Author Topic: Goat's Milk & Infants: When, Why & How  (Read 90032 times)

Offline thughey

• Wide Eyed
Goat's Milk & Infants: When, Why & How
« on: August 02, 2006, 06:37:21 AM »
Hello all,new to the forum here and I have a question.  My wife and I have an 8th month old little girl, and we have a question about feeding her goats milk.  My wife is breastfeeding as well as feeding solid food but somehow her production dropped way off in the last week or so.  We have used goats milk before when friends watched the baby, so my wife went to get some today.  We have heard of people mixing carrot juice with the milk to feed to the baby and we're wondering if that is better than just straight goats milk and why?  Anyone have any thoughts?  Also any tips on how to increase milk production for my wife?  She pumped last night and only got about 1/2 an ounce.  Our thoughts are more water and to pump more regularly to try to get her production up.  Thanks for any help on this.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Re: Goat's Milk & Infants: When, Why & How
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 06:50:48 AM »
I started my daughter on goats milk when she was 6-7 months old.  My milk supply disappeared suddenly (I was 4 months pregnant).  From all I studied, you should dilute the milk and add either carrot juice or molassas.  I diluted about 1 part water to two parts milk.  You would use just a small amount of molassas  (maybe 1 teaspoon to 8 oz) or just a little pour of juice.  The reason is that straight goats milk it too much on their little digestive system.  It will constipate them.  And it is also richer than breast milk.

As for milk production, your two ideas are some of the best!!!  Add to that, "Mothers Milk Tea."  There is another thread about that "dehydration and breastfeeding."  You could order some from The Bulk Herb Store, but if you are in hurry, get some from Traditional Meditionals at any health food store

As for pumping, your wife should pump after every single feeding to give some added stimulation, and maybe even during the night.  Don't give that milk to you daughter before/in place of nursing, It will only cause her to suck less, and reduce the milk supply even farther.  Give it to her after nursing, if she needs more.

I have lots experience with pumping with one daughter born without the sucking/rooting reflex (took 4 months to learrn to nurse), and another preemie who had my milk by tube.  Feel free to ask any other questions!  (I probably won't be able to answer until tomorrow, because we are leaving)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 07:15:51 AM »
My wife is breastfeeding as well as feeding solid food but somehow her production dropped way off in the last week or so.
Check the Decreased Milk Supply Thread.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 08:48:37 AM »
Hi!

I would bet with a little "work", your wife's milk will come right back up.   ;)  I never had any luck with "pumping" - In fact, I had less milk when I tried that route...  However, by our third baby, I was a "pro" and breastfed over two years. 

Milk production works on a "supply & demand" basis.   :D  The more often your daughter is allowed to nurse, even if it is only a little bit, the more your wife's body will reset and increase in milk production.  Also, with the summer weather and your daughters increased solid food intake, your wife's body is just trying to regulate, so is shutting off a bit too much...  I would definitely recommend drinking more water, tea, juice etc, and let the baby nurse more often.
At this age, momma's milk is still best, but if you go with goat milk, I, personally, would not dilute or add things to it.  We never noticed any constipation with our children (or us, for that matter  :D) when we used goat's milk (raw goat milk).  Maybe pasteurized would be different?? 

I remember my aunt mentioned a bit of Karo syrup would "loosen" things up a bit if a baby got constipated, but I would just concentrate on giving her foods with a little natural fiber versus something sweet like that.

8 months old and still breastfeeding!!  GREAT JOB!
 ;D
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 09:18:07 AM »
Hi,
Just noticed your question and thought I'd throw in my experience. My son was six months when I lost my milk supply due to another pregnancy. We gave him pastuerized storebought goats milk( andthen formula) at first and it was awful!! He had tummy ache and gas that kept him and us from sleeping. So we just bought a goat and gave it to him raw and undiluted. At the same time we started offering him water in a cup. He never was constipated and the bellyache disappeared. Soon after we added a few veggies and fruits so I never supplemented with any vitamins or juice added to it.
A friend used goats milk starting with her two month old and had to dilute it one part water to two parts milk to keep her baby from being constipated. I think she also gave her a small amount of apple juice every day.

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:03:09 AM »

Offline hermamaj

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 11:00:42 PM »
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032401.asp
Homemade goats milk formula.
I was unable to nurse with my first two. My first daughter I was able to give raw goats milk and I never diluted it. with my second I didn't have that opportunity so did the formula that they have on this site and she also did very well..
while my three year old was praying the other night she said "Jesus, you are the only stranger I love"

Offline thughey

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 05:47:05 AM »
Thanks for all the help folks.  We discovered that the baby didn't like goats milk, even with carrot juice, or Caro syrup mixed in, she wouldn't drink it at all.  Fortunately my wife found some tea at a herb store, and is now producing enough milk to keep Hannah happy.  Thanks to you all.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 07:10:29 AM »
Thanks for all the help folks.  We discovered that the baby didn't like goats milk, even with carrot juice, or Caro syrup mixed in, she wouldn't drink it at all.  Fortunately my wife found some tea at a herb store, and is now producing enough milk to keep Hannah happy.  Thanks to you all.

Wonderful!!  This is your best option!!! Congratulations!!!

Offline EyesOfTheBeholder

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 09:27:38 AM »
I just wanted to tell my experience with raw goats milk (straight from the goat)... our family uses it all the time. We started when I got pregnant the third time. The second child was only 11months old. I was 2-3 months pregnant.

I read Ted and Sharon Broer's information. He has an excellent home made goat milk formula. You put molasses, folic acid, vit E, powered vit C., cod liver oil and flaxseed oil.
Sharon Broer wrote a wonderful book called Train up a child in the way he should eat. check out their website http://www.healthmasters.com/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HMDTB&Product_Code=1003&Category_Code=B

I still breast feed our third child who is almost 2 now. We use goat milk for everything. Our second son still loves goats milk. We drive to PA to get it. I live in WV. It is illegal to sell raw goats milk in most states.
We have never experienced ANY consitipation from the milk. My boys go alot all the time :D

My children have been very healthy... no ear infections!! I thank the Lord! for that. They have had an occasional runny nose.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 11:14:01 AM »
It looks like most of you didn't dilute your goats milk.  I used either canned or powdered milk.  Maybe that makes a difference.  Once we move out to the country, in a year or two, we want to get a goat.  I'll have to try it pure then!

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 05:11:25 AM »
My husband's boss has had another baby and they are looking to do the same with this one as they did the last, prescription formula. Very expensive stuff. My husband told him about raw goat's milk. I would think even store bought goat's milk would be better than the formula. I know my nephew was on it when he was a baby.

Hubby is asking me to find information on raw goat's milk and I am lost. I searched the threads but they aren't what I am looking for. I have a feeling the guy wants to see some research, if a doctor said it that would help even more.

I tend to think this family won't go to the trouble to get it raw so if there is something about store bought goat milk that would help too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not computing much these days, last month of pregnancy and the computer screen gives me killer headaches.  :-\
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 09:41:59 AM »
Sorry if I am confused, but what are they trying to help?  Just better nutritionally than baby formula?  Is there a reason the mom isn't nursing?  We have a store in town that sells raw cow and raw goat's milk.  My son has a dairy allergy and drinks the raw goat, but he is 5. I have a friend that switched her baby from formula to raw goat at 6 months and she did great.  I would not use goat milk from the store on my baby because the pasturization and homogenation process is going to kill all of the useful nutrients as well as causing the fat globules to breaks down which is not healthy for the arteries and heart.  (Same applies to homogenized cow's milk).  I don't know if all the nutrients are present that a newborn baby needs however, I would try to find an alternative dr. to ask about whether the baby would need any additional supplements.  The raw milk will be very hard to find.  Illegal to sell in most states I think, but worth the search in my opinion.

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 05:42:02 AM »
Sorry if I am confused, but what are they trying to help?  Just better nutritionally than baby formula?  Is there a reason the mom isn't nursing?

Better nutritionally than formula and something, er, cheaper I believe. The doctors had put their last baby on prescription formula. They said it cost as much as a small car payment every month.

The mother isn't nursing because she doesn't want to as far as I know. She would have to change her diet and doesn't want to. I believe she already went back to work as well.

Everything I am finding online about putting a baby on goat's milk is negative. This is strange, I thought it was healthier than formula.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 12:37:33 PM »
As a baby, I was bottle fed and was lactose intolerant...WIC put me on Goats milk. I was a happy, healthy 20 pound , six-month old! So, when my seven year old was a preemie and having issues with formula, I was unable to nurse due to meds I was on for the stroke I had from ecclampsia, we got Goats Milk from our best friends. I loved it because Goats milk, raw, is the closest thing to breastmilk. For us it was free! Emily was 3.10 at birth and was 15 pounds at 4 1/2 months! She is super healthy and very smart. I hope that this couple finds a great source for their baby!
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:39:17 PM by seeker »

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 10:15:09 AM »
Thank you!

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »
Has anyone else tried giving their baby raw goat milk?  I gave my 4mos old some of our goat milk last night before bed (first time taking a bottle) and about 2 hours later, dh and I heard gagging over the monitor.  When I ran in there, he was soaking wet, choking and his lips were blue!!  I turned him upside down and whacked him a few times and he finally threw up thick, coagulated milk.  It looked like cheese!  He was very pale and jaundice looking and lethargic for about an hour after that. 
Two of my other boys had a bit of a bug yesterday so I don't know if it was the goat milk or if he had a tummy bug like the other boys, but now I'm terrified to try to give him goat milk again!
Anyone else had a problem with the milk turning sour and thick in their tummy then throwing it up??  Is he just too young for goat milk?  Could he be allergic??
Thanks for any help you can give.  We were so excited for our goat to kid right around the time we were wanting to be able to supplement breast milk but now I'm not so sure....

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »
I always waited until 6 months to give my babies anything but breastmilk, and for some reason they didn't seem to be able to handle the goat milk raw until they were past 9 months to a year, so I pasturized it myself on the stove. (As you know) my kids are sensitive to animal milks though; my little brother had raw goat milk entirely from 6 months on, and he handled it okay. Oh, I always dilute mine half water! That helps as it's very thick compared to breastmilk.

(Good to see you, Mamasboys- I was thinking of you yesterday, and almost PMed to say Hi!)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline mamaof7

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 08:42:34 AM »
Wow!  How scary!  I'm glad you had a monitor to be able to hear him choking.

My neighbor feeds her kids fresh goats milk , but she dilutes it.  The best concoction is 1/3 goats milk, 1/3 carrot juice and 1/3 water.  They say that is the closest to breast milk. If you give all goats milk, you could end up with a constipated child, too.
Hope that helps.

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 09:04:32 AM »
Thanks ladies (Hi Dara!), diluting it sounds like the way to go.  I never thought of that! 
Our pastor's wife (she's vegan) had a hard time breastfeeding and said that she made her own formula from fresh goat milk, carrot juice and water as well - it actually sounds kind of yummy :) 
I think I'll wait another month and then try it again but diluted either with water or carrot juice.   ;D  Thanks again!
Andrea

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 09:21:13 AM »
  Our oldest quit nursing around 3 months old and we put him on raw goats milk. After asking around we decided on diluting it too. I used one half quart goats milk and filled the other half with water and added 1 tsp mollasses. This is all he took until he started eating other foods when he was much older and he was a very healthy happy baby.
  I had tried other formulas but he would get bally aches from the milk protein. But goats milk was fine.  Good Luck.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 10:01:29 AM »

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 10:05:09 AM »
If it was me I would just breastfeed for awhile. Goat milk works (I know someone who had great success with it) but it is really not what God intended. I think if you can't breastfeed for some reason that goats milk is the best choice but you should just breastfeed if possible.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline thatgirl

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 10:47:24 AM »
I was unable to make enough milk for our son, so at 7 weeks old we started him on store bought ultra-pasteurized (cringe) goat milk. That was all that we could find at the time and it was better than formula. Anyways... we have just recently found a source for raw goat milk and he is drinking that now (7 months). Whenever he did spit up he had a stinky goat cheese smell to him. If you can exclusively breastfeed that would be best, I'm sure.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »
I have a hard time producing enough milk for my babies, and all the herbs for lactation don't seem to make a difference, so raw goat's milk has been a reall life-saver for us! Elijah Music began to drink goat's milk from a bottle when he was just 2 weeks old. About 1/2 of his diet is breast milk and half goat's milk. He does just fine on it. I haven't diluted it so far, but have recently considered it because his poop is a little thick lately, and I don't want to constipate him.
The Bedouins in Isreal often feed their newborns goat milk, and it has been a common practice for centuries. I don't know if they cut it with water or not.

All of my children have grown a lot and have high color since beginning the raw goat milk. My little girl (who turned 3 last week) wears size 6 clothing - nothing smaller! It may be partly genetics, but they really have grown since starting the goat milk!

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Eviesmom

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »
I have a friend who puts all her children on goat's milk, but she adds vitamins to it, do you need to do that? I think she adds beta carotene.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 11:02:56 AM »
Here are two additional threads w/ lots of info and testimonies.
www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1656.0.html
www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,6307.0.html

Added vitamins also discussed in above links.  ;)

Offline thatgirl

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »
I've read (in NT) that goat milk does not have enough folic acid or vitamin B12 like cows milk has. You may need to find a supplement for those.

Offline mamaof7

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »
I remember growing up (I'm an MK who spent my first 18 years in Africa), when the mama's couldn't nurse for some reason, they would teach the women to wash off the goat's tits, and stick the baby right on the goat.  It was more sanitary than bottles, etc... in a dirt floor, thatched roof, environment.  So, it probably should have been diluted, but it didn't always work that way. ;)