† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Insect & Spider Bites: Diagnosis & Treatments  (Read 34970 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Insect & Spider Bites: Diagnosis & Treatments
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2008, 05:31:18 PM »
Sure!  Knowing that she's having an allergic reaction may help you treat her internally immediately as well.  Do you have any ideas what you might do in the future for an allergic reaction?
(I'm curious, as I would like to know in case I get stung again.)  I am thinking of using plantain tincture internally  ??? as well as an external poultice.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »
I got a spider bite on my cheek, (at least I think it's a spider bite) and it's getting worse.  I posted some information  about it on this thread  Re: Cuts, Scrapes, Lesions, Abrasions, Sores, Wounds & Skin Infections.  I thought it was an infected boil or pimple but it seems more like a bite.  I can't go to the dr because I don't have insurance so I'm trying to treat it at home, but need lots of advice since I've never treated a spider bite.  Please help! Thank you all!
Here is a picture of the wound taken today. The yellow color is mostly from goldenseal.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2009, 03:28:40 PM »
Did you read my posts about a spider bite? I think they are on page two. I would use a drawing poultice like plantain, castor oil...my mind has gone blank on any other options. Plantain has done a marvelous job for us in drawing out poisons from bites and infection such as around a splinter.
Also use a little fresh GOOT or garlic poultice to combat secondary infection.
I would be watching for systemic response such as fever, tiredness and use immune boosting supplements and extra vit C.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
I just read that you can't find plantain. Try a warm castor oil compress. something like a gauze or cotton ball soaked in it taped onto the area....

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2009, 03:37:56 PM »
I did read your post, great info!! but as you already read, I can't find plantain, but I do have castor oil.  :)  Should I put anything in the castor oil? Like echinacea or garlic, or something like that? 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:40:59 PM by larissakissa »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »
I never did get any activated charcoal. It was just to far to run for some...

For future reference, Activated charcoal is just finely powdered hardwood charcoal. (Partly burnt wood) Any UNTREATED burnt wood will do, just finely crush it & mix with water to make a paste or slurry. Apply & let sit or soak the area in the slurry. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2009, 05:37:03 AM »
I never did get any activated charcoal. It was just to far to run for some...

For future reference, Activated charcoal is just finely powdered hardwood charcoal. (Partly burnt wood) Any UNTREATED burnt wood will do, just finely crush it & mix with water to make a paste or slurry. Apply & let sit or soak the area in the slurry. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

The only problem with Activated Charcoal would be that it might stain your face black.   :(    That goes away fairly quick though and Charcoal is always my first choice.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2009, 07:16:21 AM »
My son just got bit on the ear in his sleep and his ear swelled up HUGE! I bribed a kid into chewing up a clove of garlic for me and applied it to his ear. That is what snake charmers use when they get bit (I guess they keep it chewed up in thier cheek just in case). Anyhow, his ear started going down dramatically in size within hours.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:01 AM »
Sure!  Knowing that she's having an allergic reaction may help you treat her internally immediately as well.  Do you have any ideas what you might do in the future for an allergic reaction?
(I'm curious, as I would like to know in case I get stung again.)  I am thinking of using plantain tincture internally  ??? as well as an external poultice.

Sounds crazy but I am sticking with the chewed up garlic poultice...
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
I found this info, and thought it may be useful:
Indian Herb Recommendations for Insect Bites: http://www.manataka.org/page169.html
Purple Coneflower (Ecinacea)   The Plains Indians used this as a universal application for the bites and stings of all crawling, flying, or leaping bugs. Between June and September, the bristly stemmed plant, which grows in dry, open woods and on prairies, bears a striking purplish flower.

Stiff Goldenrod   The Meskwaki Indians of Minnesota ground the flowers into a lotion and applied it to bee stings.

Trumpet Honeysuckle   The leaves were ground by chewing and then applied to bees stings.

Wild Onion and Garlic   The Dakotas and Winnebagos applied the crushed bulbs of wild onions and garlics.

Mullein   A poultice of the wet puffy mullein seed pods  was used by many nations.
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2009, 05:40:50 PM »
Just found this as well:
Oregano oil has the ability to neutralize and extract venom from insects, spiders and snake bites. If you are planning to enjoy the great outdoors take a bottle with you.
[/size] http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/anti6.php

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2009, 03:40:07 AM »
I have heard of oregano oil being used before. Has anyone ever used electric shock to neutralize it?
Visit my-

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2009, 06:48:22 PM »
I haven't read the thread yet, but wanted to let you know of a mosquito bite remedy I read about in a magazine.  It really works!  Crush aspirin tablets to a powder and make a paste with a bit of water and rub it on the bites a couple of times a day.  It took the itching away instantly.

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2009, 09:42:57 AM »
I also know what works great on mosquito and bee/yellow jacket bites, rubbing alcohol.  If you rub some in right after you get bit, it takes the itching away and in a couple of minutes there's no pain, plus if you get swelled up after a bee sting, it takes down the swelling.  But you have to put it on right away.
I got stung by a yellow jacket just recently and rubbed in the alcohol, it didn't even swell up, didn't hurt after about 3 minutes and the only thing left after the sting- was just a red dot with a little spot around it (and that was about and hour later).  Works GREAT! ;D

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2009, 04:46:36 AM »
Around the third week of July this year (2009), I was bitten by something  ??? on my back, under or through my shirt, while in my neighbor's garage.  The bites were very small, about 12 in number, and clustered in an area about 1" diameter.  Within a couple of days, they had swelled together into one very painful, angry-looking welt.  At this point I began putting oil of oregano on it, which seemed to help somewhat with the pain.  Still, it was a full two weeks before the swelling and pain had subsided enough to stop using the oil of oregano.

A couple of days later, I became aware of some pain deep in my armpit, but could not locate the source.  After about 5 days, a very swollen lymph node could finally be felt.  Again, I used the oil of oregano; after another 5 days or so, the swelling and pain were gone.  I felt this was somehow connected with the bite(s), but thought this was the end of it. 

Just a couple of days later, a sharp pain came up in my hip, making it difficult to move my leg.  At the same time, I felt sharp, specific pain in my lungs.  It felt like pleurisy (inflammation of the lining of the lungs) which I have had several times before.  Nothing I did seemed to help the hip, nor the lungs. 

A couple of weeks later, still experiencing the hip and lung pain, which were now magnified, I began having chills and a fever.  I thought I had the flu. 

Two weeks later with the pain still there and the chills and fever undiminished, I went to the doctor.  After many tests, a round of antibiotics and steroids, a bone scan and two CT scans, all we knew for certain was what I did not have: cancer, autoimmunne disease, flu, bacterial infection, and some viruses.

Then, my right wrist and ankle became painful and started to swell.  They were both warm to the touch with a slight redness. At the same time, my vagina became very inflamed and painful. A few days later, I began to develop mouth ulcers.  None of the other symptoms had improved at all.

A visit with the naturopath who performed an EDS revealed black widow venom and a virus, parainfluenza type 3.  The naturopath thought perhaps the spider carried the virus, or the virus entered my body through the bite.  It is now Oct. 7, and I am still experiencing all the symptoms mentioned in this post.  In the last three days, I have begun taking epsom salt or Dead Sea salt baths twice a day.  This has relieved a lot of the swelling in my wrist and ankle, though not as much in the vagina yet.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?  Do you have any suggestions for me?  Any help would be very appreciated.  As you can imagine, 7 weeks of severe pain, fever and chills has left me rather spent.

Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2009, 05:31:01 AM »

Hi Mercy!!!

Look at this article.  I know it talks about two different bites, but still think it might give you some ideas!!

http://www.beeyoutiful.com/miracle-dust/

Love you!!!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mineó
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2009, 06:51:05 AM »
Swishing with comfrey tea has been very effective in healing mouth ulcers for me.  I read somewhere that they can indicate a B-vitamin or folic acid deficiency, though I can't remember where I saw it.

Castor oil packs would be great for any swollen lymph problems.  You could even do one close to the v@gina, maybe directly above it, or in the joint of your thigh.  There are tons of lymph nodes in that area.  You might even try one over the lungs, since castor oil gets the blood and lymph flowing, I don't think it could hurt.

As far as spider bites, DH gets them all the time, and we use bentonite clay, and then fresh aloe to help them heal.  You have to be diligent in treating them, or they can get out of hand.  Maybe a blood/liver purifier like dandelion or burdock since it seems to be systemic?

I'm so sorry all of this has happened to you!  You've really been through it!  It's good to see you on here, even so. :-*

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
I'm so sorry!  What a horrible ordeal you've been through! :o
Here are some herbs that would really help get you back on your feet:

Have you ever heard of plantain?  This amazing little plant has been used historically to heal spider & even poisonous snakebites.  It can pull vemon from a wound if applied immediately but it can also be taken internally.  In addition to it's pulling action (astringent) it also has the ability to neutralize venom.  Plantain tincture should be available at your local healthfood/herb shop, and you'll want to start it right away.  I have experience with this herb externally, and it is amazing.  Poison ivy and bites are no longer an issue in our home thanks to Plantain.  

There are some testimonials from people who have used it on this page: http://www.bulkherbstore.com/PLC?s=spider%20bite.  
The articles section at bulkherbstore also has at least two different articles about plantain usage...I couldn't find the one that I was looking for about a woman being bitten by a spider and taking half the bottle of tincture. :)
This video by Darryl Patton shows what broad leaf plantain looks like, as well as telling some history and stories about its use.  He mentions a brown recluse bite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHW68j4EmUs&feature=related  

There are many herbs that can help with viruses.  One that I've recently run across is called Rabbit Tobacco.  If you're in the southern U.S., it's easy to find and ready to harvest.  Here is an article and a photo that tells more about it:
http://www.thesouthernherbalist.com/rabbit.html
If you don't have accesss to rabbit tobacco, then check out the flu threads on WellTellMe or ask for antiviral herbal blends at your healthfood store.  Elderberry, garlic, eucalyptus oil (scent only) are some good ones.

If the epsom salts baths are helping, then continue to do them.  SClady posted this recipe on WTM a while back:
For a detox bath, I use 2 cups baking soda, 2 cups sea salt and (if I have it on hand) 1/4 to 1/3 cup bentonite clay.

Another thing that might really help is a cleanse.  Either calcium magnesium or vitamin C can offer a nice 'cleanse' just up your dosage daily until you hit 'tolerance' level.  You'll have loose bowels, but it will clean you out without any other negative side effects.  The C would be good for the virus, and the calcium magnesium would be great for the joint pain.

Since this has been in your system so long, you'll really want to pamper youself and give it a good long time of taking extra care to get your immune system back in good shape.  Hopefully, your ND would work with you on that, and see you through this health crisis.  

~Gwen

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:47 AM »
The article is about activated charcoal.  Which is better?  That or the benonite clay?  Can you use both?  What about milk thistle?  Would that help strengthen the liver as well?

Also, I'd think that skn brushing might help.  T-tapp also.

And I have lots of plantain if you need some.  But you have to come visit in order to get it. ;)  No, no.  Only teasing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:26:59 AM by floydian »
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mineó
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »
Just a thought for the swollen lymph glands.  We have used garlic internally for viruses and such.  But when my son got a terrible sore throat with swollen lymph glands and tonsils covered in sores, a friend suggested that we use diced raw garlic as poultices.  He'd been taking garlic internally, but had serious symptoms for 2 days with no signs of it getting better.

The second night, after she'd suggested the garlic, I diced up 2 cloves, wrapped each in a napkin, and doused each one with about a T of boiling water.  Let them cool, and then apply them to both sides of the neck (or over your swollen lymph glands).  Hold in place for 2 minutes.  The next morning, he was remarkably better.  

You can continue this practice as needed, every hour.  The garlic delivers a strong boost of the natural antibiotics directly into the lymphatic system and blood stream.  Eating garlic is a good thing, but it has to go through the filtering organs before entering the bloodstream, so the external application is much stronger.

Ancient egyptians used garlic cloves as v*ginal suppositories as well to cure infections.

Hope you feel better soon!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2009, 07:49:19 AM »
Rabbit Tobacco isn't only a Southern herb, it grows all the way up into Canada. Here's a map for the most commonly used variety (map is at the bottom of the page)... http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PSOBO&photoID=psobo_003_avp.tif

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!