Author Topic: Baby's Nighttime Stuffy Nose  (Read 4571 times)

Offline MrsJ

• Adept
Baby's Nighttime Stuffy Nose
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:26:54 AM »
My 2-1/2 mo old has been getting a stuffy nose at night on and off, and it makes him so frustrated when he tries to nurse, he just cries and cries.  Are there any good, safe remedies to keep his nose clear while he's sleeping?  Should I run a vaporizer? I've read on here about using GOOT or garlic poultices but I'm hesitant because DH might have a fit if his baby smells like an Italian restaurant...

Offline Precious

• Adept
Re: Baby's Nighttime Stuffy Nose
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:44:24 AM »
I'd put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a warm, damp rag and put it somewhere near his crib (out of reach) and near you when you are nursing.   Saline nose drops are great, too.  I'd do those right before he goes to bed and again before he nurses if he needs it.  The drops help to thin the mucus.  Then you can use a bulb syringe to suction it out.

With my kids, I always put them in their carseat to sleep (in the crib) when they were stuffy.  It helps the mucus drain so it doesn't just sit in their head and clog them up.  It might also help prevent an ear infection.  I don't tighten the straps quite as tight as in the car but tight enough that they won't wriggle out and get stuck.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:00:36 AM by Precious »

Offline MrsJ

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »
Thanks, Precious, that's really helpful!  I will try some of those things.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 04:56:48 AM »
MrsJ, you can take garlic and it will come through the breastmilk.  Breastfeeding is a great way to dose little ones with beneficial herbs.  Not as potent as a garlic poultice, but still helpful.  Garlic thins mucous.

Coconut oil on the nostrils, just a bit, helps keep the nose from crusting, too.

A cut onion near the crib is said to be helpful for easing nighttime breathing.

A good, gentle nose washing from the outside only (not nasal irrigation), finishing with a gentle squeeze on each nostril (start high on the nostril and squeeze downto the end of the nose) to clear out the mucous is helpful, too.  Baby should be upright or tilted to the front.  You don't want water going up the nose!