Author Topic: How do you lanolize a wool diaper cover?  (Read 5808 times)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
How do you lanolize a wool diaper cover?
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:30:46 AM »
Sorry if this seems like a silly question.  I plan to cloth diaper for the first time with my 5th child when she is born in a few weeks.  I bought a wool "longie" online and it came with lanolizing instructions to make it water proof.  I tried to follow the instructions but don't think I got it right.  The instructions said that Lansinoh brand could be used dissolved in warm water and then soak the longies overnight.  It said to use a pea sized amount.  I did this - but I am wondering if the lansinoh was dissolved or not - that is really hard to do, it just kinda separates and floats.  Anyway, now the longies are hanging to dry and they feel like a big booger.  All kinda slimy/oily on the outside.  Will they be better when dry? 

Offline blackbird

• Adept
Re: How do you lanolize a wool diaper cover?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »
Here are some directions from an ebay article:

WHAT IS LANOLIZING?
This is a term you may see in ebay auctions for wool diaper covers: "freshly lanolized," or "needs lanolization" or something like that. What are they talking about?

For many people, using a lanolin-rich wool wash, like those mentioned above, is enough to maintain stability in the lanolin content of their diaper covers, and therefore the performance. Some, though, may find that their covers’ ability to act as a wetness barrier decreases over time and needs a boost. This is where lanolization comes in. Again, not so scary as it sounds; read on.

To lanolize a cover, basically all you need to do is dissolve some pure lanolin, like Lansinoh brand nipple ointment for nursing moms, in water and soak. Spin in washer and air dry as above.

Are you a "need-hand-holding" kind of person like me? Okay, here’s a little more detail on the process:

How much lanolin to use? If squeezing out of a tube, like Lansinoh, then squeeze a line of lanolin about ¼ inch long.

How to make it dissolve in the water evenly? Start with about a cup of hot water, either hot from your tap, or boiled and cooled slightly. The heat will help the lanolin soften up and dissolve. Then add that small amount of hot water/dissolved lanolin mixture to your sink/pan/bucket of lukewarm water. Adding a small squirt of your lanolin-rich wool wash in this step would also be helpful, as it will keep the pure lanolin from clumping and staining your cover.

How long to soak? About 20 minutes should do it. Spin it out in your washing machine, just like you would if you were washing the wool, and air dry.

to lay flat I put a baby gate accross the bathtub and set them on this to dry.  they may feel a bit greasy until  the lanolin gets worked into the wool real good, but at least you don't have to redo this all that often.  You might want to try turning the pants inside out before lanolizing as this way they will feel "greasiest" from the inside out and those little baby legs would be getting moisturized in the meantime.

I just use baby shampoo for washing...usually lots of that around.

Hope this helps!

Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »
Thanks!  From what I can tell, I must have used too much lanolin and water that wasn't hot enough.  I guess I will try it again... I only have the one pair so far, I wanted to see if I liked them or not before I bought more - they are pretty expensive! :)

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »
I have just started using wool diaper covers for dd.   So just learning myself!   ;)   The instructions that came with my first wool cover was to dissolve a pea size amount of  lanolin in some  warm water and then soak my wool cover for  20 min.  Then wrap the cover in a towel and press out as much water as possible.     My second cover I bought I was told I could just take a small amount of lanolin rub it on my hands and then rub it into the  cover.  I'm going to try  the second method the next time I need to  lanolize  again.    Diaper pin forum also has information  on using wool.

Hope you will like using wool for your baby.   It's totally amazing to me how dd can have a very wet diaper in the morning and the wool cover might feel only a little damp inside!  :o
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
Jessicah gave me directions on wool washing and care (not lanolizing) but thought it might be helpful anyway. 

I didn’t think to tell you that wool has special washing instructions. Here are some that I copied and pasted:

Wool Wash & Care

Wool only has to be washed once every 2 or 3 weeks unless of course it gets soiled. Wool has a self cleaning property in it called lanolin. If your wool feels damp or wet after wearing it, simply lay it out flat to air out and let the wool do its job of self cleaning. When the lanolin properties get too low, its time to lanolize them. Lanolizing only needs to be done every 2 or 3 months depending on how often it’s washed. The instructions below will help you care for your wool, for washing only, omit the lanolin step.

Here are the steps to caring for your wool:

1. Run your hot water until its good and HOT in the bathroom sink, allowing it to drain, once its hot turn it off for a few seconds to do step 2.

2. Put the plug in your bathroom sink and put your lanolin in the bottom of the sink, I use about a 1/2-1 inch glob of the lanolin.

3. Run a little hot water in the sink and add baby shampoo or baby wash to the water (wool wash may be used too). Only run enough hot water in the sink to break up the lanolin.

4. Run room temp water to fill the rest of the sink up.

5. Turn your wool wrong side out and submerge into the mixture in the sink and let soak 30 minutes (longer if you feel it needs more lanolizing).

6. After you're done soaking, lay a towel folded in half for you to lay your wool on; take the wool out of the water and gently squeeze the excess water out, do not ring.

7. Lay your wool on the towel and roll the towel up with the wool inside, gently squeeze as your rolling.

8. Lay flat to dry, I like laying them on one of those sweater racks. They take 24 hours sometimes to dry.

In a pinch you can use baby soap or shampoo, but not any containing conditioners. If you need help finding a site that sells a wool wash, let me know. I feel awful not asking you ahead of time if you knew about the care of wool. It may seem confusing or complicated but it really is simple once you do it.  I don’t hardly ever have to wash.  And I have machined washed before too and all was fine- but I still used the wool wash.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:22:34 PM by Yooper »

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:16:40 PM »
I didnt read through all the replies, but here is what I do to lanolize:

I put a smidget amount of lanonin in a small (6 or 8 oz)  container with hot water. I shook it up really well, stirred,shook more,etc. Then I added that water to my lukewarm water the wool wash soap. (I use a liquid wool wash but there are wool war bars you can buy,too)  I think I soaked the garments about 20 minutes.

Basically, you follow wool washing instruction, but ADD the lanolin to the water before hand. I mix it with hot water in a small container b/c this makes it dissolve better.

After you lanolize your wool, it may feel a little sticky. But it will eventually absorb completely into the wool over time.

And you should only have to lanolize every now and then when you wash- not every time.

Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 05:18:54 PM »
So, the boogery feeling is ok? Maybe I don't need to do it again?  It also doesn't smell that great - but as long as it'll be ok for baby  - that's all I care about...