Author Topic: Papaya Leaf & Mosquitoes and/or Mosquito Transmitted Diseases  (Read 2468 times)

Offline SarahK

• Master
If anyone finds any further info about it's use in malaria prevention, I would be interested.  Specifically my questions are "Why does it seem to work?"  Is it a general bug repellent (doubt it since that should have been mentioned somewhere)?  Does is repel mosquitoes (should have been mentioned)?  Does it repel just malaria-baring mosquitoes?  Does it repel/destroy/inactivate the microorganism causing malaria? 

I would just love info about the function on a cellular level.... but I suppose there just isn't a lot of grant money floating around for this little thingy.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Papaya Leaf & Mosquitoes and/or Mosquito Transmitted Diseases
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:00:38 AM »
This article has no scientific studies, but much anecdotal evidence.  It would appear to me from this article, that it attacks the disease rather than repeling the mosquito because those who got malaria after drinking the papaya tea, has lesser symptoms; however, at least one story mentioned that the tea worked until they were exposed to heavily mosquito populated areas, which could mean that it only repels mosquitos if there are few, (some bug sprays are like this), but it could also support that it does nothing at all to mosquitos. 

http://www.echotech.org/network/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=576

I also found this article that says malaria can be caused by different parasites, so that might also support with the above anecdotal evidence, that the leaf may only work against specific varieties and not all.

Malaria is spread in three ways. The most common is by the bite of an infected female Anopheles mosquito. However, malaria can also be spread through a transfusion of infected blood or by sharing a needle with an infected person. There are four different species of parasites that cause malaria. They are the Plasmodium falciparum (which is the most fatal), P. vivax, P. malariae, and P. ovale. When an infected mosquito bites a person, the parasites enter the bloodstream and travel to the liver. They multiply in the liver, then travel back into the blood, where they continue to grow and multiply so quickly that they clog blood vessels and rupture blood cells. When the red blood cells burst, the parasites are released and then attack other red blood cells. Malaria is not contagious, which means one person cannot pass it directly to another. However, if a mosquito that is not infected bites an infected person, it picks up the malaria parasites. Animals can also get malaria, but animal malaria cannot spread to humans, and human malaria cannot spread to animals.

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/m/malaria.htm

My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:03:57 AM »
Here's more evidence to support that's it's a curative measure rather than a prohibitive measure.

I would like to share this interesting¬†discovery from a classmate’s son who has just recovered from dengue¬†fever. Apparently, his son was in the critical stage when his pallet counts drops to 15 after15 litres of blood¬†transfusion.¬†
His father was so worried that he seeks another¬†friend’s¬†recommendation and his son was saved. He confessed to me that¬†he give his son raw juice of the papaya leaves. From a pallet count of¬†45 after 20 liters of blood transfusion, and after drinking the raw papaya leaf juice, his pallet count jumps instantly to 135. Even the doctors and nurses were surprised. After the second day he was discharged. So he ask me to pass this good news around.

Accordingly it is raw papaya leaves, 2pcs just cleaned and pound and squeeze with filter cloth. You will only get one tablespoon per leaf. So
two tablespoon per serving once a day. Do not boil or cook or rinse with hot water, it will loose its strength. Only the leafy part and no  stem or sap. It is very bitter and you have to swallow it like Won Low Kat. But it works.

Papaya Juice - Cure for Dengue
You may have heard this elsewhere but if not I am glad to¬†inform you that papaya juice is a natural cure for dengue fever. As¬†dengue fever is rampant now, I think it’s good to share this with¬†all.

http://karachi.metblogs.com/2006/10/22/dengue-save-thy-self/

Again a disease related to mosquito transmission, but the papaya was used after the person was infected and rather ill.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 05:08:58 AM »
This article however; supports that it actually kills the mosquitoes. 

YOUNG SCIENTISTS from Gujarat and Maharashtra have done some incredible innovative inventions! They have made a marker pen with red chilli or turmeric ink and a mosquito repellent prepared from leaves of papaya. This strange creativity has won them applauses at an international science fair.

Rising cases of dengue fever and malaria made us to think over its remedy. The initial idea was to find an eco-friendly method to check mosquitoes,” says Divya Venkatraman, a student of Modern English School, Mumbai.

Venkatraman and her classmate Neha Kulkarni prepared an extract from papaya leaves and tested it at various stages of mosquito breeding. They perused the efficacies of the extract for months and observed that ’the mortality rate of mosquitoes was 86 per cent!’

Kulkarni informs, “We collected papaya leaves, crushed it to prepare an extract, diluted it in water and studied its effect on mosquitoes at various stages stages.” Kulkarni and Venkatraman showcased their creations at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (IISEF) in America this May.

They got the third prize, beating some odd 1,500 young scientists from all over the world. Kapil Sibal, Union Science and Technology minister, has awarded them certificates of merit for excellent scientific temper.

Bio-natural product
Venkatraman further tells that their creation is absolutely bio-natural, cost effective and easily available. It does not cause any hazard to either plants or human beings.

“It is also eco-friendly; has no biological harms and the rural people can take great advantage of it,” she opined.

http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=135287&catID=4&category=Technology

This would make me wonder if it doesn't do both.  Maybe it's able to kill the mosquitoes and also kill the virus and/or parasites they carry, making it a preventative and a curative measure all in one.

If this above story is true, then it would stand to reason, that you could make the tea and spray it on the body rather than drinking it to achieve the same effects.   ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 05:12:24 AM »
One other thought...either spraying on or drinking may also be effective at treating the bites after.  I know that meat tenderizer (main ingredients - bromelain from pineapple and papain from papaya) works well to pull the itch out of a bite. 

So this might be good thing to have around for mosquitoes killing, bite prevention and bite treatment all in one formula.

Makes me wonder if it would also kill/repel fleas on the carpet and on pets.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 05:14:58 AM »
Papaya contains the enzyme PAPAIN, a sort of mild vegetable hydrogen peroxide that attacks all necrotic (dead) tissue. Breaks down protein compounds. Most insect bites, stings, itchogenics are protein compounds.

Do you suppose it kills the mosquitoes because they are full of dead blood?  Not sure how that would relate to the malaria/dengue parasites.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline beckyoto

• Learning
Re: Papaya Leaf & Mosquitoes and/or Mosquito Transmitted Diseases
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
Hi there,

Does anyone out there happen to know if Papaya Leaf helps with the West Nile Virus?  Does it work in dried for as a tea/tincture, or do the leaves have to be fresh?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,
BeckyOto

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Papaya Leaf & Mosquitoes and/or Mosquito Transmitted Diseases
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
We tried the tea this summer to repel skeeters.  We drank it twice a week and I don't have any solid evidence but I'm convinced we got bit less while drinking it.

It was difficult to surmise because we were also getting bit by fleas, BUT the mosquito bites always heal with tea tree in about an hour and the flea bites take several days and more treatment before they quit bothering.  I'm convinced ENOUGH that we will be drinking it again next summer.
  My favorite herb book!!