Author Topic: Milk Thistle  (Read 13518 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Milk Thistle
« on: October 06, 2006, 05:50:08 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good Milk Thistle product?  SuperMom contains milk thistle, but I can't take it because of the extra iron.

Thanks.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Milk Thistle
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 06:36:49 AM »
I just found out that if you're allergic to ragweed, that milk thistle could inflame these allergies.  Just a head's up.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »
Ok, I'm trying not to start new threads unnecessarily...
So I have a question on milk thistle. I read in the morning sickness thread that it was good for nausea because of its action on the liver. I went to buy some, and the only way I found it was as a dried herb. I bought it, but now I'm wondering how to use it. I've tried making tea with it, but it the taste of it makes me gag. I went back to the morning sickness thread, and found out that those who used it there took it in capsules. I haven't found it in capsules, so what do I do with it now ?...

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:40:07 AM »
Nature's Way brand capsules are a good quality herb.  The name of milk thistle in medicinal herbs is 'Silymarin'.  Should be at your health food store. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »
Here's a post I had about Milk Thistle and Silymarin in the Liver Function thread:

Silymarin is actually the active ingredient in milk thistle.  I like to take just silymarin because I've read various places that Milk Thistle itself is not very water soluble, so it isn't very potent as a tea.  Not that it doesn't work!  HIO is proof of  that.     

Here's a couple quotes I found about Silymarin:

Milk thistle contains a group of active compounds called silymarin, an antioxidant that destroys cell-damaging free radicals in the liver. Silymarin, as well as its most active compound silibinin, can counteract damage to the liver caused by viruses, alcohol, acetaminophen (Tylenol) and other medications, environmental and bacterial toxins, and poisonous mushrooms.

Since milk thistle is poorly absorbed, drinking it in a tea doesn’t work very well. Look for concentrated formulas extracted from the seeds of the plant. These standardized capsules contain 70-80% silymarin or silibinin which is quickly absorbed into the blood where it goes to work.

How To Make Tea:

Milk Thistle is unique in that you can not make a medicinal cup of tea out of milk thistle seed and water alone. Silymarin, the active ingredient in Milk Thistle, is alcohol soluble. What this means is that Milk Thistle is not extracted in water effectively. In our research alcohol based extracts are the most effective means of ingesting Milk Thistle. This is why our company was born. It is not effective for anyone to buy milk thistle seed in bulk for the use of making traditional herbal tea. We wanted to create a solution. So, if you want to make milk thistle tea, your best bet is to find a high quality extract. From here, 1) Heat up a cup of water to near boiling. 3) Add the extract to the water and now you have an effective cup of milk thistle tea to enjoy.

http://www.skyeherbals.com/materia_medica/milk_thistle.php

Also, it mentioned this about the effects of milk thistle and the skin:

Inflammation:

Milk Thistle is also a Demulcent, meaning that it soothes and moistens the mucus membranes, kidney and bladder irritations and inflammations in general. Being a demulcent, it also greatly softens and moistens the skin. Patients with skin problems ranging from acne to severe eczema have reported a clearing of skin impurities, healing of redness and inflammation, a dramatic softening and moistening of dry, cracking skin, and a noticeable glow and radiance to the skin quality.

It suggested that the best thing to do in order to get the most good from milk thistle is to drink it as tea (for the benefits of the milk thistle itself) and to also take an extract or capsule of syilymarin to get the best bioavailability of that active ingredient to the liver.

So apparently Milk Thistle and the component Silymarin have different uses, and it's best to take a Milk Thistle tea or Silymarin extract (one or the other) according to what you are wanting to accomplish.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:49:16 PM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:03:58 AM »
 Thanks. So if I understand correctly, there is not much I can do with the dried up milk thistle. To make effective tea I need milk thistle extract, and otherwise it's just easier to take it in capsules... Oh well, I read somewhere to use dried milk thistle as pepper in food, so I tried crumbling it but got my fingers all pricked up !! :'(
I guess I'll just stick with ginger for morning sickness ! :)

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 03:31:56 AM »
Thanks. So if I understand correctly, there is not much I can do with the dried up milk thistle. To make effective tea I need milk thistle extract, and otherwise it's just easier to take it in capsules... Oh well, I read somewhere to use dried milk thistle as pepper in food, so I tried crumbling it but got my fingers all pricked up !! :'(
I guess I'll just stick with ginger for morning sickness ! :)

The only time the tea isn't as effective is when you need silymarin.  Then the silymarin is better extracted for greatest potency.  Even then, HIO mentioned in the liver function thread that she seemed to do pretty well with the tea. 

If you need the actual Milk Thistle (not the silymarin), then the tea is great. 

Sorry about your pricked up fingers!  :P
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 07:22:47 AM »
So I have a question on milk thistle. I read in the morning sickness thread that it was good for nausea because of its action on the liver. I went to buy some, and the only way I found it was as a dried herb. I bought it, but now I'm wondering how to use it. I've tried making tea with it, but it the taste of it makes me gag. I went back to the morning sickness thread, and found out that those who used it there took it in capsules. I haven't found it in capsules, so what do I do with it now ?...
Silymarin Liver Support
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 02:22:39 PM »
I'm also pregnant and during the first trimester read that it could help with morning sickness, but when I went to buy it I was told that it's not good to use when pregnant unless you start before you become pregnant.  So I checked it out with my natural doctor and she also said that because I have had two miscarriages I should not use it--it can act as a detox.   So, I stuck to ginger and probiotics.  Just thought I would throw that in there. 

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
Okay, I wondering, can I give my kids a silymarin supplement?  Especially since we will be chelating metals I want their liver to be okay.  So, if I have 300mg capsules of silymarin, could I give them each 1 per day (they are 7 and almost 5).  I'm assuming you can't overdose on it, but how long is it safe to take it for, even for an adult?  DH and I have been taking 2 capsules a day since doing the MC and plan on stopping after this bottle is gone.  Anyway, anyone know about the kids??

Thanks!!!!
abbilynn 
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 10:59:06 AM »
I would like to know if anyone gave their baby milk thistle?  Is 5 months too young?  My dd has psoriosis and someone told me that there could be a problem with the liver.  Since nobody knows what causes psoriosis, it kind of makes sense that maybe the liver is not getting rid of toxins or other stuff that it's supposed to do.  I would like to try giving her milk thistle, but I haven't found any info on how much and if it should be in liquid form or powder.  Any info will be really appreciated! :)

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 08:41:23 PM »
Bump :)

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »
Ok.  I made an herbal concoction that has Milk Thistle in it.  The day I bottled it I took a very small sip - probably 1/8 tsp.  That night around 2:30 am I broke out in hives.  I took some benedryl and woke up fine in the am.

The next day I took a bit larger dose:  1/4 - 1/2 tsp.  By late afternoon I was starting to itch again; took one benedryl and it seemed to help.  By late evening, bedtime-ish I had a full fledged rash going on.  The benedryl seemed to be having NO effect.  (I had taken another dose.)

This morning I was racking my brains, trying to figure out what is going on.  The only food I have eaten that is out of the ordinary are some white peaches, locally grown.  I peel them, but had wondered if I was allergic to some pesticide used.

Then, just a bit ago I remembered that I had just started taking this herbal supplement.  I read that rarely milk thistle can cause skin reactions and rashes (Note:  I am not allergic to ragweed). 

Has anyone had an experience like this? 
I'm wondering if it is indeed an allergic reaction, or if mayhaps my liver is being cleansed? ???

Any ideas?

O.  The only other thing that is in the concoction that I’ve never ingested before is kelp.

I am going to take a couple days off from the milk thistle concoction then try it again and see what happens.  I'll keep you posted!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:42:06 AM by ~esposita~ »
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 03:24:56 AM »

Has anyone had an experience like this? 
I'm wondering if it is indeed an allergic reaction, or if mayhaps my liver is being cleansed? ???

Any ideas?

Perhaps, your body is not used to so much milk thistle?  Have you drank milk thistle tea before?  Because if you just have a cup of tea and no reactions, then, I don't see how you would be allergic to it. KWIM?
I would wait a couple of days and have 1 tsp. of dried milk thistle to 1 cup of water.  Then, if you have no reaction, then try adding kelp to some food.  If no reaction to the kelp, then it may just be your liver?  HTH

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 08:47:23 AM »
You know...now I don't know!  Just an hour ago I started breaking out again!  On my hair line and on my back - you know, the spot you never can reach.

Itches like all get out...sorry.  Don't mean to derail...
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline BlessedMama2Four

• Nahum 1:7
  • Wide Eyed
  • Mama and baby #4
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 06:59:02 PM »
I have never heard of anyone breaking out from milk thistle. in fact, I have hep C- (contracted from my mother at birth) and I take over 3800 ml. a day. I have never had side effects from it- only good ones! I hope you discover what is causing it- maybe you are one of those rare people that are just allergic to it!
Sometimes crazy, mostly chaotic, but always a blessed life....

Offline BlessedMama2Four

• Nahum 1:7
  • Wide Eyed
  • Mama and baby #4
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »
Oh, and if you are looking for a good milk thistle product, go to Dr. Sandra Cabot's site- liverdoctor.com. Or try weightcontroldoctor.com if that doesn't work. She has some stuff called liver tonic, that I take, that is better than any other milk thistle I have ever found. i take 4 capsules a day. The health food stores don't sell any that's better. It also has other things in the capsules that are beneficial to your liver. It's great stuff. My mom has been on it for years, and her Hep C is almost non-existant. i am hoping for the same results!
Sometimes crazy, mostly chaotic, but always a blessed life....

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 06:30:31 AM »
How much milk thistle do you take during pregnancy ? Do you start progressivly ? I started taking it yesterday (1 capsule of 300mg with each meal) and have been having diarrhea today. Could that be related ? some sort of detoxing ?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:02:05 PM by chrysalyde »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 04:57:38 PM »
I have never heard of anyone breaking out from milk thistle. in fact, I have hep C- (contracted from my mother at birth) and I take over 3800 ml. a day. I have never had side effects from it- only good ones! I hope you discover what is causing it- maybe you are one of those rare people that are just allergic to it!
I'm allergic to milk thistle and chamomile (both in ragweed family) and they both give me problems.  It's possible that it's a detox reaction, releasing toxins from the liver, but I react every time I take it even when I have a good liver panel. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »
  I've got a question. I have some milk thistle seed. What is the best way to use it? Grind it and use it in capsules? Grind it and make a tincture out of it? Leave it whole and make a tincture out of it? I can't seem to find a good recipe anywhere for making a tincture. What I would like to use it for is healing a damaged liver. I have read that the standardized supplements are best for this. But right now I have the seeds and no extra finances. So I want to make the best use of what I have. Any ideas or links to a good tincture recipe would be so appreciated. Thanks.
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »
I just grind mine up in a coffee grinder, store in an amber glass bottle in the fridge and put about a spoonful in applesauce and eat it. I didn't want to bother with capsules. Worked just fine.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »
  I've got a question. I have some milk thistle seed. What is the best way to use it? Grind it and use it in capsules? Grind it and make a tincture out of it? Leave it whole and make a tincture out of it? I can't seem to find a good recipe anywhere for making a tincture. What I would like to use it for is healing a damaged liver. I have read that the standardized supplements are best for this. But right now I have the seeds and no extra finances. So I want to make the best use of what I have. Any ideas or links to a good tincture recipe would be so appreciated. Thanks.

Beth, Here's a link to an herb site that says you can grind and use in capsules or for tea. 
http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_thistle_milk.htm

I take mine in tincture made with a recipe from Sam Biser's 'Incurables' interview with Dr. R. Schulze.     Remember that with this as well as most herbal recipes, if there is an ingredient that you cannot get, just leave it out.  It's kinda a 'Some is better than none at all' thing. 

LIVER/GALL BLADDER HERBAL TONIC
     4 parts milk thistle seed
      1 1/2 part Oregon grape root
      1 part gentian root
      1/2 part dandelion root
      1/2 part ginger root
      1/2 part garlic
      1/2 part fennel seed

All herbs are ground - 'parts' are by measure - all ingredients are tinctured in high proof vodka for minimum of one month. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline paisley

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 02:37:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am a true believer in the benefits of taking milk thistle, but I also know that it shouldn't be taken for prolonged periods of time. 

Is there any kind of "rule of thumb" on how to take herbs such as this?  (specifically pill form)

Thanks!    :D
Wishing you a lifetime of good health and happiness
  :)  Paisley