Author Topic: 3 days of vomiting in 3 year old  (Read 33215 times)

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
3 days of vomiting in 3 year old
« on: September 02, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
My 3 year old daughter has been vomiting for 3 days.  All that is coming up now is bile and whaterver  small amounts of water/tea/kefir I allow her.  She is looking pale, eyes are hollow and she is crying in thirst.  She has a fever on and off.  I am thinking of trying the garlic enema (after my 17 year old daughter leaves the house this evening as she can't believe I am thinking of doing that to her poor little sister!!! :D)

However, I am wondering if her stomach is just in a puking cycle here and if the enema will be useless.   What can I do to calm her stomach?  She loves the rise and shine tea from bulkherbstore, but throws up even small sips of that.  I do have the sweet sleep tea, some peppermint in the garden, some chamomile, some tummy tune up and pepto bismol (she just puked that up - but was impressed to have had "pretty puke".)  She's had so little of anything that I am starting to worry.  Any other ideas?

Offline queentea

• Adept
Re: 3 days of vomiting in 3 year old
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 01:36:54 PM »
I've had GREAT results with TTU in yogurt.  I just empty a whole capsule into about two bites of vanilla yogurt and that seems to do the trick.  I would give it right after she gets sick to give it "longer" time to work in the tummy.  I have heard that there is a very nasty stomach virus going around. My BIL was in the ER to be re-hydrated.  They have now ordered some TTU also!  I'll be praying for your little one!  Don't know about the enema, I haven't attempted that one yet :-\

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 01:43:43 PM »
I am the first to recommend treating at home, but your description is somewhat alarming:  "Pale, hollow eyes, crying in thirst".  3 days of vomiting is a long time for a little one, well for anyone, and this makes me feel very concerned.  As I am sure most already know, dehydration can become life-threatening very quickly, so it is good you are noting her appearance.  

This may sound strange, but how does her breath smell?  Obviously all the vomiting she has done will make her breath smell bad, but it is good to check her breath as she exhales.  Some people can detect the off smell when a person or animal begins to suffer damage from dehydration or liver problems caused by dehydration.  If she has an unusual "sicky-sweet alcohol" odor to her breath, I would immediately take her in.

If she hasn't had diarrhea, an enema should help hydrate her.  I have never used the garlic enemas before so can't give a thumbs up or down from personal experience...  Whatever enema you do, make sure you keep her calm and quiet as you do it, because you don't want her expending energy fighting the procedure - and you don't want her to strain and loose the water...  

If she doesn't show an almost immediate improvement in her appearance, I would really consider taking her in for IV fluids.  It is also possible to give fluids at home, but unless you have seen it done and feel confident, it is not a good idea.  

Also, in the meanwhile, if you aren't already...  To help soothe her mouth and make her feel less thirsty, I would give her ice to suck on.  She really needs electrolytes, so frozen pedialyte would be better than plain ice.  (You can also make your own electrolyte drink, but don't have the recipe handy at the moment -- will look it up and post in a few minutes if I can find it.)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 02:25:15 PM by RunAmokFarm »
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline SteveTallent

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 01:57:25 PM »
Enemas are great for hydrating. In fact, they are the fastest way to get large amounts of fluid into a person. Even doctors use them for those dying of dehydration. The colon has enormous capacity for absorption of fluids. In fact, if you send fluids down the other direction, very little water will be absorbed until it gets to the colon.

Electrolytes are for the most part just salts. Put table salt in water or juice and you have your own homemade rehydrating drink. Half a teaspoon per 8oz should be enough.
Any health info, or dosage recommendations are strictly my opinion and are not to be construed as the opinion or recommendation of Beeyoutiful.com unless otherwise stated.

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »
If giving fluids orally, it is good to start with small amounts, about 1 tablespoon every 10 minutes, gradually increasing if the child keeps the fluid down.  Generally, a child weighing between 15-20 pounds needs between 1½ to 2 ounces of fluid every hour.  If she is between 20-40 pounds, then she should have between 2-4 ounces every hour.

I tried to find the old electrolyte recipe, but can't seem to find it.  A quick search on the internet just listed home made recipes containing silly stuff like Kool-Aid...   :-\

I agree with Steve -- Orally, juice with a tiny bit of salt will be the right choice, though wasn't sure of the amount until just reading Steve's post!

Signs of dehydration:
*No urine in more than 12 hours.
*Very dry mouth.
*No tears.
*Skin is not "elastic".  To check: Pull skin up on the back of the hand (like the thin skin, over the knuckles); it should "snap" back into place immediately, however, if it retains a "tent-like" peak, then the person is becoming seriously dehydrated.

I would do an enema first and then see how she responds.
We will be praying for her...
www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline jamie

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 05:19:11 AM »
my daughter used to do this when she was younger she would throw up for a week straight unable to hold anything down and we had difficulty getting it to stop. alka selzer with flat 7 up or gingerale would help some. umbelish plum that is used in macrobotic diets the paste form put in her belly button. Make lentil soup and have her drink a tsp to tbsp every so often will help nurish her. We later found out after four to five bouts of this she was so allergic to diary. good luck my prayers for answers are with you jamie

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 02:21:01 PM »

*Skin is not "elastic".  To check: Pull skin up on the back of the hand (like the thin skin, over the knuckles); it should "snap" back into place immediately, however, if it retains a "tent-like" peak, then the person is becoming seriously dehydrated.

Thank you all for advice and prayers!!!!

Interestingly, she has had no signs of dehydration, but I DO!!!  This skin thing, my stands up for a few seconds! 

She is keeping things down, but still has a come and go fever.  Today we did the garlic enema, then an epsom salt bath, kefir with Tummy Tuneup in it, and now she is begrudgingly drinking some salt water - the only thing she has bulked at so far.  She still looks bad, and the fever gets up to about 102, but otherwise, she has had some sense of humor, so I am taking that as a good sign.  I am tucking her into our bed right now, so we will see how she is in the morning.  Thanks again for your quick advice - I was begining to think ER and I always hate when my mind goes there and worse when we end up going there.  I always regret it afterwards.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 09:34:03 AM »
k, well, he's not three and he hasn't been vomiting for three days....he is ten and has been vomiting since 4 this morning.  A total of about 10 times and has started having diahrrea.  He has thrown up everything I have given him.  Ginger tea, tummy tune ups, keifer smoothie and a peice of wheat bread.  I finally just went to the store and got him some chicken soup, crackers and sprite.  I know that is not in the health realm but I thought it might help settle his stomach. I am afraid he will dehydrate.  He drinks water after he throws up everytime but then throws it up later.  I thought about those pediapop things but I didn't see any. Any thoughts?  No one else in my house is sick.  He seldom is. We all seldom are however he has been sick more over the last two months probly than in his whole life. We did just start drinking raw milk but no on else is sick and I really don't think that is what it is. It is probably a virus I am guessing.  I thougth the tummy tune up would just knock it out b/c that is what has happened in the past.  I am a little worried.   :-\  but I tend to worry easily when they are sick.  ::)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 09:57:02 AM »
Have you tried a garlic poultice or a ginger bath?  These are both antiviral and immune boosters and by giving them through the skin, you bypass the tummy where everything is obviously not being absorbed.  Ginger is good for settling tummy aches as well as being antiviral, so this might be a double whammy.  I did both of these for my babies when they were pukey and poopy at the same time and it slowed things down a bit.  :P
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 12:10:07 PM »
I did do the ginger bath this morning.  I could try it again.  Does the garlic poutlice go on the feet or does it matter where?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »
I did do the ginger bath this morning.  I could try it again.  Does the garlic poutlice go on the feet or does it matter where?
For Gabe's step-by-step instructions for doing a garlic poultice, CLICK HERE
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 01:36:13 PM »
I would only give him fluids *no solid foods.  He is old enough to fast for 10 -12 hours, and he likely needs to for his digestive system to recover.  We used to have the same feeling that we should feed our children while they were ill, so they wouldn't become weak, however their bodies need to be able to focus on fighting the illness and then healing, not on trying vainly to digest food -- which really isn't digesting, just sitting there rotting until they throw it up anyway...   :P

Just give him plenty of clear fluids, and as long as he doesn't show signs of becoming dehydrated he should be just fine.  Usually these things run their course and he will be hungry when his tummy is ready to eat.  (On occasion that doesn't always work, as we have had ours proclaim to be hungry and then toss the food back up, but usually, they won't really crave food until they are past the worst part...)

Praying for him!!

www.runamokfarm.com
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 03:00:55 AM »
Thank you both for advice and input.  Good advice on the eating.  He is still throwing up this morning and having diarreah  Should I go get him some pepto?  I don't really see how that will do anything any more than what I have done.  I wondered........what is pepto that is supposed to help.  If it would help maybe I would do it but everything else is coming up so........I figure that will too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 03:02:47 AM by Pennie »

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 05:01:05 AM »
Thank you both for advice and input. Good advice on the eating. He is still throwing up this morning and having diarreah Should I go get him some pepto? I don't really see how that will do anything any more than what I have done. I wondered........what is pepto that is supposed to help. If it would help maybe I would do it but everything else is coming up so........I figure that will too.

The active ingredient in Pepto is bismuth.  Bismuth works to neutralize the acids sloshing around that make your tummy, etc unhappy.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 06:31:26 AM »
Hi. I have one suggestion that I don't believe anyone else has mentioned. I used to get a stomach virus reguarly when I was a kid and my mom didn't give me any water, juice or teas as they all seemed to induce vomitting. Every couple of hours though, I took 1 spoonful of honey or maple syrup. This never irritated my stomach and seemed to keep me from getting dehydrated, though I was rarely sick for more than two or three days, until the worst was over and I could slowly incorporate soft foods into my diet again. So if all liquids seem like they won't stay down, you could try this. :)

HTH! I know how not-fun stomach viruses are!
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 06:34:05 AM »
I shall try this!!   I did find some pepto in the cabinet so I did give him some. He hasnt' vomited since but is still doing the "other"  Thanks for the tip.  He feels so miserable. He doesn't want to leave the "pot" b/c that throw up feeling isn't going away.

Offline robin22

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 07:24:01 AM »
Hi, I'm posting my first reply and as this serious situation happened to my son when he was 2 and it lasted 5 days. I wish I had known about the motion sickness suppository that can be prescribed by your Dr. I do not have the name handy but the doc would know.  It works almost immediately.  When this occured last year he needed only one suppository.  Following this I gave him lots of unsweetened (of course) applesauce, and good whole milk yogurt a couple of days later.  I'm hoping your little one is well now. God Bless

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 02:31:29 AM »
I finally remembered last night that a friend had told me about something that stops vomiting so I called her.  It's called Emetrol.  Certainly not a natural substance but I wanted to stop the vomiting ASAP.   It worked.  It says you can give it every 15 mintues for up to an hour so since it was bedtime I gave him 1 tsp and then about 20 min later another tsp and he didn't throw up or have diahrrea again.  Hey, I think maybe I spelled it right this time!! That's one word I can't seem to get right.  ::)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 05:18:57 AM »
I finally remembered last night that a friend had told me about something that stops vomiting so I called her.  It's called Emetrol.  Certainly not a natural substance but I wanted to stop the vomiting ASAP.   It worked.  It says you can give it every 15 mintues for up to an hour so since it was bedtime I gave him 1 tsp and then about 20 min later another tsp and he didn't throw up or have diahrrea again.  Hey, I think maybe I spelled it right this time!! That's one word I can't seem to get right.  ::)

I've been known to use Emetrol on occaission.  It didn't seem to work when the family had food poisoning, but it worked well for viral tummy upsets. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 03:37:13 AM »
My son says he doesn't like taking the emetrol b/c while it stops the throwing up he said it makes him feel worse b/c all the "stuff" is just staying in there.  We are on day four and he has lost 7 lbs which is 10% of his body weight.  He does eat the chicken soup but then throws it up later.  He is drinking water.  He is in a ginger bath right now sipping peppermint/ginger tea.  But I feel like he needs some nutrition.  What would be good? My husband said v08 but I am thinking that would be too acidic on his very empty tummy.  Any suggestions?  I did call his doctor yesterday he seems to have the same thing..........what's so weird is it's this son that is somewhat conscious of doing healthful things. He will take a tummy tune up just b/c and stuff like that.  Drink water instead of soda.  I am kind of surprised he is the one that is sick.  My husband had a bit of diahrrea but he is already over his.........so.....in short. any food suggestions for him?  He is really starting to look really skinny. 

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 04:14:23 AM »
The topic "what to eat w/upset stomach" has a few suggestions... and if I ever get a chance to look at this forum without a child 'emergancy' I will figure out how to make links in my messages.

In a nutshell mild fruits, yogurt/keifer, and a tea wtih peppermint in it (for energy you could stir in some honey).

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 04:15:49 AM »
Thanks, I will go there.  :)

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 04:44:29 AM »
I am sure this is not much help. With such wonderful advice from above.
While in labor my midwife put a drop or two of pepperment oil on a hankie. Then when I felt like I was  going to blow... she would hold the hankie on my nose for a few seconeds. I am still in amazement that it kept me from vomiting.
 She also suggested the pepermint tea. 
 That is all I know. Except PRAY!!!! Keep in mind that He is the greates DOC of all.
 Samantha
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 05:22:23 AM »
Hi. I have one suggestion that I don't believe anyone else has mentioned. I used to get a stomach virus reguarly when I was a kid and my mom didn't give me any water, juice or teas as they all seemed to induce vomitting. Every couple of hours though, I took 1 spoonful of honey or maple syrup. This never irritated my stomach and seemed to keep me from getting dehydrated, though I was rarely sick for more than two or three days, until the worst was over and I could slowly incorporate soft foods into my diet again. So if all liquids seem like they won't stay down, you could try this. :)

HTH! I know how not-fun stomach viruses are!

This is interesting because I used to be told to put a couple of tablespoons of sugar in some Coke, let it fizz out and give it to a child who was vomiting repeatedly.  Somehow the sugar was supposed to help, straight shot of sugar.    I don't know why, but had friends who swore by it.  So that makes sense with the honey and maple syrup!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 06:13:57 AM »
I did try the tsp of honey once but that was very unappetizing to him as is just about everything I suggest.  His vomiting has slowed way down. He threw up once last night and had a dry heave once this morning.  He has also had the D once this morning.  I just don't see how he has anything left.  He is still sipping the peppermint/ginger tea and I just put some honey it in.  I thought about preggo women needing protein when they are naseous so I have him a cracker with just a touch of peanutbutter.  I did that about an hour ago and just gave him another one.  He didn't want it but I made him eat it anyway.   ::)  I'm so mean.  Then he said the tea tasted bitter(his word)so then I put the honey in it.  He never wants honey in his drinks. anyway.......we will see how it goes.  Unfortunately it is time to go shopping and I have no fruit or keifer or yogurt....... :(

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 07:30:08 AM »
Hi..

My 4 year old son has been throwing up on & off for about 3 days. At first, I thought he had the 24 hour stomach bug cuz he threw up for one day... and he was absolutely fine the next day. Well, this morning he woke up, and has been throwing up a few times this morning. He doesn't have ANY other symptoms... no fever, nothing like that. He does complain that his stomach hurts though. I also noticed that when he threw up this morning, yesterdays breakfast was what he threw up.  :o Do you have any ideas what could be wrong w/ him??  ???  Or what would help him?  ???  He seems to be doing better now that he threw up & has eaten some wheat thins..
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline clover13

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 07:41:03 AM »
I went through something like this with my son when he was 4.  We all had a 24 hour bug, but he did not seem to get over the throwing up part.  On about the 3rd or 4th day of him throwing up I gave birth to my 4th son and someone brought me skittles as a present (I have no idea why).  Anyway, my son ate a few skittles and started to get better.  We didn't know why at the time, but later found out (he is 9 now and still deals with this problem) he has a very sensitive blood sugar.  So if he gets sick and throws up it makes his blood sugar drop and he keeps throwing up until we can get his blood sugar back up. 

I am not at all saying this would work, but if nothing else does, it is worth a try.  And I am not suggesting skittles, but anything that would raise the blood sugar a little bit.

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 11:04:48 AM »
I would have ice chips ready for your dc, and when my 8 yos couldn't keep food down for 1 day (and I gave him probiotic too) I finally got some coconut water in him. I felt like that was a good thing to get some electrolytes into him.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »
It seems like this has been said a million times... but it also seems that it has not been emphasized nearly enough in this thread:

In my experience, probiotics are miracle workers with regards to all flu symptoms... especially diarrhea and vomiting.

Make sure that kid is getting probiotics with everything that he eats or drinks.

TummyTuneup is an amazing probiotic... a "10" in my opinion, but any healthfood store near you will have a probiotic of some kind.

Go get probiotics now! Reputable brands are Beeyoutiful (TTU), Udo's Choice, Culturelle, Jarrow Labs, Nature's Way, Now, Garden of Life, Enzymatic Therapy (not "Walgreens Best" or "WalMart Chinese Slave Labor Special"). A good rule of thumb is to try to save money when buying toilet paper, or window cleaner... not when buying probiotics...  ;D

Open a capsule in every glass of milk, sprinkle on every meal, etc... sometimes it takes a while to "get ahead" of the flu, but once you do, it will seem like your kid is suddenly well... that is not necessarily true... keep up the probiotics for a couple days at least.

--gabe
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:33:10 PM by ForeverGirl »
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »
or "WalMart Chinese Slave Labor Special").

ROTFL!!!  I just about lost my drink, here!  :D  That's funny, but still sad.  :-\