Author Topic: Budwig Mixture/Protocol  (Read 14646 times)

Offline SarahK

• Master
Budwig Mixture/Protocol
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:23:20 AM »
The Budwig Mixture is discussed briefly here:

How to make the Budwig Diet Mixture

It's a very simple, short explanation, so take the time to check out the link.

I have just begun to do more investigation after a couple thoughtful people encouraged me to consider it - with my Dad in mind.  So, I bought my ingredients and enough for Mom & Dad to have some and here we go.

If you have a hard time stomaching the taste of Cod Liver Oil (CLO) with the potential of fish burps and all, I recommend this option.  When done correctly & thoroughly, everyone who tasted it did not taste any fish at all.  None.  And I was lookin' for it folks cuz when I did it wrong the first time I could hardly gag it down.

The proportions and order are significant, so I won't post them here.  Check the link.  But included are cottage cheese, flax seed oil, cod liver oil, cinnamon, fruit & flax seed. 

To be honest, I don't expect that this will be a grand cure for my Dad, but I do believe that I have been given a way to get these great oils into my parents.  More weird pills or 'fish slime on a spoon' would not go over well.  But this tastes like a cheesecake flavored pudding/dessert.

Anyone else have experience with this?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:25:00 AM by SarahK »
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: Budwig Mixture/Protocol
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:24:22 AM »
Wow.  Thanks so much for posting that.  I've never heard of that before, but after reading the link to the article by Mike Vrentas, I'm very interested in trying it for all this stuff that's been going on with my nerves!  Since I've been taking daily large amounts of EPO and fish oil, things have been smoother, but I still have occasional weird heart beats or tachycardia.  In the article, it said she used oil enemas.  I've never heard of that, but would be interested in how it was done -- like, what the mixture was. 

I do hope this is helpful for your dad, even if it isn't the "grand cure".  Let us know.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »
Sarah,
How did you get it to taste good? I've tried it a few times and it always tastes, well, barely tolerable for me and not tolerable for anyone else in the family who tried it. What's the secret that I've failed to see in the intructions anywhere?

Thanks,
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 04:35:07 PM »
The time I couldn't swallow it w/o effort, I didn't get all the oil emulsified.  There was still a ribbon of CLO in my bowl and it about killed me.

I use the immersion blender & put the cottage cheese in first then the 2 oils.  I'm blendering it for what seems like a loong time and then I scrape the sides & bottom of the bowl (actually a 2c liquid measure) well and whiz it a while longer.  It actually looks like cheesecake batter that has taken on the color of the egg yolks.    I add honey, fruit & cinnamon after that.

I don't know if there is a trick to it that I'm doing and not getting communicated here but I will try to observe closely the next few times and see if I come up with anything.

(The Man just reminded me that I didn't get all the fruit in the first time.  Probably made a difference there, too.  I'm serious - it nearly killed me!)

(Well, almost.)

Sarah K

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:28:15 AM »
I use the immersion blender
I believe the tool you use makes the difference.  I,, myself have yet to try it, but the person who told me about it, said the same thing.  Here's a pic in case you're not sure what an immersion blender is.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-76BC-SmartStick-200-Watt-Immersion/dp/B000EGA6QI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0817829-5080752?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1220881104&sr=8-1
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:46:22 AM »
I used to have an immersion blender but it's gone now. I used my regular blender and there was no visible oil left and I didn't see any when I scooped it out into bowls. I added fruit and nuts and that was the only thing that helped me gag it down. It just tasted bad.

I could try my food processor, but I'm having a hard time believing that it will change the taste that much.

I'm pretty sure I blended it really well.

I think I will buy the cinnamon flavored flax seed oil I bought for my mom once. It' tasted good just added oatmeal so it will probably taste alright in this, too.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:35:53 AM »
I used to have an immersion blender but it's gone now. I used my regular blender and there was no visible oil left and I didn't see any when I scooped it out into bowls. I added fruit and nuts and that was the only thing that helped me gag it down. It just tasted bad.

I could try my food processor, but I'm having a hard time believing that it will change the taste that much.

I'm pretty sure I blended it really well.

I think I will buy the cinnamon flavored flax seed oil I bought for my mom once. It' tasted good just added oatmeal so it will probably taste alright in this, too.

WR
I still can't speak from experience (haven't gotten that far yet), but I can tell you my good friend is adamant about using the immersion blender-so much so that she bought me one.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 06:44:44 AM »
Yes, this is one of those recipes (like GOOT) where the oils must be COMPLETELY emulsified in order to get the finished product (where the oil is made water soluable).

A VERY energetic person with a whisk may be able to accomplish this with a LOT of time, BUT it WON'T happen with a hand-held mixer, a blender, a super-dooper as-seen-on-tv chopper, spinner, grinder or whatever. This is about suspending the molecules by even distribution so that it cannot be separated. . . .

I also know of another person who tried this recipe with a blender and was SURE she had it all mixed and was totally gagged by the resulting product.

She was AMAZED at the difference when she used the right tools.  8)
http://busycooks.about.com/library/glossary/bldefemulsify.htm
Definition: Emulsify means combining two liquids together which normally don't mix easily. The ingredients are usually oil or a fat like olive oil or egg yolks, and another liquid like water or broth. Acidic liquids like lemon juice help the process by changing the pH of the mixture. The liquids are combined very slowly, usually drop by drop, while beating vigorously, which suspends drops of liquid throughout each other. Bearnaise, hollandaise, and mayonnaise are examples of emulsified foods.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 07:32:45 AM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 06:55:03 AM »
and the right tool would be?  ???

The link isn't working :)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:39:55 AM »
and the right tool would be?  ???

The link isn't working :)
The link works now.
You can find immersion blenders for around $10 at most retail outlets.
The range from fancy:

to gitRdone  ;)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 07:44:10 AM »
I love these things!  I find these at the thrift store frequently.  My blender went out on me recently, and I was able to actually make blended ice smoothies with my immersion blender.  I also use it to make baby food as well.  It's so much easier to use and clean than my big food processor.
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:08:24 AM »
Um if you can emulsify mayo in a blender or food processor (mine even has a thing on the plunger where you pour the oil and then it drips in) then why in the world can't you emulsify this stuff in one. I'm not talking about a cute little chopper here... the blender is a full-sized, 10-speed, 450 watt blender with the same kind of blades that you find on the immersion kind, and the food processor is an actual, big ol' food processor ( this one actually). LOL!

I'm pretty sure that it was emulsified because it did not separate when the uneaten portions were left out for half the day.

I'm going to give my food processor a chance at this stuff (one day) and see if I maybe it will whip more air into it or something (don't know how that could possibly change the taste either, but what the hay :D)

Now, I may eat my words at some point and say there is something magical about a blender on a stick, that takes away all yuckiness. But at this point, I'm thinking that maybe my flax seed oil is rancid. LOL!

WR
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:11:17 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 10:40:42 AM »
The reason that my blender or food processor or other gadgets don't work is because they have a fixed blade that spins while I place the ingredients on top of them.

My immersion blender works in these applications (GOOT & Budwig) because I am able to immerse the blade down into the food and physically touch each part of the ingredients until they are completely incorporated -- I can take the blade to the food rather than waiting for the food to come into the path of the blade. I'm with you on not wanting any gadgets that I don't need. I had to be convinced it was necessary (for some applications I needed for my family).

All I can say is what others have found: There IS a difference that you will see for yourself when you compare the two. . . .
Hey, if you can talk Duke into getting me one of those snazzy looking ones, I'll send you my old one!  ;) 8)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 02:04:23 AM »
I'll second that fact that an immersion blender is worth the cabinet space. 

I also have a Cuisinart, and I like it for coarse chopping and kneading, but it is terrible about spinning food around and not really incorporating it. 

Most blenders don't do a great job of incorporating and fully blending ingredients either.  The most common reason is that the jars are round, and the rotating force of the blades spins the food around and up the jar.  A square blender jar breaks the spin pattern, and forces the food back down into the blades.  I have an antique commercial Osterizer blender that rocks my world :) 

But I love my immersion blender for little projects.  It's a little powerhouse of a tool and even grinds up ice like a champ in smoothies.  I can blend things up right in the bowl or storage container, so it really cuts down on the dishes.  To clean the immersion blender, just stick it into dishwater and pulse it a few times.  Just keep your fingers clear. :)

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 02:22:20 AM »
What y'all are saying makes sense. I was thinking that that was the only difference that might make a difference  :D when I posted above, but I kept thinking that I know the mixture was emulsified when I took it out of the blender. So I started looking around the net, and everywhere I looked they said they used a blender... BUT they also said they blended it for like 5 minutes and it had a pudding or custard consistency. Mine was like yogurt, so I'm thinking about blending it longer. Also, IIRC, my mom has a stick blender, so I might give it a try too. Especially if it will help make something I can get the whole family to eat.

My family has a strong history of colon cancer. Doctors say we should all have regular testing for it starting at age 30. And my mom is about the age now, that her brother was when he died from it (mid to late 50's).

WR
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:24:06 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »
My Dad has been eating this for breakfast every day since July.  It's usually all he has for breakfast cuz he says the oils are very filling.

His last Dr. appt was about 3 weeks ago.  The things of note were:
(1) The tumors in his pelvis are growing slower than was expected.  The rate of growth seems to have decreased since his appointments in the Spring/Early Summer. 
(2) The Doc was surprised that there are no constipation problems at all - amazing considering the sorts of pain meds he takes.
(3) It appears that most people who take the chemo meds he is taking only tolerate them for a couple rounds because they feel so terrible while taking them.  It wears them more than the tumor growth.  My dad works a 6 hour day with a break for lunch on these meds.  (Granted, he has little arm strength, but he runs a chainsaw for a few hours and then takes the little kids for a hike on the trails in the woods before another job out there.)  He's been granted the OK to continue series of these meds as long as he feels they are effective.

To be honest, I don't know what is being effective.  But Mom & Dad were both anxious that my order from iHerb with the oils get here on time - otherwise they would have to run to town to find some so he wouldn't miss his breakfast.

Sarah K
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 06:11:22 PM by SarahK »

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 05:14:15 AM »
Cool! Thanks for the very interesting report.

Offline Larry

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
I believe that the Budwig drink played a part in my wife getting rid of stage 4 colon cancer. We use a stick blender and also have a small blender that we sometimes use to make Budwig Smoothy's. Just blend the FSO and CC and then add ice and fruit or coco. If you like Wendy's Frosty, you will love the coco.

I have drunk Budwig and the soreness in my mussels, from working, vanished.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 06:55:25 PM »
Sarah K,

I read through the links, etc. and one thing I'm not sure I understand.  Does it use BOTH flax seed that you grind and flax oil or is the ground flax seed being used interchangeablely with the words flax oil in these links?  Also, do you mix your fruit in with the mixture after it's emulsified or just place it on top?  The links I read sounded like it should be placed on top, not mixed in.  But I have to be able to eat this stuff!!  Do you think you could put how you do it down here?  On the one hand it sounds like it's just flax oil and cottage cheese, but on the other, they talk about adding other ingredients so I'm a little confused.   ???

I have an autoimmune disease I'd like to try this mixture for.  The Budwig Diet actually calls for no meats, etc.  Is your dad doing that or just the mixture?  I'm trying to figure out which one I should use.

thanks,

patti
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:38:25 PM by mykidsmom »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »
Several site offer different combos.  I don't know which is "official". 

I know the way my Mom makes it for dad is with ground flax seed added after flax oil and cod liver oil.  She also blends the fruit right in as a last step but my understanding is that it could just as easily be layer like a parfait or skipped all together since it is just for calories, flavor and such.  It is not part of the combo that makes it cancer offensive.

Did that clarify?  I'll try again!  And maybe Larry has some insight here, too.

Sarah K

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 09:04:59 AM »

I know the way my Mom makes it for dad is with ground flax seed added after flax oil and cod liver oil.  She also blends the fruit right in as a last step but my understanding is that it could just as easily be layer like a parfait or skipped all together since it is just for calories, flavor and such.  It is not part of the combo that makes it cancer offensive.

Sarah K

Okay.  So let me make sure I have this right.  Flax oil, then cod liver oil, blend with hand wand, then add ground flax seed.  Blend with a spoon.  Then add fruit.  Blend with a spoon (or parfait it, whatever).  Right?

For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 09:22:07 AM »

Sarah K

Okay.  So let me make sure I have this right.  Flax oil, then cod liver oil, blend with hand wand, then add ground flax seed.  Blend with a spoon.  Then add fruit.  Blend with a spoon (or parfait it, whatever).  Right?

I think she uses the immersion blender on all the steps.  She's not one to get a second tool dirty if she can avoid it at all.

The flax seed is not going to contribute as much to the 'curative process' as the blenderized oils in cottage cheese.  As far as I've ever read, it appears to be included in some and not others.  I suspect it's there for fiber and texture/flavor reasons only.  But I've not researched it.  Blendering it should not change the effectiveness of the mixture.

She blenders the fruit right in cuz Dad doesn't like it when the fruit pieces weep juice and make wetter spots in the mix.  But we're weird like that.  Again, it appears to be really just a matter of preference at that point and not a matter of changing the effectiveness of the mixture.

Keep askin'!
Sarah K

Offline Larry

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 07:51:33 PM »
The way I understand it, the essential ingredients are Flax Seed Oil (cold pressed) and Low Fat Cottage Cheese. The oil provides Omega 3 fattie acids and blending it with CC , makes the Omega 3 soluble (it can now readily be assimilated into the cell walls) the Budwig Diet limits all the other fats and oils, so the good oils will be more readily received by the cells.

It taste bad so that's why the fruit etc. I don't know about the fish oil.

The FSO will go rancid very rapidly so you have to mix it as you use it.

Cancer cells, the way I understand it, often begin because the normal cell uses processed oils, that have closely bonded molecules for longer shelf life, in the cell wall and the cell wall, because of the closely bonded molecules, now resists the natural inflow of nutrients and resists the outflow of waste. The now abnormal cell begins to create an anaerobic and acid environment and now depends on glucose (sugar) for fuel. This abnormal cell now reproduces and you end up with cancer.

Sound clear as mud? Picture a window screen, that's how the norman cell wall should work..oxygen and nutrients pass threw and waste products pass out. Now picture a screen window that has a very small mesh.... so small that nothing can pass: that's what happens to the cell wall of some cancer cells. The Budwig drink, in very simplistic terms, replaces the small mesh with normal sized mesh and the cell can breath again.

You know the burning in your mussels after you work very hard? That is caused by acid in the mussel. There is a very complicated process that your body undergoes, involving your inhaling oxygen and exhaling CO2, that eventually will neutralize the acid. I have drunk the Budwig Drink and the burning went away very fast, I have tried it other times and it didn't seem to help... maybe I didn't drink it soon enough, I don't know.

The information on this link seems to agree with the majority of information I have read. http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/budwig_protocol.html