Author Topic: Kneeling Chairs  (Read 8290 times)

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Kneeling Chairs
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:04:43 AM »
For the past couple years, I have been working a sit-down job.  I have never done this before and have found that it takes it's toll, especially when I find myself slouching. I also tend to get mild edema when I sit in the typical chair position for too long. 

My dh and I have looked around and decided the best chair to get for posture and keeping the leg-to-abdominal area open is a kneeling chair.  There are LOTS of versions of this style of chair, and we are wondering if anyone has had one of these and what your thoughts are on comfort, cost, make, etc.  TIA  :D

Here's a link to wiki's description/pics of a kneeling chair:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kneeling_chair
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: Kneeling Chairs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 07:24:58 AM »
I need one of those! That looks really comfortable to me. I often kneel in front of the computer, just on the carpet.  Kneeling on the floor is hard on the knees though. Gotta find a cheap kneeling chair now...

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:40:59 AM »
I need one of those! That looks really comfortable to me. I often kneel in front of the computer, just on the carpet.  Kneeling on the floor is hard on the knees though. Gotta find a cheap kneeling chair now...

Rebekah

We've seen lots of them on ebay...we just want to make sure we get a good one.  I might go to a couple office supply stores and try some out.

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »
My brother had one of these at his desk when we were growing up. It was very comfortable and definitely encouraged good posture. His was a wooden frame with the padded areas similar to the photos listed here.

I would say it would be particularly comfortable during pregnancy and for relieving back pain typically associated with regular sitting positions.

HTH!
kate  ;D
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »
I have one at my big sewing desk use to be comp desk and I love it.  It is so comfortable.  I just really like it.  It has a black metal frame and I got it for free from my former physician boss guy (who was into tellling his patients about herbs  :DJust had to throw that in for free  ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »
I'm so fascinated with these! I've never heard of one before, but I've been needing to find a different office chair - I have to spend a lot of time sitting in front of the computer sometimes, and when I do, I notice that it really bothers the veins in the backs of my thighs. For those who have tried one, do you think this would take the pressure off the back of my thighs?

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:32:17 PM »
OK I just went and tried it out and the only place touching is my bottom and my knees kneeling on the knee pad.  I have bad knees too and it doesn't bother them to sit in the chair.  HTH
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:09:33 AM »
Kate -- thanks, I had looked at the wood ones and was wondering if they were comfortable.  Was it easy to move around or pretty heavy?

Blessedmama -- What kind do you have?  Is it adjustable?  Easy to move? 

Thanks so much!  :D

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 05:03:19 AM »
Um...as I remember, it was somewhat heavy, but could slide easily. I suppose it would depend on what kind of wood it's made with.

This was years ago, so I encourage you to try out what is currently available. I'm sure they've come a long way since I sat on one. Also, I was about 12 at the time. An extra 14 years and 30 pounds might make a big difference in my perception of them now.  ;D
All the way my Savior leads me...

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:02:40 AM »
I am a medical records transcriptionist, and my current chair is totally and completely worn out. I desperately need to replace it, but I keep putting off the decision because I want something that is "ergonomically correct." I thought I wanted a kneeling chair, but when I tried one in the store, it seemed like it would make my knees hurt. I am significantly overweight, but trying to bring that under control. That may be a hindrance to using this type of chair, I dunno. Does anyone have recommendations on a certain type or brand that is superior? The only ones I have tried were on the showroom floors of Office Depot an Office Max.  ::) I really don't know where to go to try good quality ones or even to make an informed choice.

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:01:19 PM »
OK I just went and tried it out and the only place touching is my bottom and my knees kneeling on the knee pad.  I have bad knees too and it doesn't bother them to sit in the chair.  HTH

Thanks, blessedmama! I'm glad to hear that it doesn't bother your knees, either... I have occasional problems with my knees, and I'd hate to aggravate them.

mhoward1999, have you ever tried a balance ball chair? I have not, but heard good things about them. Maybe they'd be a better solution for you than a kneeling chair (this is coming from the person who has never tried either of them, so take it for what it's worth ;D).

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 06:49:10 PM »
mhoward1999, have you ever tried a balance ball chair? I have not, but heard good things about them. Maybe they'd be a better solution for you than a kneeling chair (this is coming from the person who has never tried either of them, so take it for what it's worth ;D).
Actually, I have thought about it. I did use a yoga ball at my computer in the classroom when I was teaching third grade, but it got ruined. I don't know how it would be to use all day every day. If I bought one, I'd want it to be in a rack on wheels (so the ball is less likely to get punctured)like this: http://www.comfortchannel.com/images/ballchairbig_hero.jpg , but that might defeat the whole purpose of using a yoga ball. Has anyone done this?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 07:46:41 PM by mhoward1999 »

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 12:20:49 PM »
Let's see, I better mention something about a kneeling chair so I'm not completely hi-jacking....My sister had one for a while but I never liked using it. I am shorter than the average person though and I wonder if that had something to do with it.

My regular "chair" at our dining room table is a balance ball. I have pelvic instability/SI/lower back pain especially when pregnant and it really helps. I have considered getting some sort of base for it because every time I get up and come right back to the table I have to bring the ball back with me (it doesn't stay in one place very well). My suggestion would be to try just the ball for a few days since they are less $ than the ones with rack and wheels, then if you like it, get the rack and wheels.

Here's another option: http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4407_A_CategoryID_E_232
It's called a "disc pillow." I would describe it as a "pancake" of air. I'm sitting on mine right now.

HTH.
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 04:53:38 AM »
For those who need some help with back strain at the desk before you get a chance to purchase one of these nifty chairs, check out this post to get an idea of the easiest and best way to posture at your desk in your current chair.  It also has info about desk and chair height that are important no matter which chair you own.

Posture while sitting at a desk.

My favorite herb book!!