Author Topic: Itchy [Rashes/Hives] While Pregnant  (Read 68212 times)

Offline Coco79

• Learning
Itchy [Rashes/Hives] While Pregnant
« on: September 03, 2006, 05:03:52 AM »
Hi everyone. I'm on my 8th week of pregnancy and have broken out in rash all over my body. It comes and goes but its so irritrating (no pun intended) hehe...anyways, i wanted to know what this is caused by and if its harmful and also what can i do to make my body more comfortable?

Thanks
KZ

Offline bakermom

• Adept
Re: Itchy [Rashes/Hives] While Pregnant
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 01:53:53 AM »
Anyone else get itchy when pregnant?  I am concerned about cholastasis.  I get dark urine too but that happened during the later part of my last two pregnancies and the drs never heard of that before.  I get little bug bite spots that itch like crazy until I scratch and they scab up and go away.  My underarm has a rash now but not the bite things. Just red and itchy. I put on cortaid and it feels better there.  I always feel pin prick itches here and there on my body if I am sitting or laying down.  Any experience with this?  I have 6 weeks to go.

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 02:13:15 AM »
Hi, I'm 26 weeks pregnant, and for the past few days my whole body itches really bad. It's driving me crazy!  :o I have no idea if it is pregnancy related, I don't remember a problem with it in my previous pregnancies, except for my belly. But lately I've had this spot on my belly that itches all the time, plus my scalp. And there is always some itchy spot somewhere on my body. My poor hubby, it's really bad at night when I'm trying to get to sleep.  :-\ I was thinking it my be dry skin, never really thought that maybe it was pregnancy related. Great, and I have another 14 weeks to go.  :'(
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »
For both of you ladies, keep in mine that your immune system is on overload trying to compensate for two on less nutrients, so for the bumps and the scalp and the general itchies I would look at

1)  Candida
2)  SLS/Detergents

as possible contributing factors.

As far as the belly itching, this is normal as the skin is stretching.  Try some vitamin E oil for this.  It works wonders.

[search= "pregnancy", "itching"]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 06:11:13 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bendeleboysmama

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:40:16 AM »
Hello ladies,
and may I say congratulations on your pregnancies?  It's wonderful to house a life in your womb, even if some of the complications are unnerving at times.  I too had this itching problem.  My skin in certain places would rash up.  Underarms, a spot on my belly and YES, the scalp!  I was constantly checking for lice(really impossible, we are a VERY clean family) I got so very annoyed and the rash was bigger and then would go down and then bigger and then would go down.  Finally my midwife looked at it and said my liver was having problems detoxing all the extra things from being pregnant and it was manifesting itself on my skin.  She told me to get some glycerine based Dandelion.  (the roots stems and flowers were all in mine) and take it until the problem alleviated.  I don't mean to get your hopes up, but mine was gone in 3 days!  I took the dandelion 4 times a day and in 3 days time the itching had stopped and the rashes were just a hint on my skin.  I took it another 2 weeks and they were gone completely.  I hope this helps.  My baby came out beautifully (I was worried about the effect the dandelion would have) It was worth it to not be so annoyed with all the itching.  I hope this helps.  Again, Congrats
MANDI

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:09:37 AM »
I know what it's like to get those tiny bug-bite looking spots that itch like crazy.  I had them with my last pregnancy.  Then I read that taking a supplement of vitamin B-6 can relieve that.  So I took it and it helped!  Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth.  Pregnancy can get uncomfortable enough without itching all over.  ;)

Offline Joy

• content
  • Learning
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 08:24:21 PM »
Yep, I've got itchy problems too- this is my first baby, but the pinpricks sound familiar! I haven't had any rashes or anything though... I read someplace that the itching can be caused by dry skin, and that an oil based moisturizer helps the skin to stretch. I went out and got some coconut oil & vitamin e oil stuff, and I LOVE it!! It seems to be helping with the itching, and it's supposed to help minimize stretch marks too, so I guess we'll see.  ;)

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 08:15:45 PM »
This is weird!! I was doing perfectly fine, when all of a sudden..out of nowhere... I am now covered pretty much from shoulders to ankles in a very itchy rash. It happened right as I hit the 3rd trimester. I can't figure out what it is. I was wondering, maybe someone else ever had this? I don't know if it matters, but it's my 3 pregnancy. The only change I have made recently is starting to drink the Mama's Brew from the Bulk Herb Store. Is it possible that I might be allergic? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!Thanks!!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline Mama Bear

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 04:15:23 AM »
I had something similar to this...I was broken out on the tops of my  arms, belly, and tops of my legs...the itching was intense!!! Doc told me it would go away after birth. I researched it and found that some women develop this and it usually is only with one pregnancy. The only thing I could do was to put on topical anti-itch creams, but they didn't really help much. After delivery, I looked down at my arms and legs...it was gone!
Maybe lay off the tea for a day or two and see if it makes a difference.
Gina

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 05:04:27 AM »
It could be yeast. The hormones of pregnancy make yeast/fungus grow like crazy. The Mamas Brew may be causing some die off & the toxins are coming through the skin. After birth the hormone levels are different & the yeast cuts back. HTH~herbalmom

Offline NewPrairie

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 06:13:12 AM »
I got this in my last trimester with my first pregnancy. It was horrendous and after 3 days of staying up at night with my feet in a bowl of cold water, wet towels over my legs etc, DH took me to the dr to find out if there was anything that could help as nothing I was using was even relieving the itch and I was itching in my sleep enough that it woke him up and I had scratched my legs raw - they are covered in lovely scars now from it! I ended up having PUPP also.
DR recommended over the counter benadryl topical and pills and they affected me very badly by making me hyper and the baby not move for 16 hours! I thought I'd killed the baby, so ended up having an ultrasound because we couldn't detect any movement and the dr told me that benadryl slowed the baby down and sometimes sped up the Momma. SO I didn't take that again and she gave me Zyrtec which I ended up having to take a pill a day until I delivered adn then it disappeared. THis was very hard for me who never takes anything but I couldn't sleep anymore and it was unbearable. I ended up being on the pill a day for 3 weeks before I delivered.
Heather

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 08:20:38 AM »
I broke out in a very itchy rash around 20 weeks. Afraid I had PUPPS and that it would last the rest of the pregnancy, I did some research online. Found a couple recommendations to take Dandelion, so I tried that. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but the rash went away and hasn't come back! Topical hydrocortisone cream brought relief in the meantime.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:25:49 PM by hedy »

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 09:23:13 AM »
.... 20 weeks. Afraid I had PUPPS and that ...

What's PUPPS?  (I've had what feels like an entire litter of puppies in there when I'm huge pregnant with a wiggly babe - but I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean.)

-Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline murfette

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 09:35:06 AM »
Same thing happened to me in my 2nd pregnancy and nothing over-the-counter worked. I was miserable.  The doctor put me on Zyrtec and a prescription anti-itch lotion.  It went away after I delivered.

How do you use dandelion?

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 10:24:44 AM »
.... 20 weeks. Afraid I had PUPPS and that ...

What's PUPPS?  (I've had what feels like an entire litter of puppies in there when I'm huge pregnant with a wiggly babe - but I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean.)

-Sarah K

I guess I didn't put enough P's in there.  ;D  It's PUPPP.

Check out: http://dermatology.about.com/cs/pregnancy/a/puppp.htm
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:06:55 AM by hedy »

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 10:31:12 AM »

I just bought a bottle of Dandelion capsules from the health food store and took them according to directions. There are tinctures available too.

Here is a link that mentions it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2829297

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 12:14:59 PM »
I had that too with my first pregnancy (PUPPPs) and nothing worked.  My doc recommended antihistamine, too, but she said mainly all it was for was to make me be able to sleep.  I only took it a couple of times.  The only way I could get relief was to briefly scald my skin.  Not enough to raise my body temp. but just enough to scald the skin a little.  Then the itch would be gone for several hours.  This may not be the best for your skin, but when I'm that itchy I'll do almost anything! :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 08:05:26 PM »

I just bought a bottle of Dandelion capsules from the health food store and took them according to directions. There are tinctures available too.

Here is a link that mentions it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2829297

Never heard of this before reading this thread. According to the link PUPPP stands for Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy.  Priritic & urticarial both sound like acid based toxins to me. Dandelion & other blood purifiers should help by neutralizing the toxins. I wonder if a highly alkalizing diet would help? I could be wrong-this is just my .02. ~herbalmom

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 03:15:39 PM »
Hi! Thanks for all the comments so far! A lot of great advice!! I finally had my midwife appt and she was very surprised that I had diagnosed myself! (thanks to God and all of you) ;) She immediatly told my to go get "Dandelion Root Tincture". She said a couple gals have already used it and it cleared up the puppps. I'm a little worried, because I don't like to take anything during pregnancy, but the itching is just horrible! So now I'm wodering, does anyone know anything about the tincture? How long does it take to clear up the rash? Also, why would my liver be malfunctioning right now? Is this tincture safe for the baby? I need all the advice I can get! Thanks a bunch! And I hope everyone has a wonderful CHRISTmas!!! :D God bless!!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2006, 01:00:55 AM »
Hi! Thanks for all the comments so far! A lot of great advice!! I finally had my midwife appt and she was very surprised that I had diagnosed myself! (thanks to God and all of you) ;) She immediatly told my to go get "Dandelion Root Tincture". She said a couple gals have already used it and it cleared up the puppps. I'm a little worried, because I don't like to take anything during pregnancy, but the itching is just horrible! So now I'm wodering, does anyone know anything about the tincture? How long does it take to clear up the rash? Also, why would my liver be malfunctioning right now? Is this tincture safe for the baby? I need all the advice I can get! Thanks a bunch! And I hope everyone has a wonderful CHRISTmas!!! :D God bless!!

Dandelion is that yellow weed in your yard. It is one of the most vitamin/mineral rich plants there is. The leaves & flowers are used as food & the roots are roasted to make a coffee substitute. The tincture is the root of the plant & either alcohol or glycerin. I think I would use the alcohol type because you only get a few drops of alcohol in a dose & some parts of medicinal herbs are only soluble in alcohol, but that's up to you.  Because dandelion is high in alkalizing minerals it alkalizes the blood which helps neutralize the acid toxins causing the PUPPP.  Dandlelion supports the liver & builds/cleanses the blood preventing/curing anemia. Your liver can always use support, esp. since there are so many toxins in our world. In pregnancy it needs extra support because you have extra blood volume while pregnant & your blood needs more filtering, there are more hormones which the liver detoxifies, etc. See my other post under pregnancy for more info about dandelion. One thing to keep in mind though, it's name means wet the bed in some languages- you might not want to take it right before bed as its a diuretic. HTH~herbalmom

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2006, 05:40:42 AM »
I'm 35 weeks, and I have had itchy skin for a while now. I don't have any rashes, except one tiny spot on my belly, and another one on my hand. But I itch everywhere. It used to be my scalp really bad, and that does still itch quite a bit. But now, the worst place, and this is kinda embarassing  :-[ , is my breasts. Between them, but mostly my nipples. I have been leaking quite a bit of colostrum lately, don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it's driving me crazy! I can't really go around all day itching my nipples.  :o But like I said, I have no rashes anywhere. Should I try the dandelion? All I have is dandelion root, could I make that into a tea?  ???
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 01:14:13 PM »
I'm 35 weeks, and I have had itchy skin for a while now. I don't have any rashes, except one tiny spot on my belly, and another one on my hand. But I itch everywhere. It used to be my scalp really bad, and that does still itch quite a bit. But now, the worst place, and this is kinda embarassing  :-[ , is my breasts. Between them, but mostly my nipples. I have been leaking quite a bit of colostrum lately, don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it's driving me crazy! I can't really go around all day itching my nipples.  :o But like I said, I have no rashes anywhere. Should I try the dandelion? All I have is dandelion root, could I make that into a tea?  ???

Yes, although it won't be as strong as a tincture. Don't know how it tastes. If you have empty gelatin capsules you could powder it & put it in capsules. You might be able to mix the powder w/something & take it by the spoonful- don't know, just an idea. I would also check into yeast/fungus. The hormones of pregnancy make yeast/fungus grow like crazy & you can have fungal issues w/out having the typical female yeast infection. A lack of ess. fatty acids can cause itchy skin & so can nutritional deficiency. There is lots of info about all of this on WTM. I would still take the dandelion for all the reasons motioned in the posts above. HTH~herbalmom

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »
Thanks so much everyone! Especially herbalmom! Great info! Exactley what I was looking for! Here's an update, incase anyone is interested! ;) The Dandelion Root Tincture has only lasted me for one week. I think I have one more dose left. I don't know what it would be like if I had not been taking it...but it hasn't cleared up the itching all the way. Its not too bad. Most of the time it doesn't itch, but when it does, I really have to fight my self from itching too much. I called my midwife to see if its worth buying more, and she said that it usually works within about 2 weeks or so. I've only been using for 1 week. Also, she said that I need the alcohol based one, and I've been using the alcohol free (thinking that you shouldn't have alcohol during pregnancy). So hopefully we'll go buy the new one tonight. Also, I have noticed that if I put regular Aveen Lotion on the parts that itch, the itching seems to go away quite fast. That has helped me a lot! So once again, thank you all soo much!! I love this site!! God Bless Everyone!!! :D

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 10:28:06 PM »
Thank God!!! I am so excited to share this with you ladies!!! ;D I am cured!!! No thanks to 'modern medicine' ::) Thanks to God and the "weeds" He created!!! After taking Dandelion Root Tincture for exactley 1 week, my itchyness is GONE!!! I actually don't even remember how bad it was! I know it was bad, but boy does it feel good not to itch and have to keep reapplying the lotion all the time!! ;D I still went out and bought the Dandelion Root Tea and another bottle of Tincture (the alcohol based one this time). I don't want the rash to come back, so I'm taking precaution..... At 1st, the tea was DISGUSTING  :o But we figured out that if you drink it like you would coffee, its actually really good!! So my advice to anyone who is pregnant and itching.... do the remedy....drink the weed!!!! God Bless You ALL!!! I'm soo excited!!! ;D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 10:51:49 PM »
Thank God!!! I am so excited to share this with you ladies!!! ;D I am cured!!! No thanks to 'modern medicine' ::) Thanks to God and the "weeds" He created!!! After taking Dandelion Root Tincture for exactley 1 week, my itchyness is GONE!!! I actually don't even remember how bad it was! I know it was bad, but boy does it feel good not to itch and have to keep reapplying the lotion all the time!! ;D I still went out and bought the Dandelion Root Tea and another bottle of Tincture (the alcohol based one this time). I don't want the rash to come back, so I'm taking precaution..... At 1st, the tea was DISGUSTING  :o But we figured out that if you drink it like you would coffee, its actually really good!! So my advice to anyone who is pregnant and itching.... do the remedy....drink the weed!!!! God Bless You ALL!!! I'm soo excited!!! ;D

Fantastic, ;D thank you Lord! Glad you updated us. I've never had this but it sounds miserable. :'( Glad to hear that your going to continue w/the dandelion & just think, while your taking it your NOURISHING :D your body instead of depleting :( it at best & poisining  :P it at worst. If you choose not to use the tea you can just use more tincture. BTW you can get roasted dandelion root that is used to make herbal "coffee" & the roasting improves the flavor. ;D Some brands are better than others but you might want to give it a try. Keep in mind, if hubby or the kids like it, it is good for them too. ;D It's high in vits. & minerals, & keeps the liver healthy. ;D Welcome to the herbal club. ;D ;D ;D Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 02:56:12 PM »
The only place I itch are breasts and nipples (one nipple even got a flaky/scab like thing on it and I am not even nursing..mostly one side...I did buy a couple new bras but it seemed like the itching is most sensitive right where the milk comes out...can I put this dandelion on topically or would you only suggest internally ...not sure if I want to take it internally  ??? and where is the best place to get some..is it the tea I want, the tincture or extract that you would recommend??

I assume it is safe for prego women??? (I am 5 months along)...i know i just had to ask though :)

4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 11:17:33 AM »
bump
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 01:50:28 PM »
Keep in mind, if hubby or the kids like it, it is good for them too. ;D It's high in vits. & minerals, & keeps the liver healthy. ;D Welcome to the herbal club. ;D ;D ;D Blessings ~herbalmom

I got tell you, you are really an inspiration Herbalmom! You make my desire grow to learn more and more about these herbs!  I have been wondering though, is it safe for small children (Under 4) to take the tincture or drink the tea? Also, do you know if either would provide iron? My midwife said I'm a tiny bit low on iron, but she's not sure how well this dandelion stuff really provides iron. Any help with that? Thank you soo much!! ;D

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 06:21:43 AM »
good question its_ me....bump

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »
I just noticed that on my bottle of dandelion root tincture made with glycerine, it says do not take if prego. Is this just a safety precaution or should i reall be avoiding this?