Author Topic: Hormonal Migraines: Causes & Cures  (Read 23580 times)

Offline momof2

• Learning
Hormonal Migraines: Causes & Cures
« on: September 22, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »
I found this sight in the most recent NGJ magazine.  I am at the end of my rope.  I suffer with migraines that are strictly cyclical.  After dealing with them since the pregnancy with my first daughter.  I have had them according to my cycle.  After I stopped nursing, I went back on the pill.  The first pill....I had migraines every Friday.  they changed my pil.  Then it was only every other Friday.  They changed it once again and I only had it once a month right before I started my period.  I finally gave up and then we had my son  :-[ pretty quickly!  After my pregnancy and healthy delivery, I had some trouble when my son was just over a year old and had to have an endometrical ablation and some large cysts removed.  Since then I have migraines usually once a month.  They start with blindness and I am left with only peripheral vision for about 25-30 minutes.  Then I usually have numbness in my tongue, right pinky and ring finger and sometimes my arm (I have had a CAT scan done and everything was fine.).  Then I am hit with the pain.  I have been trying to at least help the pain with aspirin, but I am down for at least 2 days.  I have been put on several migraine medications one to prevent and the others to just get over the pain.  The only one that has worked was MIDRIN however I am so out of it that the one time i took it I did not know my daughters name.  (I NEVER take anything without my husband there.)  The past two weeks I have had 2 migraines back to back on Thursdays.  I had my annual check up and they reran the ultra- sound.  She put me back on the pill (progesterone) because of some problems again and MIDRIN again for migraine pain.  I went to the library yesterday and began my search for natural remedies.  I got several books.  I found conflicting info as well as stuff I did not understand.  I would like to know if anyone can help me or suggest anything.  I would also like to know where to go to buy things for the herbal medicines because we do not have any at present.  (We are renting and can't even plant them right now! :(  )  thank you for any help that you can offer.

Offline mishy

• Master
Re: Hormonal Migraines: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 03:35:20 PM »
If it is hormonal perhaps doing the master cleanse would be beneficial?  Do you think it might have to do with nerves?  Are you able to go to a chiropractor and see what they say and how adjusting might benefit you? 

Hope you are able to find something....  Migraines are such debilitating monsters!   :-[

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 03:50:24 PM »
If it is hormonal perhaps doing the master cleanse would be beneficial?  Do you think it might have to do with nerves?  Are you able to go to a chiropractor and see what they say and how adjusting might benefit you? 

Hope you are able to find something....  Migraines are such debilitating monsters!   :-[
The Master Cleanse might be a good idea, but if you aren't in a position to fast, I would personally try some red rasp leaf tea and some B12 Sublingual (under the tongue) supplements and some Evening Primrose Oil.  I've had really good luck these during my cycles. 

Catnip and Peppermint are also good herbs for headaches and body aches.  I make a triple herb tea.  It's good for tummy aches, tummy cramps, menstral cramps, body aches and headaches.  2 tsp red rasp leaf ,  2 tsp peppermint, 2 tsp catnip and 2 quarts water.

You can buy most of these at any healthfood store that carries bulk herbs and online at bulkherbstore.com.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 03:51:08 PM »
I started a looong post because I can empathize with your condition.BUT.... Instead of writing it all out I think that I'll just give a quick recommendation to get you started.
Look first at all the great cleansing info on this site.(just search "cleanse or cleansing" from the home page") In my experience both endometriosis and migraines were all most totally eliminated with a systematic cleanse regime. Start with the water cure and work from there. I would also think that you might have digestive problems, probably yeast overgrowth. Toxitity is one of the reasons for glandular malfunction that magnifies female problems.
Modern medicine is usually about treating the symptoms we live with. We can replace medications with herbs, but even better is to understand what is causing the symptoms and eliminate the root cause.
I would be glad to share more of my experience if you are interested. I am still working on getting well myself. It takes many steps but there is improvement with each one...

By the way I tried tart (sour) cherries for relief from a migraine last night. It helped!! My vision started clearing within 10 min. of drinking about 4 oz. of juice. I had to repeat every half hour for 2 hours before I got major pain relief. I drank some more right before bed and it has not been too bad today. I should say that this migraine was only half as bad as the worst ones I have experienced so it was easier to shake...I never had relief with OTC drugs and never really took prescrip. drugs as they were really "druggy" :o :P :-\ like you describe!!! I don't know which is worse- feeling drugged or suffering with the pain.

WELCOME TO WELLTELLME !!!
 PS> Mishy posted while I was typing. Guess I second the cleanse :)

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 04:04:44 PM »
Ooooooh, bless your heart.  I had migraines with my daughter.  They put me to bed.  I had the vision thing too where I would be looking at someone, and they would just disappear.  Freaky!!!  :o Then the headache would come later.  I only had 3 of the vision problem migraines but suffer bad headaches whenever I am pregnant.
I would suggest looking into  doing one of the cleanses.  I am pregnant now, and again was suffering.  I first began taking supermom vitamins.  Then I began using chlorophyll.  Then I went off all sugar, and began eating all whole foods, raw vegetables, and turkey and chicken for protein.  I also took a detox tea that was ok to take while pregnant.  I then drank a ton of water and added more sea salt to my food something like the Water Cure which is another thread you probably will want to check out.  
The first day, after going off all sugar and drinking the detox tea plus a ton of water, I had a nominal headache.  The next day, I had a doozy of a headache.  I couldn't do much but just exist.  I was determined to get off all drugs including Tylenol, and I stuck with it.  By evening, I was sick at my stomach from pain.  I drank another detox tea, and went to bed.  I dozed a little, then had to tinkle 12 times in one hour.  I was sweating like a hog too.  I had a couple of bowel movements during that time as well.  I just hung out on the potty reading a magazine. ::)
After all that, my headaches were gone.  That's been almost 3 mos ago.  I have had two small headaches since then when I have eaten out at a restaurant.  My guess is I ate something I shouldn't have.  I can usually kick it if I drink a little more water.
My mom got migraines a lot.  She knew certain foods triggered them.  I think peanut butter, chocolate and milk were triggers for her.  You might want to look into that too.   Don't know if you are still on the pill, but one of the side effects of the pill is headaches.
Hope this helps.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline momof2

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 02:07:05 AM »
Thank you...thank you...thank you!  I couldn't wait to check this sight this morning.  I read until really late last into books about various herbs.  I will definitely check out the cleansing.  I have actually felt all along that it has to be the "junk" in our food.  I must admit that sometimes I cringe when I loo at how much it will cost me to buy more natural foods because it is so expensive anywhere around here that I have looked and we are just not able to grow any of our own things while living in this rental house.  However, I realize that I have to just bite the bullet and start somewhere.  I want my children to grow up healthy and hopefully miss some of the health issues that I have faced! 

I have a lot of research to do.  Thank you very much.  I appreciate all the help!...now to my studying... ;D

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 03:30:10 AM »
Actually, if you are eating a lot of junk foods, you may come out cheaper buying fruits and vegetables.  At your local grocery store, look for specials on fruit, or day old fruit.  Whole wheat bread is more expensive to buy, but if you make it yourself, it's cheaper.  Things like lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, and celery are vegetables are not too expensive.  They make great snacks with Smuckers whole peanut butter or a homemade salad dressing.  Granted, it does take more time to prepare, but you can do it on a budget.  Chicken we get from many grocery stores says it's hormone free.  Homemade soups are also very good for you, and they don't cost much.  Also homemade whole wheat or even oatmeal muffins are great and cheap, at least cheaper than brownies.
By the time I cut out all the cookies, chips, dip, and soft drinks, I was pretty surprised at how much was leftover in the budget for the healthy stuff.
There is a thread on here of what you can find at Wal Mart while trying to eat healthy.  I think you might like it.  Here's the link.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1787.0.html
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline momof2

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »
Thanks floydian,  You know, I guess I am not as bad as I thought I was.  We actually do not junk food alot.  We all love veggies expecially my 6 year old.  I guess I was feeling like I was not "natural" since I was buying these fruits and veggies from the store knowing that they had to have had some chemicals.  I know that home grown is better, but I guess some it better than nothing.  We do eat a lot of chicken and buy our whole wheat bread.  I just got my husband converted ;D and he will actually eat the 100% whole wheat!  He was the hardest to switch.  Now, he is used to it and doesn't say anything. 

I have also been reading about the cleansing...I must admit...I am scared to death!  I read all of this and I don't understand part of it.  I have gone to suggested sights and I become even more confused.  I wish I just had word for word directions of what exactly I need to do.  I feed sort of stupid and way out there after reading everything...infor overload! :P

I have started (today) by just drinking lemon water with honey (no sugar or sweetener).  It is not bad.  I am going to stop all the other drinks including milk for at least a week and see how that goes.  I went to the health food store today but they were closed.  I will try again next week.  I am going ot try to take it one step at a time and see what happens.  I just hope I do the right steps in the right order!

PS...I get our whole wheat bread at the local bread store and it is relatively cheap usually 89 cents for the big loaf and I was paying 79 cents for the white!  the same whole wheat is about $2 at Walmart :)

Offline NinaS

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »
Hello Ladies,
 I have been having migraines every two weeks like clockwork. I just weaned my dd so I have started charting my cycle, and I thought I would also write down the days I get my migraines to see if there was a pattern.  There definitely IS. I get a migraine the day before I ovulate and the day before I start my period. I have never had this happen. This will be my second ovulation and period since weaning dd. Does anyone else have this? Is it just from all the hormones?
Thanks

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 02:24:05 PM »
Here is a thread on hormonal migraines that might help! :)
topics now merged. Thanks ~boysmama
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:09:32 AM by boysmama »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 11:41:03 AM »
Here is a thread on hormonal migraines that might help! :)

My daughter gets migraines with her period.  She takes Floradix Iron supplement and they are gone almost immediately.  I was told about this from another woman whose migraines seem to be related to her cycle.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:10:07 AM by boysmama »

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
Just read this thread. Floradix Iron Supplement? Where is this found? Must study more!!! Evidently, I am SO not alone!! :)  :-*
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 02:55:56 PM »
Another possible cause of menstrual migraines is a lack of magnesium, and supplementing around the time of menstruation might be helpful.  Below are a couple of links with some info on it:

Some authors have proposed that the low magnesium levels may be a trigger for menstrual migraine. Mauskop et al[36] reported a deficiency in ionized magnesium in 45% of attacks of menstrual migraine, while only 15% of nonmenstrually related attacks had a deficiency. They also demonstrated that attacks associated with low ionized magnesium could be aborted by intravenous magnesium infusions.[37] Facchinetti et al[38] demonstrated that menstrual migraine could be prevented by administration of oral magnesium during the last 15 days of the menstrual cycle.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/528774_5

This link is about the migraine-magnesium problem, generally, but also talks about it in relation to menstruation and hormones:

http://www.ctds.info/magnesium-migraine.html
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »
Migraines with cycles is one of many signs of estrogen dominance.  Birth control pills are loaded with estrogen, btw, but so is our food supply, water, plastics, soy, etc, etc.

You might want to read Dr. John Lee's books on balancing hormones - he has info in there about migraines and cycles.  Beeyoutiful has some really good articles at their website, and they sell natural biodentical progesterone (super safe) as well.

Offline Janacat

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
I too suffer. After the birth of my second child I breastfed and was migraine free for a year until I started to wean. Then whammy, the worst in ages. They aren't as bad now. But, I still get mild ones. Also, I was irregular since the beginning. ( I was diagnosed with PCOS and have Hashimotos thyroiditis, when I was trying to get pregnant). I was regular for a whole year and a half after the weaning and now I am getting irregular again. I am going to be 40 this year, so maybe premenopausal. I am going to loo into the Dr. John Lee book. I have read up in thyroid and tried tons of things. I have not ried tart cherry or red raspberry tea. I was taking Evening Primrose oil for years and stopped in the last few months due to money issues, but the migraines still were there. Any other suggestions, I too would welcome. I have Tension Tamer from beeyoutiful which helps temporarily and in mild cases.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »
Have you guys considered Vitex?  It's actually just an herb called chasteberry, which has been used since ancient times to help 'reset' the endocrine system and balances hormones that way.  It's the go-to remedy in Europe for hormone imbalance, with the pill being a distant second and only in extreme cases.  I recently read about another herb that does a similar thing, but can't recall the name it at the moment. 

If it's an issue of estrogen dominance, then both these threads are really good to read:
Xenoestrogens, which are artificial estrogen sources.
Phytoestrogens which are plant/food based estrogen sources.

I've also read that progesterone drops much faster than estrogen decreases after the early 30's, so that is also a challenge to keep the two in balance.

HTH!

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 04:52:59 PM »
Yes, it is such an incredibly common problem especially for women in their mid-30s and up.  We are literally pickled in xenoestrogens (meat, dairy, fragrances, chemicals, water supply which gets in our food supply). 

Progesterone is very safe used correctly, and is present in MASSIVE amounts when we are pregnant.  It is the 'good' balance (pro-good  gest-keep that little one safely growing).  Long term estrogen dominance is the major cancer factor to be concerned with.  A bit confusing, because doctors typically will say symptoms at age 35 or 40 are 'typical estrogen dominant' ones.  However, if left unchecked year after year, it can lead to cancer, according to Dr. Lee.  Iodine is very useful (12 mg daily) for those who want to research the thyroid-breast cancer connection.

I've also read that progesterone drops much faster than estrogen decreases after the early 30's, so that is also a challenge to keep the two in balance.

HTH!

Offline momtogrif

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »
I, too, suffer from headaches during my cycle and even though my cycle is light, a friend suggested I try an iron supplement.  But, I don't particularly care for iron supplements so I found a whole food supplement called Blood Builder from Mega Food.  The main source of iron is from organic beet root and I tried it last month and I didn't get a headache.  Not sure if it was coincidence so I will be taking it again this week as my cycle is going to start soon.

Offline Janacat

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »
I was told by a health food store worker to take Evening Primrose Oil supplements. Not fool proof. But it is a good oil to supplement for women.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »
Can anyone add an update on what treatments work for you?

Since I last posted I had a round of hormone fluctuations that brought back hormonal migraines. I believe it was adrenal stress which affected all the other hormones.
A friend gave me some Female Formula based on Dr. Schulze and Dr Christopher's Female formula with vitex and other herbs, and I also used adrenal supportive herbs and supplements.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 05:30:10 PM »
I've also been dealing with these a bit more regularly lately, too. 

Nothing helpful to report, here.

I'd love to hear some fresh ideas!

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 09:12:55 AM »
I have to take huge amounts of calcium when I have just had a baby or just get preggy. I use bone ami from beeyoutiful and take about 1500 mg a day, sometimes it take as much as 2000 mg a day for a few days to get rid of my migraines.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 06:16:34 AM »
Being one month postpartum I'm dealing with these currently.   :P Chloryphyll, Floradix, and magnesium didn't touch these, but calcium did make an immediate difference. Day 2 of no headache.  :) Thanks, Sewbusy.

I'm also working on adrenal support and other methods to help me through the hormone shift...but none of that made an immediate impact.