Author Topic: Depression, Anxiety and other Neurological/Mental Disorders  (Read 18646 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Depression, Anxiety and other Neurological/Mental Disorders
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:37:24 PM »
The causes of psychological illnesses and the link to [Environmental Illness]
Depression and anxiety are believed to be caused by chemical changes in the brain. In these disorders, chemicals called 'neurotransmitters', which are the brains chemical messengers, become deficient or imbalanced. The exception is manic depression in which certain neurotransmitters may be elevated during the manic phase. The main neurotransmitters involved with psychological problems are Serotonin (5HT), Norepinephrine (Noradrenaline) and Dopamine. All have different effects but they all affect a persons emotions and their outlook on life, in some way. Serotonin is mainly associated with emotional stability and a sense of calm and contentment, norepinephrine is associated with drive, mental energy and motivation and dopamine is involved with pleasure and reward. Without the right levels of these chemicals you become emotionally unstable and your experience of life, and outlook on it, become distorted.

Knowing that these psychological problems are caused by changes in levels of neurotransmitters we can see how they are associated with Environmental Illnesses. All the neurotransmitters are made, in the body, from amino acids, and various vitamins and minerals are needed for the conversions, from amino acids to neurotransmitters, to take place. Sufferers of Environmental Illnesses are commonly found to have various sub-clinical deficiencies of multiple nutrients. If you have lower than optimal levels of just one nutrient, be it amino acid, vitamin or mineral, that is involved with producing neurotransmitters then the production line will break down and you will have low neurotransmitters and the accompanying symptoms associated with depression and anxiety. 

Other factors associated with Environmental Illnesses that can lead to psychological symptoms:

* Poor blood flow to the brain (low oxygen and glucose supply)
    * Low cellular energy production
    * High homocysteine (a toxic chemical from normal metabolism) due to vitamin deficiencies
    * High ammonia due to gut dysbiosis
    * Allergies (histamine is an excitory neurotransmitter)
    * Food Intolerances
    * Chemical exposure in those with MCS (possibly those without an obvious reaction as well)

The important thing to remember is that there are a large number of biochemical reasons why people with CFS and fibromyalgia, for example, commonly have psychological problems. Your illness is not "all in your head", it is an organic disease, and it is entirely possible, in fact, probable, to have a psychological illness like depression as well as an Environmental Illness like chronic fatigue syndrome, at the same time.from

Leaky gut syndrome also creates a long list of mineral deficiencies because the various carrier proteins present in the gastrointestinal tract that are needed to transport minerals from the intestine to the blood are damaged by the inflammation process. For example, magnesium deficiency (low red blood cell magnesium) is quite a common finding in conditions like fibromyalgia despite a high magnesium intake through the diet and supplementation. If the carrier protein for magnesium is damaged, magnesium deficiency develops as a result of malabsorption. Muscle pain and spasms can occur as a result. Similarly, zinc deficiency due to malabsorption can result in hair loss or baldness as occurs in alopecia areata. Copper deficiency can occur in an identical way leading to high blood cholesterol levels and osteoarthritis. Further, bone problems develop as a result of the malabsorption of calcium, boron, silicon and manganese....from

Millions of Americans suffer from depression. Many of them have taken Prozac, Zoloft and other medications. These medications, like many others, may cause adverse reactions. Because of these possibilities, many therapists say that these drugs should not be given to people without looking for the underlying physical and psychological causes of the person's depression.

Like fatigue, headache, PMS and other chronic complaints, depression may develop from many different causes. Moreover, such causes are often multiple. In my experience and that of many other practicing physicians, Candida albicans ranks high on the list…especially in women between the ages of 25 and 45....from

Candida Yeast/Fungal overgrowth has been found to be a common occurrence in many disorders and is also present in millions of other people who cannot figure out what is wrong with them, or what to do about it.

Symptoms vary from person to person and fluctuate in severity, or may come and go. Most symptoms are invisible, which makes it difficult for others to understand the vast array of debilitating symptoms with which we contend...
Psychological problems may include:

* depression
    * irritability
    * anxiety
    * panic attacks
    * recurring obsessive thoughts
    * personality changes and mood swings (irrational rage or crying for no reason - fear of talking to people, any kind of confrontation, isolation)
    * paranoia...from

Related Threads:

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Treating Candida/Yeast While Pregnant
Foods to Eat While Taking Yeast Assassin [or Other Antifungals]
Natural Antifungals
Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:40:27 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Depression, Anxiety and other Neurological/Mental Disorders
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:55:57 PM »
Check the bottom of my previous post.  I found another related article.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Joy2BMommy

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 07:49:22 PM »
Perhaps looking into a quality cod liver oil might be helpful.  I don't have any experience using it specifically for depression but have read from many different sources that it can be helpful with that.  Some other supplements to consider are the B vitamins - especially B12 and kefir, which actually means to "feel good".  Praying you are able to find something to ease her depression.

Blessings,
Debbi
Blessed mama of six kiddos with #7 on the way!

Offline rachel87

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:57:40 AM »
I have not found that 5HT is powerful enough at increasing serotonin for me.  After researching a bit - trileptefan?  was offered as a supplement many years ago - however, as I understand there is not a supplement on market as powerful.  Do you know of any? or any suggestions?

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »
L-Tryptophan is what you are looking for.  5-HTP converts to tryptophan.  It should be readily available at the health food store, and on-line.

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 05:44:08 AM »
  There is a book called Depression Free Naturally by Joan Matthews Larson. You can find it on amazon or www.healthrecovery.com. I haven't read it yet but I have read another of her books it was good. Well studied.   
  L-Tryptophan was taken off the market for quite a few years. But is now available. Very good for depression and mental disorders of various kinds.The website mentioned would have info about it.
  Good articles HB! Very informative. Thanks.
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline rachel87

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:11:33 PM »
 If you are cleansing and the 5HT or other supplement is not absorbed... it never had a chance to work.  This caught me in a bad way.  Careful of the combinations.

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 08:13:01 AM »
has anyone had any experience (or know someone who has) with
SAM-e?? If so, could you tell me about it?
Thanks!
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
Something else...

Could someone suggest a cleanse for a me, never-before cleanser who MAY have Candida (have some of the symptoms) that does not involve DRINKING OIL?? Thanks again!

Also, I'm writing for a friend who is greatly struggling to come off of her long term psychiatric meds. How do you know if the depression/anxiety one experiences is from childhood trauma (dysfunctional home life) or from actual chemical imbalances or both? What if the person became severely depressed and anxious at 13 with no known traumatic event other than a lifetime of home/parental stress... and for over 10 years has responded well to Prozac (which I think is supposed to add more Seretonin?) and Klonopin (horrible, I know and she knows it, but it was all that seemed to calm her major anxiety attacks and "generalized anxiety")... How do you get them off the chemicals on on track by a natural means to help them heal once and for all? She has slowly been withdrawing for the past two years of the Prozac and is trying to do one med at a time. She's now only taking 1/4 of the original dosage of Prozac (10 mg), but is feeling major depressive episodes returning. She really has withdrawn very slowly. Her dr. says she'll need it for life! But, she's determined to be free of this if at all possible. Any ideas, suggestions for her on this would be appreciated.
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 10:27:09 AM »
Something else...

Could someone suggest a cleanse for a me, never-before cleanser who MAY have Candida (have some of the symptoms) that does not involve DRINKING OIL?? Thanks again!
None of the treatments for Candida include drinking oil.  This is a liver/gallbladder flush.  Go back and read the Candida/leaky gut threads for step by step instructions on how to proceed.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mothers Medicine Cabinet

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 08:41:17 AM »
Please listen to this link about pure, therapeutic-grade (t-g) essential oils (e.o.) research http://www.anhonestbusiness.org/missing_link_to_modern_medicine.htm

That link talks how research and scientist have proven that e.o. are high in antimicrobial properties which help fight disease. They have trace elements of nutrients, hormones, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, antibodies, and antifungal, antibacterial, anti-infectious, antiseptic, and immune-stimulating properties. The essential oils have been shown to assist in fighting cancer, modulate the immune system, balance hormones, reduces inflammation which causes pain, regulate blood glucose and much, much more.

When I was depressed a few months ago I used the therapeutic-grade essential oil of "JOY" to help balance my emotions and I was able to get back on track with my life. Many people I've heard have gotten off their anti-depressant meds by incorporating t-g essential oils into their lives. If you'd like additional information feel free to contact me.

Jessica@anhonestbusiness.org

P.s. a great nutritional cleanse is the "5 Day Nutritional Cleanse" Here's a link about it.
http://www.youngliving.us/US/2006_convprod/pip-5day_cleanse.pdf

Offline jett leann

• Adept
  • www.janettesjava.com
    • janettesjava.com
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 03:23:50 PM »
has anyone had any experience (or know someone who has) with
SAM-e?? If so, could you tell me about it?
Thanks!
Hey maideninwaiting, I just now saw what you posted on March 31st about Sam-E.  I've been taking that for 4-5 years, and it's been absolutely wonderful for me.  I have taken Zoloft (prescription for depression) about 13 years ago, and I'll tell you what, Sam-E is much better than that, IMO.  I have suffered with depression for many years, and I take 800 mg. of Sam-e first thing every a.m. when I first get up, on an empty stomach.  The brand I have always taken is the "NOW" brand.  I don't have any experience with any other brand besides that one.  I just wish I'd known about it about 27 years ago, when I was 12 years old, and my depression started. :-\  I guess we live and learn...
HTH, Jett Leann

Offline avelosa

• Herbal Junky
  • Wide Eyed
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
Hi. I'm brand new to this site, and I wanted to say thank you to everyone who is posting on this issue. After nine years of suffering from the same thoughts/mood swings I've only recently been diagnosed with depression. I am doing my best to learn everything I can about it, as well as find natural ways to treat it. Thanks a lot for all the information you guys have posted. I appreciate all of it.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 01:16:24 PM »
Just want to add some valuable info. Shonda Parker recommends to test for:

1. Thyroid levels
2. Adrenal/Cortisol levels
3. Progesterone deficiency

when dealing with depression. From my research, I whole heartedly agree!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:51:21 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.