Author Topic: Beet Kvass  (Read 42051 times)

Nickole

Beet Kvass
« on: September 14, 2006, 08:55:28 AM »
Ok, so I finally got over my public school-induced fear of beets - I still recall having to sit out recess time staring at my plate of beets.  I vowed never to touch one again.  What a mean school - can you believe they served BEETS?  And much less made you eat everything...or else no playtime.  SO I swallowed my pride and bought some beets and made the beet kvass.  Salty-tasting, as I had heard.  I was wondering, if I can manage not to stain everything with it, what are some "uses" besides drinking it straight?   :P  I will if that's best, but not sure if I can get anyone else to.  I am thinking mix it with kombucha?  Or will that cause some kind of explosion?  :o :D  Any other ideas?  My husband may not be too fond of something ELSE to drink on a daily basis, so I would like to make it more palatable.  In NT is says to put it in salad dressing, but in place of WHAT?   
Thank you!     

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Beet Kvass
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »
 :P  Good luck with that.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 05:07:13 PM »
Did you follow the recipe in NT as written?  I think it is way too salty, so I cut the salt in half.  It's not exactly yummy, but I don't mind it this way.  I absolutely could not drink it w/ all the salt and had to dilute it w/ water.  Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions about how to ingest it. :)
Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

Nickole

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 12:10:01 PM »
Yes I did it "as written".  Just want the health benefits regardless of if it's  :P which yes it is.  What we have to go through just to be healthy... ::)  NOW I've GOT to drink it b/c I refuse to waste! I'll mix it with kombucha and see.  If you don't hear from me again you'll know I exploded. 

Nickole

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:30:40 AM »
Weeeelllll, I mixed it with kombucha and it's pretty good!  *Reminiscent*, VERY loosely ;D (but try REALLY HARD) of grape juice.   

Nickole

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 06:04:50 AM »
Just wanted to post again that I have recently begun drinking the beet kvass and kombucha again and it's delicious!  My husband can't stand it though, but I crave it.  It's really tasty mixed this way!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 02:41:13 PM »
Hey Nicole
Can you tell us why you are drinking Beet Kvass?   What is it good for?  Guess I will have to get NT from the library and see how it is made.   I've not heard what the benefits are.
Thanks
Daisey
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Nickole

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 07:44:21 AM »
Hey Nicole
Can you tell us why you are drinking Beet Kvass?   What is it good for?  Guess I will have to get NT from the library and see how it is made.   I've not heard what the benefits are.
Thanks
Daisey

Finally getting back to you Daisey.  Sorry.   :)  Yeah, in NT it says beets are loaded with nutrients as well as great for detoxifying the liver.  Beet kvass is great for a digestive aid, blood tonic, promotes regularity, alkalizes the blood, and a good treatment for kidney stones and other ailments. 

You can also use it in place of vinegar in salad dressings and as an addition to soups.  Ooh - now I can sneak it in!  My family will not drink it, even mixed with kombucha.  But I like it that way.  But also, if it's healthy for me, my brain seems to make it taste better.... :-\.  Why doesn't that work for them????   ::)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »
Hey Nicole
Thanks
Daisey

Finally getting back to you Daisey.  Sorry.   :)  Yeah, in NT it says beets are loaded with nutrients as well as great for detoxifying the liver.  Beet kvass is great for a digestive aid, blood tonic, promotes regularity, alkalizes the blood, and a good treatment for kidney stones and other ailments. 

You can also use it in place of vinegar in salad dressings and as an addition to soups.  Ooh - now I can sneak it in!  My family will not drink it, even mixed with kombucha.  But I like it that way.  But also, if it's healthy for me, my brain seems to make it taste better.... :-\.  Why doesn't that work for them????   ::)

Thank you Nicole
I guess I will have to add this to my hoard of other healthy things to make.   My DH says we don't have room for all this 'healthy' stuff in our kitchen anymore.   ;)   He is a good sport and tries it all after he sees it isn't killing me.    ;D   
Doesn't it feel like sometimes all you get done is make all these healthy things for your family.   :)   So glad we can do something to improve our health.
Thanks again
Daisey
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Nickole

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 10:15:37 AM »

Doesn't it feel like sometimes all you get done is make all these healthy things for your family.   :)   
[/quote]

YES!!!!  ;D  I am constantly busy!  Gotta go make some sourdough bread right now!   ::)

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 02:15:31 PM »
Hey!   :)

Thanks for giving me some incentive to make beet kvass!  I just bought beets today, b/c I've been trying to improve my liver's health, and beets are an excellent food for that (see Liver Function thread for more ideas).

I had made some NT beets last fall and they were way too salty...sounds like a problem w/ this stuff, too--it's not a soup, then, but a drink? Oh! That's borscht (sp?), right?   ???

I'm planning to do the kombucha thing this summer.   :o  That thread looks intimidating--it's HUGE!  We need like a primer on it... :D

Nickole

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 02:30:26 PM »
Yoopermama, Kombucha is the easiest thing to make.  Seriously.  It's so simple.  Have fun!

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 08:26:22 AM »
GREAT!  Thanks for the encouragement...have my beets and collected whey from my yogurt...off to grab my recipe from the Eat Fat book and I'm on a roll.   ;D

On a related note...I made some Kefir w/ the powdered starter...I think it turned out.  Didn't sweeten it or flavor it, just threw it in a smoothie...there was some tartness...we'll see how the other container bodes w/ maple syrup and bluelerries!   :D

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 09:18:42 AM »
  I make the beet kvass and while it's salty it's not as salty as everyone seems to think. I really wonder if it's the kind of salt you use. We use celtic salt, not realsalt. It's grayish, not pink and it's the first salt that i like to lick my fingers off afterwards. It tastes incredible.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »
YooperMama,

Let me know how it goes with the beet kvass.  I'm thinking of trying it.  I've even added beets to my list of things to plant in my garden this year.  I too want to take care of my liver!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »
We like the beet kvass...much easier to down than the cabbage juice. I just drink the cabbage juice first! ;) Beets are also good for people with cancer, so the kvass would be good for preventing cancer as well.
I found that while taking the beet kvass twice a day, I became very, shall we say regular? Everything just seemed to work more smoothly. Hope that isn't too much information.  :D
Jessica :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 10:35:45 AM »
Thank you ladies for the replies to my experiment! I'm not the only one interested in this stuff, huh?   :D

It is primarily for my liver's health that I'm doing it.  I don't expect to enjoy it...altho' there's hope that mixing it w/ kombucha makes a nice drink???  (per Nikole)   ;) 

In 2 days I'll let you know how it turns out...I split it into 2 1-QT Mason jars...used some salt from our co-op, but wish I had the pink or gray stuff...soon.

Cabbage juice?  ::) Yikes..missed that..would eating real sauerkraut count?   8)

Regularity..that's a plus I'll look forward to!  Thanks for the heads up!   :D

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 12:31:53 PM »
I make the beet kvass for my hubby. He seems to like it because it has the salt in it. He says it also gives him energy to get through the day. To me it tasted like dirt and I couldn't handle that so I quit drinking it. Hubby (I saw DH used in other threads. Does that refer to our husbands?) likes the second batch more than the first. He says it's more salty. I use 1/2 cup of kvass from the first batch and still add 1 tbsp salt to it. This time when I made a new batch I used 1/2 cup from the last second batch. It's still fermenting so I don't know if it will taste better or not. I listened to a teleconference that Urban Homemaker did with Maria Blair and she said it's good to use the 1/2 cup from a previous batch in a new batch because it already has all the vitamins and nutrients in it.
I get my sea salt from Amazon.com. I have to process it in my food processor in order to make it fine enough to put in a salt shaker though. It's very affordable, gray in color and clumps.
Kelly
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Gen 18:14a

YoopreMama

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 02:45:01 PM »
Kelly--

Thanks for sharing your experience w/ the Kvass, especially the finer points of making subsequent batches and where you got your sea salt.  I'll be chiming in soon w/ how ours turns out.  I don't expect anyone to drink it besides me, but how can I sneak it into things other than soup?   ;)

You're right, dh is for dear husband.   :D

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 01:05:02 AM »
I listened to a teleconference that Urban Homemaker did with Maria Blair and she said it's good to use the 1/2 cup from a previous batch in a new batch because it already has all the vitamins and nutrients in it.
Kelly
Sorry I made a mistake about the persons name above. It's Maria Atwood and Blair someone. The DVD is Cooking Your Way to Wellness. I don't know the name of the companion book, it may be the same.
Kelly
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Gen 18:14a

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 02:15:00 AM »
My first gallon was salty tasting. Then the second time I refilled the almost empty container with water again, like she says in NT and let it sit out 2 more days. THIS time it was not salty tasting at all!! AND it was fizzy! :):) So for me the second batch was better than the first, but I did not really mind the salt taste either.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 02:51:15 AM »
This isn't in response to anyone's post.

Just thought I'd pass along that I had a friend who made beet kvass for the first time after I had lots of good things to say about it. When I saw her next, she said it nearly turned her mouth inside out for the saltiness. She assured me that she followed the directions (in NT) precisely. Finally I asked her: What size is your glass jar? Is it 2 quart or just one quart? A look of realization dawned across her face and she said that she had just used one of her quart jars.

Boy! That must have been a briny drink!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

YoopreMama

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 04:02:34 AM »
Good morning!   :)

Thanks for the reminders that I had some brewing in my basement.  ;) It's day 3, but it seems fine...just like salty beet juice!  I've certainly drunk worse concoctions for health.   :D

I can't imagine halving the water, but having the full salt...<gag>!  Briny, for sure!   :o

YoopreMama

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 02:36:34 AM »
WOW!   :o

I drank 1 glass of this stuff yesterday and I don't know if this alone did it,  ??? but my SKIN is amazingly better today!  I've been battling detox rash for 2 months and I can't believe the leaps it made overnight.

Gonna' get me some more!   ;)

Nickole

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 02:40:33 AM »
WOW!   :o

I drank 1 glass of this stuff yesterday and I don't know if this alone did it,  ??? but my SKIN is amazingly better today!  I've been battling detox rash for 2 months and I can't believe the leaps it made overnight.

Gonna' get me some more!   ;)

Wow, I'm glad I revived this thread and got people interested in this stuff!  It is really good I think mixed with k-tea.  Did you like the taste of it plain, yoopermama?  :-X :P

Does anyone know how long this stuff lasts in the fridge?  Um, I still have my first batch made, what, months ago?  Same batch I mentioned in this thread.  Is that gross?  It seems to have gotten better tasting.  Still, we are trying to finish it off!  Too expensive to go to waste!   

Yikes - i just looked - my kvass is 5 months old!!!! 

YoopreMama

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 03:50:46 AM »
Nickole-

It's not as bad as other concoctions that were "supposed to be good for me".   ;)  Can't wait to try it mixed w/ my kombucha (1st batch-Day 6).

Not sure how long it lasts...would suspect awhile.  Time to pour me another!   ;D

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 04:29:29 AM »
I have had beet kvass for months and it will stay good. I think mine was over six months old. It tastes weaker with age... I think better. :) So, don't worry and drink up. Now, the stuff does not last that long in my house. I've got 'em hooked!  :D
Jessica

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 05:20:17 AM »
ok ok, I am interested.  Can someone give me the how to's on this? A recipe please.   Is this an alcoholic drink?  I have never heard of it but if its good for the liver, I would like to try it!
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 06:14:23 AM »
Anyone seen this one?
www.fourfoldhealing.com/Recipes.htm

Beet Kvass
Makes 2 quarts

3 medium or 2 large organic beets, peeled and chopped coarsely
ΒΌ cup whey
1 Tbsp sea salt
filtered water

Beet kvass is an invaluable lacto-fermented tonic. It promotes regularity, aids digestion, alkalizes the blood, cleanses the liver and is a good treatment for kidney stones.

Place the beets, whey and salt in a 2-quart glass container. Add filtered water to fill the container. Stir well and cover securely. Keep at room temperature for two days before transferring to the refrigerator.

When most of the liquid has been drunk, you may fill up the container with water and keep at room temperature for another two days. The resulting brew will be slightly less strong than the first. After the second brew, discard the beets and start again. You may, however, reserve some of the liquid and use this as your inoculant instead of the whey.

Note: do not use grated beets in the preparation of beet tonic. When grated, beets exude too much juice resulting in a too rapid fermentation that favors the production of alcohol rather than lactic acid.

YoopreMama

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 10:30:03 AM »
Oh, come on YooperMama! I thought out of anyone, you'd be up for a bit of a dare!  ;)

Oh, sigh...of course, I am up for anything that promotes intestinal flora and digestion, wretched eater I was for the 1st 30 years of my life.  :P  I, unfortunately, am also someone who is up for a dare.  8) Sigh....where's the recipe?  NT?   ;)

My hubby will be surprised that I wasn't the one to come up w/ this one.  ;D It really is up my alley...but you, um, certainly haven't provided a TON OF MOTIVATION WITH YOUR DESCRIPTION!  ;) If you write a book about it, you're going to have to change your lingo, you know. ;)