Author Topic: MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)  (Read 32997 times)

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
Re: MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 05:44:48 PM »
Does anyone know of the risks associated with it?  I am always pregnant/nursing, but it sounds pretty good.  Even if I can't take it I may look into it for my husband.....
And depending on the responses to teh previous post, I may look into it for my kids too.   ;)        ~L

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane)
MSM is a form of organic sulfur and has a wide range of health benefits when taken as a supplement. It is important for liver function as many liver detoxification pathways depend upon sulfur based enzymes. MSM also has the ability to reduce inflammation, this makes it important in environmental illnesses where there is often inflammation of the GI tract and liver due to gut dysbiosis and leaky gut syndrome. Also of importance is the fact that if sufficient MSM is available in the body it forms a protective barrier over mucus membranes. In this way it prevents allergic reactions by trapping allergens such as pollen in the respiratory tract and poorly digested food particles in the intestines. One study using 2600mg of MSM per day found it to be very effective in reducing the symptoms of allergic rhinitis (hayfever) and also commented on its lack of any side effects22. The protective barrier formed by MSM could also potentially inhibit the growth of pathogens such as candida and parasites in the gut.

http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment-options/treatment-information/antioxidants-and-liver-supplements/

MSM and The Mucous System's Role.

The mucous system in our nasal passages flushes bacteria and viral particles into our stomach where the HCl Acid should kill them. Any that get through to a normal gut should eventually be excreted. Of course a Leaky Gut will let them into the bloodstream.

Research has shown that, when available to it in sufficient levels, MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane appears to coat all the mucus membranes of the body, creating a shield through which:

* Air-borne allergy-causing contaminants such as household dust (mite faeces), pollens etc. can be shielded from entering the tissue of the lungs and nasal passages, thus reducing the affects of hay fever and asthma.
    * Industrial contaminants such as exhaust gasses, solvents etc. are also hindered.
    * Parasites, such as Cryptosporidium, giardia, salmonella, even hookworm can be dissuaded from entering the walls of the stomach and intestines. This coating can also provide a hostile living environment for parasites.
    * Provide a shield to prevent the roots of the candida yeast culture from penetrating the intestine wall, thus reducing the severity of this disease.
    * Undigested food and toxins are deterred from entering the blood stream through a leaky gut thus reducing one of the most common causes of allergies and auto-immune diseases. Given time, MSM will start to repair the damage causing the gut to leak.

People with high blood pressure need to be careful of MSM and should consult their health professional before taking it.
http://www.lovelyhealth.com/Leaky_Gut_Syndrome.htm#The%20Mucous%20Systems%20Role.

Research has shown that, when available to it in sufficient levels, MSM appears to coat all the mucus membranes of the body, creating a shield through which:

Air-borne allergy-causing contaminants such as household dust (mite feces), pollens etc. can be shielded from entering the tissue of the lungs and nasal passages, thus reducing the affects of hayfever and asthma.

Industrial contaminants such as exhaust gasses, solvents etc. are also hindered.

Parasites, such as Cryptosporidium, giardia, salmonella, even hookworm can be dissuaded from entering the walls of the stomach and intestines. This coating can also provide a hostile living environment for these unwanted low-life!

Provide a shield to prevent the roots of the candida yeast culture from penetrating the intestine wall, thus reducing the severity of this disease.

Undigested food and toxins are deterred from entering the blood stream through a "Leaky Gut" - thus reducing one of the most common causes of allergies and auto-immune diseases. Given time, MSM will start to repair the damage causing the gut to leak. For more serious cases, you may need IntestiNEW
http://www.hbcprotocols.com/msmstory.html

My favorite herb book!!

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »
I bought MSM powder. The dose is 1/2 tsp - how much should I give a 28lb 3yo? We are using it for his eczema and leaky gut.  What can I put the powder in - applesauce or juice?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:57:07 PM by firecattx »

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
I was just seeing that Trimedica offers MSM toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and chapstick as well as the MSM powder. Have any of you tried these products and what did you think? TIA!

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:55 PM »
I was just seeing that Trimedica offers MSM toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and chapstick as well as the MSM powder. Have any of you tried these products and what did you think? TIA!

Not sure what the point of other products with MSM would be- my FAD meter is somewhat pegged when it comes to that.  Not sure what the topical benefits to MSM would be- I had understood that  DMSO (search for the other thread on it) is the topical version of MSM.  I tend to be a lifehacker, and search for the most effective and efficient means of doing things- and taking MSM powder to me seems pretty efficient, especially bought in bulk.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 02:43:02 PM »
Does MSM break down over time, and become less nutritious?  I'm asking because I bought some in bulk, and the first two days, I drank it in some juice, and it was terrible.  Today I drank it in some salt water, and it barely tasted bad at all.  So did it decompose or something? ???

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »
Im not aware that it decomposes at such a noticeable rate, rather it is likely just the medium you put the MSM in.  It has a slightly bitter taste, so it makes sense that it is more noticeable in juice.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »
Maybe I'll try it in juice again and see what it tastes like.  I'm glad to know it doesn't have to taste that way.  It was worse than epsom salts!

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2010, 12:44:46 PM »
Is this naturally occuring in high amounts in any food? I want to do more research before possibly buying any, but it sounds like great stuff. Someone had mentioned molasses I think. I have lots of blackstrap molassas!

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
After reading the manufacturing process for the MSM sold at www.bulkmsm.com I would not buy it. So I am now looking for high sources of naturally occuring MSM. Also I am allergic to sulfa drugs...

Edit:
I found this website, it has some very interesting information on foods which naturally have high levels of MSM.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_4_8/ai_111303985/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:06:30 PM by HappyWifey »