Author Topic: Influenza [ Respiratory Flu ]: Prevention & Treatments  (Read 22706 times)

Offline Pink Lady

• Adept
Influenza [ Respiratory Flu ]: Prevention & Treatments
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:05:31 PM »
Does anyone here know of anyone who has died from the flu? I just read that the CDC says that 36,000 people die each year from it. Personally I have never known anyone who has done so, but with those numbers you have to figure that some people some where do.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amanda

Offline cjnygaard

• Wide Eyed
Re: Influenza [ Respiratory Flu ]: Prevention & Treatments
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:00:03 AM »
The flu that the CDC warns about is the respitory flu. Many die from the respitory flu each year. The stomach flu is not ctualy a flu at all, but a virus. So when we say we have the stomach flu, we actually have a stomach VIRUS. The flu shot is actually a vaccine for the respitory flu, not the stoach virus. Every time my mother-in-law has gotten the flu shot (she has arthritis and sometimes the doctor pressures her into having the shot) she and I have gotten the respitory flu. It has happened 3 times in the last 8 years. Last year my husband and kids got it as well. Your lungs hurt, your body hurts, and you think you will die. No matter what "they" tell me about not being able to get teh flu from teh shot, i still think I got it from her and she got it from teh shot. :P

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:16:58 AM »
I agree that you don't need to worry about dying from it if you keep yourself healthy. I don't think normal people are dropping dead from the flu.

My 2 daughters and I got and I all got it last year.  It was pretty bad, and dying sounded like a good idea... Only my husband said that I couldn't, so I had to obey!  ;)

My girls were only 13 months and 25 months.  They ended up in the hospital.  The youngest was so tiny and dehydrated that they couldn't find a vein for the IV.  It wasn't very pretty....  They finally got one in her head. 

The real flu isn't something to take lightly.  We were scared for my girls lives for a little while.  I am not sure my littlest daughter would have made it if we hadn't taken her to the hospital.  I am glad we didn't wait to find out.

Generally, we avoid doctors/medicine/hospitals, but there are times to make an exception, and that was one of them.

On the other hand, I doubt that anyone in my family will ever got the shot.  Hope we never get the flu again, either!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:24:51 AM »
Oh absolutely. I was hospitalized for about 3 days for dehydration when I was a child with a stomach virus, and I have had friends who had to hospitalize their kids for respiratory flu that turned into pneumonia. Thank goodness for hospitals! I am thankful that we live in a country where people can get the help they need. But I think the flu shot causes unnecessary fear-mongering. 

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 08:34:04 AM »
The flu that the CDC warns about is the respitory flu. Many die from the respitory flu each year. The stomach flu is not ctualy a flu at all, but a virus. ...
Isn't respiratory flu a virus also?

Missi

Offline herbalmama

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 09:38:11 AM »
Respiratory flu is also caused by a virus (that is tha reason antibiotics are completely useless for this type of flu. Without a doubt if I am pregant during "flu season " I catch the flu because my immune system is a little more compromised and I ( who has a horrible fear of docs and hospitals ) always end up in the hospital on oxygen and IV. s .The flu does make you feel like maybe dying wouldnt be so bad after all ,but I still refuse to get the flu shot (though hubby does every year because he works with the public so much).I am just not too comfy with the idea of injecting toxins into my body.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 03:29:25 PM »
My brother died of complications from the flu. At least that's what they told us. He was big, strong, and 24 years old. Also, my mother-in-law is an ICU nurse and they had a healthy 24 year old female die from the flu last year at her hospital. I think what happened with my brother is that his immune system was probably weakened from having colitis, and from being a bachelor living with a bunch of guys - eating gross foods you know. After several days it progressed to pneumonia in both lungs, which is when he was taken to the ER by my dad, and I guess a few hours after getting to the ER the infection (staph bacteria) crossed over into his blood vessels, which in turn collapsed, and he died after being on life support for a couple of days. I also remember in Colorado Springs a few years ago there was a bad flu season and a couple of school age children came down with it and died very suddenly. I don't want to give my family flu shots, but my husband is very wary of going against the "medical consensus", so I am trying to convince him without being pushy or seeming like a conspiracy theorist. I do try wash hands a lot, watch for symptoms, eat healthy, and use the garlic, echinacea, ginger, sage, etc. liberally.  We all have colds right now so I'm not doing a very good job but hopefully I can learn from my mistakes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 03:53:26 PM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 05:26:50 PM »
The figures are a misrepresentation according to the British Medical Journal.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/331/7529/1412?ijkey=FXyhZx2lyNbaVLE&keytype=ref

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »
We just returned from my little brother's wedding in Memphis, and got to see a lot of family. Fun, only my little sis had to go to the hospital the night after the wedding. She had traveled from MD with a cough, and it got worse and worse. She had trouble breathing and was up long stretches of the night just coughing. My parents were in the same hotel room and thought it might be pneumonia, so they took her to the ER, where they did a flu screen, and sure enough, it is the respiratory flu. Of couse, she had been having a hard time keeping her hands off her darling only nephew, my son.

Asher, my DS, started coughing occassionally, and my FIL, who is a DO, prescribed amantadine, an anti-flu drug. So, he took that for several days before i was bright enough to put it together that THAT was what was causing some strange behavior - rubbing his hands together when anxious, not responding to discipline at all, long fits, lots of crying and resisting - all very unusual for him. So, he is off the med. But, he is still coughing a yucky cough, snot is turning from clear to yellow, and he is acting better, but not himself. He is moody, like he just feels yucky. Whenever he finishes a nap and I go to get him out of his crib, he acts like he can't decide whether he wants me to. He stands up, I stretch out my arms... he sits down and shrinks back and starts to cry. This kind of behavior happens at other times too, like he is just confused.

I feel slightly frustrated, and compassionate too. Not sure what to treat as a discipline issue, and what is just because he is sick. Also unsure of what to treat him with. I need to make some fresh goot... Guess I will do that now. I would love advice!

Corrie
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
How do you treat/get rid of body aches that are brought on by the flu?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 05:09:05 AM by healthybratt »
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 12:11:16 PM »
The title says it all....how do you treat/get rid of body aches that are brought on by the flu?....be it influenza or the stomach flu.  Thanks.

Try some tea:  equal parts catnip, red raspberry leaf and peppermint.  I think it works great for body & headaches of all kinds. 

If it got into your joints, you might want to try some Cod Liver Oil or read the Inflammation Thread for dosing up on Essential Fatty Acids for fighting inflammation.

Inflammation & Diet [Recommended Dosages & Diet]
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »
I know that my question doesn't pertain to the content, but it does the topic.  ??? So instead of starting a new thread, I posted here. Is that okay?  :-[

Dh just came home really sick. He was fine yesterday. I think he has the flu. I want to give him Oscillococcinum. Can I give him other herbs at he same time? And any suggestions for herbs?

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:19:17 AM »
Hate to be a know-it-all, but I just must post this after reading the thread.
There is NO such thing as the "stomach flu" or "intestinal flu" or any such nonsense. 
The flu, which is short for influenza, is a virus of the upper respitory tract.  Sudden onset of symptoms make it different from a common cold.  High fever, headache, chills, exhaustion, aches and pains, and often a dry cough.  Rarely a sore throat or stuffy nose.  Sometimes those things can come at the end.  Any diahrrea that comes with it is not because of the virus in the intestines, but often a result of built up mucus in the system.
Vomitting, nausea and diahrrea are from any number of gastrointestinal viruses, or GI viruses.  THEY ARE NOT THE FLU!
I am amazed at the number of people who will get a flu shot and think they are preventing stomach viruses!
People die from the flu who have a) compromised immune systems; b) lack of hydration due to lost fluids from high fever; or c) secondary infections like pneumonia.  Usually people who die from the flu are elderly (with no good care, or secondary infections), little kids who don't readily ask for or take fluids when high fever hits, or people who live in severe poverty with poor hygiene and nutrition.
I just had to post this in response to what I read of the above!  Every year I get frustrated at the number of people who talk "flu" when they mean GI virus.

That said, we had the flu last week, and I am discouraged at my 3 yo who is not recovering well.  Lots of built up mucus, the cough won't get better, low energy, low appetite, and seems to have had a big set back today.  Am looking for ideas of something to really KNOCK it out of her.  All others recovered within a few days and are full of life and energy now.  Some residual coughs, but good overall feeling.

Any brilliant ideas?  We've done Berry Well, GOOT, lots of fruit and liquids, no sugar. 

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:09:42 AM »
The flu, which is short for influenza, is a virus of the upper respitory tract.  Sudden onset of symptoms make it different from a common cold.  High fever, headache, chills, exhaustion, aches and pains, and often a dry cough.  Rarely a sore throat or stuffy nose. 

Any brilliant ideas?  We've done Berry Well, GOOT, lots of fruit and liquids, no sugar. 

That is what my dh had! I should have been more specific about that (since I do know what the flu is). He recovered in less than 48 hours with tons of water, tea, garlic, oscillo. stuff, and only fresh fruits and veg.

Now my 2 yo has it! i am treating her the same way. She also has in ear infection to go with her's though. She started on Saturday night (why is it always during the night?) and now she is running around. Hopefully, we are past it and none else will get it!! Hopefully . . .

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 07:09:15 AM »
My hubby has had the resp. flu for the past three days.  I gave him Oreganol, an elderberry tincture, and Eucalyptus oil baths and on a cloth for him to breathe in.  Now my son seems to be coming down with it, so here we go again.  I'm not sure if I'd rather we all go through this one at a time or just all at once.  ::)  I pray I don't get it at all.   :P
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 10:17:30 AM »
All three of my kiddos have had/have this!  The worst part is the fever -makes them feel AWFUL! With 11 yo ds, he was feverish for 5-6 days.  The 14yo ds has it now and is okay as long as the fever doesn't get too high.  He has been sick for three days.  (Please pray for him.  He, dh and younger son are at District wrestling about 3 hours away.  He wasn't willing to stay home even though he is sick!  Must be a guy thing! :D)  I am home with 5 yo dd who is sick with it also.  We would have gone with the guys, but dh said to keep her home.  I am so thankful for my wise hubby!  DD has had some moments of being pretty miserable in the last couple of days!  Would have been nasty being at the wrestling meet!

Anyway, when first ds got sick over a week ago, I started treating everyone!  Elderberry tincture, tons of garlic, TTU, tea, eucalyptus.....etc....etc.... BUT two more have gotten sick.  So far, dh and I are okay.  I can't imagine how sick the kids would have been without all of the "kill or cure" treatment that we have done!  Might have gotten kind of scary!

I am thankful that even in the midst of all of the sickness, I have been at peace.  I usually am quite uptight when the kids are sick.  Maybe I am actually learning to trust the Lord to a deeper level! ;)  He is good!!!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 12:04:14 PM by crystal »

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 11:42:30 AM »
It seems this flu bug is very contagious and widespread right now.  I've had it this past week along with all four of my children.  Now dh has it.  :-[   And let me tell you it is a nasty one!  I don't remember feeling this bad with a flu in over four years.  I think the fever is what made it most miserable.  I ached clear down in my ankles, my sinuses were all stuffed up and hurt, my throat hurt, and we all had bad coughs (still do!).  And it takes about a week for it to run its course.  We had to take my 2yo dd to the doc because her lymph gland underneath her ear was terribly swollen, hot, and red.  He had to give her antibiotics - said it was infected.  I'd never dealt with a lymph gland like that so I said ok.  This is the last day for her antibiotic and it is still just a tad swollen, but not hot or red.  Has anybody experienced infected lymph nodes/glands?  I'd love some reassurance that it's not something worse.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »
This is the last day for her antibiotic and it is still just a tad swollen, but not hot or red.  Has anybody experienced infected lymph nodes/glands?  I'd love some reassurance that it's not something worse.

I've never experienced one that got red, but I'm curious if you tried garlic on it? In a poultice or GOOT? So sorry you got that nasty bug. :(

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 12:01:15 PM »
You'll be ok!
It's the flu, it's February, it's all over the country.
It will end.
My worst flu was many years ago - 9 days in bed with high fever.
This time, we all were down for 1-2 days, and then had a brief few days of residual cough.  
REST, FLUIDS, and all the happy herbs and vites you can get in, plus broth and fruit.  You can do it!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 03:01:18 PM »
Hi,

My mother in law has come down with the flu.  It came on very fast and she is not doing well at all.  She had diabetes and had polio as a child which causes her to have other issues as well.  She said that her ankles and joints her so badly.  What can we do to treat this pain?

So far her treatment has been:
tylenol (trying not to overdo it, and she can't have anything else due to stomach ulcers)
ginger tea
GSE (15 drops 3 times yesterday and 2 times today)
vicks vapor rub on feet, chest and back.  (she refuses goot..lol)
probiotics given today
elderberry lozenge

She would love to just make the pain in her ankles and joints lessen a bit.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »
Hi,

My mother in law has come down with the flu.  It came on very fast and she is not doing well at all.  She had diabetes and had polio as a child which causes her to have other issues as well.  She said that her ankles and joints her so badly.  What can we do to treat this pain?

So far her treatment has been:
tylenol (trying not to overdo it, and she can't have anything else due to stomach ulcers)
ginger tea
GSE (15 drops 3 times yesterday and 2 times today)
vicks vapor rub on feet, chest and back.  (she refuses goot..lol)
probiotics given today
elderberry lozenge

She would love to just make the pain in her ankles and joints lessen a bit.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jammie

Hi Jammie,

May I suggest that you go www.herbdoc.com.  I just received his catalog (free upon request 1.800.437.2362), and it has been an education in inself.  He has some different remedies that would be for all of your mil issues, including the flu and diabetes.  You will also find out what's in the flu shot . . . it's quite shocking!!   :o

HTH!!

Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 03:44:37 PM »
Thanks!

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 09:18:18 PM »
Yesterday dh came down with the flu, dd got it the day before and yesterday afternoon within 5 minutes I went from feeling okay to feeling miserable. :o  Dd has been running high fevers today, the highest reaching 104.6.  My question is actually for me, I have the aches and headache so bad that nothing is helping.  I don't normally take pain reliever, but I couldn't sleep so I gave it a try and well, I still am not sleeping.  Is there anything that can help at least dull the aches and pains and headache?  I am so tired and all I want to do is sleep, but can't for the pain.  I have never had a flu like this before.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2008, 03:57:44 AM »
Yesterday dh came down with the flu, dd got it the day before and yesterday afternoon within 5 minutes I went from feeling okay to feeling miserable. :o  Dd has been running high fevers today, the highest reaching 104.6.  My question is actually for me, I have the aches and headache so bad that nothing is helping.  I don't normally take pain reliever, but I couldn't sleep so I gave it a try and well, I still am not sleeping.  Is there anything that can help at least dull the aches and pains and headache?  I am so tired and all I want to do is sleep, but can't for the pain.  I have never had a flu like this before.

Oscillococcinum is a homeopathic remedy that does wonders in cutting the duration and the severity of the flu.  Our whole house has been down this week.  I couldn't take it because I'm pregnant, but I gave it to my kids and they are quickly healing.  You can get it at most pharmacies, to include Wal-mart.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2008, 04:04:47 AM »

Peppermint oil can help with fever.
But when ours was bad, we took meds.  You can try alternating Advil and Tylenol every 4-6 hours.  Advil helps with aches and stuff, Tylenol is good for fever.  Find the one that works.  And yep, it's really hard to sleep with flu, we found.
You'll be better soon.

Offline djsnjones

• Adept
    • The Dr. Brewer Pregnancy Diet
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 10:47:49 AM »
I second using Oscillococcinum.  When we use it, the nastiest part of the flu is over in 24-48 hrs and then the recovery time is shortened as well.  I called a very reliable apothecary awhile back and they told me that it was safe for pregnancy, but you call the company for a confirmation of that....

http://www.oscillo.com/

Also, here is my personal recipe for colds and flu (pieces collected over the years)...

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id58.html

:)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:54:00 PM by djsnjones »

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »

Peppermint oil can help with fever.
But when ours was bad, we took meds.  You can try alternating Advil and Tylenol every 4-6 hours.  Advil helps with aches and stuff, Tylenol is good for fever.  Find the one that works.  And yep, it's really hard to sleep with flu, we found.
You'll be better soon.

When my little one (5 mo) ended up in the ER, the doctor said I could give Tylenol and Advil TOGETHER :o  He said that they are totally different meds and can be used together.  Anyone else ever heard of that?  I've always been told to alternate.  I hate to give them at all, but when it was at its worst for my littles alternating (I never did give them at the same time) seemed to give some relief.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline djsnjones

• Adept
    • The Dr. Brewer Pregnancy Diet
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 12:08:03 PM »
I don't know if this will help your situation, but here's what Dr. Sears says....

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t088900.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t089101.asp

:)

Offline carolina girl

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
I know that when you're sick, you should avoid sugars because of a compromised immune system.  I have a question, though.  If I eat sugar and my nursing baby is sick, does the sugar that I eat pass on to her through my milk?  Do I need to be avoiding sugar all together to help her fever go away?  It was 103.3 this afternoon and that scares me for a 6 mo old.  I talked to the doctor today and she wanted me to start her on antibiotics IN CASE it was an ear infection.  I opted to hold off for another day just to see if it would go away on its own.  What else can I be doing for her - I don't have alot in the way of herbs, etc.  I was holding a cold washcloth on her forehead and was going to give her a lukewarm bath when she wakes up to see if that would help reduce her fever.  Any other ideas?  Her fever is the main issue - haven't noticed too much else as far as symptoms go...

Thanks so much...

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
I know that when you're sick, you should avoid sugars because of a compromised immune system.  I have a question, though.  If I eat sugar and my nursing baby is sick, does the sugar that I eat pass on to her through my milk?  Do I need to be avoiding sugar all together to help her fever go away? 

Definitely avoid sugar.  Pretty much everything goes through your breast milk.    Use it to your advantage by consuming herbs and supplements that will boost her immune system.  Catnip tea can be drunk (by you) or given as an enema (to her) to reduce fever.

If you suspect an ear infection, garlic oil in the ear or GOOT around the outside of the ear and soles of the feet will usually do the trick - if you use it very consistently for 2 to 3 days.  Mullein can quickly ease the pain of an earache, too.

Check the ear infection thread for more ideas.  (sorry she is feeling puny :-[)