Author Topic: Skin Brushing  (Read 103908 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Skin Brushing
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:48:21 PM »
I've added skin brushing to my daily routine within the last month or so. I have a mix of emotions between delight with the results  ;D and annoyance that I didn't know about it before  >:(.

I use a vegetable bristled brush with a long handle and move over the entire body (except the face) with the dry brush. I move from the extremeties towards the belly button. This is so that the lymph nodes can empty themselves in the colon where the waste material will be expelled. I also use a gentle stroke in one direction -- not a circular or massaging action.

I now have noticeably less cellulite, and my skin is more toned and baby smooth without lotion. Very seldom do I have acne outbreaks and none on my back. I've also noticed that hair in unwanted areas has become less thick, more fine and soft.

This takes less than 5 minutes and is a tremendous energy boost. I do it twice a day, but more often if needed.

I also believe that the lymphatic cleansing has greatly increased my immune system and helped me fend off inflammation and bruises.

So, what have the rest of you found? What techniques do you use and why?

I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Skin Brushing
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 05:26:54 PM »
Um...I'm doing good if I remember to brush my hair and my teeth.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 05:42:45 PM »

There are days when I'm doing good to remember that underwear goes on first, but they are fewer now when I wake up with a good brushing  :o ;D

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
My mother-in-law has started doing this, also.  She's been really pleased with the results.  She says her skin is softer and she feels better.  Sounds like she uses basically the same technique as SC, but I don't think she uses a long-handled brush.  It's something I'd also like to try.  SC, where did you get your brush?

Sarah

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 04:12:31 AM »
Yes, that's all there is to it. I got my brush from the local health food store for a little less than $8. It has to have vegetable bristles to keep from scratching your skin. It has a long handle so that you can reach your back. I've been wondering about the stretch marks myself. They SEEM better, but I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure if I was observing an improvement from the brushing or not, also, it could be because the cellulite is diminishing.

As far as what I do otherwise: I look for ways to support my liver and promote healthy bacteria in my colon. I drink beet kvass (about 3x week), kefir, kombucha tea and about 3/4 gallon filtered water daily with 1 tsp sea salt added (per gallon). In addition, I drink a herbal laxative tea each night. Upon rising, I down 1 quart of filtered water with 2 tsp sea salt to flush my colon. My waters are drank at room temperature.

These are things I have gradually worked into my daily routine. Making sure I'm hydrated, helps my body rid itself of toxins. These things I was doing before I started skin brushing. I've noticed the changes I mentioned since beginning brushing. It's like it kicked things into high gear. That's why I posted.

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 06:43:56 AM »
If a dry sponge is as benifical they are cheaper like $2-3.
Does it have to be a brush or can it be a sponge or bath scrubby?
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 06:59:44 AM »
Because you are trying to stimulate the lymphatic system, it is my understanding that the pressure from a rough sponge or other flat stimulant wouldn't be the same. The individual points of the brush both rid you of dead skin cells and help the lymphatic system clear itself of any congestion. Think of how you brush your pet, and you'll get an idea of the motion used. It's like a sweeping action, not rubbing, scrubbing or going in circles.

Are there any veterans out there with comments?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:15:06 AM »
Do you brush under your arms?  Would this help with a clogged lymph node under there?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 08:52:11 AM »
Do you brush under your arms?  Would this help with a clogged lymph node under there?

Yes, I make sure to get there and on my throat to help stimulate the thyroid. If I had a clogged lymph node, I would also use a plantain poultice between brushings to help draw out and drain the area. If you don't have plantain on hand, a warm, moist compress would help.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 09:08:26 AM »

Yes, I make sure to get there and on my throat to help stimulate the thyroid. If I had a clogged lymph node, I would also use a plantain poultice between brushings to help draw out and drain the area. If you don't have plantain on hand, a warm, moist compress would help.

I just bought some of this.  Do you really think this would help?  She's had the knot for over a year.  I put her on chlorophyl, but she didn't get any relief after a week so she gave up. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 09:33:55 AM »
SC, who's house are you at this week do I get you next?
I need lots of your wisdom.
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 09:48:34 AM »
SC, who's house are you at this week do I get you next?
I need lots of your wisdom.

I'm not giving her up once she gets here, so don't hold your breath.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 10:01:20 AM »
I just bought some of this.  Do you really think this would help?  She's had the knot for over a year.  I put her on chlorophyl, but she didn't get any relief after a week so she gave up. 

The plantain would be a topical application to the area that is causing discomfort. Plantain helps to draw out impurities, deal with inflammation and can stop pain. I saw it calm a screaming baby with a mouth injury in less than 3 minutes.

In areas that have been congested for such a long time, I would be sure to do the brushing carefully so as not to cause additional discomfort. This will help to break up the congestion and clear it from the lymph node. The matter that is clogging the node will take a little work, but persistence pays off in the long run. Until that stuff gets out of there, I would expect it to cause recurrent inflammation.

Brushing is a gentle stimulation that becomes part of your daily routine. It should help the entire system support those areas that have become clogged.

Regarding my "touring schedule" {HA!}, DH has a little time off coming his way. I come equipped with two energetic boys, DH and pampered dog (shhhhhh, she doesn't KNOW she's a D.O.G. ::)). Actually, she can stay home, but air fare is out, so it will have to be driving distance -- that is, if we can get a loan for the gas. *snicker* ;D ;D ;D

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 10:21:24 AM »

LOL, You're my kind of gal!  ;)

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 10:52:51 AM »
Thats OK I'm ready for a trip I'll just come to you. :D ;D ???
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 11:07:27 AM »
Regarding my "touring schedule" {HA!}, DH has a little time off coming his way. I come equipped with two energetic boys, DH and pampered dog (shhhhhh, she doesn't KNOW she's a D.O.G. ::)). Actually, she can stay home, but air fare is out, so it will have to be driving distance -- that is, if we can get a loan for the gas. *snicker* ;D ;D ;D

Do we get T-shirts?  HAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 11:23:16 AM »

Yes, how else could we find each other in a crowd?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 11:30:13 AM »

Yes, how else could we find each other in a crowd?

I have my ways.   ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 10:42:37 AM »
I mentioned this brushing thing to hubby.  I was prepared for another "man, my wife is looney" looks that I sometimes get with new ideas and he said "insert flirtation here" and then told me to get one.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2006, 10:54:46 AM »
Yes, brush first followed by shower/bathing and I recommend soap.  :D
You are washing away dead debris that has been moved by the brush. If I were concerned about what my skin was absorbing, I would look at the ingredients in the soap and/or the water source. Usually, a good rinse with about 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon water will make sure that all residue is gone.

But to review, use something similar to the FIRST picture -- NOT the second LOL!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
Actually......mine does have bristles like the second but I bought it at the health and beauty section of my heatlhfood store and it had a skin brusing tag on it..........so that's what I bought.   ::) :P
I am assuming I will still brush off the old dead skin........ :)

The first photo has vegetable bristles. It's just not a very good picture. The second photo is of a kitchen sink brush. It's scale is much smaller.

I had to laugh, though, just thinking of someone going into the kitchen and picking up the vegetable scrubber after reading all of this and thinking, "I wonder . . . .?"
 :D :D :D

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 06:08:02 PM »
I had to laugh, though, just thinking of someone going into the kitchen and picking up the vegetable scrubber after reading all of this and thinking, "I wonder . . . .?"
 :D :D :D

Well, laugh away, I was about to jump up to go look if I had one under my kitchen sink (which I think i do), then I read you were laughing at me. 
So you don't think it will work?  >:(  Rats.     :D

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 02:40:52 PM »
Additional information on this technique is found in a booklet called The Colon Health Handbook by Robert Gray. I don't agree with all of his dietary suggestions and conclusions, however, I like to keep a variety of reference materials on hand.

Gray says that brushing helps excess mucoid material drain from the lymphatic system which may have been congested. This technique seems to stimulate the expulsion of the thickened (or hardened) waste material from the lymph system. It also helps to correct lymph inflammations. After a colon cleanse, the daily brushing has to be done a few months to completely cleanse the lymphatic system. He discusses the improvement in body tone stating that five minutes worth of brushing is equal in worth (for tone) as 30 minutes of vigorous physical exercise. He said that if you have a lot of buildup of mucoid matter in the lymph nodes you might notice it in your stool as something the texture (but not necessarily the color) of petroleum jelly.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 05:35:14 PM »
I have a good report on this topic!

I have ligament problems similiar - but not as severe as - Marfan's syndrome, due to to hereditary ligament problems and an accident that ripped the ligaments in my right shoulder, hip, knee, and wrist about 10 years ago. During pregnancy the problems intensify, and I struggle with dislocations and muscle pain.

After about a week of brushing, the muscle pain has decreased a LOT. SC also PM'd me a great joint/muscle/ligament broth recipe that I'm going to start taking for the joint problems.

Also, after the brushing, feeling has begun to return to certain areas of my back that had lost sensitivity. I also "brush" the glands of my face with a washcloth, and have noticed a refreshed, energetic feeling in my face. Now I need a smiley that smiles with spastic enthusiam!!!

So, I think skin brushing may help reduce muscle pain, probably because it helps detox.

I still haven't found a brush, and am just using a wash cloth.

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »
I'm actually pretty intrigued, but I'm also very lazy when it comes to personal vanity/hygiene.  I have to drag myself into the shower at night.  I comb my hair and brush my teeth and call it good.  I like my eyebrows tweezed for looks, but I get so lazy, my eyebrows start to look like little wooly sheep over my eyes.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2006, 06:39:14 PM »
I'm actually pretty intrigued, but I'm also very lazy when it comes to personal vanity/hygiene.  I have to drag myself into the shower at night.  I comb my hair and brush my teeth and call it good.  I like my eyebrows tweezed for looks, but I get so lazy, my eyebrows start to look like little wooly sheep over my eyes.   ::)
For laziness, I would recommend using the handle of the brush  :o ::) :-*

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2006, 04:25:24 AM »
SC also PM'd me a great joint/muscle/ligament broth recipe that I'm going to start taking for the joint problems.

Horale, Bekah - maybe you are Marf kin!  ;) And then could I get that discount for NONsense? :P

If y'all don't mind - I'm wondering about this recipe. My guy has Marfan's, and I'm interested in anything that could help with connective tissue. Especially if it's something the kids might be able to have??
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2006, 05:36:24 AM »
Here is some more info I found on the topic.  Hope it helps!  I haven't started yet, but I am starting to get motivated.  ;D

DRY SKIN BRUSHING

It is WELL known that the Skin is the LARGEST Organ in the Body, and is responsible for one-fourth of the Body's Detoxification each day, also making it, one of the most IMPORTANT Elimination Organs! The Skin is also known as the "3rd" Kidneys and the Lungs are known as the "2nd" Kidneys. TOXICITY can gather beneath the Skin's Surface from such COMMON Influences such as IMPROPER pH levels in Body Soaps, Skin Creams and Anti-Perspirants, plus Synthetic Fibers worn NEXT to the Skin with ANY of them contributing to a variety of Skin Problems and Conditions.

When you do Skin Brushing, you HELP your Lymph System to CLEAN itself of the TOXINS, that COLLECT in the Lymph Glands. You use a Simple Technique to IMPROVE the Surface Circulation on the Skin and KEEP the Pores of the Skin OPEN, encouraging your Body's Discharge of Metabolic Wastes, and resulting in an IMPROVED ability to COMBAT Bacteria, plus HELPING your Skin to look and feel HEALTHIER and MORE RESILIENT! Skin Brushing is a PERFECT Treatment for SELF-HELP Enthusiasts.

Benefits:

TIGHTENS Skin.

HELPS Digestion.

REMOVES Cellulite.

STIMULATES Circulation.

INCREASES Cell Renewal.

CLEANS Lymphatic System.

REMOVES Dead Skin Layers.

STRENGTHENS Immune System.

IMPROVES Exchange between Cells.

STIMULATES the Glands, thus helping ALL of the
Body Systems to perform at PEAK EFFICIENCY!

How To Do:

Buy a NATURAL, NOT Synthetic, Bristle Brush, since it does NOT SCRATCH the Surface of the Skin.

Buy a Brush with a LONG Handle, so that you're ABLE to get to the Areas of your Body, that are NOT EASY to reach, when doing your own Skin Brushing.

Skin Brush, before Showering or Bathing, at least ONCE per day, and TWICE, if possible.
Do NOT wet Skin, since it will NOT have the SAME Effect, because this stretches the Skin.

ALWAYS Skin Brush towards the Heart.

Do Circular Counter-Clockwise Strokes on the Abdomen.

Do LIGHTER Strokes over and around Breasts, but do NOT Brush the Nipples.

Brush each part of the Body several times VIGOROUSLY, COMPLETELY Brushing the WHOLE Body.

Brush the Soles of the Feet FIRST, because the Nerve Endings there affect the WHOLE Body, next Brush the Ankles, Calves, and Thighs, then Brush across your Stomach and Buttocks and lastly Brush your Hands to the Arms.

Take a WARM Bath or Shower, which should always be followed by a COOL Rinse at the end to INVIGORATE Blood Circulation and STIMULATE Surface Warmth.

Wash your Brush every few Weeks in Water and let it DRY.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2006, 06:03:57 AM »
I think you found the same instructions I did :)  Although SC said she brushes towards the belly button and straight strokes not circular.  I wonder if it makes much difference.  I alternate so I am sure to do it right atleast every other time.   :D

I was wondering about the same thing!  Everything that I am reading says straight strokes on limbs and and circular strokes on stomach and chest.  Any imput?  And what about your back? Also, it says go towards your heart, not bellybutton.  That wouldn't change what you do on your limbs, but it would change directions on your torso.  If I'm gonna do this, I want to get the most benefit possible!