Author Topic: GAPS Method / Diet [Gut and Psychology Syndrome]  (Read 140377 times)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
GAPS Method / Diet [Gut and Psychology Syndrome]
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:19:14 AM »
Anyone heard of this diet? I'm seeing it mentioned on a lot of traditional foods / nourishing traditions type blogs. I haven't looked into it very far yet but it looks interesting and I thought I'd post the addy for it. I seems to be a diet for healing leaky gut, getting rid of Candida, and helping kids with Autism, ADHD, and other pervasive developmental disorders.

http://gapsdiet.com/

Here's one blogger's post on following the diet.

GAPS Diet Testimonial: Asperger’s, Allergies and Asthma

WR
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:39:12 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: GAPS Method / Diet [Gut and Psychology Syndrome]
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:33:58 AM »
This is the INTRODUCTION to the diet. This is what you do BEFORE you even start the diet itself! It looks very interesting, very NT friendly...

GAPS Introduction Diet – IMPLEMENTING THE DIET
Provided by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride

1.    Introduction Diet
2.    The Full GAPS Diet with the typical menu.

INTRODUCTION DIET

I recommend that most GAPS patients follow the Introduction Diet before going into the Full GAPS Diet.  Depending on the severity of your patient's condition he or she can move through this program as fast or as slow as his/her condition will permit: for example you may move through the First Stage in one or two days and then spend longer on the Second Stage.  Following the Introduction Diet fully is essential for people with diarrhea or severe constipation: it reduces symptoms quickly and speeds up the healing process in the digestive system.  Even for healthy people, if you or your child gets a 'tummy bug' or any other profuse diarrhea, following the Introduction Diet for a few days will clear the symptoms quickly and permanently without needing any medication.

Those without severe digestive problems can move through the Introduction Diet quite quickly.  However, please do not be tempted to skip the Introduction Diet and go straight into the Full GAPS Diet, because the Introduction Diet will give your patient the best chance to optimize the healing process in the gut and the rest of the body.  I see many cases where skipping the Introduction Diet leads to long-term lingering problems, difficult to deal with.

Start the day with a cup of still mineral or filtered water.  Give your patient the probiotic.  Make sure that the water is warm or room temperature, not cold, as cold will aggravate his or her condition.  Only foods listed are allowed: your patient must not have anything else.  On the First Stage the most drastic symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation will quickly subside.  If, when you introduce a new food, your patient gets back diarrhea, pain or any other digestive symptoms then he/she is not ready for that food to be introduced.  Wait for a week and try again.

If you suspect an allergy to any particular food, before introducing it do the Sensitivity Test.  Take a drop of the food in question (if the food is solid, mash and mix with a bit of water) and place it on the inside of the wrist of the patient.  Do it at bedtime.  Let the drop dry on the skin, then let your patient go to sleep.  In the morning check the spot: if there is an angry red reaction, then avoid that food for a few weeks, and then try again.  If there is no reaction, then go ahead and introduce it gradually starting from a small amount.

First Stage

Homemade meat or fish stock.  Meat and fish stocks provide building blocks for the rapidly growing cells of the gut lining and they have a soothing effect on any areas of inflammation in the gut.  That is why they aid digestion and have been known for centuries as healing folk remedies for the digestive tract.  Do not use commercially available soup stock granules or bullion cubes, they are highly processed and are full of detrimental ingredients.  Chicken stock is particularly gentle on the stomach and is very good to start from.  To make good meat stock you need joints, bones, a piece of meat on the bone, a whole chicken, giblets from chicken, goose or duck, whole pigeons, pheasants or other inexpensive meats.  It is essential to use bones and joints, as they provide the healing substances, not so much the muscle meats.  Ask the butcher to cut in half the large tubular bones, so you can get the bone marrow out of them after cooking.  Put the bones, joints and meats into a large pan and fill it with water, add natural unprocessed salt to your taste at the beginning of cooking and about a teaspoon of black peppercorns, roughly crushed.  Bring to boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 2.5-3 hours.  You can make fish stock the same way using a whole fish or fish fins, bones and heads.  After cooking take the bones and meats out and sieve the stock to remove small bones and pepper corns.  Strip off all the soft tissues from the bones as best as you can to later add to soups or encourage your patient to eat all the soft tissues on the bones.  Extract the bone marrow out of large tubular bones while they are still warm: to do that bang the bone on a thick wooden chopping board.  The gelatinous soft tissues around the bones and the bone marrow provide some of the best healing remedies for the gut lining and the immune system; your patient needs to consume them with every meal.  Take off all the soft tissues from fish bones and heads and reserve for adding to soups later.  The meat or fish stock will keep well in the fridge for at least 7 days or it can be frozen.  Keep giving your patient warm meat stock as a drink all day with his meals and between meals.  Do not use microwaves for warming up the stock, use conventional stove (microwaves destroy food).  It is very important for your patient to consume all the fat in the stock and off the bones as these fats are essential for the healing process.  Add some probiotic food into every cup of stock (the details about introducing probiotic food follow).

Homemade soup with your homemade meat or fish stock.  Please look for some recipe ideas in the recipe section of the book.  Here we will go through some details, specific for the Introduction Diet.  Bring some of the meat stock to boil, add chopped or sliced vegetables: onions, carrots, broccoli, leeks, cauliflower, courgettes, marrow, squash, pumpkin, etc. and simmer for 25-35 minutes.  You can choose any combination of available vegetables avoiding very fibrous ones, such as all varieties of cabbage and celery.  All particularly fibrous parts of vegetables need to be removed, such as skin and seeds on pumpkins, marrows and squashes, stock of broccoli and cauliflower and any other parts that look too fibrous.  Cook the vegetables well, so they are really soft.  When vegetables are well cooked, add 1-2 tablespoons of chopped garlic, bring to boil and turn the heat off.  Give your patient this soup with the bone marrow and meats and other soft tissues, which you cut off the bones.  You can blend the soup using a soup blender or serve it as it is.  Add some probiotic food into every bowl of soup (the details about introducing probiotic foods follow).  Your patient should eat these soups with boiled meat and other soft tissues off the bones as often as he/she wants to all day.

Probiotic foods are essential to introduce right from the beginning.  These can be dairy based or vegetable based.  To avoid any reactions introduce probiotic foods gradually, starting from 1-2 teaspoons a day for 2-5 days, then 3-4 teaspoons a day for 2-5 days and so on until you can add a few teaspoons of the probiotic food into every cup of meat stock and every bowl of soup.  If your patient is ready to introduce dairy, then use your homemade yogurt or kefir.  If dairy are still out, then into every cup of meat stock or soup add juice from your homemade sauerkraut, fermented vegetables or vegetable medley (please look in the recipe section of the book).  Make sure that the food is not too hot when adding the probiotic foods, as the heat would destroy the beneficial probiotic bacteria.

Ginger tea with a little honey between meals.  To make ginger tea, grate some fresh ginger root (about a teaspoonful) into your teapot and pour some boiling water over it, cover and leave for 3-5 minutes.  Pour through a small sieve and add honey to taste (optional).

Second Stage:

Keep giving your patient the soups with bone marrow, boiled meats or fish and other soft tissues off the bones.  He or she should keep drinking the meat stock and ginger tea.  Keep adding some probiotic food into every cup of meat stock and every bowl of soup: juices from sauerkraut, fermented vegetables or vegetable medley, or homemade kefir/yogurt.

Add raw organic egg yolks.  It is best to have egg yolks raw added to every bowl of soup and every cup of meat stock.  Start from 1 egg yolk a day and gradually increase until your patient has an egg yolk with every bowl of soup.  When egg yolks are well tolerated add soft-boiled eggs to the soups (the whites cooked and the yolks still runny).  If you have any concerns about egg allergy, do the sensitivity test first.  There is no need to limit number of egg yolks per day, as they absorb quickly almost without needing any digestion and will provide your patient with wonderful and most needed nutrition.  Get your eggs from the source you trust: fresh, free range and organic.

Add stews and casseroles made with meats and vegetables.  Avoid spices at this stage, just make the stew with salt and fresh herbs (look for a recipe of Italian Casserole in the recipe section of the book).  The fat content of these meals must be quite high: the more fresh animal fats your patient consumes, the quicker he or she will recover.  Add some probiotic food into every serving.

Increase daily amount of homemade yogurt and kefir, if introduced.  Increase the amount of juice from sauerkraut, fermented vegetables or vegetable medley.

Introduce fermented fish, starting from one piece a day and gradually increasing.  Look for recipes in recipe section.

Introduce homemade ghee, starting from 1 teaspoon a day and gradually increasing.

Third Stage:

Carry on with the previous foods.

Add ripe avocado mashed into soups, starting from 1-3 teaspoons and gradually increasing the amount.

Add pancakes, starting from one pancake a day and gradually increasing the amount.  Make these pancakes with three ingredients: 1) organic nut butter (almond, walnut, peanut, etc); 2) eggs; 3) a piece of fresh winter squash, marrow or courgette (peeled, de-seeded and well blended in a food processor).  Fry small thin pancakes using ghee, goose fat or duck fat, make sure not to burn them.

Egg scrambled with plenty of ghee, goose fat or duck fat.  Serve it with avocado (if well tolerated) and cooked vegetables.  Cooked onion is particularly good for the digestive system and the immune system: melt 3 tablespoons of duck fat or ghee in the pan, add sliced large white onion, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes on low heat.

Introduce the sauerkraut and your fermented vegetables (your patient has been drinking the juices from them for a while now).  Start from a small amount, gradually increasing to 1-2 tablespoons of sauerkraut or fermented vegetables per every meal.

Fourth Stage:

Carry on with the previous foods.

Gradually add meats cooked by roasting and grilling (but not barbecued or fried yet).  Avoid bits, which are burned or too brown.  Let your patient eat the meat with cooked vegetables and sauerkraut (or other fermented vegetables).

Start adding cold pressed olive oil to the meals, starting from a few drops per meal and gradually increasing the amount to 1-2 tablespoons per meal.

Introduce freshly pressed juices, starting from a few spoonfuls of carrot juice.  Make sure that the juice is clear, filter it well.  Let your patient drink it slowly or diluted with warm water or mixed with some homemade yogurt.  If well tolerated gradually increase to a full cup a day.  When a full cup of carrot juice is well tolerated try to add to it juice from celery, lettuce and fresh mint leaves.  Your patient should drink the juice on an empty stomach, so fist thing in the morning and middle of afternoon are good times.

Try to bake bread with ground almonds or any other nuts and seeds ground into flour.  The recipe (please look in recipe section of book) requires only four ingredients: 1) nut flour; 2) eggs; 3) piece of fresh winter squash, marrow or courgette (peeled, de-seeded and finely sliced); 4) some natural fat (ghee, butter, goose or duck fat) and some salt to taste.  Your patient should start from a small piece of bread per day and gradually increase the amount.

Fifth Stage:

If all the previous foods are well tolerated try to add cooked apple as an apple pure: peel and core ripe cooking apples and stew them with a bit of water until soft.  When cooked add some ghee to it and mash with a potato masher.  If ghee has not been introduced yet add duck or goose fat.  Start from a few spoonfuls a day.  Watch for any reaction.  If there is none gradually increase the amount.

Add raw vegetables starting from softer parts of lettuce and peeled cucumber.  Watch your patient's stool.  Again start from a small amount and gradually increase if well tolerated.  After those two vegetables are well tolerated gradually add other raw vegetables: carrot, tomato, onion, cabbage, etc.

If the juice made from carrot, celery, lettuce and mint is well tolerated, start adding fruit to it: apple, pineapple and mango.  Avoid citrus fruit at this stage.

Sixth stage:

If all the introduced foods are well tolerated try some peeled raw apple.  Gradually introduce raw fruit and more honey.

Gradually introduce baking cakes and other sweet things allowed on the diet.  Use dried fruit as a sweetener in the baking.
As I mentioned before, your patient may be able to move through the Introduction Diet faster or slower depending on the stool changes: let the diarrhea start clearing before moving to the next stage.  You may have to introduce some foods later than in this program depending on his/her sensitivities.  Make sure that you carry on with the soups and meat stock after your patient completed the Introduction Diet at least once a day.

After the Introduction Diet is completed and when your patient has more or less normal stools move into the Full GAPS Diet.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline kings daughter

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 02:37:16 AM »
Yes, we have tried it, for only 2 months, I believe it healed my 1 year old of his yeast, which he had since 1 month old.  After three days on the diet my two boys both woke up very sick..... I believe it was some form of die off reaction.  I am still somewhat on the diet, I just feel so much better, more energy, swollen tonsills shrunk, bowels much better for all of us, eyes brighter???, I also believe, the kids got along better while on the diet??????  It was kinds hard getting the meals prepared at first, probably easier if, before you start, you plan out your meals.  I hope this helps some.......

Offline Happy-N-England

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 06:22:00 AM »
Whiterock, can you give some links to some of the traditional foods / nourishing traditions type blogs you are referring to?  I would like to see what more people are saying about this diet. 
Thanks,
Happy

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 08:05:54 AM »
I was searching for a really neat blog that I had visited once but the link had been deleted from my favorites. So I was browsing a lot of NT-type blogs and saw it mentioned here and there but I didn't bookmark most of the blogs I saw. The reason I even looked up the GAPS website was because there wasn't really much info on the blogs and was curious to see what it was about.

Here are two that I happened to bookmark.

I think these are all the posts where she brings up GAPS:
http://www.cheeseslave.com/?s=GAPS&x=11&y=11

And here are a couple post on another blog:
http://oreganicthrifty.blogspot.com/search?q=GAPS

If you click on the individual posts, you may be able to found more at the blogs of people who have left comments.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:10:39 AM »
I'm so excited to see this thread!!  I just finished reading the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome!!  What an awesome book!!  I'm doing the diet in combination with my Breaking The Vicious Cycle book as well.  It's very closely based on the same diet.  We haven't added kefir or a probiotic yet, but we are seeing wonderful results so far.  I did start nuts a little too soon with my son, so I know I need to back off of the nuts since it is too soon for them right now.  My son was diagnosed with Aspergers, so I'm hoping this diet will heal his gut. 

I was just wondering if kefir that is fermented with dry milk for 24 hours still have casein in it?  I'm just kind of scared to give him kefir since he has been gluten free and casein free for almost two years now.  What do you think?  We are planning on getting a dairy goat soon when we can get a fence up.  Thanks so much for starting this thread.  Anyone who hasn't checked this book out should.  Well worth the money. 

So far, my son has been calmer than I have seen him in months.  I know something is going on in his gut.  His behavior is better and he seems to be feeling a little better.

I hope to be adding my son's recovery story after we finish this diet.  I know this will help him so much.  It's more work for mama, but anything is worth it for my son.

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 05:25:34 PM »
bump whiterock ;D
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
I don't know about dry milk kefir (I wouldn't use dry milk because of the damage done to it in processing). But if you keep your dairy kefir grains healthy and multiplying, then you can use some of them to make water kefir. Because your grains are dairy grains and not water grains, they will eventually die making water kefir. But, like I said, if you keep the other grains going you will have more to replace them. Check Dom's site to see if my memory is correct on this though.  ;D And since you'd have to worry about the sugar in the water kefir, I'm not sure it would be any better.  :-\

WR
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:18:28 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 04:03:39 AM »
Just wanted to post how well my Asperger son is doing on the diet.  So far we are on day 20 and have seen awesome results!!  I don't think this is short lived either. I think he is really really healing in his gut.  I took him off all of his supplements, and he is doing better than when we were on stuff.  I guess his gut couldn't absorb the supplements, and the nutrients just leaked right through his lining in his gut.   What a waste of money.  What's so surprising, is that he has been off his probiotics for 20 days and has had very formed stools, this normally wouldn't have happened without his probiotics.  I know TMI, but the color of his stools is turning to a normal brown color, instead of the pale yellow color it used to be.  I know this is a really good sign.  I will try probiotics once he hits the month mark.  I'm just so excited about this!! ;D ;D  This is a huge find for us!!  He is eating things that he normally couldn't tolerate: cooked apples, pear sauce, and ripe bananas.  We normally couldn't touch any fruit because of the sensitivities.  I know it's cooked fruit,  but hopefully in the near future his gut can handle raw fruit and more raw veggies.  Time will only tell.  Anyway, that's where we are at right now. 

I just wanted to post on some of the things that have gotten better: social skills, level of activity(much less hyperactivity), more focus, better eye contact, less fits, better control of blood sugar problems, and he seems to be digesting his food better even though he isn't taking supplements.  Wooohoooooo!!!   ;D

Misty

Misty

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »
Please, please, please, keep us updated on this, Misty!

BTW, how old is your son? I don't remember, but I was thinking he's around 6 years old, isn't he?

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 09:08:40 AM »
He is four, and I will keep everyone updated on his wonderful progress.

Misty

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 09:33:26 AM »
I thought this might be helpful for some.  This is a list of recommended foods and foods that aren't allowed while on the GAPS Diet: 

THE GAPS DIET

Natural Digestive Healing for Gut and Psychology Syndrome
The DietTHE DIET

Printer Friendly Version

RECOMMENDED FOODS

Almonds, including almond butter and oil
Apples
Apricots, fresh or dried
Artichoke, French
Asiago cheese
Asparagus
Aubergine (eggplant)
Avocados, including avocado oil
Bananas (ripe only with brown spots on the skin)
Beans, dried white (navy), string beans and lima
     beans
Beef, fresh or frozen
Beets or beetroot
Berries, all kinds
Black, white and red pepper: ground and pepper
     corns
Black radish
Blue cheese
Bok Choy
Brazil nuts
Brick cheese
Brie cheese
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Butter
Cabbage
Camembert cheese
Canned fish in oil or water only
Capers
Carrots
Cashew nuts, fresh only
Cauliflower
Cayenne pepper
Celeriac
Celery
Cellulose in supplements
Cheddar cheese
Cherimoya (custard apple or sharifa)
Cherries
Chestnuts
Chicken, fresh or frozen
Cinnamon
Citric acid
Coconut, fresh or dried (shredded) without any
     additives
Coconut milk
Coconut oil
Coffee, weak and freshly made, not instant
Collard greens
Colby cheese
Courgette
Coriander, fresh or dried
Cucumber
Dates, fresh or dried without any additives (not
     soaked in syrup)
Dill, fresh or dried
Duck, fresh or frozen
Edam cheese
Eggplant (aubergine)
Eggs, fresh
Filberts
Fish, fresh or frozen, canned in its juice or oil
Game, fresh or frozen
Garlic
Ghee, home-made
Gin, occasionally
Ginger root, fresh
Goose, fresh or frozen
Gorgonzola cheese
Gouda cheese
Grapefruit
Grapes
Havarti cheese
Hazelnuts
Herbal teas
Herbs, fresh or dried without additives
Honey, natural
Juices freshly pressed from permitted fruit and
     vegetables
Kale
Kiwi fruit
Kumquats
Lamb, fresh or frozen
Lemons
Lentils
Lettuce, all kinds
Lima beans (dried and fresh)
Limburger cheese
Limes
Mangoes
Meats, fresh or frozen
Melons
Monterey (Jack) cheese
Muenster cheese
Mushrooms
Mustard seeds, pure powder and gourmet types
     without any non-allowed ingredients
Nectarines
Nut flour or ground nuts (usually ground blanched
     almonds)
Nutmeg
Nuts, all kinds freshly shelled, not roasted, salted or
     coated
Olive oil, virgin cold-pressed
Olives preserved without sugar or any other non-
     allowed ingredients
Onions
Oranges
Papayas
Parmesan cheese
Parsley
Peaches
Peanut butter, without additives
Peanuts, fresh or roasted in their shells
Pears
Peas, dried split and fresh green
Pecans
Peppers (green, yellow, red, and orange)
Pheasant, fresh or frozen
Pickles, without sugar or any other non-allowed
     ingredients
Pigeon, fresh or frozen
Pineapples, fresh
Pork, fresh or frozen
Port du Salut cheese
Poultry, fresh or frozen
Prunes, dried without any additives or in their own 
     juice
Pumpkin
Quail, fresh or frozen
Raisins
Rhubarb
Roquefort cheese
Romano cheese
Satsumas
Scotch, occasionally
Shellfish, fresh or frozen
Spices, single and pure without any additives
Spinach
Squash (summer and winter)
Stilton cheese
String beans
Swiss cheese
Tangerines
Tea, weak freshly made, not instant
Tomato puree, pure without any additives apart
     from salt
Tomato juice, without any additives apart from salt
Tomatoes
Turkey, fresh or frozen
Turnips
Ugly fruit
Uncreamed cottage cheese (dry curd)
Vinegar (cider or white); make sure there is no
     allergy
Vodka, very occasionally
Walnuts
Watercress
Wine dry: red or white
Yogurt, home-made
Zucchini

FOODS TO AVOID

Acesulphame
Acidophilus milk
Agar-agar
Agave syrup
Algae - can aggravate an already disturbed immune
     system
Aloe Vera - contains mucilaginous polysaccharides
     as well as increasing the release of
     tumor necrosis factor which is associated with
     IBD inflammation and increased immune
     stimulation
Amaranth - is a grain substitute, contains starches
Apple juice - usually has sugar added during
     processing
Arrowroot - is a mucilaginous herb and loaded with
     starch
Aspartame
Astragalus - contains polysaccharides
Baked beans
Baker's yeast - contains saccharamyces cerevisae
Baking powder and raising agents of all kind
Balsamic vinegar - most found in stores have added
     sugar
Barley
Bean flour and sprouts
Bee pollen - irritating to a damaged gut
Beer
Bhindi or okra
Bicarbonate of soda
Bitter Gourd
Black eye beans
Bologna
Bouillon cubes or granules
Brandy
Buckwheat
Bulgur
Burdock root - contains FOS and mucilage
Butter beans
Buttermilk
Canellini beans
Canned vegetables and fruit
Carob
Carrageenan - is seaweed and high in
     polysaccharides
Cellulose gum
Cereals, including all breakfast cereals
Cheeses, processed and cheese spreads
Chestnut flour
Chevre cheese
Chewing gum - contain sugars or sugar substitutes
Chick peas
Chickory root - contains high amounts of FOS
Chocolate
Cocoa powder
Coffee, instant and coffee substitutes
Cooking oils
Cordials
Corn
Cornstarch
Corn syrup
Cottage cheese
Cottonseed
Cous-cous
Cream - contains lactose
Cream of Tartar
Cream cheese
Dextrose - in commercial products it is not the pure
     form
Drinks, soft
Faba beans
Feta cheese
Fish, preserved, smoked, salted, breaded and canned
     with sauces
Flour, made out of grains
FOS (fructooligosaccharides)
Fructose - extracted from corn and has a mixture of
     other trisaccharides
Fruit, canned or preserved
Garbanzo beans
Gjetost cheese
Grains, all
Gruyere cheese
Ham
Hot dogs
Ice-cream, commercial
Jams
Jellies
Jerusalem artichoke
Ketchup, commercially available
Lactose
Liqueurs
Margarines and butter replacements
Meats, processed, preserved, smoked and salted
Millet
Milk from any animal, soy, rice, canned coconut milk
Milk, dried
Molasses
Mozzarella cheese
Mungbeans
Neufchatel cheese
Nutra-sweet (aspartame)
Nuts, salted, roasted and coated
Oats
Okra - mucilaginous food
Parsnips
Pasta, of any kind
Pectin
Postum
Potato white
Potato sweet
Primost cheese
Quinoa - 60% starch
Rice
Ricotta cheese
Rye
Saccharin
Sago
Sausages, commercially available
Seaweed
Semolina
Sherry
Soda soft drinks
Sour cream commercial
Soy
Spelt
Starch
Sugar or sucrose of any kind
Tapioca - starch
Tea, instant
Triticale
Turkey loaf
Vegetables, canned or preserved
Wheat
Wheat germ
Whey, powder or liquid
Yams
Yogurt, commercial
While this diet is very close to the SCD, there are a few changes.  One important difference is that the GAPS diet removes casein in addition to lactose in the beginning stages of the diet. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:36:12 AM by mamaoffour »

Offline Linguist77

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 09:05:58 AM »
Me too!!!  ;D  *jumping up and down*

I haven't had time to post, mostly *because* of doing this diet (and trying to sell a house and having my inlaws arrive from Sweden), but we are on Day 15 and doing fantastic.

Can you believe my hyper-allergic children are eating egg yolks now? And winter squash? And even ... drum roll, please ... coconut oil?

I am flipping out. I'll try to post more updates soon. I was going to start a new thread, but then I saw this one. We're doing the Intro Diet, stage 3 or 4 right now, with the exception that we're not even going to introduce ghee for several months.

I wish I had known about this years ago. We're even going to set aside the chelation and do this first (and maybe only this).

Not that we all need more reading to do  ;) but there is a really great Yahoo group for this: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/GAPShelp/messages

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the website www.GAPSdiet.com has lots of advice and the complete Intro Diet not found in the GAPS book.

And here's a link to the article that Natasha Campbell-McBride had published in Wise Traditions. It describes our *exact* situation. http://gapsdiet.com/Resources.html (Click on the GAPS in Medical Knowledge link.)

One little tip: if you're doing this with allergic kids, you might want to make sure you have something waterproof on their beds. There may be a lot of nighttime pee for a couple of weeks. That's finally tapering off here. I have one dry twin now, and the other two boys are still wet but not soaked in the mornings.

OK, that's it for now. I hope you could follow my ramble ... and now back to my busy life!  ::)

Laura
Laura in Arizona

www.theylivedintents.com

M, age 4: "I'm a good tornado that looks like a frog!"

Offline Linguist77

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:16:16 AM »
And let me just add ...  ::)  :D

Please consider doing this diet if your kids have any allergies (food, pollen, whatever), ADHD symptoms, asthma, eczema or other skin conditions, or extreme anxiety. It's all related to the condition of the gut, and the best thing about it?

IT CAN BE FIXED.

See, I didn't know or believe this before. We've been on avoidance diets, rotation diets, everything I could find that might be helpful for the past 7 years, since our first son was born allergic. The GFCF diet will not fix things. It just maintains a "safe" status quo that you're stuck with forever. I don't even think the SCD would be effective enough without the Intro Diet.

I was afraid to remove grains, because our GF grains were such a huge staple for us. I didn't want to starve myself or the boys. They're active and hungry children, after all. When they come in from swordfighting  ;D outside, they want FOOD. For the first week, we had a lot of grouchies (can anyone say yeast?) and they cried and felt hungry (so did I). But we adjusted quickly, and now we are filling up on blended veggie/broth soups, egg yolks, fermented veggies, coconut oil, pemmican, liver, meatballs, avocadoes, pancakes, and other things. The boys actually refused extra pumpkin soup this morning because they were full.

Another thing: the children are *happy* most of the time. Once the die-off was over, they became so much easier to live with. We still go through cycles of die-off, like when we increased the probiotic last week, but it was over quickly.

Just an encouragement to those who might need help jumping in!  :) And now I reallly need to get started making our lunch soup ...

Laura
Laura in Arizona

www.theylivedintents.com

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 09:26:59 AM »
Laura:  Oh my gosh :o :o  I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were doing.  I was fixing to send you a link about the diet because I knew how allergic your children were.  I'm sooooooooooo happy for you!!  It beats the GFCF Diet doesn't it.  Much more work, but they can eat so much more.  How long how you been doing the diet?

Were are on Day 21 right now, so far this has been the most sucessful remedy for Noah.  Praise God!!  i think we are still detoxing some what, but he is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much calmer these days.

We are still having problems with him wetting the bed like almost every night.  I have wondered about this as well.  I think it has to do with yeast die off.  I have been getting him up around 10-11 at night to go to the bathroom.  For a while I was washing sheets every day :P 

I'm so glad to read about you and your family.  I now understand the importance of gut healing.  This is probably why Noah gets nothing out of his supplements, his poor gut couldn't absorb anything, and it ended up as a toxin in his body instead of something that should be helping.

Anyway, glad to hear you jump on as well.  We should right a book huh? :o

Misty

Offline Linguist77

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »
Hi Misty!

You changed your profile pic and I was a bit confused about who you were at first. Got it now! (Yep, I'm slow.)  ;) Thanks for thinking of us!

I'm so thrilled for you and Noah! Are all your kids on this diet? Are you on it, too? I've decided to do it with the boys because I know my gut is a terrible mess in spite of all I've tried to do for it over the years. I want to have more babies someday and I don't want to sensitize them to all these foods in utero, so the leaky gut has to be fixed. And hey, this is cheaper than chelation anyway!

From what I've read, the nighttime peeing may last a while for some. I'm washing lots of stinky sheets still, and we're trying to sell this house. Doesn't really go together!

Also, I've noticed that I don't have to get up twice a night any more, and I'm sleeping better. There seem to be only positives with this way of eating ... except the fact that I'm living in the kitchen. ;) We are at Day 15, BTW.

Hey, you can make it easier on yourself by making really big pots of soup or stew. My kids have huge texture issues when it comes to soup, so I'm just blending ours. Then they get it in a mug, and any meat they have is first simmered in broth and then given to them separately in a little bowl.

Also, I recommend getting a couple of stainless steel vacuum bottles (Thermos makes some) and using them for food to go. We also bring pemmican with us. Oh, and I make lots of meatballs and simmer them in broth. Then I can just bring them along if we have to go somewhere. We pretty much always have a huge pot of stock simmering, too, so that I can just dip some out when we need it, and I freeze extra stock in ice cube trays for backup. It's working well.

My husband wants me to write a book, but I'm still learning too much right now! For now, I think I'll just promote the GAPS book and the Intro Diet. I'm already telling everyone I know ... and even my family members are starting to take notice, because they know how bad off the boys have always been with their allergies.

Gotta go ... I look forward to talking with you more about this! Keep updating here, and I will too!

Laura
Laura in Arizona

www.theylivedintents.com

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »
Laura,

Just wanted you to know that Noah is also going through a regression of some kind. He has been regressing for about the last 10 days :(  We are still seeing lots of improvements in language, behavior, and focus, but something is really going on right now!!  The gibberish talking is driving me nuts!!  I know this diet is working regardless of what we are going through right now.  I thought he wouldn't regress until month two, but

\ it is happening right now.  He is still much calmer, but his leg cramps are back again ??? ??? 

Anyway, I just wanted to send some encouragement your way because I know exactly what you are going through.  Don't give up on the diet, it will lead to complete gut healing once the bacteria and yeast die completely off.  We are in this together!! :P :P  It has been 40 days since we started the GAPS/SCD Diet and we are still seeing good regardless of the regression, so I know that's good  news!  Hope all is well with you.  Please update me again!

Mother Warriers!!!

Misty

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 06:41:49 AM »
My 3yo ds was just diagnosed with IBD. He has 31 IgG food allergies. He is very small (27lbs). He is covered with eczema and is constantly whiny. He gets runny nose/congestion/wheeze every couple of weeks. He has speech issues (mostly articulation related). We have been gf/cf/sf for almost 7 months.  The first few months it seemed to really be helping. He wasn't as hyper and didn't get sick for 4 months!! After 4 months it didn't seem to be helping anymore. He is now back to getting every cold that goes around. I tried the SCD intro diet and stage 1 for a week but he lost 1lb and he doesn't have any weight to lose so we stopped. I am overwhelmed with this new diagnosis of IBD. He goes for further testing at the end of December (endoscopy, colonoscopy, pill cam). I noticed that some of you said that SCD/GAPS was easier than gf/cf ??? I can't figure out how.  I have 6 kids and I am really struggling to cook gf/cf/sf much less SCD/GAPS.  I just don't even know where to start.  Should I try SCD again? What is he keeps losing weight? Will it heal his gut even though he has IBD? I always knew that he had major yeast issues/food allergies and I knew he had leaky gut but I never expected this diagnosis of IBD.  I'm just so frustrated.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me??

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
bump
Who Needs God?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 05:08:10 PM »
Firecatx,

I'm pretty new to this GAPS thing.  I just ordered the book in the hopes it will help my son.  I can give you some wisdom regarding your son's weight, etc. for the moment.  My son also has 30+ food allergies.  It's very difficult to deal with.  We have been following a GF/CF diet for over a year and after the first 6 months found out we just added 20 new allergens to his list!  ARggggghhhh.  Clearly, leaky gut is a huge issue but there is also something autoimmune going on.  It's not normal for someone to continue to develop allergies after an elimination diet.  From there one goes to autoimmune dysfunctions.  I believe, from reading up on the GAP diet both here and on the web that they are on to something.  While it may be difficult to do with a large family (can't tell you, I'm not there yet as far as starting the diet), I have learned that it's almost just easier to cook separate meals for the child that needs them.  More often then not I have left overs and can feed them to that child the next day or the day after (if I'm rotating something in particular).  There just comes a point with so many allergies that it's hard to make everyone eat that way.  We have six people in our family.

As far as weight loss goes - we are in the same boat.  Our son is older (he's 9) but has lost 5lbs in the last 6 months and was really losing ground.  What seems to have helped is adding coconut fats to his diet.  I found Artisana Coconut Goji Bliss that I use like a spread on rice cakes, or tapioca breads, etc.  Sometimes just by the tbls by mouth.  The added fat as stopped the weight loss.  Also, we will be adding a non-allergenic protein drink to his diet in the near future to help maintain.  If your son is allergic to coconut go for other oils.  Udo's oil (sunflower), cod liver oil, grape seed oil, etc. etc. etc.  Add them to everything you make for him and cook with them daily.  By and large though, we've been able to use coconut successfully.  They make a coconut butter which is the whole coconut (not just the oil) made into a butter like spread.  It works very well also.  He puts it on pancakes, breads, crackers, etc.  We are totally GF/CF for most of our family now.  The weight loss can be halted (even if he doesn't gain) by adding in adequate fats and protein drinks (with things he's not allergic to in them).  Today we just started our son (really our whole family) on raw food drinks for the extra nutrition and healing power.  I'm using berries, apples, water, spinach and romaine lettuce (not all at once) to make these drinks.  It tasted really good.  I'm hoping the added raw enzymes and nutrition will also help to heal his gut.

I actually wouldn't worry about the IBD right now.  I know that sounds odd.  But truthfully, if you heal the gut issues, the rest of his body will heal.  I would be very wary of putting my kid under a scope (we have considered this for our son as well) without a more natural doctor's opinion first.  If he has leaky gut a scope isn't going to show much because quite honestly, gastro docs rarely believe in leaky gut.  My guess is they'll find his gut is inflamed and that's about it.  But you already know that. 

My best recommendation would be to find your son a DAN doctor.  DAN stands for Defeat Autism Now.  While that sounds unlike what you need, these doctors deal very heavily in gut issues so they know what to look for and how to treat them better then anyone I can think of.  We are flying to see one in another state in two weeks.  My regular doctor who is an osteopath told me a few weeks ago that he thought the best thing I could do was get my son to this naturepath.  He said there is truly no one in the medical community that would be able to help us heal my son.  I thought he was very honest and I know he believes what he told me to be true.  I have the advantage of him being a DO which really helps.  If it were me, I would save my money on all those tests and use it to find and go see a DAN doctor ASAP. 

As far as the eczema goes, the best thing I've found to help my sons is dead sea salt baths, dry him off, then apply Burts Bees Banana Hand Cream or Burts Bees Coconut Foot Cream.  My son prefers the hand cream as he says it doesn't sting and the foot cream did at times.  However, the foot cream healed him very fast compared to the hand cream.  Remember that eczema is a sign of toxins coming out of his body which simply indicates he needs to detox.  The other thing is add daily sulfur to your son's diet.  Onions and leeks are high in sulfur.  You can also buy homeopathic sulfur pellets online (I get my from luckyvitamin.com).  You can give your son a couple of these pellets (how old is he?) every 3-4 hours and this will also help with his gut, his eczema and detoxing.  Sulfur also helps with the eczema itch and will take away hives. 

Don't know if any of this helped, but hang in there.  Healing can and will take place.  It just takes persistance and patience.  I would not look to the medical community for this one because they will give you pills and never get to healing.  I'll post back after we've started the GAPS diet with how it's working (or not).

God bless,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Chadycake

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
  I just ordered the book in the hopes it will help my son. 

Where did you order the book from?  I'm not finding it at any of my usual online places.  Thanks.
~W
"Daddy, when we die, will we have eyes... so we can see God?" -Caleb, age 4

I'm blogging recipes and natural health info at http://concoctionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 06:46:41 PM »
  I just ordered the book in the hopes it will help my son. 

Where did you order the book from?  I'm not finding it at any of my usual online places.  Thanks.
~W

I finally had to get it off of ebay.  It was $33.65 with free shipping.  Here's the link:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Gut-and-Psychology-Syndrome-Dr-Natasha-Campbell-McBr_W0QQitemZ260310270954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

There's one other posting that shows this book also.  There is one left on this link.  I do not know how many are left on the other posting.  Yeah, this was a hard book to find!

patti

p.s.  I also found she sells it on her website.  I think I googled the whole title and then found her website.  Good grief.  I need ginkgo.  I can't remember how I got to her site!!   :P
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 06:54:56 PM »
Laura,

I'm curious, since your kids have food allergies also, how did you deal with them and this diet?  One thing I keep wondering about is a lot of what she says to eat (I haven't read the book yet, just her website) is stuff my son is allergic to and stuff she says to stay away from (rice) is a staple for him since he can't have any grains.  What did you do?  Did your sons react?  If Luke gets anything he's allergic to he's gone for a full day.  I mean almost unable to walk from exhaustion, headaches, dizzy, etc.  So I fear giving him anything he's allergic to.  Not to mention hives and eczema.  What did you do? 

My son doesn't have autism, but his allergies have reached the autoimmune stage so I'm hoping this book will enlighten me more. 

patti

Offline Chadycake

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 11:48:25 AM »
Thank you, Patti!  :)

Kind of an expensive book :-\... guess I'll have to wait til after Christmas. 

~W
"Daddy, when we die, will we have eyes... so we can see God?" -Caleb, age 4

I'm blogging recipes and natural health info at http://concoctionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 06:05:49 PM »

gastro docs rarely believe in leaky gut.  My guess is they'll find his gut is inflamed and that's about it.  But you already know that. 

My best recommendation would be to find your son a DAN doctor.  DAN stands for Defeat Autism Now.  While that sounds unlike what you need, these doctors deal very heavily in gut issues so they know what to look for and how to treat them better then anyone I can think of. 

Patti,
Thank you for your encouraging words :) Sometimes it's just nice to know I'm not the only one going through this. 
We are actually seeing a DAN dr. It is a ways from where we live but so worth it. The ped. gastro dr. there believes in leaky gut but also thinks that my ds has a small bowel disease after reviewing the 5 blood tests and 9 different stool tests we did!! It took us weeks to do all the testing but it gave us lots of results. Are you going for a GI workup with your DAN dr.? Does your DAN dr. suggest the GAPS diet? Do you plan on putting your whole family on it?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »

Patti,
Thank you for your encouraging words :) Sometimes it's just nice to know I'm not the only one going through this. 
We are actually seeing a DAN dr. It is a ways from where we live but so worth it. The ped. gastro dr. there believes in leaky gut but also thinks that my ds has a small bowel disease after reviewing the 5 blood tests and 9 different stool tests we did!! It took us weeks to do all the testing but it gave us lots of results. Are you going for a GI workup with your DAN dr.? Does your DAN dr. suggest the GAPS diet? Do you plan on putting your whole family on it?

I don't know what the DAN doc will do.  We have had stool tests done (no results yet) and tons of blood work for metals.  All the blood work came back negative for heavy metals but I don't believe it.  When we started a heavy metal detox he had detox symptoms so bad he was sick for 4 days.  As soon as we stopped the detox, he was fine.  So we still believe he has metal toxicity. 

From everything I've read, DAN doctors don't agree with the GAPS diet.  But I cannot say that about this guy.  I plan on taking him the book and asking.  I was struck but what a woman said in an above post about the DAN diet not working and the GAPS working.  The prinicpal of the GAPS makes much more sense to me then the idea of avoidance for the rest of one's life.  I believe that God has given our bodies the amazing ability to heal if we feed them properly. 

So we'll see.  If we do GAPS I will be putting my whole family on it because they all have some allergies (nothing like my son's). 

I'll post back after the 5th when we see the doc. 

patti

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 09:13:06 AM »
My 3yo ds was tentatively diagnosed with IBD (possibly crohns) last week. This was based on blood tests and stool samples. However, my heart (God) is telling me that crohn's isn't the problem. I have Breaking the Vicious Cycle and GAPS (book/video) and I really feel like that is the way to go. He is supposed to have a colonoscopy/pill cam endoscopy (over $6000) to further investigate. I hate to put him through that.
A quick background on my ds.....
Induced labor, 3 bags of IV antibiotics, eye infection at 1 week, jaundice, bad eczema from birth. Over 30 IgG food allergies and on and on. He weighs 27lbs (tiny)! I feel we are dealing with major leaky gut and yeast! We have been gf/cf/sf for 6 months. We saw great leaps the first couple of months then it leveled off.
I want to do what's best for him but all the testing seems so invasive and I sure don't want him to be on steroids for years etc. Have you dealt with this kind of situation before? Any words of wisdom?
Cathy

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »
I hate to put him through that.
 I feel we are dealing with major leaky gut and yeast! We have been gf/cf/sf for 6 months. We saw great leaps the first couple of months then it leveled off.
I want to do what's best for him but all the testing seems so invasive and I sure don't want him to be on steroids for years etc.Cathy

Cathy,

I really think you've already answered your own question.  You are his mommy.  You know him better then anyone.  Why do all the testing now without having first tried the GAPS diet at least?  I think you're right on as far as the leaky gut and yeast go.  We have been GF/CF etc for a year and found the same thing you did.  It worked for 6 months and then stopped.  So we are also going to go the next step and do GAPS and see what happens. 

I guess my point is that you can always have those tests done.  If you try GAPS for 6 mos. or so and there is zero improvement, you can always choose to have the tests done anyway.  I guess I'm just saying I'd follow your mommy instincts before subjecting him to something you feel very uncomfortable about. 

We had to make this decision with our daughter regarding whether we would put her through a VCUG test this year.  We decided against it and found out that her problems were constipation related.  A VCUG is very traumatic due to do the area involved in testing so we were so thanksful we held back on the test.  Just something to think about. 

hth

patti

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 05:30:21 AM »
Help me understand the intro diet! I have read the book and belong to the gaps yahoo group but for some reason I can't wrap my mind around how to implement the intro diet. 
How long are you supposed to be on the intro diet?
How quickly do you move through the stages of the intro diet?
After the intro, how quickly do you move through the stages of the "real" gaps diet?

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 06:16:17 AM »
I pulled this from one of the GAPS Yahoo groups blog; it acutally written by Natasha herself.  She kind of simplifies the intro diet and all the other stages in one long document.  I found it really really helpful.  I will post if for you.  It is kind of long, but it should help answer any questions you may have.  Here it is.......

[/colorGAPS Introduction – Checklist Approach
Reformatted from document provided to Nancy by Dr Campbell-McBride
July 2008
BACKGROUNDER
● Food intolerances and allergies are a result of damaged gut lining. The Introduction Diet will allow you
to heal your gut lining fairly quickly. If, when you introduce a new food, you experience a drop in
energy, constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain or any other typical-for-you symptom, then you are not
ready for that food to be introduced. Wait for a few days and try again.
● I recommend that most GAPS patients follow the Introduction Diet before going into the Full GAPS
Diet.
● For people with diarrhea or severe constipation, following the Introduction Diet fully is essential. It
reduces symptoms quickly and speeds up the healing process in the digestive system. (Even in healthy
people, a tummy bug or profuse diarrhea can be resolved quickly and permanently without needing any
medication simply by following the introduction for a few days.)
● Those without severe digestive problems can move through the Introduction Diet quite quickly.
However, please do not be tempted to skip the Introduction Diet and go straight into the Full GAPS
Diet. The Introduction Diet will give you the best chance to optimize the healing process in the gut and
the rest of the body. I see many cases where skipping the Introduction Diet leads to long-term lingering
problems difficult to deal with.
TIPS
● The homemade sauerkraut, used from the beginning onward, takes at least five days to become ready.
Start now! (Recipe in Yahoo forum 'recipes' section or page 139 in GAPS book.)
● Only foods listed in this document are allowed. You must not have anything else.
● In people with diarrhea, the digestive system is very sensitive. Fibrous, cold or very acid foods should be
avoided.
● Supplements, as well as items from Stage Two onward, are to be introduced cautiously and
progressively. For example, cooked apple puree would start with a few spoonfuls on the first day and, if
no reaction, working up from there. For starting amounts per item, see notes at end of some recipes, in
'supplements' file, etc.
● If when you introduce a new food, you get diarrhea, pain or any other digestive symptoms, then you are
not ready for that food to be introduced. Wait a week and try again.
● Meat stock aids digestion and has been known for centuries as a healing folk remedy for the digestive
tract. Chicken stock is particularly gentle on the stomach. (Do not use commercially available soup stock
granules or bullion cubes. They are highly processed and full of detrimental ingredients.)
● If yeast overgrowth is suspected, limit sweet items (honey, fruit) at the beginning.
● Chew your food very thoroughly. This simple measure can be amazingly effective in removing many
digestive problems.
RECIPES
Recipes not included in this document can be found in the GAPShelp Yahoo Group files.
FOOD SENSITIVITIES – INSTRUCTIONS & SIMPLE TEST
Where food sensitivities are present, you may have to introduce some foods later than this program suggests.
If you suspect an allergy to any particular food, before introducing it do the Sensitivity Test.
Sensitivity Test:
At nighttime before bed, take a drop of the food (if the food is solid, mash and mix with a bit of
water) and place it on the inside of a wrist. Let the drop dry on the skin, then go to sleep. In the
morning, check the spot. If there is an “angry red” reaction, then avoid that food for a few weeks
(then retest).
If there is no reaction, then go ahead and introduce it starting with one teaspoon. After the first
teaspoon, wait for 2-3 days. If there are no reactions which you can definitely assign to that
food, then introduce more. Gradually increase the amount.
PACING
You can move through this program as fast or as slow as your condition will permit, depending on your typical
symptoms, bloating and stool changes. Let symptoms clear before moving to the next item or stage. You may,
for example, spend just three days, or a full week or longer, at any point in the program.
Depending on your sensitivities, you may have to introduce some foods later than outlined. See 'Food
Sensitivities', above.
Editor's Note: Determining when to move forward is more an art than a science. In my son, food reactions can
involve any of the following: mushier or looser stools; night wakings; incontinence; extreme and sudden
tantrums during which his eyes indicate overwhelm and fear; snaking backward on his belly across the floor; etc.
My own standard is to see four days clear of these before introducing a new food.
SUPPLIES FOR STARTING
● probiotic
● filtered or mineral water
● probiotic foods (see end of this document)
● boiled meat (free of antibiotics, hormones, etc)
● meat bones
● salt
● peppercorns
● vegetables (any permitted ones that you like and have no known sensitivity to)
● garlic
● fresh ginger root
● optional: apple cider vinegar and/or whole lemon
● optional: honey
EVERY MORNING
Start the day with
● a cup of still mineral or filtered water, warm or at room temperature*, with a slice of lemon
● probiotic
Drink the water slowly, “chewing” every mouthful.
*Cold will aggravate the condition.
FIRST 1-7 DAYS OR UNTIL DIARRHEA (if any) CLEARS, AS OFTEN AS DESIRED:
● meat stock (see intro recipes) as a warm or cold drink with, and between, meals
● homemade soup with vegetables in a homemade meat stock (see intro recipes)
● boiled meat
● warm meat stock with juice from fermented vegetables (or, if using homemade yogurt/kefir, these)
● between meals: ginger tea (see intro recipes) with a little honey (optional)
PROGRESSIVE ADDITIONS
Continue as above and adding, in the following order, one new item at a time. If a reaction occurs to any given
item, skip the item for now, return to immediately previous range until symptoms subside, then move to the next
item.
[Stage 2]
□ raw organic, free range egg yolks, preferably added to soup or cup of meat stock. Start from 1 egg yolk a day
and gradually increase until you are having an egg yolk with every bowl of soup. Note: There is no need to limit
number of egg yolks per day, as they absorb quickly almost without needing any digestion and will provide your
patient with wonderful and most needed nutrition.
□ soft-boiled (whites cooked; yolks still runny) eggs in the soups
□ stews and casseroles (GAPS page 133) made with meats, vegetables, salt and fresh (only) herbs with some
probiotic food added to each serving. The fat content of these meals must be quite high. (The more fresh animal
fats your patient consumes, the quicker he or she will recover.)
□ increased amount of juice from sauerkraut or other fermented vegetables or, if using homemade yogurt or
kefir, increased amounts of these.
□ fermented fish, starting with one piece a day and gradually increasing.
□ homemade ghee (GAPS page 132), starting with 1 teaspoon a day and gradually increasing.
[Stage 3]
□ ripe avocado mashed into soups, starting with 1-3 teaspoons and gradually increasing the amount. As avocado
has fibre in it, watch your stool with this. Note: Fibre may cause constipation or diarrhea.
□ nut-butter pancakes/crepes, starting with one per day and gradually increasing the amount.
□ eggs scrambled with plenty of ghee, goose fat, or duck fat. Serve with avocado and cooked vegetables.
□ cooked onion (particularly good for the digestive system and the immune system). Melt 3 tablespoons of duck
fat or ghee in a pan. Add sliced large white onion. Cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes on low heat.
□ homemade sauerkraut and/or other fermented vegetables. Start from a small amount, gradually increasing to
1-2 tablespoons per every meal.
[Stage 4]
□ meats cooked by roasting (baking) and grilling (not barbecued or fried yet). Avoid bits which are burned or
too brown. Eat the meat with cooked vegetables and sauerkraut or fermented vegetables.
□ cold pressed olive oil. Add to meals, starting from a few drops per meal and gradually increasing the amount
to 1-2 tablespoons per meal.
□ freshly pressed juices, starting with 1/3 cup carrot juice. Make sure that the juice is clear (fibre-free); filter it
well. Drink it slowly or diluted with warm water. If well tolerated, gradually increase to a full cup a day. When a
full cup of carrot juice is well tolerated, add to it juice from celery, lettuce and fresh mint leaves. Drink juice on
an empty stomach (first thing in the morning, middle of afternoon, etc), “chewing” every mouthful.
□ bread (GAPS book page 142) baked with any one type of nut or seed ground into flour; eggs; fresh winter
squash, marrow or courgette (peeled, de-seeded and finely sliced); natural fat (ghee, goose or duck fat); salt.
Start with a small piece of bread and gradually increase the amount.
[Stages 5 & 6]
□ raw vegetables, starting with a small amount of peeled cucumber and tomato. Watch your stool. If well
tolerated, gradually increase. After those two vegetables are well tolerated, gradually add other raw vegetables:
carrot, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Make sure you chew them well.
□ cooked apple puree. Peel and core ripe cooking apples and stew them with a bit of water until soft. When
cooked, add some ghee (or, if not introduced, duck or goose fat) to it and mash with a potato masher. Start with a
few spoonfuls a day. Watch for any reaction. If there is none gradually increase the amount.
□ If the juice made from carrot, celery, lettuce and mint is well tolerated, start adding fruit to it: apple, pineapple
and mango. Avoid citrus fruit at this stage.
[Stage 7 & 8]
□ if all the introduced foods are well tolerated, add peeled raw apple. Chew it well.
□ other raw fruit
□ more honey
□ cakes and other permitted sweets
MOVING ON
Once the above stages are completed and your main symptoms have subsided, move into the full diet. Make sure
that you carry on with the soups and meat stock at least once a day after completion of the Introduction Diet.
For a dairy introduction progression, which apart from ghee would not begin until you have been on the diet at
least 6-8 weeks, please see GAPS page 98 (9th Edition).
CONTINUE TO AVOID
➢ Sugar and anything that contains it.
➢ Molasses, maple syrup, corn syrup or any other syrup.
➢ Aspartame. It is a potent brain toxin.
➢ Sweets, cakes, cookies, chocolates, ice creams –other than those made at home with permitted
ingredients.
➢ Beer and spirits. (You can, however, occasionally have a good quality wine with a meal.)
➢ Tinned and processed foods. Always read the ingredients label. Beware of sugar, lactose, maltose,
starch, corn flour, preservatives, flavourings, colours, yeast. It is best not to eat processed foods at all.
➢ Grains and pseudo-grains: rice, corn, rye, oats, wheat, buckwheat, quinoa, millet, couscous, spelt,
semolina, tapioca, etc, and anything made with these. After about two years on the diet you may be able
to slowly reintroduce fermented buckwheat, millet and quinoa, but not wheat, rye or rice.
➢ Breakfast cereals are highly processed products and are full of sugar, salt, trans-fatty acids and other
harmful substances. They should be out of your diet forever.
➢ Starchy vegetables and anything made of them: potatoes, parsnips, yams, Jerusalem artichoke, sweet
potato. After having been on the diet about two years, you may be able to introduce new potatoes.
➢ Coffee is a strong irritant for the digestive tract, so try to avoid it. Strong tea is not generally advisable,
either. Natural herb teas (no flavourings added) and ginger tea are fine. Ginger tea is a well-known folk
remedy for digestive problems.
➢ Soft drinks are not allowed at all –they are full of sugar and chemicals, which are damaging to your
system.
➢ Anything with colours, preservatives, flavourings and other chemicals.
➢ Soya and anything made out of it. Soy interferes with thyroid function and negatively affects hormonal
balance. Try to avoid all synthetic estrogens, such as those found in soy, many prescription drugs,
domestic cleaning chemicals, laundry detergents, toiletries, etc. [For info on alternatives, see the
document 'Detoxing' in the GAPShelp Yahoo Group files.]
➢ Pasteurized milk. Note: After 6-8 weeks on the diet, you may begin to cautiously introduce lactose-free
dairy products. Raw and organic are recommended. [In the Ninth Edition of GAPS, please see page 98
for one introductory schedule for dairy. It is believed that NCM has since revised this schedule. For
more info, please post to the GAPShelp Yahoo Group.]
➢ Fruit juices, apart from freshly pressed. Unfortunately, fruit juices not freshly pressed by you are a
source of processed sugars and can contain a lot of fungi and moulds in them, which you might react to.
➢ Beans and pulses. These are generally hard to digest. The two varieties you can have are white
(navy/haricot) beans, fermented and cooked at home, and fresh green beans. Commercially available
baked beans have almost 40% sugar and should be avoided. You can make your own baked beans at
home.
*Probiotic Foods – Backgrounder
Probiotic foods are essential to introduce right from the beginning.
They can be dairy based or vegetable based.
To avoid any reactions introduce probiotic foods gradually, starting from 1-2 teaspoons a day for 2-5 days, then
3-4 teaspoons a day for 2-5 days and so on until you can add a few teaspoons of the probiotic food into every
cup of meat stock and every bowl of soup.
If your patient is ready to introduce dairy, then use your homemade yoghurt and kefir.
If dairy is still out, then into every cup of meat stock or soup add juice from your homemade sauerkraut,
fermented vegetables or vegetable medley (see 'recipes' files).
Make sure that the food is not too hot when adding the probiotic foods, as the heat would destroy the beneficial
probiotic bacteria.]

Let me know if this is helpful to you

Blessings,
Misty