Author Topic: Posture While Sitting at a Desk  (Read 4790 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Posture While Sitting at a Desk
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:52:47 AM »
First, if you are significantly overweight or pregnant causing your legs a need to spread at the thighs, don't fight this inclination of the legs to spread as that will strain the back more.  Remove any arms from existing chairs that will prevent the natural spread.

Next, move forward in your chair away from the back to allow your knees to move towards the floor.  This will put you in near the same position as a kneeling chair.

Then move your feet back under your chair about even with your butt.  You can use the feet of the chair as a place to hook your feet if your chair is designed this way.

Now in this position, you need to check the level of your computer.  This part is going to be crucial no matter what chair you buy.

You need to be able to sit at the desk with your arms at a near perfect 90 degree angle and your hands just touching the keyboard.  Pull your shoulders back and arch your back slightly.  Pull your chin towards your chest without lowering your view.  Your head should ideally be looking straight ahead at your screen when you pull your chin back to your chest.

If your hands are in the wrong place, you either need to raise/lower your chair or desk depending on where your feet are.  If your feet are squished, then raise your seat, if they are barely touching or not touching at all, lower your chair.  If the chair is in the correct position, you may need to raise or lower your desk/keyboard.  You may also need to adjust the height of the monitor to get your neck in the correct position.

This seems troublesome, BUT...it's free (no need to buy a new chair) AND it WORKS!  If you can train yourself to sit like this every day, you'll have near NO back problems from sitting after this.  I was 7 months preggo and seeing the chiro weekly for lower back problems when I was a professional programmer.  My DO told me these things and I immediately called my boss and got the arms removed from my chair and began training myself to sit like this.  I didn't need to see the chiro again for nearly 2 years.  NOT KIDDING.  :D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Posture While Sitting at a Desk
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:34:00 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks HB!  This is definitely more comfortable than the pathetic slouch I had going on. :)  Preventative medicine is the best!

-Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
Re: Posture While Sitting at a Desk
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:18:03 AM »
Thanks HB. This confirms what I already thought... my desk is too high for my chair. This will be of great help in figuring out how to arrange things. :D