Author Topic: Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures  (Read 192148 times)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
« on: March 29, 2006, 06:39:15 PM »
If Spirulina or Supermom isn't giving you the energy you need, I would ask the following questions:

A) How much are you taking? Enough? We recommend 3 grams of Spirulina daily. Taking more is not a problem. 3 grams is like a rounded to heaping teaspoon of Spirulina powder.

B) Are you taking Spirulina WITH a multi-vitamin? Because you may be deficient in another vitamin that isn't available in Spirulina alone. If you don't have a multi-vitamin, the best thing to take Spirulina with is a B complex supplement. Do some research to make sure your multi is a good vitamin supplement. For instance, NOT Centrum.

C) Do you have any Candidiasis symptoms? Many (I'd even venture to say MOST) Americans ingest too many toxins, yeasts, and antibiotics which allow the Candida albicans to over-populate their systems and bring about a lot of problems - see the article below.

One of the best ways to combat general GI candida is to try large doses of Acidophilus. Tummy Tune-up has acidophilus bifidus and 6 other natural bacteria, but a pure Acidophilus supplement is quite effective at targeting candida. If taking acidophilus seems to "work" for you, it's likely that you have candida and need to work on understanding it, and getting rid of it. If you do have candida, I'd recommend the Maker's Diet because of its focus on natural sources of caprilic acid and acidophilus through goat dairy products.

The following excerpt is taken from this page: http://www.liferesearchuniversal.com/candidiasis.html

"Candidiasis
( antibiotic poisoning page 1)
Candidiasis is basically a twentieth century disease, resulting from medical developments like antibiotics, birth control pills, ulcer medications, and estrogen replacement therapy (HRT). And it can be triggered at a very young age, when children are first being treated with antibiotics (ear and throat infections).
Although widespread, candidiasis, or yeast overgrowth, is generally overlooked by the medical establishment because it's symptoms so closely mimic those of other conditions. Alternative physicians, however, recognize the seriousness of candidiasis, and where conventional medicine has often been ineffective in treating candidiasis, various alternative methods offer much hope for success.

Everyone has candida, a form of yeast ( Candida Albicans ), normally confined to the lower bowels, vagina and the skin. In healthy individuals with strong, functioning immune systems, it is harmless and kept in check by "good" bacteria, called Bifidobacteria and Acidophilus. But if the balance of the intestinal environment is altered by a compromised immune system or other factors, then opportunistic candida proliferates, infecting other body tissues. The candida becomes pathyogenic, transforming from a simple yeast into an aggressive ( mycelial ) fungus that can severely compromise one's health. This condition is known as "candidiasis".

According to James Braley, MD, medical director of Immuno Labs, Inc., in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the fungal form of candida appears to permeate the gastro intestinal mucosal lining and breaks down barriers to the blood stream. " When the fungal form of the candida occurs in the body, allergic substances can penetrate into the blood more easily, where they form immense complexes, and even promote food allergy reactions, " Dr Braley says. Since their symptoms are often interrelated, he emphasizes that candidiasis should usually be treated together with food allergies.

Candidiasis can affect areas of the body far removed from candida colonizations in the gastro intestinal tract and vagina. It's symptoms cover a broad spectrum and the condition can cause a number of diseases ranging from allergies, vaginitis, and thrush ( that is a whitish fungus in the mouth or vagina ), to an invasion of the genital-urinary tract, eyes, liver, heart, or central nervous system. At it's most destructive, candidiasis is involved in autoimmune diseases such as; Addison's disease and Aids. Other symptoms of candidiasis, according to Dr Braley, include digestive problems such as bloating, cramping, gas and diarrhea, respiratory problems, coughing, wheezing, earaches, central nervous system imbalances, generalized fatigue, and loss of libido.

Symptoms of Candidiasis

There is a wide array of candidiasis symptoms depending on individual age, sex, environmental exposures, and immune systems. These include, but are not limited to:

Chronic fatigue, especially after eating
Depression
Gastro Intestinal problems such as: bloating, gas, intestinal cramps, chronic diarrhea, constipation, or heartburn
Rectal itching
Allergies ( including both food and airborn )
Severe pre-menstrual syndrome
Impotence
Memory loss, severe mood swings, and feeling mentally " disturbed ".
Recurrent fungal infections such as " jock itch ", athelete's foot, or ringworm
Extreme sensitivity to chemicals, perfumes, smoke, or other odors
Recurrent vaginal or urinary infections
Prostatitis
A feeling of being light headed or drunk after minimal wine, beer, or certain foods
These symptoms worsen in moldy places such as basements or in damp climates, and after eating or drinking yeast or foods containing sugar."

This is another good site for Candida info:

http://www.wholeapproach.com/symptoms.html
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
Re: Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 04:26:23 PM »
If you do have candida, I'd recommend the Maker's Diet because of its focus on natural sources of caprilic acid and acidophilus through goat dairy products.

Could you either post the Maker's Diet here or link me to where I could find it?
THANKS!

Julie
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 09:39:38 AM »
From my own personal experience and from all that I have read, acidophilus in conjuction with capryllic acid is highly effective in combatting yeast, and makiing the symptoms go away quickly. Doctors prescribe Nystatin for systemic yeast problems, and it is effective. But, taking a capryllic acid product, like Yeast Assassin, in conjuction with acidophilus, like Tummy Tuneup, and raw or aged, odorless garlic, is believed by some doctors to be more effective than Nystatin. (Probably cheaper overall too.)
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 11:44:45 AM »
Here is where you can buy the Maker's Diet book - which is pretty good, and easy to read. This approach is for more than just Candida, it is for any type of GI illness.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0425204138/102-5347994-3808955?v=glance&n=283155

Here is a Maker's Diet website with more info you can read. This site actually looks "hokey" to me, but the book really isn't. There is a recipe section on this site though, which, if you do nothing but follow their recipes and food guides, while taking Yeast Assassin and Tummy Tune-Up - I believe your family can become Candida-free and healthy. I've been trying to learn how to cook like this - permanently!

http://www.gprxstore.com/info_pages/index.cfm?fuseaction=all&parent_id=42

Speaking of cooking, there is a website which allows you to find organic farmers in your area in order to buy range-fed meats and dairy products:

http://eatwild.com/

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 11:51:17 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 06:05:28 PM »
Here is where you can buy the Maker's Diet book -
I went to the library today and everytime I go, I forget what books I want to look for.  I'm silly and never write them down and I have no memory left, but I asked the librarian for the section on natural healing and low and behold "The Maker's Diet" almost jumped off the shelf at me(okay a bit of an exaggeration)  :o, but there it was (maybe God is trying to tell me something  :-[), so I checked it out along with a few others for some cross-referencing.  I'm only through the first chapter, but it was difficult for me to even put it down to put the kids to bed and then post this entry.  I'm not even done with the book and I'm already convinced there is something to this.  (Look at me, the gullable one  ::)).  Anyway, Beka recommends it, I'm recommending it even for just a look a spritual perspective on health and well being.  My only problem is the expense that's going to follow.  Where oh where to find un-poisoned food that doesn't cost 5 times as much as the processed toxins we eat every day?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 05:40:10 PM »
My only problem is the expense that's going to follow.  Where oh where to find un-poisoned food that doesn't cost 5 times as much as the processed toxins we eat every day?

I'm with you on this one, HB.  When I read this book a year ago, my husband was so concerned when I asked about purchasing things organic. "It cost how much more? " Since I am his helpmeet and not his mommy ;D, I have to stop myself from trying to change what he has been doing for 30+ years and when the budget allows, I grab a few things here and there that we can negotiate.  He's even been open to the idea of purchasing 1/2 an organically raised cow if we split it with my sis and bro-in-law. :o :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 07:16:15 PM »
He's even been open to the idea of purchasing 1/2 an organically raised cow if we split it with my sis and bro-in-law. :o :)

Which half do you get?   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 02:54:36 AM »
Funny!!!! :D :D ;D
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline mmloper

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »
Wow! I am sure I have this Candiasis, or whatever it is called. I just started the Supermom on Wed, and I expected to be a little 'off' the first few days, but after reading that post I am sure I have that. Two years ago I did the Cleanse Smart organ and colon cleanse. I did not know to take probiotics while doing the cleanse and since I have wondered if I am full of nasty stuff again. For two years I have experienced many of those symptoms. Just recently, (past several months) my eyes are red across the center.
Do you think the yeast assasin and the tummy trouble will help? I am horrible at diets. I do have the Maker's Diet, but I have been trying to eat a vegetarian diet bc I cannot afford the organic meats right now. Since drinking only water I haven't used my sugar in a long time. But what else? And where do we buy the Yeast Assasin?
thanks for any advice,
marie

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 02:17:03 PM »
Do you think the yeast assasin and the tummy trouble will help? ...And where do we buy the Yeast Assasin?

Candida is the cause of a syndrome called leaky gut which can cause a plethera of problems.  Click here to read more.

I definately think those products will be good for you.  You can find them at beeyoutiful.com.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mmloper

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 02:31:37 PM »
thank you, I just ordered the tummy tune-up and the yeast assasin. Is this the same as a cleanse? if not, should I do one before I take the yeast assasin?
thanks, marie

Offline mommytimesfour

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 02:51:57 PM »
I just wanted to make a suggestion on buying good meat. I have to watch our budget also and grass feed organic beef can be pretty spendy. I buy it when it is on sale at the farmers market, but that is not often enough and can still cost a fortune. This last year I bought a 1/2 cow from the local university. They sell their mostly grass feed beef (they finish with grains). It is not raised with antibiotics or hormones. I have to buy in large Quantity, but the beef is cheeper than even the "yucky" stuff at the grocery store. Get on line and see if you local university has an agricultural dept. and sells beef. Also, the previous year I bought a 1/4 cow from some 4-H kids I knew. You can get a good cow that way also.

Hope that helps $$wise!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 03:53:19 PM »
thank you, I just ordered the tummy tune-up and the yeast assasin. Is this the same as a cleanse? if not, should I do one before I take the yeast assasin?
thanks, marie

The Master Cleanse is a juice fast devised to help cleanse the GI tract.  It could help eliminate candida, but it probably won't do it alone and it's not necessary in order to treat candida.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mmloper

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 04:12:57 AM »
Thank you all for the help. I will definitely look into buying a 1/4 of a cow. I am in Virginia, southeast, and I believe Virginia Tech has an agricultural department.
I had checked out a book at the library yesterday...something about prescription for healing. I read about this candida and now I know I have it. Probably for a very long time. yuck. at least I know now what it is...
anyway, thanks to all. marie

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 11:57:25 AM »
Back to the subject a little bit, my daughter and I have symptoms of candida. How can I start a change with her, she is 3 and would live on peanut butter sandwiches or biscuits if I would let her. She is happy with drinking water all the time. She's not big on trying any new foods. She doesn't like meat at all, other than the occasional piece of fish or chicken. (very rarely) I am willing to change my diet, but I am at a total loss of how to completely get rid of yeast from our diet. We like breads, pastas, and crackers. What kind of recipes or food dishes do you cook with to get rid of the yeast? I am really interested in this to see if we would feel better. We have some liquid acidopholus and I am going to get some garlic, what else would be a 'necessity' since our budget is very tight? Thanks.

Offline bjsparks1976

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 12:18:58 PM »
In the fall of 2002, my husband had surgery on his tonsils and soft palate as it was flapping off while sleeping and not allowing him to exhale.  In the spring of 2003, he began to develope sores, not canker sores, but sores in his throat and on his vocal cords.   These sores were disabilitating, made him horribly sick. The doctors were puzzled, we mentioned possible fungal problems, he treated with Nystatin--nothing.  A precious lady in our church gave us some Pau D'Arco, finally made some tea, wallah, sore retreated within two days.  Later that fall he began to experience bowel pain--horrible spasms, rectal itching that was overwhelming.  We thought the worst--cancer--had a colonoscopy done--again, nothing.  Then the sores returned, back to Pau D'Arco and both problems disappated.  Well, now here is the scenerio--back pain (possibly kidney), then rectal itch increases and if not hit hard with Pau D'Arco, the bowel problems begin raging with cold sweats and serious flu-like symptoms, and eventually the infamous sores.  Pau D'Arco is the main key to relief with oregano and rosemary oil mixed with good old'fashioned Bag Balm for the rectal problem.  We are looking forward to the Yeast Assasin as this has been a long haul.  When I read the doctor's list of symtoms, the mood swings, concentration, lack of memory were a slap in the face.  This has also been a major factor ... just didn't know that it might be included with all the other.

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »
My 4 yr old has sensory problems and refuses to eat about everything.  He mostly eats crackers, pasta, bread (wheat only), and fruit.  I keep him away from sugar, but he obviously has a yeast problem.  I know I cannot give him Yeast Assassin, and I heard Tummy Tune Up would help but not rid the whole problem.  I want to completely change his diet and get him off all that stuff he eats but don't want to make him sick or anything.  Any suggestions?  I thought about trying a wheat/gluten free diet to see if he gets better but that seems soooo hard and I don't even know where to start.  I just want him to get better!  :-[
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline mrschvaida

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2006, 09:21:40 AM »
I had a yeast problem as well and passed it on to my children. Lots of yeast infections, thrush, breakouts on skin, fungus, bedwetting, etc... 
I found this website through a friend and we started using it.  It has cleared up all of our problems, including bedwetting for my 6 yr old. I have no signs of yeast now.  I respond well to herbs, medicines and such and so I only ended using 2 boxes total.  It is different for each individual.  There is a saliva test to take (the website shows you how) to see if the problem is yeast in the first place. It is amazing how many areas of our body yeast can affect.  I hope this helps.

www.stopyeast.com

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 06:10:31 PM »
I like using coconut oil instead of butter.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 04:44:24 PM »
That all makes sense.  The most amazing thing just happened.  I went to the GFCF website and it started talking about how gluten and casein can be like a drug for kids on the autism spectrum.  So, they literally become addicted to mik and wheat products.  It hit me like a rock!  For so long my son's diet has been limited to wheat (crackers, cereal, pretzels, bagels, bread, etc.)  He CRAVES this stuff.  I could never figure out why he cries all day long about how hungry he is and seems to eat a TON of that stuff.  For example, he eats an entire package of graham crackers or two sandwiches or half a bag of pretzels.  Anyway, it totally makes sense now!!!!  He is addicted to the gluten.  The casein thing actually applies too even though he doesn't drink milk.  He eats yogurt all the time and cries when I tell him he can't have anymore.  THEN... another rock hit me!  It started talking about yeast problems due to eating all those wheat products and all the problems it can cause.  I am blown away.  It's like another huge piece of the puzzle has just been revealed.  I could just cry!  (over being happy and sad :-\)  So, I definently think we need to try this diet.  BUT, I'm wondering what the best way to rid his body of yeast is.  I've read Nystatin works well, but not sure how safe it is.  Also, does this mean he can't have any alternatives to sugar such as honey or brown rice syrup?  I know yeast feeds on sugar.  I'm also concerned about the withdrawal issues and I've read about how sick you can get when you detox from yeast, which is a sign that it worked but also a little scary.  Sorry to go on and on, I just can't believe all this information!
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 04:16:22 AM »
Sorry I can't really answer your yeast questions. I don't have any experience with yeast. Perhaps the others can help you out there, and I think the GFCF diet site has a way you can contact other GFCF moms with questions...

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 05:23:19 AM »
THEN... another rock hit me!  It started talking about yeast problems due to eating all those wheat products and all the problems it can cause.  I am blown away.  It's like another huge piece of the puzzle has just been revealed.  I could just cry!  (over being happy and sad :-\)  So, I definently think we need to try this diet.  BUT, I'm wondering what the best way to rid his body of yeast is.  I've read Nystatin works well, but not sure how safe it is. 

Abbilynn,
Yes, yeast is another potential issue - even after we did the GFCF diet for a year, the naturopath did a complete digestive stool analysis on my son and yeast was still a definite problem.  So he had the pharmacy compound a nystatin oral suspension for him to take.  Nystatin is relatively cheap and he said completely safe.  Seth is taking 100,000 mg, four times a day for at least a month at which point we re-check things.  The ND warned me about yeast kill off symptoms but so far there haven't been anything substantial.  Even so, it would be worth it as his latest allergy panel showed a dramatic improvement in his reaction to various foods and food groups and I feel like this is hopefully the last hurdle to climb.  I will keep him essentially GFCF, but at least now it won't be such a dire matter - if we are at someone's house or something I can relax a bit.

PTL! He is is showing you these things - I know how frusttrating it can be to go for years wondering and feeling like a failure as a mom and then to actually be able to help your child.  What a relief!
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 07:31:25 AM »
I know, it is frustrating.  I called another mom I know today - her son has autism.  I told her to definently check into the GFCF thing.  She was excited.  Do you have your son on a probiotic like Tummy Tune-Up or anything while he is on the Nystatin?  I don't want to overload his system but I've heard good things about TTU.  Seems like a good course of action would be to wean him onto a GFCF, treat the yeast problem with Nystatin, and keep him on a good multivitamin plus a good probiotic to build the good bacteria back up.  We have already cut back tremendously on the wheat products, but the GFCF website suggested weaning to lessen the side-effects.  It's so weird to think a child's system can get the same effect from gluten and casien if they're not breaking them down as a person can get from a drug!  He has shown some withdrawal, like irritability but that's an issue he always has.  By the way, it's probably stupid, but what does PTL stand for? ???

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 08:42:51 AM »
PTL stands for Praise the Lord.  :-)

And yes, he is on a probiotic - has been for a year+ now but the yeast was basically eating the good stuff and allowing the bad stuff to grow so even with the probiotic his system stayed imbalanced.  I am hoping the nystatin works to kill off the yeast so the good stuff can grow and he can get balanced out internally.  According to all his blood work and other tests it is the last main hurdle for us.

Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 09:01:08 AM »
My son is 3 and a half...can we try Yeast Assasin? I've been feeling more and more lately that I need to start purifying his diet by removing yeasty foods, sugar and dairy. Today I told him he couldn't have candy and he LUNGED at me, grabbed my neck and pinched as hard as he could. After I disciplined him I held him in my arms and asked him if he felt like he needed sugar all the time. He said yes. I told him there was something broken in his body that made him want bad food all the time and did he want Mommy to fix it? He cried "Fix it, fix it." I'm so terrified but I really see that there is something going on here. Scary...

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 09:01:33 AM »
abbilynn, your plan of action sounds good! And I would recomend a probiotic too...

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 09:20:36 AM »
KatieMac, they told me at beeyoutiful.com that kids cannot take Yeast Assassin.  They can take the Tummy Tune Up and that may help but not take care of the whole problem.  Symptoms of yeast problems include rashes on body that won't go away, craving sugaring food (but what kid doesn't, right?!), sinus problems, and hyyperactivity.  The child can show one or many of the symptoms.  There's a wesbite you can go to and take a test to see if your child may have yeast overgrowth.  When I remember what it was I'll let you know so you can check it out.

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 09:23:45 AM »
okay, the website is candidasupport.org and they have a test for you and a test for children.  You just answer yes or no to the questions and they add up your score for you.  I would definently check it out before doing anything.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:40:03 AM by healthybratt »

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 09:38:34 AM »
Ok, checking it out. I've got a friend whose son has Asberger's and she's got a lot of experience with this stuff...her observances and my own lead me to beleive my son has problems that can be cured mostly by diet. I'm so nervous and intimidated but I feel like I need to work on wheat, dairy, sugar, etc. Thanks for the link!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:43:51 AM by KatieMac »

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2006, 12:01:21 PM »
Just had a disappointing call with my son's doctor.  He says he has never known anyone to improve from the GFCF diet on the autism spectrum and highly doubts there is a yeast problem - therefore will not give me Nystatin.  Now what?  What else can I give him to take care of the yeast problem?  I don't believe him about the diet, I have read way too much info to believe it cannot help.  It's at least worth the effort!  Why are doctors like this?  It's soooo frustrating!  Ugh!  There's got to be a way to help him even if his doctor won't help the process...