Author Topic: Basal Body Temperatures  (Read 113290 times)

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
Re: Basal Body Temperatures
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »

And to share with you my all time favorite temping tip... I set my cell phone alarm to some early time like 3am (or what ever). When the alarm went off I would temp and then go back to sleep till the regular alarm went off. That way you always get the temp at the same time and kids waking you up earlier than usual (or husbands  :D for that matter) dont mess up you charting. Works best with a themometer that has memory so you don't have to get out of bed at all.
GL

A great big 2nd to that!!! I do almost the exact same thing, cell phone and all, only at 5 instead of 3. My kids are a little older so they sleep well into the AM.

My big hang up when I was first taking my temp was that I was looking at all the temps from the beginning of my period. It was monumental when I read in TCOYF that you only need to look at the last six days of your chart (ie. today and the 6 days before it.) If your temp today is 2 10ths of a degree higher (per Toni, but 1 10th is ok if you don't have a big thermal shift) than the last 6 days, you count it as day 1. If *tomorrow's is at least that high or above, you count it as day 2. If the next day's is that high or above you count it as day 3 and you declare yourself as having ovulated ;D. Your cover line will be drawn at 1 10th of a degree above the highest temp of the last 6 days (not counting today's.) On your chart it looks like they drew it on the highest temp of the last 6 days. Either is fine

Another thing about the sporadic temps. I'm sure you're not doing this, but a friend of mine was asking about her charting. She didn't have her chart to show me and I was having a hard time figuring out what was going on with it. Then the truth came out. Her thermometer takes a long time to read so she would stick it in her mouth and go get her crying baby at the same time :D! Remaining still and in bed it critical to accurate temps ;). Just thought I'd mention that.

I hope that helps!

*Day 2's temp may fall below your cover line. That's ok as long as day 3 is up above the cover line and remains there the following days. If day 3 stays below the cover line, you disregard that high temp you had and consider yourself as not having ovulated yet :-\.
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
Ok! I get it! Day three would have fallen below the coverline and thus I ovulated later.  ;D

So another question, how do I know if I *actually* ovulated? I have PCOS, so is there a chance I was just fakin it?

Also, how many dips should there be after ovulation? Or how many jumps/rises? I'm pretty sure if you are looking for pregnancy it's 3 rises in temps? So if no pregnancy is it 2?
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2008, 05:16:35 AM »
Another question  ::)....I took my temp an hour early today. Should I add the .1 to the temp? Or was it close enough?

Edit: Or i guess you are supposed to add .1 for every half hour, so that would be 2 .1's?

Edit again: Hmm. According to the fertility friend website, temps should NOT be adjusted.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:44:53 AM by amy3js »

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2008, 12:55:19 PM »
I am so glad to have found this thread!! 
So another question, how do I know if I *actually* ovulated? I have PCOS, so is there a chance I was just fakin it?

Amy3js, I have PCOS, too, and have to wonder occasionally if my body is faking it.  :) I tend to rejoice (and then obsess) over any little sign of normalcy!! 

It was monumental when I read in TCOYF that you only need to look at the last six days of your chart (ie. today and the 6 days before it.) If your temp today is 2 10ths of a degree higher (per Toni, but 1 10th is ok if you don't have a big thermal shift) than the last 6 days, you count it as day 1. If *tomorrow's is at least that high or above, you count it as day 2. If the next day's is that high or above you count it as day 3 and you declare yourself as having ovulated ;D.

Well, that just became pretty monumental for me, too....I've been having a "forest for the trees" sort of cycle. Thanks!  I'm so glad I can post on here instead of driving myself (and DH!) crazy obsessing over my chart!

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2008, 01:00:12 PM »
Another question  ::)....I took my temp an hour early today. Should I add the .1 to the temp? Or was it close enough?

Edit: Or i guess you are supposed to add .1 for every half hour, so that would be 2 .1's?

Edit again: Hmm. According to the fertility friend website, temps should NOT be adjusted.

I adjust mine the .1 for every half hour. Record the actual temp you took, but adjust it as well and use the adjusted one to connect to yesterday's and tomorrow's. That way you have both recorded. It may not make a difference, but then it may and you'll have all the info you need.

Do you think that maybe the web site might be confusing you more than if you just wrote it all down on a chart? You can get them at the library at tcoyf.com. Just click on the links (each one is a bit different and I suggest this one) and print the one you want.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2008, 06:39:01 PM »

I adjust mine the .1 for every half hour. Record the actual temp you took, but adjust it as well and use the adjusted one to connect to yesterday's and tomorrow's. That way you have both recorded. It may not make a difference, but then it may and you'll have all the info you need.

Do you think that maybe the web site might be confusing you more than if you just wrote it all down on a chart? You can get them at the library at tcoyf.com. Just click on the links (each one is a bit different and I suggest this one) and print the one you want.

Actually I have been charting on a "real" chart all month and part of the month before. I just made my chart on fertility friend the night before last so that I could discuss it here. And I like your idea of recording both numbers. I'll do that on my own chart.   

anb- Do you have any hints on how to tell if you really did ovulate?

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2008, 04:26:40 PM »
Havasmama:  I wish.  I need a little arrow to appear above my head saying "Ovulated!"  Since birth control pills are the default treatment for PCOS, I'm just coming off them, thank goodness!  I'm so glad to be rid of them!  This is my first month charting "for real", and I'm still waiting on the temperature rise.  However, I've been sick so I expect it will be late.  I'm using a fertility monitor, too, and it JUST moved to 'high' on CD 22.  It's going to be a long cycle, I guess!

However, I'm pretty sure I ovulate.  I went to the hospital about a year and a half ago thinking I had a ruptured cyst...it turned out that I had either ovulated or was about to.  My ovaries were clear  (!!) with one little follicle and no free fluid.  Apparently it was ovulation pain! And it's happened nearly (but not every) month since. So, combining the pain with temperatures and the OPK, I'm hopeful.  I really like charting, though; it's definitely given me a window into my body and what it's doing at any given time. I think I'll end up teaching all our daughters how to do it; I don't want our kids to be as ignorant of their bodies as I once was!

I keep reminding myself that having PCOS doesn't necessarily mean that I will be infertile, or even have trouble TTC.  I'm determined (and DH is keeping me honest!) not to consider myself 'abnormal' until at least this summer, after we've given it a good try for a bit.  Of course, I was diagnosed 13 years ago, so 'abnormal' has been my middle name for a bit. I guess I have just assumed for so long that this would be impossible, and now have to retrain myself to trust God and my body to do its thing.   Now I tend to happy dance over the slightest things: ovulation pain, a temperature that even budges, and cervical fluid.  My husband has learned not to respond when I say "guess what I can make?!"  He's been rather red-faced this month ;)   Hey, normal is new to me!!
Ramble, ramble, ramble....

Offline joy b

• Adept
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2008, 05:09:45 PM »
I have a digital thermometer that seemed to be reading low.  Not long before my period was supposed to start, the highest it showed was maybe 67.2  One time I left it in longer and it kept going up after the thing beeped.  Should I leave it in longer all the time?   :-\  Or maybe another thermometer?  I have already tried two.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2008, 06:46:52 PM »
Havasmama:  I wish.  I need a little arrow to appear above my head saying "Ovulated!"  Since birth control pills are the default treatment for PCOS, I'm just coming off them, thank goodness!  I'm so glad to be rid of them!  This is my first month charting "for real", and I'm still waiting on the temperature rise.  However, I've been sick so I expect it will be late.  I'm using a fertility monitor, too, and it JUST moved to 'high' on CD 22.  It's going to be a long cycle, I guess!

However, I'm pretty sure I ovulate.  I went to the hospital about a year and a half ago thinking I had a ruptured cyst...it turned out that I had either ovulated or was about to.  My ovaries were clear  (!!) with one little follicle and no free fluid.  Apparently it was ovulation pain! And it's happened nearly (but not every) month since. So, combining the pain with temperatures and the OPK, I'm hopeful.  I really like charting, though; it's definitely given me a window into my body and what it's doing at any given time. I think I'll end up teaching all our daughters how to do it; I don't want our kids to be as ignorant of their bodies as I once was!

I keep reminding myself that having PCOS doesn't necessarily mean that I will be infertile, or even have trouble TTC.  I'm determined (and DH is keeping me honest!) not to consider myself 'abnormal' until at least this summer, after we've given it a good try for a bit.  Of course, I was diagnosed 13 years ago, so 'abnormal' has been my middle name for a bit. I guess I have just assumed for so long that this would be impossible, and now have to retrain myself to trust God and my body to do its thing.   Now I tend to happy dance over the slightest things: ovulation pain, a temperature that even budges, and cervical fluid.  My husband has learned not to respond when I say "guess what I can make?!"  He's been rather red-faced this month ;)   Hey, normal is new to me!!
Ramble, ramble, ramble....

I'm pretty sure this post was geared at me, even though it says havasmama? Either way, I was glad to read it! ;)

I have actually been using a clear blue easy fertility monitor that a friend gave me. Its one where you pee on the stick in the morning and put it in the machine. It had me do that for 20 days, but I didn't ovulate. Then on the last day I don't think I peed on the stick long enough and it read low and then didn't ask me to do it again. And that was before the supposed ovulation took place. Sooooo, the monitor did not really help me, but I did have high fertility every day, other than that last one.

So if my temps rose after what MIGHT have been ovulation, does that mean I probably ovulated?

Isn't it nice to not be on hormones anymore! It's freeing in a weird way. I had an IUD taken out last June and have just recently started charting to see if I am ovulating or not. I love charting, its so interesting!

I also had some bad pain in my side this month. But since I have never had ovulation pain before, I don't know if thats what it was. I hope so! At the time I thought it was too bad to be ovulation pain, but if yours sent you to the hospital, maybe it was?

Your right, PCOS doesn't have to mean infertility. I do have one daughter and I totally believe that God doesn't let something small like hormones stop him if he wants to give us a baby. I like to remind him if that- ya know, in case he forgot.  ;) :D

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »
I have a digital thermometer that seemed to be reading low.  Not long before my period was supposed to start, the highest it showed was maybe 67.2  One time I left it in longer and it kept going up after the thing beeped.  Should I leave it in longer all the time?   :-\  Or maybe another thermometer?  I have already tried two.

Is it possible they are in Celsius? It seems that if your temp was 67 degrees F, you would be dead? Also, I have a thermometer that beeps the entire time its in use as a signal to let you know that it is in the right spot. If it doesn't beep then it means it needs to be moved to a new spot under the tounge. I know it is done when it starts beeping a lot.

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2008, 07:52:49 AM »
You're right, amy3js!  I think I was typing while distracted! I have the same monitor that you do.  It finally moved for me on CD 21, and I THINK would have hit peak for me today if I hadn't overslept.  :(  I was so mad at myself! At least I woke up to temp, though -- and now that I'm healthy I can see where I DID have a slight fever while I was sick, even before I realized it!  There's a little four day patch of temps above 98 where I thought I was ovulating, or had.  And now I'm back to the mid-97s where I started out. This is so informative for me!! 
It IS so wonderful not to have the pill influencing my life anymore!  As for the pain you felt, it definitely could be.  The first time it happened to me, it dropped me like a rock.  I seriously thought I was about to die, and I have a very high pain tolerance. DH was very worried, and off we went to the doc. Since then, it's varied in intensity, but can get pretty painful.  Sometimes it's just crampy, but other times it'll stop me in my tracks for a bit.  Here's to trusting God, and not some medical definition!!  ;D

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »
anb, are you guys trying to conceive? How long did it take you to get pregnant with your other one(s?)

Offline joy b

• Adept
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2008, 02:34:44 PM »
Sorry... I meant... let's see what did I mean?   :(  97.2   I think that's what I meant   ::)

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »
Sorry... I meant... let's see what did I mean?   :(  97.2   I think that's what I meant   ::)

:D :D :D :D :D
Ok, that sounds more normal!  :D Actually most of my temps are below 97 and I have even had some below 96. Low temps can be a sign of an under active thyroid, which I think I have but haven't yet dealt with.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
Low temps can be a sign of an under active thyroid, which I think I have but haven't yet dealt with.

Just an interesting something - my temps are normally 96.0 thru 96.5 pre-ov. Every once in a while I've actually hit 95.9. I've wondered, "Am I alive, or what?!" Anyway, I've been taking cayenne for the past month, 1/4 t every morning and last week started 1/2 t. This month my pre-ov temps have been between 96.5 to 96.9. Hmm. Just thought it was interesting.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »
Mine are also around 96.  I just figured it was because I was inactive at the time?

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »
Low temps can be a sign of an under active thyroid, which I think I have but haven't yet dealt with.

Just an interesting something - my temps are normally 96.0 thru 96.5 pre-ov. Every once in a while I've actually hit 95.9. I've wondered, "Am I alive, or what?!" Anyway, I've been taking cayenne for the past month, 1/4 t every morning and last week started 1/2 t. This month my pre-ov temps have been between 96.5 to 96.9. Hmm. Just thought it was interesting.

Do you take it in capsule? I have thought about taking cayenne, but I couldn't handle it plain.  :P

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
No, not in capsule. I take it in juice. Maybe 1/4 cup. Just enough to get it down w/o having to drink forever before getting it down :P. It's a bit hot, but the burn doesn't linger.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2008, 09:19:23 PM »
Is it gross or slimy? I'm such a wimp...... ::)

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2008, 06:55:50 AM »
Is it gross or slimy? I'm such a wimp...... ::)

:D ROTFL!!  That's me, too!  If only they could make cayenne taste like Dove's chocolates, huh?!! ;)

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2008, 06:31:37 AM »
anb, are you guys trying to conceive? How long did it take you to get pregnant with your other one(s?)

Hi!  I just saw this, must have missed it somehow.  We're not supposed to "try" yet until April, since I just came off the pill.  We don't have any children yet.  How long did it take for you to get pregnant with your first one?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:35 AM »
What helped me figure out my low progesterone 8 years ago was my luteal phase of about 3 days. :o  They say anything under 9 days is indicative of low progesterone, although I'm sure there's other issues that could cause it. 

So could I use this technique to monitor progesterone levels if I've had a tubal ligation?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »
What helped me figure out my low progesterone 8 years ago was my luteal phase of about 3 days. :o  They say anything under 9 days is indicative of low progesterone, although I'm sure there's other issues that could cause it. 

So could I use this technique to monitor progesterone levels if I've had a tubal ligation?

I honestly have not researched much about tubal ligations and their effect on hormone levels.  But if it were me and I seriously thought I was deficient in progesterone, I would definitely monitor my temps. 

And I would also get a hormone saliva test done.  You can get them here:http://www.johnleemd.com/store/prod_stest.html
 (hope that link worked  :-\

You can also get saliva tests at quite a few other places online.  It's a home test.  When I had mine done 8 years ago, my progesterone was pretty much nil.  Don't know if this answered much for you, HB.  But then again, I'm not SC!  ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #173 on: March 04, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »

I honestly have not researched much about tubal ligations and their effect on hormone levels.  But if it were me and I seriously thought I was deficient in progesterone, I would definitely monitor my temps. 

And I would also get a hormone saliva test done.  You can get them here:http://www.johnleemd.com/store/prod_stest.html
 (hope that link worked  :-\

You can also get saliva tests at quite a few other places online.  It's a home test.  When I had mine done 8 years ago, my progesterone was pretty much nil.  Don't know if this answered much for you, HB.  But then again, I'm not SC!  ;)
Would the temps be accurate with my tubes being "unfunctioning" as it were?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #174 on: March 04, 2008, 11:38:26 AM »
I found this on tubal.org.  After reading this, it looks like a tubal could mess up your estrogen/progesterone levels.  And those levels are part of what affect your temps - thyroid can also be a factor.  So I don't know that I would trust your temps.  I'd be very curious, though, what a woman's temps are through her cycle after having a tubal.  Do you still ovulate?

Post tubal ligation syndrome is often the result of a rapid decline of estrogen/progesterone hormone levels caused by the blood supply being damaged to the ovaries during the TL surgery.  Depending on the damage to the veins and capillaries, blood volume to the ovaries may slightly decrease or can be eliminated completely which is called isolated ovarian syndrome   (common with hysterectomy operations). Many of the symptoms of PTS are associated with menopause, hormone shock, or of having an estrogen/progesterone imbalance.

Other symptoms, such has heavy painful periods may be caused by a hormonal imbalance, could be caused by adenomyosis (bought on by uterus muscle and tissue being damaged, effected by the TL surgery impairing the blood supply to areas of that organ/muscle) or a combination of both.  Pain also can be caused by retro bleeding backing into the sealed fallopian tubes.

Other theories of PTLS and the hormonal imbalance that results after a TL is that target or receptor cells that are important in the relay of hormonal messages are damaged, destroyed, and or removed during the TL surgery.  These receptor cells act like a telephone, sending messages to the brain.   These  target/receptor cells are located within the fallopian tube.

With this in mind, it's possible for a woman to have both her ovaries still functioning to some degree (if blood supply was not damaged), have no major problems with her uterus (again if blood supply was not damaged to that organ), and still be experiencing PTS in the from of a hormonal imbalance caused by change in her hormonal message relay system due to receptor cells being removed.

The only way to find out for sure if you have a hormonal imbalance or are menopausal  is to be properly hormone tested.

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #175 on: March 04, 2008, 12:33:54 PM »

Hi!  I just saw this, must have missed it somehow.  We're not supposed to "try" yet until April, since I just came off the pill.  We don't have any children yet.  How long did it take for you to get pregnant with your first one?

Well, we were off BC for about a year with no luck and then I went on metformin and the BC pill for 9 months (although I took metformin sporadically at best) and I was pregnant within 3 months of going off of those. This time I had my IUD removed last June and still nothing. But, as hard as it is to not be pregnant yet, I know that its probably for the best right now since I am also trying to get healthier.

Why are you not supposed to "try" till April? Is that because of the pill?

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #176 on: March 04, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »

you are supposed to wait a certain time after coming off the pill for the health of the baby.  Too soon can cause problems/defects (or at least that used to be what they said).

Offline amy3js

• Master
« Reply #177 on: March 04, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »

you are supposed to wait a certain time after coming off the pill for the health of the baby.  Too soon can cause problems/defects (or at least that used to be what they said).

Really? I did not know that! All though that makes sense considering what BCP's are.

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »

Pretty much.  We wanted to start trying in April because of some family things going on this summer/fall, and wanted to avoid being due smack in the middle of all that.  So, since I want to be pregnant around April, my OB said to go off the pill and give myself February and March to get regulated and free of the pill. 

Meanwhile, it's CD 34, no ovulation and no AF  (http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/1efc24/ttc.png).  Fabulous. I'm on Met, too, and probably will be throughout pregnancy to avoid GD.  If this isn't a horridly personal question, how was your first cycle off the pill?  I feel like a giant failure already!  Granted, I was sick, but so far it's a no go. I'm trying not to obsess, since I'm sure that helps very little  ::)

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2008, 06:44:42 PM »

Would the temps be accurate with my tubes being "unfunctioning" as it were?

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't.... as you approach ovulation, eggs are maturing in the ovaries, each one in it's own follicle. When you ovulate, the egg that is released leaves it's follicle behind in the ovary and that follicle collapses on itself and becomes the corpus luteum (yellow body) and it produces progesterone. When an egg is fertilized and burrows into the uterus, the HCG produced "sends a message" to the corpus luteum to remain, producing the progesterone. The progesterone is responsible for maintaining the uterus lining. With the decline of progesterone, the lining is shed (period ;).) When a woman is trying to get pregnant, if her luteal phase is short, she can have an early miscarriage.

Are you taking your temp presently? It could definitely help you know if you're having a normal luteal phase. And what is normal :D? 12-16 days.

I would imagine your temps would still be accurate if your ovaries are still functioning. But, I'm not sure. :-\

HTH