Author Topic: Infant Formula: Safe & Healthy Alternatives to Breastmilk  (Read 68199 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Anneatheart

• Adept
Re: Infant Formula: Safe & Healthy Alternatives to Breastmilk
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 11:37:23 AM »
I was reading my Nourishing Traditions book again, and am thinking of trying the homemade baby formula recipe. I don't have access to raw cows milk; the best source I have is organic, hormone/antibiotic free milk that has been pasteurized and homogonized. Would it still work for the recipe? I don't have the recipe with me to put up here, but it calls for many items, and I was wondering if anyone has ever made homemade formula and how it worked.

Currently my dd will not drink the bottle right now, not sure why,possibly teeth, but it's bothering me she's only taking 2-3 oz at a feeding when she used to swill 8oz.

Jessica

Offline stevia mama

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »
I would like to get opinions on organic baby formula.  My daughter is almost 10 months and just doesn't really want to breastfeed as long (not sure why??) and because of that she is not getting enough (she's very fussy a lot).  I have been supplementing with Similac which seems to really satisfy her (she's much more content between feedings), but I cringe whenever I give it to her.  I was thinking of purchasing Horizon Organic Formula.  I know about Sally Fallon's recipe in Nourishing Traditions, but I'm a little hesitant to make my own and I think my husband would not like the idea.  I started making formula from goat's milk powder (I read about it in another thread), but she doesn't seem to like the taste and has gotten a rash.  So I just don't know what to do???  I thought about pumping, but it's a big expense to buy or rent a pump for only two months.  Plus, I'm thinking that she doesn't like the taste of my milk (maybe because my period started a couple months ago?).  I could really use some encouragement and some wisdom in this situation.  As you can imagine, this is very important to me.
As my middle daughter and I walked into a rather smelly public bathroom she said in a sing songy voice, "I smell something I like to eat. . .eggs!"

Offline anynomouse

• Adept
  • my babies
    • Daisy Blue Naturals consultant web page
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 02:08:13 AM »
10 months is awesome for nursing you child....it is so much better than the more common 8 weeks, that most mothers do as a token effort these days.
I am lucky, I was able to nurse both my children for over a year and had no problems...perhaps she is a more "food" oriented child? Have you tried more fatty veggies like Avocado with her?  (be careful it can make her over fill her diaper if you give her too much)

I have to leave the formula advise up to the others here, as I have never used any.
(there has got to be someone here who is unable to breast feed, I know that is something that many mothers face. I have known three women who just don't get milk...even trying fenugreek, and mothers milk tea)

I feel like I am running my mouth, sorry....no coffee yet today

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:21:29 AM »
Doesn't it also give a recipe of something you can add to bought formula that will make it healthier in NT? I think you did great to nurse her for 10 mo. don't feel condemned for giving her formula. God knows your heart and He can fill in all the gaps including formula ones. :) If it 's any comfort, my first 2 were given alot of formula and they are very healthy and active kids. God has done a work in my heart since then, and i usually nurse for about a yr. Depends who you listen to that 's not near long enough but my dh said it is and that's that. ;D He deserves to have his wife's body back, it is after all, his. It's far more important to give your child love and a great home than breast milk. trust your dh. in what he tells you to do, i believe very strongly that God gives them wisdom in every area in our home if we let them be the leader, including what to feed our children.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 02:29:05 AM »
Couldn't you just start her early on raw milk?  I mean, she is only two months away from when the doctors say it is okay.  The only thing about Horizon is, they are no more organic than your regular milk out there.  They were busted for treating their cows the same as non-organic farmers.  Kinda disappointing, I know.  But do what you feel is right for your baby.  Any formula is better than the poor little thing going hungry.

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 03:06:39 AM »
IMO I think that your baby is getting ready for more table food. My daughter started naturally weaning herself off of breastfeeding around 10 months.  It was very natural she was feeding 4-5 times a day (no nights) and then she just started dropping a feeding every couple of weeks. My son did the same thing but he did it all just three weeks prior to his first birthday. My kids both just would not breastfeed anymore, were very disinterested if they did. Also, as my babies got more active it was very hard for them to stop and breastfeed. They were busy and the time it took to  breastfeed was not worth stopping for them anymore.

If it were me, I would stay away from formula and go to milk as was suggested in previous posts.

I would start offering her some of the foods that were suggested in the previous posts. My son at first needed to eat 5 times a day. He would not eat much food at one sitting. Now I have to stop him from eating because he loves it so much! He is 12 1/2 months old. He was the type of baby that was always interested in what we were eating at the table.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 03:18:00 AM »
I would like to get opinions on organic baby formula.  My daughter is almost 10 months and just doesn't really want to breastfeed as long (not sure why??) and because of that she is not getting enough (she's very fussy a lot).  I have been supplementing with Similac which seems to really satisfy her (she's much more content between feedings), but I cringe whenever I give it to her.  I was thinking of purchasing Horizon Organic Formula.  I know about Sally Fallon's recipe in Nourishing Traditions, but I'm a little hesitant to make my own and I think my husband would not like the idea.  I started making formula from goat's milk powder (I read about it in another thread), but she doesn't seem to like the taste and has gotten a rash.  So I just don't know what to do???  I thought about pumping, but it's a big expense to buy or rent a pump for only two months.  Plus, I'm thinking that she doesn't like the taste of my milk (maybe because my period started a couple months ago?).  I could really use some encouragement and some wisdom in this situation.  As you can imagine, this is very important to me.

hi stacy!  is this your first?  sounds like you have done great to make it this long!  my first weaned at 5 mo. (inexperienced me!) and second at 8, tho with him i pumped for 4-6 weeks and fed it to him.  i have learned so much since then, and toughened up a great deal!  i wonder if you fed her every 2-3 hours for a couple days (or feed then pump in between) you might get your supply up and she might be more interested.  i would also let her have some of what she could from my plate at each meal.  also, you may have already tried this, but the mother's milk tea or fenugreek could possibly make the milk more rich, as would eating the avacado yourself.  not sure how you feel, two of my babies weaned prematurely and it was heartbreaking for me.  especially to feed them formula, which i did.  it's amazing how much wisdom we learn with each baby.  oh, to be able to do it over again!   ::)  i feel i could face the same problems/challenges and handle them fine!   :D  you've done great and good luck with whatever you decide.   ;) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 04:02:21 AM »
Couldn't you just start her early on raw milk?  I mean, she is only two months away from when the doctors say it is okay.  The only thing about Horizon is, they are no more organic than your regular milk out there.  They were busted for treating their cows the same as non-organic farmers.  Kinda disappointing, I know.  But do what you feel is right for your baby.  Any formula is better than the poor little thing going hungry.

What!? Horizon isn't safe? I'm paying a fortune for that stuff.  It makes me sick to think they are putting hormones in the cows.......
Well, what store bought milk is safe?
When were they caught?

groooaaannnn  >:(

Offline nursegirl

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 06:53:01 AM »
I agree with the pp that said your baby's probably more interested in table food.  If she's healthy, at an adequate weight, and wants it, I'd just start giving her more solids.  I have an 11-month-old (corrected age 8 months) who's daily intake is probably 50% formula, 50% baby food.  He is just so interested in real food, and he usually eats it better than formula.  Now, he's pretty underweight for his age, so I still give him formula as much as he'll take it, because he needs the calories.

Good for you--10 months of nursing!  You should be proud of yourself!

Sarah

Offline sarahc

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 05:48:07 AM »
I just found out that I am expecting our third child.  Our 2nd is not even 6 months old.  The problem is that I get very ill with my pregnancies.  My first only weighed 4 pounds and my second only 6 because I can't keep anything down the entire pregnancy--including water.  When I found out I was expecting my 2 the doctor said I had to stop nursing.  I know they are going to tell me the same thing this time also.  Does anyone have any ideas on if I can make any formula myself that would be safe to give my child.  I would keep nursing if I could.  Maybe someone has some suggestion on what I could do to keep from getting so ill.  Thank you.

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 06:37:57 AM »
Sally Fallon offers a couple of recipes in her book Nourishing Traditions and I believe on her website.  She goes into a lot of detail about what is in it and why and so it would be difficult to just post the recipes.  The book is a great nutrition education in itself and worth the expense if you can swing it.  the website is www.westonaprice.org
I also had a friend that used raw goats milk with something added.  Sally Fallon talks about this option in her book as well. 

Tammy

Offline sarahc

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 06:39:36 AM »
Thank you, I will check it out.  I don't want to stop nursing but I don't know that I will have a choice.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2006, 11:52:21 AM »
I just found out that I am expecting our third child.  Our 2nd is not even 6 months old.  The problem is that I get very ill with my pregnancies.  My first only weighed 4 pounds and my second only 6 because I can't keep anything down the entire pregnancy--including water.  When I found out I was expecting my 2 the doctor said I had to stop nursing.  I know they are going to tell me the same thing this time also.  Does anyone have any ideas on if I can make any formula myself that would be safe to give my child.  I would keep nursing if I could.  Maybe someone has some suggestion on what I could do to keep from getting so ill.  Thank you.

you could try accupuncture for the throwing up, as i know it has helped some people.  also you could try tummy tune up which i know has worked for some (taking 2 or 3 a day).  somewhere on here there are a bunch of threads about morning sickness and different ways of making it go away.  hope you find something, i know that can be miserable.  God Bless. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Elizab04

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 02:22:48 PM »
Wal-mart sells a brand of Organic baby formula.  I don't know if it is Horizon or not.  Also,  watch the cheaper formula.  The first ingredient is corn syrup!   :o

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »
Could you borrow a breast pump from a friend for the last few weeks? 

And what's this about horizon getting busted?!!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 06:04:48 PM »
When my mother couldn't breastfeed one of my baby sisters, we used powdered goat's milk. We were very pleased and she drank it very well. Here is the brand we used:

http://www.meyenberg.com/?action=facts

We got it locally from our health food store. We would sometimes order cases of it. I know we didn't have an excess of money at the time, so it must not have been overly expensive, although most likely more expensive than regular supermarket-shelf baby forumla (high in iron and other things which are terrible for little babies.)

I do have the "conviction" or belief that goats milk is the best, healthiest, safest and easiest for babies to digest of all the alternatives to breast milk. Plus it is natural. ;)

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 08:56:22 AM »
Hi ~ This is something I've been wondering about, since I was only able to breastfeed my little one for 4 months.  I feel like I tried EVERYTHING ~ pumping, vitamins, fenugreek, drinking the tea, etc., anything anybody suggested, I tried, but it just went away.   :(  The only thing I can figure is that it was just too hot here this summer, and I couldn't drink enough water ~ she started sleeping 12 hours at night about that time, and it was gone!  Being THE most rigid breastfeeding advocate of all my friends :) this is a little ironic and of course heartbreaking for me.  It kills me to give her formula.  I've read that you can do almond milk mixed with papaya or something like that; has anybody done this?  I'd really like to stop giving her the chemicals in formula  :-[

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 09:14:18 AM »
Hi ~ This is something I've been wondering about, since I was only able to breastfeed my little one for 4 months.  I feel like I tried EVERYTHING ~ pumping, vitamins, fenugreek, drinking the tea, etc., anything anybody suggested, I tried, but it just went away.   :(  The only thing I can figure is that it was just too hot here this summer, and I couldn't drink enough water ~ she started sleeping 12 hours at night about that time, and it was gone!  Being THE most rigid breastfeeding advocate of all my friends :) this is a little ironic and of course heartbreaking for me.  It kills me to give her formula.  I've read that you can do almond milk mixed with papaya or something like that; has anybody done this?  I'd really like to stop giving her the chemicals in formula  :-[

I have wondered about young coconut water for this purpose.  I'm sure it wouldn't provide enough fat, if any, but for part of their diet it seems like it would provide some really good stuff.  I give it to my kids when they have a stomach virus in the place of gatorade, to keep them hydrated.  Not that I am recommending this, but it seems to work.  It's full of electrolytes and other good stuff, best of all - no sugar!  I'm sure someone else would know more about this than I do.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 09:17:19 AM »
When my mother couldn't breastfeed one of my baby sisters, we used powdered goat's milk. We were very pleased and she drank it very well. Here is the brand we used:

http://www.meyenberg.com/?action=facts

We got it locally from our health food store. We would sometimes order cases of it. I know we didn't have an excess of money at the time, so it must not have been overly expensive, although most likely more expensive than regular supermarket-shelf baby forumla (high in iron and other things which are terrible for little babies.)

I do have the "conviction" or belief that goats milk is the best, healthiest, safest and easiest for babies to digest of all the alternatives to breast milk. Plus it is natural. ;)

I second this.  I dried up when my dd was six months, and I was pregnant.  I also used Mayenburg goats milk.  I did like the liquid concentrate better, which Walmart carries, but I also used the powdered.  There is more information on using goats milk for babies elsewhere on WTM.  

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 11:24:05 AM »
regular supermarket-shelf baby forumla (high in iron and other things which are terrible for little babies.)

Where did you get the information that says that high iron is terrible for babies? How high is too high?

I also want to make the formula in Sally Fallons book but have no source of Raw Milk and I also wonder if I used store bought milk and used the rest of the ingredients in the recipe if it would be healthier then store-bought formula...? I hate that the milk in the formula is low fat!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:48:45 AM by savedbygrace »

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »
About powdered goats milk....do you mix it with water?  And (not that it matters, because you want to do what's best for your babies anyway) how does price compare?  I spent $50 yesterday on 10 days worth of Enfamil! 

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »
About powdered goats milk....do you mix it with water?  And (not that it matters, because you want to do what's best for your babies anyway) how does price compare?  I spent $50 yesterday on 10 days worth of Enfamil! 

Yike!  That is a lot of money!!! :o Yes, you mix it with water.  The one can of powder costs around $10, I think.  It's been about 2 years since I bought it, so I could be off a little.  It lasted around 2 weeks, I think. The canned is about $2 at Walmart.  I think it lasted me about 1 1/2 or so.  It's a little more than the powder, but I like it better.  More conventient for home use.  Powder travels better, though

Here is a link about feeding goats milk to babies.  It should answer some more of your questions. http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1656.0.html

This link has even more info.  You should read both if you are interested in goats milk for your baby. http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3644.0.html

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 11:57:31 AM »
Here's where I get the powdered goat milk- it is cheaper here than in the HFS, and they charge only $5. flat rate shipping (plus I get a lot of my suppliments here anyway):

http://www.vitacost.com/MeyenbergGoatMilkPowderwithVitaminDKosher
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Tmomrox

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 08:01:09 PM »
I just found out that I am expecting our third child.  Our 2nd is not even 6 months old.  The problem is that I get very ill with my pregnancies.  My first only weighed 4 pounds and my second only 6 because I can't keep anything down the entire pregnancy--including water.  When I found out I was expecting my 2 the doctor said I had to stop nursing.  I know they are going to tell me the same thing this time also.  Does anyone have any ideas on if I can make any formula myself that would be safe to give my child.  I would keep nursing if I could.  Maybe someone has some suggestion on what I could do to keep from getting so ill.  Thank you

My last three little ones were about a year apart each, so I ran into the same issue.  My doctor also told me that I should stop nursing at 20 weeks pregnant.  I've found that your supply goes way, way down, but you will not completely dry up.  If you really want to continue to nurse for nutrition and bonding purposes, talk to your doctor about splitting nursing/formula half and half or whatever works for your schedule.  In my experience, I did not make adequate milk for baby while I was pregnant, but I did make some.  Better than none!  So, I supplemented with formula, though I didn't like it.  Dh is not open to trying other things.  However, a friend suggested goats milk w/carrot juice.  I would probably try that if he were willing in the future.

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 03:45:07 AM »
I have an 11 month old that for some reason, just isn't nursing well. This morning, she refused one side completely. She does have a some sinus congestion so that's probably affecting her, but she has to eat! I can't express--I just can't get any out that way anymore. She will drink milk, if I warm it up for her. So my question is, if I can't get her to continue nursing, what are your thoughts on supplementing with good, raw milk versus formula.

BTW, she is eating solids very well, too.

Aura

Offline Melly

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 04:08:05 AM »
My son weaned himself qt 10 months and I started him on raw cows milk.  He did fine, but some babies are sensitive to this.  Watch for anything out of the ordinary: rashes etc.  I don't know much about formula but my inclination is to stay away from it.  Goat's milk is a good option.  Very easy on little systems.
I think there is another thread about this for more info if you search.
These decisions are so hard sometimes!  We all want the VERY BEST for our kids!

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 04:27:01 AM »
I had a similar situation with both of my kids - if they are eating table food fine then in my opinion you would be fine to start some type of milk. I started both of mine at 11 months on it because of this reason - I could not pump and get enough milk and they were weaning themselves. I started slow and just used regular whole milk for both and they did fine.

My youngest was still breastfeeding 3 times a day at 11 months but I was not producing as much as he wanted and I needed something to assist with filling him up. So milk was the option I chose. Then two weeks before he turned 1 he weaned himself down until the day before his birthday was his last breastfeeding and that was only because I was pushing it at that point.

I do not think that they would have taken formula at that point even if I was inclined to give it because the taste is just so strong and different from what they were used to.

I never asked my pediatrician about this because I know that she would have said to give formula. I just went with my instincts and tried it out.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 05:04:34 AM »
My son was drinking raw milk from age...7 or 8 mos, I think?  It was in addition to nursing.  When we went away for Christmas to visit relatives, we gave him the "regular" store bought whole milk.  He started spitting it up.  When we got home, and he was drinking raw milk again, the spitting up stopped.

All that to say, I think that raw milk would be fine - way better than formula.  Just watch your baby for adverse reactions.   ;D
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »
anyone with more ideas on coconut milk/water (where do you get the coconut water...I see the milk in the store though) for babies? my dd is 10 1/2 months and I think I am drying up. I'm 3 months pregnant so nursing more often or herbs are not a good idea and pumping makes me crampy so that is out of the question. Despite nursing her she is only wetting a diaper 2-3 x a day-NOT GOOD! She's doing a little better about eating table foods but I definatley need to get some more liquid in her. Of course she only wants the breast anyways so i don't know how I will convince to drink from a bottle or even a cup (she drinks from both occasionally, but not "full Meals" ) for a meal...but I shall try!!