† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Schools of Herbalism  (Read 5451 times)

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
Schools of Herbalism
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:35:03 AM »
I am looking to further my herbal education and I have considered several different schools in herbalism. I am (more than ever) very interested in aromatherapy as "Samantha's Tea Garden" is moving steadily more in that direction. I also have been very interested in becoming a midwife some day (whenever my Mr. Visionary decides to settle down in one place. ::) ;)) I would LOVE an intensive course which will take me down into the nitty-gritty of bodily functions and natural health, including how-to's on growing, cultivating and utilizing herbs, and also wildcrafting. Because we live in Texas and I've not yet found any schools on herbalism in Texas (only massage therapy and Chinese medicine, which are good, but not really what I'm looking for) I have decided I will most likely take by correspondence.

Does anyone know of any schools of good report which offer correspondence, or do you have any personal experience with any natural health schools which offer extensive/intensive herbal studies?

Thanks so much!!!
Samantha   

njmama

Re: Schools of Herbalism
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:08:30 AM »
I used Shonda Parker's herbalist course and was/am pleased. She also offers many midwife textbooks on her birthing site.

http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/NHFHSC.htm

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »
I used Shonda Parker's herbalist course and was/am pleased. She also offers many midwife textbooks on her birthing site.

http://www.naturallyhealthy.org/NHFHSC.htm

Thanks for this suggestion. Shonda Parker is very popular around here. Our family's midwife has known her for a long time, and I REALLY enjoyed her book The Naturally Healthy Pregnancy. I never knew she offered an herbalism course tho. I will be checking this out. Thanks again.   ;D

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 04:06:46 AM »
Hooray!  Hubby said that I can take this course once we have the money saaved up!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 07:24:43 AM »
BUMP!
I, too, would like to know what kind of certifications there are to herbs and herbal medicines.  I just feel like the way our country is going they may find it "playing doctor"  or even illegal to give your own self and your family herbs for treatment.  I just want to be able to "show" some sort of certification that won't lead to any problems.

njmama

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 07:35:36 AM »
From Shonda Parkers website:
Will my Professional Herbalist Certification be recognized by any state health licensing agencies?

No. In the United States, there is no current governing body that regulates herbalists or officially certifies herbalists. No school providing herbal education can promise certification that will be recognized by the state or federal government as there is no licensing or registration body. The American Herbalist's Guild (AHG) is an independent organization working to set standards for practicing herbalists, and each of the students certified through our own Institute for Family Herbal Care is responsible for seeking their own recognition through the AHG, if they so desire. We do provide education for you to meet AHG's core requirements for AHG certification.

American Herbalists Guild website:
http://www.americanherbalistsguild.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=20

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 07:54:30 AM »

No. In the United States, there is no current governing body that regulates herbalists or officially certifies herbalists.

This is interesting.  So, if there is nothing to state what a certified herbalist is, then why be certified?  Is this what it is saying?

njmama

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 08:02:43 AM »
The AHG has set up basic guidlines of information that a herbalist needs to know. It differs from a family herbalist to professional herbalist. The US government does not recognize herbal medicine so therefore does not regulate  it or even accept it as legitimate.

From the AHG site:
 Careers in herbalism include working within the herb industry as an herb buyer, formulator, researcher, consultant, retailer, grower, medicine maker, writer/journalist, or educator. Some herbalists have found positions working in practices with physicians or other practitioners. While there are opportunities for working in an integrative setting, this is not a solid career path because it is still illegal to practice herbal "medicine" as a non-licensed practitioner .In the current climate even licensed health professionals are at risk if they practice or supervise a practitioner of herbal medicine.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 08:12:58 AM »
While there are opportunities for working in an integrative setting, this is not a solid career path because it is still illegal to practice herbal "medicine" as a non-licensed practitioner

So, does this "illegal to practice herbal medicine" thing apply to us doing it to our own children?  Or just when we try to do it for others whilst seeking "monetary" compensation?  I am just wondering how to answer doctors and such if they know that I am giving "herbal medicines" to my children and refusing antibiotics and such.  Do you know what I mean?

njmama

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 08:20:28 AM »
No, it's not illegal to use herbal supplements. We can give them to our children. I am not sure how herbalists or naturopaths do it legally. I know herbs as medicines aren't recognized but it is legal to sell them as supplements. Promises of cures aren't allowed and labelling is restricted on them. It has been a while since I researched it.

As far as a discussion with your doctor I don't know. It would be variable on how the dr feels about the subject.

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 10:08:31 AM »
My mom is a Master Herbalist - she also found out that the certificate doesn't do much for you.  Rats!

As far as the herbs and diagnosing etc goes this is what she has found:

You can give reccommendations or treatment plans to people as long as you don't Claim to be a doctor and charge for your advice or make and sell the product you recommend for them to use.

In other words you may make and market tinctures but you may not tell people how to use them, your friend has to do that for you.   ;)  How dumb! ::)

Of course, you can do both, until you get caught.   :o

Also, you can do whatever you want with your own family, they are your God given guinea pigs.(speaking from my experience  ;))   :D  LOL.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 10:13:40 AM by chopchop »

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 03:53:40 PM »
I understand that furthering education is about experience, I was just asking for a school or course that I could take for intensive study. I enjoy intensive study, when it's something of interest to me.

I have found a school out of Oregon. My parents and I like the look of it, I plan to enroll for their 18 month course next year, God willing.

Offline LisaB

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
I took a correspondence course in herbology from Dr. Christopher's School of Natural Healing.
http://schoolofnaturalhealing.com/snh_cc.htm

They have different programs to choose from.