Author Topic: muscle twitching in pregnancy  (Read 43944 times)

Offline SarahK

• Master
muscle twitching in pregnancy
« on: August 08, 2006, 03:39:00 PM »
For the last few pregnancies I have had really irritating muscle twitching in my eyelid.  It's always the same spot.  I can't figure out if there is some pattern to the onset of twitching.  These are the only things I know for sure - and I'm not really sure they are related to the twitching or not:  It's worse when I'm really, really tired.  Light pressure on the twitch will stop it most of the time, but it usually starts again as soon as I let up.  It's not painful or anything - just really annoying.  Am I missing something obvious here?  Is there something I can do to prevent this?

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: muscle twitching in pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:25:13 PM »
Hi Sarah - I've had the exact same problem in my right eyelid!! I've noticed for me it's important not to get "tired eyes" from reading, crochet, monitor staring... I've also noticed that supplementing my potassium by eating a banana every day, and/or eating oranges helps with all muscular cramping and nerve twitching.

Other things I'd try would be adding the mineral sea salt to your food and/or water, and making sure you get enough vitamins, rest, and water. 

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline felmleyfam

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:10:08 PM »
It is good to hear I am not the only twitcher ;) ;) ;) perfect smile for that. My eye has been going nuts the past few days and I have been trying to think about what I may be stressed about. I have had the eye twitching when I am under stress before. This time I don't think I have that amount of stress. I have a few days till my due date but am feeling excited about that. However, I have noticed that I haven't been eating bananas which I normally do.....so that was interesting to read that about the potassium. Thanks; off to the store (in the morning).
happy wife & momma ! When people say, "you have your hands full," I say, "and my heart!!!" It changes their negative attitude into a positive one in a few seconds flat

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 09:32:11 PM »
Hi Sarah - I've had the exact same problem in my right eyelid!! I've noticed for me it's important not to get "tired eyes" from reading, crochet, monitor staring... I've also noticed that supplementing my potassium by eating a banana every day, and/or eating oranges helps with all muscular cramping and nerve twitching.

Other things I'd try would be adding the mineral sea salt to your food and/or water, and making sure you get enough vitamins, rest, and water. 

Rebekah

You also did a liver flush.  Do you think this might have helped your symptoms?  Liver toxicity seems to contribute to a lot of nerve and muscle disfunctions.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:32:55 PM »
FYI:  Potatoes are high in potassium too. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 03:33:48 AM »

Rebekah

OK - I'll make a look into potassium.  Bananas will be a tough one - I just really don't like them in any form.  It's the only thing I can think of that anyone normally eats here that I just get a little gaggy on.  I'll find another source if I can.  _Prescription for Nutritional Healing_ by Balch & Balch says "It is specifically found in apricots, avocados, banans, blackstrap molasses, brewer's yeast, brown rice, dates, dulse, figs, dried fruit, garlic, nuts, potatoes, raisins, winter squash, torula yeast, wheat bran and yams." as a list of veggies.  Don't have any info about how these rank as 'great sources' or 'trace sources'... but I am more likely to go for some of these others.  (Is these something about commercilally dried fruits/home dried fruits that increases the potassium?... another thread?)

Anyway -  I am getting as much rest as I usually get at this stage of pregnancy.  I drink my red rasp tea and/or water about a gallon - 1.5 gallon a day.  Walk for about 30 min a day.  Switched from one set of vitamins that I've been on for 6 months to SuperMom yesterday. 

Only  thing from the list I probably won't do is the sea salt - I put myself on a salt restricted diet because of varicose vein problems from my first pregnancies.

Thanks for the tip-
Sarah K

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 03:35:26 AM »
Just found a 'recipe' for raw potato juice for increasing potassium intake.  I think I have found another thing I don't like even more than bananas.

Sarah K

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 03:44:11 AM »
Maybe you could use it in potato soup?           ~L

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 03:49:06 AM »
Yep - I can do that or use it as the liquid in bread baking... but the idea of drinking that suff that must look like dishwater and taste like spray starch.... I could gulp a swallow a banana much easier than that.
Sarah K

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 03:04:43 PM »
I have never had problems with eye twitches until about three days ago.  My right eye has been twitching almost constantly.  Anybody have any ideas what about pregnancy would bring this on?   ???  Just a higher demand on the body perhaps?

All the ideas are great on here.  I'll be trying them.  In the meantime it is really annoying.   :P
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 03:27:30 PM »
Muscle twitches, restless legs and leg cramps all seemed to be related in my experience. I got them in the corner of my right eye and on the side of my nose  >:( Drives you nuts after awhile...Taking care of a calcium/ magnesium imbalance took care of all three of those symptoms. I cut back on the calcium and did epsom salt baths. You could also try a little bit of magnesium powder.
I was also told it could be a potassium deficiency but none of those attempts (banana, potato peelings, etc) helped at all. A midwife also suggested a quality sports drink- because of the extra minerals they have- but they all had so much sugar I never tried it...

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »
Bananas will be a tough one - I just really don't like them in any form. 

3 ideas that might help if it's an issue of texture, not taste. #1- Puree w/juice. Banana & pineapple is my favorite. #2- Either peel, dip into something to prevent browning & freeze or freeze in peel & cut the peel off when your ready to use. When ready to serve cut into chunks & whip in blender into ice cream. You don't have to add anything to it- banana has fat & nat. sugar so it makes wonderfull ice cream. You can add up to about half of another frozen fruit. #3- toss plain or frozen bananas into a blender drink. For all of these, they are sweeter if they are speckled rather than yellow. Maybe this will help. ~herbalmom

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 03:55:17 PM »
I know that restless legs and eye twitches are linked to neuroligical issues, but i have to think that they are somewhat related to circulation.  When I am pregnant my left eye twitches, and I've found that a warm compress or gentle massage and stretching of my skin (gently pushing toward my ear, toward my nose, toward my eye, and circular patterns) help the spasm to go away for a time, though they always came back later.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 06:28:37 PM »
I am also a fellow eyelid twitcher . I had the all over body twitches and eyelid twitches worse during pregnancy.

Like I have posted in other post taking extra calcium with megnesuem( spell) and Vit D in them helped me twitch and hurt less.

I read that pregnancy zaps our body of its storage of calcium and other minerals and thats why we get low on minerals while preg.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 06:52:36 PM »
I'm the one at the beginning of this topic & I'm post-partum now.  The eye twitch was not as bad as other pregnancies.  I never did try bananas - sorry- I can taste banana in fruit salad even if I don't get one scooped in my serving.  Uck.

I did freeze up all the beet greens I could get out of my garden, though.  I did more searching & found a rescource that listed these as high in Potassium as well.  So - I ate those when I remembered (go figure - I like greens).  I also age butternut winter squash for the last 2 months of pregnancy.

All to say - I don't know what helped:  SuperMom, Greens or Squash.  OR if it was something else.

Sarah K

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 07:28:01 AM »
 My mom had to have her thyroid removed and somehow related to that is supposed to take extra calcium for the rest of her life, Dr's orders and he used to see if her face twitches and if it does, she's not getting enough calcium. All that to say, the Dr thought face twitching is related to calcium deficiency.  ???

Offline priyazubair

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 06:27:27 AM »
God bless all of you folks here.. I had muscle twitch under right eye for a week and then now have some here and there on my arms, legs and eyebrows and have been scared like hell that something is wrong with me. This all started in my third trimester... a banana a day definitely helps..

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »
I had this a couple of times.  I found that when I cut way back on the sugar, this was not as much of a problem.  I also found that the magnesium I took for RLS helped with this too.  I don't know if RLS and the twitching are related, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I also know that my RLS wasn't as bad when I went off sugar.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 12:26:49 PM »
Just wanted to add my experience, even though I'm not pregnant.  My left eye was twitching for 4 or 5 days, and it was starting to get worse and affect my vision.  So I read this thread, and instantly cut back on my calcium/magnesium, and ate a banana in a smoothie.  The next morning it had stopped.  For a few days now, I can feel either of my eyes start to twitch, but always after a smoothie, it stops.  So I guess, at least in my case, it was a potassium balance.  I love WTM!  Now I'm not Ole Shifty Eye. :-*