Author Topic: Mercury Amalgam Fillings: Questions & Answers  (Read 119908 times)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Mercury Amalgam Fillings: Questions & Answers
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:06:21 AM »
We've recently discovered that a few dentists involved in replacing amalgam fillings for patients that had rather not have mercury in their mouths, believe mercury interacts with yeast levels in the body. Amalgam fillings have mercury in them. These dentists have discovered that when mercury is being chelated from the body with Spirulina, Chlorella, or other chelation mediums, Yeast bacteria tend to increase drastically during the chelation, often becoming mycelial (fungal). (I understand that yeast bacteria is actually natural to the body until it becomes mycelial/fungal.)

So... we've observed that some people with mercury fillings, taking Spirulina/Supermom, will experience Yeast overgrowth as the spirulina is probably chelating GI tract mercury. What I think the problem is: once the GI tract mercury is chelated, more, fresh mercury is pulled from your fillings, or wherever it's stored, into the GI tract to be chelated. You've got a void, and it creates osmotic demand, so it pulls more mercury out of your fillings. 

Ways you might deal with this:
Stop the chelation and do a thorough Yeast cleanse, until you get the yeast totally under control and non-exsistent.
Or, take a probiotic continually while taking a chelation medium (Spirulina + TTup.)
Or, best of all - get your amalgam fillings taken out!

I'm guessing that most people will not have a problem... but if you can't seem to get rid of yeast, and you have amalgam fillings, and are taking a chelating supplement... this might be the problem.

More on this subject coming shortly...

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: Mercury Amalgam Fillings: Questions & Answers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 10:21:38 AM »
The bottom line is that we're not totally sure about any of this... But Spirulina does work like this - in chelation activities - so it is likely that what these dentists have discovered is true to some extent. Exactly how it works in the body, nobody knows yet. Not enough research has been conducted.

My first thought was, "how would this affect pregnancy?" I took Supermom and Spirulina throughout my last two pregnancies (I have 4 amalgam fillings) and both babies were perfectly healthy, the pregnancies were fine, etc... However - I did have very minor yeast flare-ups now and then, which I was able to control with diet and yogurt.

So, perhaps there are other factors... are there ladies out there that have amalgam fillings and do not have any problems with recurring yeast, while taking Spirulina/Chlorella?

Doctors will do urine and saliva analysis to see if you have mercury levels in your body, but those tests will not show any levels unless you just had fillings put in, or just had them taken out. Then there are alternative doctors who will want to do one of two things; hair analysis, or a chelate-challenge.
The hair analysis is by far the "safest" way to go in determining mercury levels. They can look at a hair, and see that as the hair grew, it had "so much" mercury imput.

However, the chelate-challenge can pull a lot of mercury out of your fillings (which would pull it into your body) which could have bad effects as your mercury toxin levels would be high.

So if you have mercury fillings, I think the best thing would be to keep taking Spirulina continuously and keep chelating your body of mercury - Or, don't take any chelating medium, and leave your mercury alone, as dormant as possible. Or, get the fillings out, and chelate like crazy - (what I'm going to do.)

I can't find any info that would verify what the effects are - of having mercury chelating (being pulled out) of your body during pregnancy.

Again - I have had two healthy pregnancies on Spirulina with Amalgam fillings.

I'd like to hear more from other people on their experiences with mercury toxicity, chelation, etc...

Rebekah

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 10:48:06 AM »
Wow, this is an amazing article, very thorough in research and mercury/chlorella interactions, and the resulting yeast growth, and why...

http://mercuryexposure.org/index.php?article_id=66

He mentions specifically that Spirulina blue green algae was NOT found on a list of metal aborbing bio-organisms, and because of this, he (the reasearcher) focuses on chlorella.

Note the interesting results with Cilantro - the only known substance to detatch, or move mercury from cells...

Note also his research on viruses - and mercury's role in breaking down the immune system. It's apparent the he believes chelating mercury to be of the utmost importance.

Rebekah

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:56:30 AM »
Okay... I feel like I'm talking to myself here  ::)  BUT:

What this researcher guy is saying about the mercury-yeast connection is:

The body uses the funguses listed (candida) to incase/surround/bind heavy metal toxins in order to protect the body from heavy metal poisoning. So in a limited form, under control, when mercury is present, YEAST IS YOUR FRIEND.  :o It guards you from heavy metal poisoning while you are chelating!

So, it seems to me, if you have amalgam fillings (I do) then to take a chelate -  like Spirulina, and also to carefully manage your yeast, not allowing it to become micelial (overgrown) but realizing at the same time that it is protecting you from heavy metal poisoning. And get those fillings OUT!!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 11:00:36 AM »
You are not talking to yourself, we are all avidly reading your info and trying to process it!  :o ;) I have to go to the dentist Wed. for a filling and teeth cleaning and am VERY grateful that I logged on the site this afternoon and read this, so I can take care of it asap.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE! 8) :D
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 11:02:13 AM »

I'm here!  I don't have any fillings, but my husband - who is on SuperDad - does and has a dentist appt. on Tuesday.  This is all new to me and I will be pointing this out to him before the appointment so he has this info.  I really appreciate the links so we can check it out with our own case in mind...

Thanks-Sarah K
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 11:11:03 AM by SarahK »
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 11:06:17 AM »
I think that despite the previous researcher's exclusion of Spirulina as a heavy metal chelate, it never the less is a powerfule chelate. It is also related in some way to a rise in natural protective modalities in the liver to defend the body against heavy metal effects.

Here is a note from a woman who did some research on Spirulina and Mercury
The study found that "mercuric chloride" (one of the most toxic forms of mercury) interfered with bile flow and caused cell membrane damage to liver cells. Mercuric chloride also significantly depleted levels of GSH in the liver. GSH (also known as reduced glutathione) plays a primary role in the body's antioxidant defense system and detoxification processes. Because mercury has a high affinity for GSH, it binds to the GSH and subsequently lowers GHS levels in the cells, thus decreasing the cell's antioxidant defenses, which leaves the cells vulnerable to damage.

Giving the Spirulina extract with the "mercurice chloride" was shown to significantly elevate the liver content of GSH and decrease liver cell damage and mercury toxicity.

The protective effects of Spirulina are believed to be due to the presence of beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium and superoxide dismutase (a powerful antioxidant) in Spirulina.

IMPORTANT: Be sure that the Spirulina you take has been screened for heavy metal contaminants. Spirulina naturally accumulates heavy metals from contaminated waters, so unless you get a product that has been carefully tested, you could end up ingesting more mercury (as well as cadmium, arsenic and lead).

Also, Spirulina was used for children exposed to radiation at Chyrnobyl:

In Chernobyl, for instance, spirulina was used to help save many children from radiation poisoning. By taking 5 grams of spirulina a day for 45 days, the Institute of Radiation Medicine in Minsk even proved that children on this protocol experienced enhanced immune systems, T-cell counts and reduced radioactivity. Israeli scientists have since treated Chernobyl children with doses of natural beta carotene from Dunaliella algae and proved that it helped normalize their blood chemistry. Chlorella algae, a known immune system builder and heavy metal detoxifier, has also shown radioprotective effects. Because they bind heavy metals, algae should therefore be consumed after exposure to any type of radioactive contamination.

--gabe

Offline stevia mama

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »
So if you have mercury fillings, I think the best thing would be to keep taking Spirulina continuously and keep chelating your body of mercury - Or, don't take any chelating medium, and leave your mercury alone, as dormant as possible. Or, get the fillings out, and chelate like crazy - (what I'm going to do.)[/color]

So Rebekah, I'm curious to know what our alternatives are if we get our amalgam fillings taken out??  I have two and the rest of my fillings are the more expensive "white" fillings (I cannot think of the term for this type of filling at the moment  :-\) and I have had problems with at least one "white" filling (boy I feel really dumb right now that I can't think of the dental term!!), so I would definitely not go that route again.  I had to have it worked on several times and still had problems.  In fact, I finally decided to endure the pain when I ate food and after about 9 months, the pain finally went away.  My new dentist recomends the mercury fillings because they rarely create problems for the patient (at least when it comes to pain).  Any suggestions?  Are there other options out there?

As my middle daughter and I walked into a rather smelly public bathroom she said in a sing songy voice, "I smell something I like to eat. . .eggs!"

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 11:25:42 AM »
Here is a great page on all the types of fillings you can get... and, be warned, your dentist will most likely not be the one to ask about filling replacement, the dangers of mercury amalgam filings, etc

Here are other resources and clinics that specialize in amalgam removal:

http://www.iaomt.org/

...er, well, that's sort of an all in one link ;)

--gabe

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 11:38:12 AM »
Also, you may know that Spirulina itself can have mercury in it, if it is grown in surface waters that contain mercury. Some spirulina is grown in tanks, assuring no mercury is present, but this is also a less natural setting.

(Beeyoutiful.com's spirulina is grown in Hawaiian waters that are pulled up from 2,000 feet below surface, and in a natural environment. Each batch is tested for heavy metals, and quality.)

Now, I want to know more about cilantro...

Rebekah
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 11:41:19 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 03:05:14 PM »
Quote from: stevia mama aka Stacy link=topic=1966.msg16304#msg16304

So Rebekah, I'm curious to know what our alternatives are if we get our amalgam fillings taken out??  I have two and the rest of my fillings are the more expensive "white" fillings (I cannot think of the term for this type of filling at the moment  :-\) and I have had problems with at least one "white" filling (boy I feel really dumb right now that I can't think of the dental term!!), so I would definitely not go that route again.  I had to have it worked on several times and still had problems.  In fact, I finally decided to endure the pain when I ate food and after about 9 months, the pain finally went away.  My new dentist recomends the mercury fillings because they rarely create problems for the patient (at least when it comes to pain).  Any suggestions?  Are there other options out there?

The white filling that you are thinking of is the white composite which is what we get.  Although it has no mercury in it, it does have trace of aluminum.  It is not as strong or durable as the mercury, so you may need to have it touched up every few years, but it still beats mercury.  It should be the same price as the silver filling.  That's one of the reasons dentists hate to do the white and try to push the silver.  It costs the same and the dentist has to perform a dangerous chemical operation doing the white filling. 
They say gold inlay is the safest, but NEVER put gold in after a mercury filing has been there.  It can mimic like a battery.  Gold is expensive, but it is supposedly the safest.  We do the white fillings.  My grandfather was a dentist and he only used white for my teeth, so I have the benefits of no mercury in my mouth.  My Grandpa used mercury on other people's teeth, but not mine.  He must have known something.  Did you know that the highest rate of divorce and suicide is among dentists?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 03:37:18 PM by BeeyoutifulGirl »

Offline luvbnamom

• Adept
    • http://my.tupperware.com/RJEFFRIES
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 03:29:01 PM »
Thanks for all the information.  My 5 year old just went in for his first check up and they found 4 cavities. :(  They are really small and between the back two teeth on both sides up and down.  The dentist told us there wasn't anything we could have done to prevent them.  His other teeth are great, but they are REALLY close. He said flossing daily mighty have been the only thing to have stopped them.  SOOOOO...he is going in this Tuesday to get two of them filled.  Thankfully these are not perm. teeth.  Should we get gold fillings or white?   No children in my family had cavities so I could use any advice out there.  ~ Becca
Becca ~ Happily married to T & mommy to JJ 7 and JB 2~

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 03:30:34 PM »
These dentists have discovered that when mercury is being chelated from the body with Spirulina, Chlorella, or other chelation mediums, Yeast bacteria tend to increase drastically during the chelation, often becoming mycelial (fungal). (I understand that yeast bacteria is actually natural to the body until it becomes mycelial/fungal.)

Doesn't the MMR have mercury in it?  This might explain a lot about the connection between the MMR and autism ??? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 03:32:06 PM »

Doesn't the MMR have mercury in it? This might explain a lot about the connection between the MMR and autism ???

I thought they all had it?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 05:34:11 PM »
...........So, it seems to me, if you have amalgam fillings (I do) then to take a chelate -  like Spirulina, and also to carefully manage your yeast, not allowing it to become micelial (overgrown) but realizing at the same time that it is protecting you from heavy metal poisoning. And get those fillings OUT!!!

thanks Rebecca!!  i will definitely be looking into taking them out!  i appreciate all your research, as i have lots of amalgam fillings.  do you know why it is so easy to get cavities during pregnancy?  i had none until my first pregnancy, and got more with each one.  :-\  should i have been taking more calcium or something while pregnant? 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 06:02:40 PM »

We spent $3000 this year having my hubby's mercury fillings replaced with white composite fillings and the biggest difference I've noticed (I'm not sure he even notices) is that he has not had anywhere near the sinus issues that he usually had.  Weird.  He still has a few more to go but that's enough for one year!!  He's got terrible teeth and we believe his mom's illness is the result of a root canal so we are working hard to get our mouths healthier.  :)

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 02:28:26 AM »
...........So, it seems to me, if you have amalgam fillings (I do) then to take a chelate -  like Spirulina, and also to carefully manage your yeast, not allowing it to become micelial (overgrown) but realizing at the same time that it is protecting you from heavy metal poisoning. And get those fillings OUT!!!

thanks Rebecca!! i will definitely be looking into taking them out! i appreciate all your research, as i have lots of amalgam fillings. do you know why it is so easy to get cavities during pregnancy? i had none until my first pregnancy, and got more with each one. :-\ should i have been taking more calcium or something while pregnant?

Yes, you do need to suplement with calcium.  If you think of it in this way, it makes  a lot of sense to me at least...Your baby is growing bones and cartiledge and these things are composed of a great deal of calcium.  Your body has to provide it to the baby, so if you don't have extra calcium, the body will take it out of your teeth and bones.

At least that is the way I have had it explained to me.  I am pretty sure you could do a little bit of research on this, and find the same information.   ;D
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline murfette

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 03:58:38 AM »
I worked for a dentist for many years before I had my first child.  He only did the white composite fillings.  They do cost more than the amalgams.  Every once in a while someone would insist on getting amalgams because they are cheaper.  He did everything he could to talk them out of it because he said they were lower quality.  They usuallly ended up getting the amalgam anyway.  The composites are more durable and do last longer.  A very small percentage may have problems with the composites and still have pain.  That isn't necessarily a problem with the composite but maybe something else is going on with the tooth that even an xray can not detect.  In that case it just takes time for the tooth to get better or even to get worse enough to figure out what is going on.  Of the time I spent working there only a very few ever had problems with the composites.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 04:26:25 AM »
I have four white composites.  I've had them for 14 years.  Prior to this I had 3 metal fillings (got while pregnant) and had severe pain everytime I ate something hot or cold.  The metal conducted the heat and cold directly into my jaw or something.  I had them replaced because of this.  I've not had any problems or pain.  It was worth every penny.  I paid about $40 per, but I think the current rate around here is $80.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 05:21:09 AM »
Ok So I have a mouthful of fillings, it would take forever and a day to replace them as well as an arm and a leg...seeing as I'm just 'passing through ' this life and I'm not going to live forever, is this really neccassary? Can I live a healthy life WITH all my horribly unhealthy fillings?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 07:03:32 AM »
Oliveoil,

One thing you could do is each time you go for a cleaning you could have them change out just one of your fillings.  Also, if you need new ones you could have them put in the composite and then change out one mercury filling at the same time.  We did this until this year when we just bit the bullet and had a boat load of them done at once. 

The question about living with the mercury fillings might be better for someone else to answer.  I honestly don't know. 

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 07:53:37 AM »
Can I live a healthy life WITH all my horribly unhealthy fillings?

Well, the question I would ask is:  are you healthy, now?  If you are basically a healthy person, then you may not be interested in it, if finances are a problem.  But if you suffer from reoccurring illnesses, it may be something to consider.  Especially as we age. 
I do know that some people have very minor reactions to mercury, while others will react quickly and devastatingly.  My hubby is an example.  He had a few mercury fillings, but not any of the symptoms that went with it.  No pain, no fatigue, no adverse reactions.  He does not have them anymore.  He has had them since removed.  We did like Patti suggested.  He had his old ones removed and new composites put in.  That may be the way for you to go.  Hope this helps.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 08:14:08 AM »
Here is my experience.  I have mercury fillings.  I had a dentist say I needed to have some redone.  I think he did two.  I have had sensitivty there ever since.  Can't really chew over there w/o pain, things get stuck b/t my teeth there where they didn't b/f.  Course I had no "mercury" symptoms" either.  I think I am basically healthy.  So over time I finallly have an answer as to why it hurts.  When they have to drill out an old filling to replace it they also drill out more tooth making the hole bigger needing more filling.  And mine was pretty big to begin with so probly my tooth is cracked AND my now dentist said that the whitel composite stuff is not as hard so probably there is some give there when I chew on that side. It is sliding around some.  So, now I need either to put the mercury BACK in or get a crown which is way more expensive.  For now I am just living with it.  Sometimes are worse than others.  I will probly end up with the crown.  So, if I had MY situation to do over again and some dentist told me I need to replace a filling that wasn't giving me problems, I would tell him no thanks, I'll wait until it's a problem.  :)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 08:22:59 AM »
Here is my experience.  I have mercury fillings.  I had a dentist say I needed to have some redone.  I think he did two.  I have had sensitivty there ever since.  Can't really chew over there w/o pain, things get stuck b/t my teeth there where they didn't b/f.  Course I had no "mercury" symptoms" either.  I think I am basically healthy.  So over time I finallly have an answer as to why it hurts.  When they have to drill out an old filling to replace it they also drill out more tooth making the hole bigger needing more filling.  And mine was pretty big to begin with so probly my tooth is cracked AND my now dentist said that the whitel composite stuff is not as hard so probably there is some give there when I chew on that side. It is sliding around some.  So, now I need either to put the mercury BACK in or get a crown which is way more expensive.  For now I am just living with it.  Sometimes are worse than others.  I will probly end up with the crown.  So, if I had MY situation to do over again and some dentist told me I need to replace a filling that wasn't giving me problems, I would tell him no thanks, I'll wait until it's a problem.  :)

Pennie,
We have the same issue.  I had a filling replaced.  While the dentist was refilling she noticed I had a crack.  She kept doing the filling and told me I needed a crown (in order to avoid a root canal).  This dentist seems trustworthy.   I have gone to her for a while and this is the first "needed" procedure she suggested. 
Anyways... I had a crown.  DID NOT HELP AT ALL.  Now, I actually have pain (didn't have any before).  I think putting the crown on made my toothe crack even further.  UGHH! So, now I have an expensive crown... and will probably need a root canal.  I am just living with the minor pain.  I don't want a root canal!
If I had to do it again.  I would leave it alone; and if it ever got bad enough I would have a root canal.  Skip the whole crown process.  I have read about it... all it does it attempt to avoid a root-canal (no promises though).  I think dentists like crowns b/c they are a fortune!

good luck!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 08:28:57 AM »
Ladies,

Did you have a regular dentist remove your mercury fillings?  I have read that this is a no-no because they do not have the proper equipment to clean all of the mercury out underneat the tooth.  A lot of times, after many years of having a mercury filling, the mercury will creep down and get stuck into your gums.  Try to locate a mercury-free dentist who extracts mercury from you. There is a state by state search on the internet, if you google it.   It is a more of an in-depth procedure than what the "regular" dentists use.  You could also have them do an mouth x-ray to see if they have in fact removed all of the fragments.  Just some humble suggestions.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 08:34:51 AM »
 :) yeah, I sometimes wonder if the first guy said I needed it redone just to do something. But SURELY not, he seemed so nice.  :) When I told him the problem and said gum would stick in there their solution was, well, we dont' recommend chewing gum anyway  ::) and here is the name of a specialist you can go to him and see if it's cracked!!  :o  I never went back to him or his specialist.  I then had another dentist really liked him but his office help intimidated me.  His lady "bulldog"  :) didn't want me making my own decisions.  He is the one that wanted me to put my 3 yr old under to "drain" a tooth after she bumped it on the bathtub.  We opted for 2nd opinion and he said leave it unless it bothers her then we will just pull it.  It even went back white on its own.  So, that is who we see now(oh, and we would have paid 600 dollars JUST for anesthsia that no one wanted to cover and this after we said no more credit cards!!)and we like this fella.  He told me another silver filling would probly be fine and way cheaper but there is the mercury issue, so I will just leave it until something happens.  I was told it could abcess and then I guess is when the canal would be necessary.  I just thought a crown was to go over the whole tooth to keep it from falling apart......... :P

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 10:31:46 AM »
Do ALL silver fillings contain mercury?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 11:06:15 AM »
Do ALL silver fillings contain mercury?

Yes.  In fact, there is only a very small percentage of silver in it.  Almost all of it is mercury.  Funny, how they stuck with calling it a "silver" filling.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 12:21:23 PM »
:) yeah, I sometimes wonder if the first guy said I needed it redone just to do something. But SURELY not, he seemed so nice.  :) When I told him the problem and said gum would stick in there their solution was, well, we dont' recommend chewing gum anyway  ::) and here is the name of a specialist you can go to him and see if it's cracked!!  :o  I never went back to him or his specialist.  I then had another dentist really liked him but his office help intimidated me.  His lady "bulldog"  :) didn't want me making my own decisions.  He is the one that wanted me to put my 3 yr old under to "drain" a tooth after she bumped it on the bathtub.  We opted for 2nd opinion and he said leave it unless it bothers her then we will just pull it.  It even went back white on its own.  So, that is who we see now(oh, and we would have paid 600 dollars JUST for anesthsia that no one wanted to cover and this after we said no more credit cards!!)and we like this fella.  He told me another silver filling would probly be fine and way cheaper but there is the mercury issue, so I will just leave it until something happens.  I was told it could abcess and then I guess is when the canal would be necessary.  I just thought a crown was to go over the whole tooth to keep it from falling apart......... :P

When you get a crown they  shave down your tooth and put a "crown" on top.  But, your everything under the skin stays.  So, from what I understand... a crack can keep going.  That't why crown's don't always work for "cracked tooth syndrome".  YES it has a name.  :D :D :D

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 12:25:12 PM »
Mercy!!  Everything has a syndrome.  Did you know there is a oh, shoot now I can't think of the proper name but it is some sort of group that are "advocates" for people of short stature.  I am 5'0" so I guess now shortness is a handicap.   ::)  Can you believe that?  :o