infection, so that explains why it was such a mystery to us, although I felt a little ignorant.  :)  :-[ After a day or 2 of garlic oil in his ear he was (and still is) a totally different baby! Its sure nice to have our contented, jolly little guy back again!
BTW, the Dr. gave us an antibiotic prescription, but advised us not to fill it unless he doesn't get better in a week or two.  :) I like that kind of doc!

~B

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 09:27:18 AM »
here is something very very weird to get a fever down fast, But I tried it and it works amazingly, my son had 104 fever, i gave him a beat up egg white with a little sugar in it, it brought his fever down 2 or 3 points immediatly! i did it for my dad too, it brought his down too.  wrapping cold towels could put them in shock, I think i would be very careful with that!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 12:10:01 PM »
here is something very very weird to get a fever down fast, But I tried it and it works amazingly, my son had 104 fever, i gave him a beat up egg white with a little sugar in it, it brought his fever down 2 or 3 points immediatly! i did it for my dad too, it brought his down too.  wrapping cold towels could put them in shock, I think i would be very careful with that!

meringue ??? who knew  8)  I have a recipe for orange julius which includes raw egg whites.  Do you think this would work too?  It would be a yummy treat for a fever.  Do they have to be raw or will pasteurized whites work?  I'm guessing raw eggs won't hurt you, but there's the "salmonela" thing that everyone says you can get from eating raw eggs.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 12:03:09 PM »
I know i am late on this post but i wanted to tell all those who replies thanks! my little girl has febrile seizures so the dr. just told me to keep her constantly monitored until the sickness is over. This means non stop doses of tylenol and  motrin (alternated) and quick cooling down to prevent the seizures. I worry about the amount she takes (she's almost 2) and then the quick cooling downs in the middle of the night especially results in her screaming and shivering which raises her temp. My son runs high fevers and for him i only give him tylenol when he is really uncomfortable and i want him to be able to rest. but m daughter-there is no rest. It's terrifying to see(the seizures) and i'm constantly monitoring her-she stopped breathing during her last one. I'm glad to read of other ways to help her (and us). The fever doesn't even have to go up high...her last biggie was at 99.1!! :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 03:43:25 PM »

I tried the egg whites.  I whipped up 4 egg whites and 1/5 c sugar (I think this was a little too sweet and will probably add less next time), and a teaspoon of vanilla.  I made too much but me and my teen happily ate the extras..mmmm.

I discovered that meringue on toast is a very yummy treat and it really did bring their fever down.  At the time baby's fever was climbing steadily and this stopped and reversed it.  He then took a nap and woke up with a much milder fever. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 04:09:31 PM »
I dont know if this is law or anything, but a woman told me a while back that raw eggs were bad for kids under five. ??? I guess her kids love eating cookie dough, and she said two of them have gotten salmonella from it -- doc said it was because they were under five. Like I said, I don't know -- just thought I'd throw it out there.
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »
I dont know if this is law or anything, but a woman told me a while back that raw eggs were bad for kids under five. ??? I guess her kids love eating cookie dough, and she said two of them have gotten salmonella from it -- doc said it was because they were under five. Like I said, I don't know -- just thought I'd throw it out there.

All the research I've read says that healthy guts can handle salmonella.  The GI flora, if intact and healthy, will eat the virus before it can even cause a problem.  My kids eat raw cookie dough all the time and cake batter too, mmmmmmmm...

My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 07:31:59 AM »
Raw cookie dough, is there any other kind??? ;) ;)  At our house my kids don't know chocolate cookie dough is supposed to be baked ......  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

It was good to read that about samonella.  I got a bunch of free cantalopes yesterday and had been hearing you had to wash them first because of samonella on the skins getting incorporated in the flesh when you cut them open.  The kids had already cut open a bunch, without washing, and I have been a little leary about eating them, we did, I just am a little concerned.  OOps, World Cup final is on, got to go, more about samonella later!

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 07:38:33 AM »
I AM REALLY LATE IN RESPONDING TO THIS AS AGAIN, WE JUST FOUND THIS SITE THIS MORNING, BUT HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED CATNIP FOR FEVER?  YOU CAN GET IT IN EXTRACT FORM  AS CATNIP AND FENNEL, THE SAME THING YOU GIVE FOR UPSET TUMMY FROM NSP. CATNIP IS SUPPOSED TO BE REALLY GOOD FOR FEVER. ANYBODY???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 07:51:42 AM »
CATNIP IS SUPPOSED TO BE REALLY GOOD FOR FEVER. ANYBODY???

Never tried it, but my kids like it, so maybe I will next time.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 06:30:29 PM »
While checking into using egg whites, I also found that you can soak socks in egg whites and put them on their feet.  This supposedly pulls the fever down to the feet away from the head and torso.  Never tried it, but thought I'd mention it.   ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 02:43:34 PM »
Is it always necessary to bring down a fever? I have always only given something for fever if it was making them really uncomfortable or causing them not to sleep.  I thought the fever was there to fight the "bug" or infection or whatever it is.  I have two sick boys today 7 and 10. We VERY RARELY get sick and I think I know why.  I am a total basket case thinking it is something horribly wrong.  I put Luke in a steamy bathroom with some vicks to breathe to ease his breathing and I went into check after just a short time and he went to sleep so when I went in and said Luke he didn't respond so I shook him a little and he still didn't so I shook him GOOD and then he woke up.  I'm a weenie.  Poor guy was just trying to get some rest.  :-[ I just feel helpless to make them feel better and I want to fix it NOW.  I'm sure you all feel the same.  Plus, they are missing the VBS program tonight.  :'( Oh, and if you give them like a garlick enema(don't think that's going to happen)and the fever is gone does that mean they are well?  I have been giving them fresh orally but we haven't seen improvement. In fact they have gotten worse as the day has worn on.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2006, 07:47:39 PM »
Fever is the body's defence mechanism against many invaders.  The microbes cannot live at the higher heat levels from the fever; however, whenever a fever is causing my little ones to mope, pant and be very lethargic, I tend to want to bring them down a bit to help them to rest better.
  My favorite herb book!!