Author Topic: Cod Liver Oil: The Number One Superfood  (Read 154703 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Cod Liver Oil: The Number One Superfood
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:16:14 AM »
I've been reading up on health issues a lot these days, and one thing I just keep stumbling across is Cod Liver Oil and it's many wonderful benefits.  I'm also finding out that the fats that you get from taking it are very lacking in so many diets (high carb, low fat diets), so I decided to start a thread.  Add your thoughts or your research for all to learn more.

Cod Liver Oil:  The Number One Superfood

Quote from: mercola.com
In numerous studies, the elongated omega-3 fats found in cod liver oil have been shown to improve brain function, memory, stress response, immune response, allergies, asthma, learning and behavioral disorders, including bipolar syndrome and manic-depression.

Vitamin D deficiency is widespread among U.S. population, expectant mothers are deficient and giving birth to deficient infants   
   Cod liver oil is most famous for contributing to bone health, preventing and reversing rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults...

be sure and click on the link above to read the whole article.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Sonlight-Mommy

• Learning
Re: Cod Liver Oil: The Number One Superfood
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:25:36 PM »
My favorite is Carlson's lemon flavored.  It looks like it's on sale at the vitamin shoppe right now, but I'm still a "new believer" of cod liver oil, so I don't know if this is a great price.  (It's cheaper than getting it from my Nat. Doc. :))

Offline knitting another

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »
I was very intrigued by this article, although I haven't finished it yet -  I'm hoping to finish reading it tonight.  It is very informative to say the least. I have just found out I am pregnant and would really like to know if there are any women who have used cod liver oil during a pregnancy. I know doctors don't recommend it, but it sure sounds like it was a main staple in homes years ago.  I would not start taking it without first discussing it with my midwife but I sure would love to hear other women's wisdom and experience.  I'm really glad you started this thread!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »
I have read that cod liver oil is especially beneficial during pregnancy. You just have to make sure it has been certified free of toxins like mercury first. It should say so right on the bottle.

Nickole

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:32:45 PM »
The Weston Price foundation no longer recommends Carlson's brand - something about the processing I believe.  We have used it and are out and will most likely order Garden of Life next.  I have heard that is the only truly cold-processed one out there.   

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 04:47:33 PM »
The Weston Price foundation no longer recommends Carlson's brand - something about the processing I believe.  We have used it and are out and will most likely order Garden of Life next.  I have heard that is the only truly cold-processed one out there.   

Thanks, Nickole. That is helpful. I'll have to remember that. I used Garden of Life brand last winter and it was our most virus-free winter EVER (even with a 3-year-old that puts her hands in her mouth CONSTANTLY).

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 04:10:02 AM »
Just thought I would mention: I was taking plain fish oil this summer, but found I was getting more tired than usual. I started taking the cod liver oil again instead, and my energy levels picked back up again. I also started taking some kelp, so that might be helping too.  :)

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »
I took CLO w/ my 2nd pg.  I read in Weston A. Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration that it made for calm babies.  I decided to test that theory out!  My dd is the sweetest child ever.  I tell people either WAP was right or God just decided he wanted to give me a sweet baby.  Either way, I'll take it!  It also helped considerably w/ my morning sickness.  I felt sick if I didn't take it twice a day (just split the dose between morning and night). 

I told our vision therapist about this and he said they used to treat bipolar w/ CLO because it helped calm people.

I am pg w/ #3 now and am taking it again.  It helped w/ the ms again.  We take the Blue Ice high-vitamin stuff from www.greenpasture.org, recommended by WAPF.  We order a case at a time and either split it w/ someone or use the whole thing ourselves.  We all take it (me, dh, 2 dc).  When you get the high-vitamin stuff, you don't have to take as much so it ends up being cheaper.
Carla
Wife to Doug ('00), Mama to Noah ('02), Claire ('04), and Chloe ('06)

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 06:44:33 AM »

We take the Blue Ice high-vitamin stuff from www.greenpasture.org, recommended by WAPF.  We order a case at a time and either split it w/ someone or use the whole thing ourselves.  We all take it (me, dh, 2 dc).  When you get the high-vitamin stuff, you don't have to take as much so it ends up being cheaper.
thanks for that link, I was wondering where to get that brand as my local health food supplement store didnt carry it.  Do you order the liquid or capsules?  I dont know if I can stand the flavor of the oil so I think I would get the capsules, but wanted to ask someone that actually takes the stuff first.

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 07:52:06 AM »
I just got Wilderness Family Naturals cod liver oil. I bought it with trepidation because I had never taken cod liver oil off a spoon before and was afraid of the flavor! This one has natural orange oil to flavor it. I have to say, it is very good! I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it. (And I'm very sensitive to fishy flavors!) My 5-yr-old loves it too. It seems to be a very high-quality oil, and comes in lemon and plain as well.

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 04:10:03 PM »

We take the Blue Ice high-vitamin stuff from www.greenpasture.org, recommended by WAPF.  We order a case at a time and either split it w/ someone or use the whole thing ourselves.  We all take it (me, dh, 2 dc).  When you get the high-vitamin stuff, you don't have to take as much so it ends up being cheaper.
thanks for that link, I was wondering where to get that brand as my local health food supplement store didnt carry it.  Do you order the liquid or capsules?  I dont know if I can stand the flavor of the oil so I think I would get the capsules, but wanted to ask someone that actually takes the stuff first.

We get the liquid and my dc (3yo ds and 1yo dd) have never had a problem taking it off the spoon.  They actually ask for it!  The cinnamon flavor can be strong (my dh doesn't like it as much thought the rest of us are fine w/ it).  I often get the mint, but just got some orange because a friend wanted orange and we were splitting a case.  It doesn't taste like orange; it is very neutral.  I haven't had their unflavored, but have tasted another brand (unflavored) and it's kinda fishy.   
Carla

Offline Lisa

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 04:29:26 PM »
I gave my first 2 sons, now 17  and 15 years old, cod liver oil from the time they  were  about 6 months to 3 or 4 years old. I didn't know at the time all of the benefits. I sometimes wonder if that is one reason that they are  so smart today. I didn't give it to my 3rd son, and he had a lot of speech and reading problems when he was younger. I don't know if there was a correlation between the cod liver oil and the brain development in my sons. There is also a good book, The LCP Solution, which talks about the need for fish oil in children that are dyslexic and have ADHD.

Offline russiabear

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 01:06:03 AM »
ohh yeah I am amazed at the difference in my 5 year old son.. without CLO in the morning he can not sit still for 5 minutes to do reading - with it he sits calmly for a whole 8.5 minutes!!  ;D  Anyway, had a quick ??  I've been using the Garden of Life cod liver oil for the past 2 years but need to re-order.  The CLO from green pasture looks so interesting - never heard of butter oil being added??  Does anyone know from first hand experience if the two are processed in the same way?? same quality?? thanks for any info.

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 02:19:54 AM »
ohh yeah I am amazed at the difference in my 5 year old son.. without CLO in the morning he can not sit still for 5 minutes to do reading - with it he sits calmly for a whole 8.5 minutes!!  ;D  Anyway, had a quick ??  I've been using the Garden of Life cod liver oil for the past 2 years but need to re-order.  The CLO from green pasture looks so interesting - never heard of butter oil being added??  Does anyone know from first hand experience if the two are processed in the same way?? same quality?? thanks for any info.

The butter oil is an entirely different thing than CLO, although they now offer a combo product.  Think of butter oil like super-concentrated raw butter.  We used to get it but stopped because it is sooooo expensive.  If you keep it in the fridge (which is optimal), it gets hard like butter and kinda hard to take.  I have read that taking your CLO w/ regular butter or other saturated fats is just about as good and much cheaper.
Carla

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 02:54:17 AM »
i have been using the cheap CLO pills from walmart and they have helped with my son's eczema and keeping it from itching. 

so what i gather from this thread is that it's not ok to use the cheapest thing vitacost has?  humph, my vitamin budget is blown.   ??? 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »
i have been using the cheap CLO pills from walmart and they have helped with my son's eczema and keeping it from itching. 

so what i gather from this thread is that it's not ok to use the cheapest thing vitacost has?  humph, my vitamin budget is blown.   ??? 

The effectiveness of the oil should be similar.  The risk in taking cheaper oils lies in the source of the fish and the possibility of mercury contamination.  If you can find out where your fish comes from and it's a good harvesting location, then the quality shouldn't be an issue.  I take the cheapies from Walmart as well, but I don't really have any other source of mercury in my diet at this time, so I'm not as worried about it yet.  This will be my next step.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline a_new_creation

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 11:51:58 AM »

The effectiveness of the oil should be similar.  The risk in taking cheaper oils lies in the source of the fish and the possibility of mercury contamination.  If you can find out where your fish comes from and it's a good harvesting location, then the quality shouldn't be an issue.  I take the cheapies from Walmart as well, but I don't really have any other source of mercury in my diet at this time, so I'm not as worried about it yet.  This will be my next step.  ;)

I don't think it is just the contamination issue you need to think about (though that *is* an issue).  Many companies strip the CLO of its vitamins (mainly A and D) and then replace them w/ synthetic vitamins.  Some also use a soy-based Vit. E as a preservative if I remember correctly.  Here are some articles about it:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/cod-liver-oil-menu.html
Carla

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 05:00:06 PM »
geez!  what in the world so they do this for????   ??? :o thanks for the heads up.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 01:06:28 PM »
Any suggestions for getting the cod liver oil to go down?  I have the Garden of Life Cod Liver Oil which is lemon, mint flavored.   Honestly, the mint just makes me smell the oil for quite some time.   Today I took it followed by garlicy salsa and chips.  I could still smell the oil several minutes later.

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 02:01:20 PM »

Do you use it externally?

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 05:09:45 AM »
 You just have to make sure it has been certified free of toxins like mercury first. It should say so right on the bottle.

Mercury is contained in the protein part of fish and so the liver of the cod is mercury free.
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 05:24:01 AM »
Cod liver oil tends to be pretty inexpensive.  I use the NOW brand that I purchased at health food store in my area.  I belive that 100 softgels cost me 2.95.  Take heart, I truly believe that CLO is good in any form.  I don't believe that you have to buy the most expensive kind for it to be healthy for you.

also, see the above post about mercury not being in CLO.

Chin up, you are doing fine :)
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 05:56:30 AM »
Does Cod Liver Oil make you have horrible fish burps? I took fish oil caplets when I was pregnant with my first child and ooh boy, was that taste terrible!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 06:01:29 AM »
You just have to make sure it has been certified free of toxins like mercury first. It should say so right on the bottle.

Mercury is contained in the protein part of fish and so the liver of the cod is mercury free.
That's a nice head's up.  Where did you find this little tidbit?  I'm intrigued.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 06:02:04 AM »
Does Cod Liver Oil make you have horrible fish burps? I took fish oil caplets when I was pregnant with my first child and ooh boy, was that taste terrible!
Sometimes, but it's probably less on a full (but not overfull) tummy.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Jessarie

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 06:35:11 AM »
Sometimes, but it's probably less on a full (but not overfull) tummy.

I found that I burped awful burps when I first started taking it, but after a couple weeks that stopped.  I took liquid, 1 tsp in the evening before supper.

Offline christajean

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 11:21:10 AM »
Can you ever have too much CLO?
I have been drowning my older girls in it while they have been sick and I wonder if it is harmful to take a little bit more than suggested.  My CLO is emulsified and the girls love the taste...I wonder if emulsified is less potent than the original?  It is way more palatable.  My bottle says take 1-2 tbs daily...I've been probably doubling it. 
"The thing I find most amazing in Amazing Grace is the chance to give it out... maybe that's what love is all about."  ~ Mr. Heath

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 07:30:57 AM »
So, can I mix the Garden of Life CLO with juice to help it go down easier?   

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 07:56:01 AM »

That's a nice head's up.  Where did you find this little tidbit?  I'm intrigued.

I found this tidbit of info in Mary Enig's book, Eat Fat Lose Fat.  On page 100 it says that mercury is water soluble and resides in the protein part of fish. 
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 08:13:42 AM »
Can you ever have too much CLO?
I have been drowning my older girls in it while they have been sick and I wonder if it is harmful to take a little bit more than suggested. My CLO is emulsified and the girls love the taste...I wonder if emulsified is less potent than the original? It is way more palatable. My bottle says take 1-2 tbs daily...I've been probably doubling it.

I think there is a problem with OD-ing on Vitamins A and D, although I have heard of people taking several tablespoons a day for therapeutic reasons. Most of the bottles I have seen say to take between 1/2 and 1-1/2 teaspoons a day. I have also read that if you are going to take that much you should have a blood test to check your vitamin levels.