Author Topic: Natural Treatments for Type 2 Diabetes  (Read 39739 times)

Offline happysprings5

• Learning
Natural Treatments for Type 2 Diabetes
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:28:27 PM »
I Just love this site! I wanted to ask all you smart folks about type 2 diabetes.......my hubby had some routine blood work done and his blood sugar was high (200) he has since gone to more healthy foods and water only to drink. He will not go to the Dr.....says what he does not know won't hurt him, although he bought a monitor and his blood sugar has gone down to around 130's most of the time (which I know is still a little high) Anyway......does anyone out there have (or know someone that has) diabetes and are keeping there "sugar levels" down from diet or any herbal remedy?? Thanks for any help in this matter. I want to do all I can to help him and avoid the Dr. too! Would a cleanse that I have read about on this site be safe for a diabetic ? Do you think type 2 diabetes can be curred or just controlled?
Wendy

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
Re: Natural Treatments for Type 2 Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 06:31:07 PM »
I just finished reading the Sugar Busters book (I got it from the library).  It was pretty helpful for explaining what sugar does to your system and how it relates to diabetes, etc.  The only thing I know of off-hand (besides avoiding sugar) is to eat a LOT of fiber.  Ground flax seeds seem to work really well for my grandma who has the same condition.

Offline happysprings5

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »
THANK YOU MrsDugger, I will check that book out from our library! Is your grandmother on any med's for her diabetes?

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:18:57 PM »
Also, I recently discovered that montmorancy tart cherries successfully raised natural insulin production by 50% in laboratory tests. To read more about cherries, check out this months calendar herb on the nogreaterjoy.org site under "calendar" and then "Cherries."
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:06:16 AM »
I know a lady that has cured herself of diabetes and gotten herself off of handfuls of prescription medications by making some diet changes and taking some herbs. I don't know if she wants her email flashed all over the internet so if you email me personally at babybeemakers@earthlink.net I will forward your email to her and I am sure that she would LOVE to help you. She is a very nice lady and got a job working at an all natural herb store after she fixed herself because she realized that herbs work and she knew she could help others.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:46:27 AM »
When I took my clinical nutrition course, I did my 10 page paper on the nutritional treatment of Type 2 Diabetes, and I think in many cases it can be cured. My only quandery is this: the dietary cure I studied was the low fat, vegan (vegan means eating and using no animal product at all) lifestyle, and that was before I read Nurishing Traditions (not that I've read it all yet  :o). I also remember one of the forum members with Type 1 saying the vegan diet helped her get her diabetes under better control, but that she is not strickly vegan anymore. So I am thinking it may be low quality fats that are the problem. ("Type 2 is not primarily a dietary sugar problem, but a dietary fat problem. When there is too much fat in the body, it decreases insulin sensitivity by coating the cells in a layer of fat so that the insulin cannot be recieved into the cells.")  I am curious enough that I am going to PM the person I mentioned and ask her her present take on the subject, as her husband works with diabetics as well.

Anyway, I do know blueberries help recuce blood sugar because they contain an isulin like substance. That makes them a good "dessert" choice. Green tea is also known to help stabalize blood sugar. I'll get back to you after I do some more research  :) Also, please post what you learn as well. There is lots of diabetes in my family.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:07:14 AM »
Diabetes runs in my family. I wouldn't use the term "cure" in reference to it. Rather diabetes can be reversed. Think of it in terms of obesity. You can lose weight and reverse the process, but you wouldn't necessarily say you had been cured of fat. If you went back to your old habits, the weight would return.

Generally, Type II Diabetes is a lifestyle related syndrome. I have watched loved ones deteriorate as they continued to eat the things that caused them harm. Basically, their cravings were so out of control that a date with a doughnut was more important than another day with their family. Depending on the person, not every diabetic can control blood sugar with dietary changes alone. However, changes in diet and lifestyle will determine how much, if any, insulin you will need.

Keeping a device to measure blood sugar is a great tool. I would purchase extra strips. Get DH to take a before and after (1 1/2 to 2 hours) reading when eating his favorite "forbidden" foods. This way, he can see for himself what is happening when he goes for processed carbs and/or sugars.

I would look for things that support the endocrine system, especially the pituitary gland and lymph nodes. However, if he does nothing, his condition WILL worsen. You cannot pretend diabetes away. High blood sugar is just one way your body has of signaling you there is a problem. This must be addressed, or it will be life threatening in a slow and painful way.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline happysprings5

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:41:17 AM »
Thank you all for the helpful advice! DH health is worth any change dietary or otherwise that we need to make to control his sugar w/ out meds (prayerfully)! He happens to love blueberries so maybe a smoothie w/ blueberries or cherries (thanks Rebekah) are in order! I will keep you up to date on our progress~ any other tips are always welcome my way!
Wendy

Offline edje4him

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »
That's interesting that you mention fat as being a major cause of high blood sugar for type 2 diabetes. I've never heard of that. I have type 2 and when I cut way back on carbs and eat a high protein diet - regardless of the fat content - my blood sugar consistantly goes to a normal level. However, I will say that even a high protein diet has not helped me lose the weight I need to lose. My body has a very hard time processing carbs too, because even whole wheat or grains send my sugar levels up.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 10:30:56 AM »
I would recommend reading Infectious Diabetes by Doug Kaufmann. You can get it at the library also and it has a diet in it also. 

Offline Pink Lady

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 10:36:13 AM »
Eliminating processed foods is the key, especially white flour and sugar. I have read that fenugreek (defatted seed only), glucomannan, gymnema sylvestre, chromium and vanadium are all helpful. I have also read that vinegar or lemon juice consumed with meals can lower blood sugar byas m uch as thirty percent. Adequate vitamin D is also important, since without it, your body cannot adequately use insulin. Research has shown that low levels of vitamin D in the blood are associated with high levels of insulin. (Eat Fat, Lose Fat, Sally Fallon and Dr. Mary Enig). Magnesium is involved in serveral facets of glucose metabolism, and there is consdierable evidence that diabetics need supplemental magnesium, since deficiency among them is common. The RDA is 350 milligrams a day, but diabetics may need twice this amount. It is largely absent in processed or refined foods. Zinc is involved in virtually all aspects of insulin metabolism: synthesis, secretion, and utilisation. Diabetics typically excrete exessive amounts of zinc in the urine. Supplementation has been shown to improve insulin levels in both types of diabetes(Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, Dr. Michael Murray and Dr. Joseph Pizzorno, page 422, footnoted).

The higher protein intake was effective because protein stimulates the pancreas to produce glucagon, the hormone that counteracts insulin and mobilises fat from storage. CLA (conjugated linoleic acid, found in grass-fed beef and free-range eggs) has been shown in animal studies to improve glucose tolerance. (The Fat Flush Plan, Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman, pp 32-35).
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amanda

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 02:18:08 PM »
I have actually witnessed more than a dozen type 2 diabetics reverse what they had completely.  My husband used to work at a wellness center where the focus was reversing diabetes.  I talked about this on another post --  Briefly, it was called NEWSTART, which stood for Nutrition, Exercise, Water, Sun, Temperance, Air, Rest, Trust.  All guests went through an 18 day program where they changed lifestyle.  They were on a completely vegan diet.  It was "whole plant foods eaten whole", so that even the oils you ate came in plant form (avocados, nuts, olives, etc).  They did eat soy in moderat amounts.   Everyday they went to classes to learn why they were doing these things and how it was helping them.  Also cooking classes.  I went through the program 2 times and I must admit that my health was never better than the year that I followed this lifestyle (I'm type 1, so I can't reverse it).  While I was attending the program, and later when I lived there with dh, I saw many people get off of lots of meds in just 18 days...and some completely reversed in that time (everything done under doctors and with lab work).  That's hard to believe, but it's true.  I don't really know why it worked so well.  I sometimes think that maybe it is an excellent method of turning your body around (like scrubbing your insides clean), and then once you reverse the diabetes, you should continue the lifestyle but  move into a diet more along the lines of the Makers Diet.   I don't know.  Anyway...I just wanted you to know that there is no doubt that type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed!   ;D
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 02:22:09 PM »
By the way, this is the NEWSTART website if you want to check it out:

http://www.newstart.com/

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 02:30:25 PM »

I cannot recommend enough the book The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Richard Bernstein.  This guy goes totally against the standard AMA idea of anything below 120 an hour after you eat is good.  He is a diabetic (type 1) himself and was dying by the time he was in his late 30's.  He is now in his 60's.  This book covers both type 1 and type 2 diabetes and is a must read for anyone who is trying to prevent or reverse diabetes.  Or for type 1's, just control it with much less insulin. 

The first and biggest thing that you have to get past is a low fat diet!!  It is the worst thing for anyone.  In fact, high cholesterol is a problem with diabetics and I lowered mine over 120 pts. in 6 weeks eating all the fat I wanted.  I keep my sugar around 96 nearly all the time.  The first few weeks I did his diet I checked my sugar like 6 times a day.  Now I hardly check it at all.  I can just tell where I'm at.  Read this book and read it again.  It will change your hubby's life. 

I am not diabetic but had severe pancreas damage when I was pregnant with my last baby which made me a gestational diabetic.  I'm doing my darndest right now to avoid diabetes and so far, so good.   :)

Blessings,

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 05:20:13 PM »
Do an Internet search on cinnamon and blood sugar/diabetes. Apparently cinnamon is very effective at lowering blood sugar and increasing insulin's effectiveness.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 05:52:44 AM »
Specific herbs may be added with liquid-kefir, and brewed towards maturation. Such procedures can be taken advantage of, in order to tailor-brew a specific kefir, intended for specific conditions. As an example, to relieve flatulence and to fortify gastric function, Caraway, Fennel and Anise seed and Cinnamon bark, can be ground to a powder, and added to fresh kefir, and then ripened at room temperature for 1 to 2 days, or longer. This form of kefir may be highly recommended for the prevention of, or to control Diabetes especially in Diabetes mellitus, due to the beneficial property of Cinnamon bark for Diabetics [23]. Another example is to ripen kefir for say 3 days either in the fridge, or at room temperature, with the addition of freshly bruised or pounded fresh Turmeric root, Ginger root, Corn silk, Olive leaf and Buchu leaf. This may assist in the prevention of, or as part treatment for cancer, to relieve prostate problems in men, Interstitial Cystitis in women including bladder infections in both sexes and gastric dysfunction.
from Dom's Kefir In-Site
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline karimccommon

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 06:44:30 AM »
God is so funny sometimes. :D  I just mentioned to heallthybratt in the kefir thread that I was trying the kefir on my diabetic and I went back to the homepage and noticed the question about diabetes.  I believe the diabetes is absolutely treatable and curable.  You're in a great place if he hasn't started any drugs yet.  I started my diabetic on 1000 mg of cinnamon twice a day two years ago.  The cinnamon and some dietary changes like avoiding processed sugar have been enough to totally control the diabetes and help him lose weight.  Just a week ago I started him on the kefir after reading the maker's diet.  I'm hoping this will heal the diabetes all together.  Already we are noticing a difference.  He is able to ingest sugar, small amounts without any effect.  He doesn't eat many sweets but he likes his occassional beer.  Yesterday he had two bottles and no effect like the headaches, dizziness, weakness usually accompanying a sugar intake.  I'm going to try the seasoning of the strained kefir with the cinnamon and I'll let you know what happens.  Just not sure how much to start with.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 08:28:55 AM »
I have been reading for quite some time, now on the benefits of coconut oil and healthy fats.  Without vitamin D you cannot properly use insulin which results in excess amounts of it to turn into the inability to properly metabolize it.  Many diabetics have been found to have very low vitamin D levels in their blood serum.
Suggesting to up your diet with healthy fats(to stabilize blood sugar) such as : coconut oil, whole raw milk and cheese and free-range meats and to take a cod-liver oil supplement for the Vitamin D.  Vitamin D will also be found in vast amounts in egg yolk and raw milks and cheeses.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2006, 06:02:18 PM »
Just not sure how much to start with.
Send Dom an email.  Check his page on how to contact him.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 06:18:13 PM »
I am a diabetic. i tend to get rather riled on this type of issue because of all the advise given.

you must  realize that EVERY diabetic is differant. what works for one may not work for another.
one diebetic can eat a slice of bread and not get a high sugar while another one can and their sugars soars high.

BUT i do know that ALL carbs WILL turn into sugar once in your body. actualy all food does that but carbs are the main  food group that do that.

therefor limiting your carb intake will greatly help lower those sugars. and when a diabetic has a low sugar they need to injest a carb to bring the sugar back up.

NOT all typs 2s have a limited production of insulin. if you research sydrome X and hyperinsulemia online you will find that a very large amount of type 2s make way to much insulin/ they make so much insulin that their body says " thats it im not gonna use this insulin anymore! im sick of it and i wont tolerate all this insulin anymore!"
at that point the body becomes insulin resistant which leads to type 2 diabetes.

i have found that taking  the supplement called CHROMIUM GTF works alot. according to research i have read  chromium is a mineral we all need anyways and type 2s are lacking in it.

movemet greatly helps. exersize or just plain hard work helps lower that insulin resistance which will help lower the blood sugars.

i am a rare diabetic. i was a type 2 with very strict tight blood sugar control by exersizing, taking chromuim and eating very low carb. i lost  alot of weight and became very healthy by doing those things. then i got pregnant. the pregnancy  greatly worsened my diabetes and further damaged my pancreas.

now the endocrinologist does not know how to handle me. im considered to be a double insulin resistant diabetic with no insulin production at all anymore. i was taking up to 10 shots of insulin a day because of it. now im on the insulin pump. diet, exersize and herbs no longer help me much anymore because of the damage the pregnancy did to me. thanks to God the baby was born healthy.

but please do what you can for your diabetes now because if it is not controlled it will get worse and worse until  nothing can be done. at least your husband dont have to worry about getting pregnant like i did , lol, so that wont affect his diabetes. lol

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 06:26:18 PM »
oh and i forgot to mention above this--->
 please all family and friends of diabetics please dont be a food natzi.
food natzis are loved ones who watch and judge every bite their diabetic loved takes in  and then comments on it and passes judgenment on them.
 diebtics can eat good food BUT only in small amounts. we can still enjoy an occcasional small bowel of ice cream.

i need a sign in my house that says " NO FOOD NATZI's ALLOWED!"

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 07:13:01 PM »
oh and i forgot to mention above this--->
 please all family and friends of diabetics please dont be a food natzi.
food natzis are loved ones who watch and judge every bite their diabetic loved takes in  and then comments on it and passes judgenment on them.
 diebtics can eat good food BUT only in small amounts. we can still enjoy an occcasional small bowel of ice cream.

i need a sign in my house that says " NO FOOD NATZI's ALLOWED!"

No, an occasional bowl of ice cream is NOT OKAY for a diabetic -- unless it is sugar free. I am the daughter of a diabetic. I watched my mother take care of her diabetic father. His refusal to admit that certain foods were off limit sentenced my mother to caring for a self-inflicted invalid. He was blind and an amputee, and that still didn't stop him.

Now, I'm watching my own mother make the same mistakes. I don't correct her. She is a grown woman. But I also know that at every event where cake, ice cream, and other sugar laden foods are offered, she will indulge. And with every bite, she is sentencing my children to less time with her as a healthy and vibrant grandmother. My babies won't know the delightful woman she was, because just one bite in "moderation" was more important than another moment of life and good health.

Enjoy that ice cream. :'(
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 02:17:37 AM »
be very careful of that sugar free ice cream. most( not all) sugar free ice cream ( and other so called sugar free foods) still has lots of carbs in it. sometimes it has more carbs or as much carbs as the normal ice cream. those carbs will raise the sugars even if the label says sugar free.

Offline jm3collum

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 02:57:17 AM »
I saw it mentioned - Cinnamon is great!! My dad has great success with it.  You can buy cinnamon tablets to take (walmart has some).  Also, he did a little experiment with coffee (caffeine) and found that it spiked his sugar level.  Every body is different but might be good to stay away from caffeine as well.
Michelle

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 03:04:54 AM »
From what I've read, the cinnamon is much more effective if taken with/in fat (like butter or coconut oil) because many of the components that make it work are fat soluble.

Here's an easy to understand article on sugar and what it does to our bodies http://www.celticseasalt.com/PDF/FNL05.pdf. The link should bring up a newsletter, so look for the article titled "Get Off The Blood Sugar Rollercoaster... And On The Slow Train Instead". I want to add that I do not endorse everything in this newsletter (it is a bit "new-agey" sometimes).

WR

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline LisaB

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 05:04:47 AM »
My husband has started taking the herbal supplement Eleotin. A Canadian firm makes it.
It is supposed to reverse the effect of Type II Diabetes. I'll have to let you know if it produces results. Eleotin is recommended by Kevin Trudeau and the doctors he recommends. Eleotin has an official website to look up for  info.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 06:25:35 AM »
My husband has started taking the herbal supplement Eleotin. A Canadian firm makes it.
It is supposed to reverse the effect of Type II Diabetes. I'll have to let you know if it produces results. Eleotin is recommended by Kevin Trudeau and the doctors he recommends. Eleotin has an official website to look up for  info.

Lisa...do you think you could pm me the list of ingredients in eleotin?  I can't find a complete list anywhere online.  I have been looking at a few things for diabetics, including diamaxol (which sounds horrible, but is another natural thing).  The ingredients in it sound pretty good. 

I found a site I really like that's pretty informative on diabetes and natural stuff here:

http://health.mysearchisover.com/diabetes.html

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »
  My dh. found out when he went to the nurtritionist that his blood sugar is high. She encouraged him to eat no carbs through the day except for one meal a day. He can have rice, potatoes, etc. What i'm wondering, what else can i give him besides just salads for lunch. He has access to a kitchen throughout the day, but keep in mind that he's not going to want to spend an hr. cooking. Any suggestions?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 01:31:51 PM »
low/no  carb foods are :

-most veggies ( but NOT corn, pumpkin, squash, peas, potatoes, yams becaus they are high in carbs)
-nuts and seeds
-meat
-eggs
-cheese

foods high in carbs are :

-anyting that taste good lol
-fruits
-breads
-rice
-pasta
-cereals
-milks ( ice cream, yogurt)
-junk foods
-fruit juice and any other juice
-pop
-corn, pumpkin, squash, peas, potatoes, yams
-flour both white and wheat
- all the sugars

and the so called sugar free food can be very tricky because a lot of them contain more carbs then the real food does.

exersize greatly helps lower the sugars for the type 2 ( not always true for the type 1 ).

ALL foods even if they are not a carb will get turned into sugar in our body to be used as fuel. but carbs are the main food group that really sugars us up. its hard to believe a slice if bread is nothing but a slice of sugar to a diabetic.

a lot of times I cut up  raw carrot and celery sticks and other veggies to eat for a meal.

sometimes a fullfilling meal for me that is low in carbs is a big chunk of cheese, raw veggies dipped in ranch dressing, a variety of nuts and seeds. its rather fullfilling but expensive.  and sometimes ill add some beef jerky to it.

milk is high in carbs but cheese is not, its the same with cottage cheese. cottage cheese is not real high in carbs but yogurt is high in carbs.

When I first became a diabetic I done that same diet plan where I ate next to no carbs all day and then ate a meal with 75 grams of carbs in it at night time. I lost weight fast and my sugars were good as the result of it.

I pray all works out good for your husbands diabeties and for you. :)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 02:24:31 PM »
    Thank you. What about dried beans? Cooked of course, i'm talking like bean soup, chicken and black beans, etc...........