Author Topic: Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumach: Treatment Suggestions  (Read 76308 times)

Offline brightspot

• Adept
Re: Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumach: Treatment Suggestions
« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2008, 05:12:20 PM »
My dd has poison ivy bad. She was with friends last weekend and they had a bon fire. When it died down, someone gathered up some "stuff" (in the dark) and added it to the fire. The "stuff" was evidently poison ivy. She started out two days later with a small spot on her neck. Each day it has gotten worse and her whole neck is now covered with a spot on the upper area of her eyelid and today-seven days later- she has two new patches show up on her arms. Why is it spreading and does anyone know how long this could last?

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2008, 04:30:57 AM »
Could she be extremely allergic to it? I know ppl who have had to get put on steroids because it was so bad.

Could she be scratching it and thats why its spreading?

I think jewel weed is supposed to be like a miracle worker for PI. Thats what i would use if any of us got it.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2008, 05:05:59 AM »
Pets, shoes, jackets and clothing can and will carry Poison ivy resign on it so that it keeps reinfesting a person over and over. I read that the PI resin can stay alive on something for a very long time and it can rub off onto other clothing and furniture. That might be something to think about if one keeps geeting reinfested even if they are not around PI or if their PI seems to keep spreading.

I read that we should launder our jackets, shoes and clothing as soon as we get home after having been around PI if possible to help stop the spreading of it.

I am about to go wallering in poison ivy here in about 45 minutes because we will be 4 wheeling in a PI infested woods. I have rubbing alcohol wipes, alcohol gel and the liquid for everyone to choose and keep 1 with them.

We have been hacking the PI vines and after each hack we put some rubbing alcohol on any exposed skin to help kill off and wash off any PI stuff on us. It has helped well so far.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2008, 02:30:38 PM »
Thanks! Today I asked her if she had washed the clothes she was wearing (she is 18 tomorrow) She said no that she hadn't thought about the clothes and had worn the shirt again.  Today she washed all her clothes, bedding and everything that might have had contact with the smoke or the clothes that she had worn.

I went out in the yard and looked for jewel weed but our yard is so brown and dead. No rain for weeks now. I don't even know if we have any but looked up pics from the links here. She will keep using the calmine (spelling?) lotion, aloe, hot showers, and other stuff mentioned.

Today she has more patches broken out and now its in unmentionable areas too. It's been 9 days since she was exposed. Monday we will call the Dr. if it is still spreading.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2008, 03:00:03 PM »
Have you tried plantain?  Google 'plantain pictures*'...it's not the giant banana.  It's a common weed.  We've had incredible success with it curing even old, in the blood stream cases of poison ivy (for a friend of ours.)  We use it as soon as the line of itchy red comes up, and it's gone within hours. 

To make a quick oil of plantain, chop up a handful of fresh plantain leaves.  Put into a small pot and cover with olive oil (or oil of your choice).  Heat over very low heat until leaves are crispy.  Strain into a small jar, discarding leaves.  I store mine in the fridge just because we like it cold. ;)

Hope she feels better soon!

~Gwen
*There are over 200 species of plantain, with the most common being broad leaf and narrow leaf.  It grows all over the country.  If you can't find it around your place, just look along the side of the road.  It does best in recently broken ground, and prefers shade, but grows in full sun as well.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 03:01:49 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
I think I'm going to have to get some dried plantain. It is good for so many things but where we live now we don't have any! No kidding, on 1 1 /2 acres you would think we would have some. If it grows in the shade, maybe I need to find some seeds somewhere!

DD is feeling a little better today. I'm amazed that she is so covered with it. I didn't realize that it spread so much. I do need to replenish my supplies of things that she has been using though. It takes quite a bit of lotion and ointments to cover a whole body!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2008, 03:09:42 AM »
I think I'm going to have to get some dried plantain. It is good for so many things but where we live now we don't have any! No kidding, on 1 1 /2 acres you would think we would have some. If it grows in the shade, maybe I need to find some seeds somewhere!

DD is feeling a little better today. I'm amazed that she is so covered with it. I didn't realize that it spread so much. I do need to replenish my supplies of things that she has been using though. It takes quite a bit of lotion and ointments to cover a whole body!

she may not have it spreading all over, she may be having an allergic response and her body has hives on top of the poison ivy.  this happened to my dd last fall and she ended up with her whole body broke out.  She had hives in places I KNOW weren't exposed to poison ivy. It was a severe reaction to the poison ivy.  She was miserable!!  Fall seems to be worse here for poison ivy, don't know if anyone else has noticed that, but we sure have.  We have 6 acres of woods with tons of poison ivy and they may get a little in the summer, but the fall it gets much worse. Not sure why that is???

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2008, 04:45:14 AM »
Fall seems to be worse here for poison ivy, don't know if anyone else has noticed that, but we sure have.  We have 6 acres of woods with tons of poison ivy and they may get a little in the summer, but the fall it gets much worse. Not sure why that is???

I have also noticed that. I have never gotten poison ivy rashes before. All summer this year we have been running around in the woods and never gotten it. But in September me and one of my kids started getting it. I have had several small very mild patches of PI breaks outs here and there on my body ever since then, they keep coming and going.

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »
Fall seems to be worse here for poison ivy, don't know if anyone else has noticed that, but we sure have.  We have 6 acres of woods with tons of poison ivy and they may get a little in the summer, but the fall it gets much worse. Not sure why that is???

I have also noticed that. I have never gotten poison ivy rashes before. All summer this year we have been running around in the woods and never gotten it. But in September me and one of my kids started getting it. I have had several small very mild patches of PI breaks outs here and there on my body ever since then, they keep coming and going.

Sorry for you, but glad to know we aren't crazy here!

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2008, 09:40:33 AM »
O.K. Today she just couldn't stand the itch any more. She described it as "I'm one big ball of itch and I'm going crazy" She has gotten a bad cold too so between her classes today she was able to get in and see a Dr. She is on four meds! Hopefully she will clear up soon. It has spread to every part of her body. Maybe some of it is hives? I'm not sure what the Dr. said yet as she just called to let me know that she had gotten through her appointment ok. Turning 18 and doing everything on your own is still a new experience for her but she is doing great.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

she may not have it spreading all over, she may be having an allergic response and her body has hives on top of the poison ivy.  this happened to my dd last fall and she ended up with her whole body broke out.  She had hives in places I KNOW weren't exposed to poison ivy. It was a severe reaction to the poison ivy.  She was miserable!!  Fall seems to be worse here for poison ivy, don't know if anyone else has noticed that, but we sure have.  We have 6 acres of woods with tons of poison ivy and they may get a little in the summer, but the fall it gets much worse. Not sure why that is???

What did you do for the hives? My dd still has a rash ALL over her body! It's been over two weeks now. She has huge welt and very red rash basically on every inch of her body. She went to the Dr. and was put on steroid pills for three days but that ended yesterday and now she is getting worse again. We have called our PCM but it is a holiday weekend and we only talked to a voice mail and have to wait for them to call us back (that was a couple hours ago)

She was put on something to help with the itching but it makes her fall asleep and she is so tired anyway (I think from fighting this for so long) and she needs to work on her essay for class tomorrow. Right now I'm sending her in for a hot bath but don't know how to do an "oatmeal bath"--don't want to clog the septic system.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2008, 03:36:27 PM »
I had this once, and my doctor told me that the poison ivy had gotten into my blood stream? ???  Maybe try some epsom salts in the bath. 
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2008, 09:29:03 AM »
I had this once, and my doctor told me that the poison ivy had gotten into my blood stream? ???  Maybe try some epsom salts in the bath. 

How long did it take to go away?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »
This was 9 years ago...way before I got wise to my own health care.  I let them give me a shot of sterroids, and it dried up and went away pretty quickly after that. 

If I had it now, I would defitnitely go with the plantain salve.  I've been very impressed with the variety of things that it has cured. 

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
Someone was telling me this weekend that the more dandelions we eat the less likely we are to get posion ivy.

Does anyone know if there is any truth in that or have any experience with it?

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2008, 07:37:25 AM »
Someone was telling me this weekend that the more dandelions we eat the less likely we are to get posion ivy.

Does anyone know if there is any truth in that or have any experience with it?

Though I can't answer your questions in the affirmative, BJ, I am curious about this, and I'll look into it for sure.  It does make sense, just from a simple "logic" standpoint.  Since dandelion is a blood purifier and any type of skin manifestation is going to be in part related to blood issues (foreign substance/allergic reaction), I can see how this could be true. 

I'll keep checking . . .  :)
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2008, 07:00:26 AM »
I've ordered some plantain, now to find out how to fix it. It's too late for this round but I want to be ready next time. Today dd went to the Dr.s again and got a shot and a round of steroids that last 6 days. She is so tired of itching. She has been getting up at night sometimes two or three times to do the hot shower and ointments, she's exhausted. Her neck had cleared up but this morning it is covered again. Thanks for all the info.

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
[quote author=brightspot link=topic=289.msg205214#msg205214
 Right now I'm sending her in for a hot bath but don't know how to do an "oatmeal bath"--don't want to clog the septic system.
[/quote]

When my dd had chicken pox I used oatmeal to help her skin.  I just put the oatmeal in the blender till it was a powder, then put some inside a soft sock, tied it up, and got that soaked through with water.  After that just squeeze it some till you feel the oatmeal coming through (it gets slimy) and then rub that all over the body.  I think it did sting some, but I think it helped too.  This was very easy to do, and this way I was sure the oatmeal was being applied directly to her skin.  HTH.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2008, 07:51:44 AM »
You can tie the oats in a sock or old knee high and let it soak in the tub during the bath or let the water run over it by hanging it under the faucet.  That way you get the benefits without the oats going down the drain or making a mess of the tub. 

As an additional idea for anyone with a persistent case of poison ivy, here is an interesting article.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi88.html
Hope it helps someone.

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2010, 12:23:43 PM »
Question for all of you wise ones out there!  My husband has poison oak on his face.  A spot on his forehead and another patch running up the side of his nose, near his eye and up onto his eyebrow.  I saw Gwen's post about the Bulk Herb Store's recipe.  I have the comfrey and plantain, but not the burdock root.  Would it still work if I didn't have the burdock root? 

Second question - I have some jewelweed in a tincture form, but it is expired.  It has never been opened, but the date on it is 10/06.  The bottle says to take drops of it in water, but I was thinking I should be using it topically.  Any thoughts on that?  Is it just too old?  Would it not even work any more because of the age?  Am I running into problems with it maybe being bad and causing more problems?  Or if it is just topically would it be okay? 

Any thoughts on these two issues would be appreciated!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
@2nd question-I don't think it would hurt to use the tincture topically even if it has expired. It may not do much good. I find jewelweed pretty useless unless used fresh or herb that was frozen freshly picked.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »
My oldest ds weedwhacked around the pond one cloudy morning.  Then it started raining and a group of our dcs went up to fish.  All of them but one got at least a little poison ivy, but my 5yo ds case kept getting worse.  It's been five days now.  His legs are covered with scaly/prickly- looking rashes.  They are red and inflamed and quite swollen, the right leg worse than the left.

I feel like I have tried *everything*.
The first night of misery, I put charcoal poultices on his legs.  That gave him immediate relief in terms of itching, but the swelling and inflammation did not go down.  During the day he did not complain, and so I opted to simply leave it alone so it could dry out; it was weeping pus and just overall nasty.
The second night I coated both legs with raw honey (in hopes to draw out infection), then put people's paste compresses on (containing comfrey, slippery elm, bayberry, myrrh and garlic) and wrapped it all night.  While it relieved his itching, it didn't reduce the inflammation or redness at all.  It was this time when he developed a low-grade fever.
I was getting frustrated.  I had been clean out of jewelweed, and we had a lingering tropical storm over our area, but I finally sent some dcs out to harvest jewelweed.  This being the third night, I juiced it in my juicer and made soaks to wrap around his legs, though I put honey on them first, then wrapped them overnight.  Same story-- helped the itching, but not the inflammation.

Next day was Friday-- I took him to the doctor.  He prescribed antibiotics, steroids, benadryl, and witch hazel.  I am loathe to give him this stuff, especially since his rash started showing signs of drying up right before I was scheduled to go to the doc with him.
So dh and I decided to give it another night.

I decided to try pantothenic acid/protein enzyme/vitamin C, and gave him the combo every 15 min for two hours, and every time he woke at night, along with echinacea.  I did not wrap them this time; I just did witch hazel (owie!) and calamine lotion every time he would wake up.  His rash doesn't seem much better, and his legs are still swollen.  He is complaining much more today during the day than ever before.  His fever is gone, though. I gave him a dose of querceten this morning, but not any changes in the inflammation.

I am starting to feel like he is a testing board for herbal remedies (I hate that!).  I was wondering if white willow might help, if it would be safe, or worth it-- or if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!

If there is risk of inflammation of the respiratory system, you might consider the doctor or benedryl.  Aside from that poison ivy will heal all on it's own over time, so anything you do should only serve to shorten the time or lessen his symptoms.  I've not tried this myself, but I've heard that bentonite clay would be a good thing to try in the bath.  I've heard it's wonderful for chicken pox and it pulls toxins.  Poison Ivy is caused by an oil that gets into the skin, so anything that draws and dries should be wonderful.  Another thought would be oatmeal baths.  Grind up cheap oatmeal in your blender and throw generous amounts in the tub.

The most common recommended herbal remedy for poison ivy is jewel weed.  Also check back through the previous posts for other info.  I've merged this with the already existing poison ivy thread.

HB
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wanderingarcher

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Here is what happened. 
Later the night I posted the above, my ds was so miserable he was yelling/screaming over and over.  I put him in a bath with white willow infusion and gave him a tsp orally.  He kept screaming.  I took him out and we treated him with witch hazel (more screaming) and calamine.  Poor little guy.  However, as soon as we got to putting stuff on his legs, I noticed the inflammation had dramatically reduced already, probably due to the white willow. 
But because I am not experienced enough and am uncomfortable with giving ww to a little guy, and because it was still spreading (grr) we opted to do the docs orders.
But we only did three days of all doses of antibiotics and steroids, two days of morning and night, and then about three days of once-a-day.  If it had been an unknown rash, I probably would have done all the meds, but since I just wanted to get him past the worst of the poison ivy, I didn't think it necessary.  He finally got better.

Then...last week... he got another spot on his arm...  and I put plantain tincture on it asap and kept applying it regardless of his complaining of it "stinging".  It dried it right up!  If I could do the previous experience over, I'd have applied the plantain right away like I did for my older dcs.  I'm so glad it didn't get nasty again! 

If it were to get nasty again, I would be more aggressive with poultices to bring comfort at night.  I think his nighttime itching is what spread it so badly, and having it wrapped keeps it contained and really brought relief.  I also would research white willow more, as I really believe it must be better than steroids if used properly, if needed to stay inflammation.  And instead of witch hazel, I would use plantain tincture.  I don't know if jewelweed draws like plantain, but I have some of that handy now, too. 

I am keeping a journal of all my herbal adventures.... :)