Author Topic: Cold prevention in an infant  (Read 8743 times)

Offline LKS

• Master
Cold prevention in an infant
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:49:38 AM »
I apologize if this has already been adressed; I searched but did not find exactly what I was looking for. My baby is 10 weeks old and seems to be coming down with a cold. What can we give him to combat this and how do we give it to him? My husband would like to give him Vit C but we don't know how or how much? He just seems snuffly and out of sorts and we would like to stop it before it gets worse. Thanks, LKS

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Cold prevention in an infant
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:18:55 AM »
Health food stores carry Vit C drops for babies and young toddlers.  You could do a garlic poultice on the soles of the feet.  Also, you could search here:
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2457.0.html

or.....

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2742.0.html

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 04:16:28 PM »
This is going to sound so mean, but we give our kids tonic (the vinegar, horseraddish, ginger, onion, pepper, garlic juice) in applesauce.  Just one spoonful, not a whole bowl of it.  Our older son doesn't even flinch.  Haven't tried it on the little guy yet.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 04:48:06 PM »
My oldest dh got a cold when she was 1 week old.  (from my little brother, who was 2)  I sure wish I had the info on this site then!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 05:29:40 PM »
....or spread GOOT all over him.  Easy and convenient!  :) 

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 03:39:56 PM »
Can I spread GOOT all over him? Or just the soles of his feet?

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 06:42:06 PM »
Here comes a silly questions. . . .

What is GOOT ??? I assume you make it, and how do you do that? :-\
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 02:40:22 AM »
Can I spread GOOT all over him? Or just the soles of his feet?

well, it just depends on how garlicky you want him to smell. :) Feet and chest should be sufficient. 

Goot:  3T of minced garlic  3T of coconut oil  3T olive oil.  I just heat a little and mix.  You can process it if you want, and if you want you can strain out the garlic.  I don't strain it, but it is up to you.  I never have had anyone say that it burns (from the raw garlic). 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 04:56:40 AM »
Here comes a silly questions. . . .

What is GOOT ??? I assume you make it, and how do you do that? :-\

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2774.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:41:52 AM »
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Sophia

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 10:48:56 AM »
I have used essential oils on my children they seem to be able to handle them better than some tonics.
 ti- fu is used for a stuffy nose you can rub it on the bottum of the feet and it does help them breath better when they are stuffy.
I also like to spray thieves oil on them when we go out. It would be like spraying Lysol's which I don't own but healthy. You can get oils at a health food store they do work great we love them.
They were used often in Bible times.
Sophia

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 10:40:14 PM »
Can you tell me what is ti-fu ? What's in it ? What about Lysol ?  (I live in France so I can't find same brand names but can find similar things)Thank you.

Offline patiencecoral

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 10:40:37 AM »
What is ti-fu? I didn't see an answer to that? And can someone tell me more about GOOT? I'm new to welltellme. My nearly 8 month old has a very stuffy, very sneazy nose and a bit of a cough. No fever. I've been using a cool mist humidifier, Pediacare and a little children's sambucol. Any help is appreciated.
I don't even know how to post?? I'm just replying to this one. Thanks!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 03:12:55 PM »

Hey this is the goot link.I say use it use it use it NOTHING is better. ;D

I have used it on little babies many times.On there chest back neck feet when they have a cold.So nice.I have even put it on the top lip under their nose so they can breath better to nurse.

Em

Offline patiencecoral

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 01:03:19 PM »

Hey this is the goot link.I say use it use it use it NOTHING is better. ;D

I have used it on little babies many times.On there chest back neck feet when they have a cold.So nice.I have even put it on the top lip under their nose so they can breath better to nurse.

Em

Thank you Em. Goot seems to be the answer from most on this forum. I appreciate it.  :)

Offline berthday

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 05:00:06 PM »
my 10 week old is starting with a cold & cough. he is miserable. What can i do ?? I'm kinda freaking out...he seems to little to be getting sick!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 05:32:20 PM »
Anything you can do to boost your immunity will be passed along in your milk.  I love the Celestial Seasonings Cold and Flu tea.  Get it as quickly as possible, as the eccinacea really only works if started at the very onset of a cold.  Garlic, raw honey (just for you...not for the baby), and onions are also great for colds.  Maybe make homemade chicken soup and get a good dose of garlic in there.  I also keep a tube of airborne type stuff in the cabinet, as it's much faster than making tea (in case the kids or I wake up in the middle of the night feeling ill).

Things you can do for baby to help him be more comfortable and get his rest when he's not feeling well:
-Run a humidifier in his room
-Put him down to sleep in his car seat, so his head is elevated.  I put my little one in her car seat right in the crib.  She slept so much better that way.
-Let him get extra rest as his body is fighting an infection.
-Breastfeed often, and keep your nutrition up.  Boost your own immune system as much as possible with herbals and healthful foods.
-look up GOOT as a possiblity for helping baby's immunity.
-Get in his face a lot (see below)

I have noticed that I hardly ever get sick when I am caring for a famliy member who is ill.  I'm the one around the sickie the most.  Everyone else in the family will come down with it but me.  I'm almost convinced that being right in the face of a sick person can cause a healthy person's immune system to build up immunity to the bug.  So if you build up immunity, it will pass along in the milk.  (But this is just a personal theory.)

I was real worried about my little one as well, but she has been fine after her first little cold.  Hope he feels better soon!

~Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.