Author Topic: Cod Liver Oil: The Number One Superfood  (Read 159231 times)

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
Re: Cod Liver Oil: The Number One Superfood
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2007, 06:55:13 AM »
Thanks, HB!  That's exactly what I was looking for!  So, if you were just starting to take CLO, would a good dose be 2 tsp a day (for adults, 15yo son, 13yo dd?  Also, is it best to be a divided dose?  I have a feeling my best shot at consistent cooperation (from DH at least) is to get it all over with at once!

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »
Patti...you mentioned you used the Nordic Naturals...CLO....I was using that too...but then I read and it mentioned something about adding soy to it....I dont have a bottle right now so dont know exactly what it said....but it worried me that it had I think soy lecithin in it...I used the orange...I have been without it for a couple weeks now because I dont know what kind to buy...I liked the convenience of buying the Nordic Naturals....because our co-op has it....and I hate being without it....I take 1 TBS in about 1/8 cup of pure o.j. in the morning and it goes right down...as does my almost 4 yr old daughter I give her just 1 tsp....

I have also added some nurtritional yeast for the B vitamins....but thinking a vitamin might be better than trying to choke that stuff down!

Would love to hear your input on the Nordic Naturals! Thanks! Beth in Idaho

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2007, 04:53:37 AM »
I have a few questions about the CLO:

Can you take the SuperMom vitamin with it?  I've borrowed a few of the vits from my sister just to see if I can feel any difference before I invest in it myself so I don't have the bottle with the amounts of different components.  I'm getting vit A and D from the CLO already and I also take a B-complex every morning.  I jut don't want to OD on any of those things that I'm already taking.  Or does SuperMom just replace all of that?

How much Vit A and D does your CLO have?  I'm taking the pills (yes, I'm a total chicken about the taste) so I'd like to compare how much I'm actually getting, but there isn't any amount listed for cod liver oil - just amounts listed for vit A and D.  One softgel contains 1250 IU of vit A and 130 IU of D.  I take three each morning.

What do you think works better for immune building to avoid sickness - echinechea (spelling?) or cod liver oil?

Thanks a bunch!

Offline russiabear

• Learning
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2007, 06:13:54 AM »
Okay I'm convinced I have weird kiddos... I've been giving them cod liver oil every morning for the past 3 years - straight from the spoon and they LOVE the stuff, we call it 'fish juice' and they ask for it if I forget.  I've always used the Nordic Natural or Garden of Life and can't tell a huge difference although the GOL does have a slightly stronger fishy taste. 

Anyway, I was about to place a large order and was told by a friend that it is better for children to give them the Nordic Naturals children's DHA that they sell - for some reason it's better for children than Cod liver oil??  Does anyone know the difference??  What is better??  Thanks for any info!

Offline LoLFamily

• Learning
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2007, 06:27:11 AM »
I'm taking the pills (yes, I'm a total chicken about the taste) ...

Joyful Mommy -
I've just recently started taking CLO and was
very worried about the taste. We gambled on
Carlson's Lemon CLO and I think we made the
right choice. It has virtually no fishy taste,
just a kind of lemony oil. My DH says its like
drinking a little bit of Pledge. If you put it
in a small amount of oj (maybe an inch)
it helps it to slide down easier.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2007, 07:12:25 AM »
Patti...you mentioned you used the Nordic Naturals...CLO....I was using that too...but then I read and it mentioned something about adding soy to it....I dont have a bottle right now so dont know exactly what it said....but it worried me that it had I think soy lecithin in it...I used the orange...I have been without it for a couple weeks now because I dont know what kind to buy...I liked the convenience of buying the Nordic Naturals....because our co-op has it....and I hate being without it....I take 1 TBS in about 1/8 cup of pure o.j. in the morning and it goes right down...as does my almost 4 yr old daughter I give her just 1 tsp....

I have also added some nurtritional yeast for the B vitamins....but thinking a vitamin might be better than trying to choke that stuff down!

Would love to hear your input on the Nordic Naturals! Thanks! Beth in Idaho

Beth,

My bottle says no soy in it.  Lecithin is a fat emulsifier so even if it had soy lecithin in it I think it's fine.  People taken lecithin graules all the time without hormone issues so I'm not sure what the difference is.  Maybe someone else here will know.  I have had horrendous hormone issues I've been dealing with for 4yrs and now that my hormones are straightened out I'm still not noticing any difficulty with the NN.  So, don't know what to tell you.  Maybe they changed their formula recently.  I just bought mine and it says no lecithin.

Sorry can't be much help with this.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »
Bump!  Anyone have any thoughts on the message below>  Thanks a bunch!

I have a few questions about the CLO:

Can you take the SuperMom vitamin with it?  I've borrowed a few of the vits from my sister just to see if I can feel any difference before I invest in it myself so I don't have the bottle with the amounts of different components.  I'm getting vit A and D from the CLO already and I also take a B-complex every morning.  I jut don't want to OD on any of those things that I'm already taking.  Or does SuperMom just replace all of that?

How much Vit A and D does your CLO have?  I'm taking the pills (yes, I'm a total chicken about the taste) so I'd like to compare how much I'm actually getting, but there isn't any amount listed for cod liver oil - just amounts listed for vit A and D.  One softgel contains 1250 IU of vit A and 130 IU of D.  I take three each morning.

What do you think works better for immune building to avoid sickness - echinechea (spelling?) or cod liver oil?

Thanks a bunch!

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2007, 08:22:30 PM »
Cod Liver Oil and Pregnancy - lots of people have recommended it but too much Vitamin A is dangerous for the baby - it can cause defects and blindness.  SO... can anyone tell me how much cod liver oil is safe and why? 
I'm sure the answer may have been somewhere on here already but after scrolling through 4 pages of messages on CLO and not finding it I decided to just ask ...
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »

We were told by our naturapath that they have no studies where anyone has ever died of a Vit. A overdose.  I believe the same goes for babies.  If you get too much you stop taking it and everything is fine.  If you're really concerned I would limit your use to 1 tsp. a day instead of the usual 1 tbls for maintenance type doses. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2007, 04:59:13 AM »
Ok here's my understanding of the issue (and please check this as it is just what I've gleaned from different places).  Vit A in it's 'true' (retinol) form is a fat soluble vit which means your body has a hard time flushing out the extra it has and can make for toxic build up. But most 'natural' forms of vit A are in the form of Beta Caroteme which is sort of pre-vit A and is water soluble so if you get to much your body flushes it out easily and no toxic build up.  Cod-Liver oil's Vit A (if you have a good supplement) comes in the form of Beta Carotene and so isn't going to give you a toxic supply of vit A.  I hope that helps!

-Heather

(p.s. I appologize in advanced for my misspelling  ??? big words can leave me clueless!)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2007, 06:21:34 AM »
Quote from: Eat Fat Lose Fat
...your body cannot make stress and sex hormones without vitamin A, provided exclusively by fatty animal foods such as liver, shellfish, and cold-liver oil (taken as liquid or capsules)...

...vitamin A, which nourishes your thyroid gland and is vital for the production of adrenal hormones.  It also guarantees calcium and mineral absorption, makes protein assimilation possible, and supports the endocrine system...

...In adults, vitamin A depletion can lead to autoimmune disease, immune system dysfunction, endocrine disruption, thyroid problems, and ever cancer...

...vitamins A and D are catalyst to mineral absorption and protein utilization.  Without them, you cannot absorb minerals, no matter how abundant they may be in your food. 

...Another needless warning is that liver contains dangerously high amounts of vitamin A.  Studies showing that synthetic vitamin A in large amounts can cause health problems such as bone loss and birth defects have led authorities to mistakenly condemn healthy foods containing natural vitamin A.  In fact, natural vitamin A protects against bone loss and birth defects.  For example, a 1999 study carried out in Rome found no congenital malformations among 120 infants exposed to more than 50,000 IU of vitamin A per day, while a 2002 study at the University of Wisconsin found that men taking 25,000 IU of vitamin A from cod-liver oil for six weeks had no alteration of bone-loss indicators.  According to the authoritative Merck Manual, natural vitamin A from healthy animal sources is not toxic except in very large amounts (100,000 IU per day).

Vitamin A is essential for optimal health, and liver is a premier source of the vital nutrient, supplying between 16,000 (for chicken liver) and 36,000 IU (for beef liver) of vitamin A per 100-gram serving...
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2007, 06:28:57 AM »
Mrs. Healthy Bratt ;D~ I found TRIPLE COD LIVER OIL!!! :o With 1250 IU of Vit A and 135 IU of Vit D, 173 mg of EPA, and 120mg of DHA!!! My dh has been taking three capsules. He was taking 6 capsules of the other stuff he was taking which if I remember right was probably half of this. Just wondering if you think 3 capsules of the triple is too much~ he is a big fella though ;). I could'nt find the liquid, would have been easier.
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2007, 06:28:11 PM »
Blue Ice High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil has 5750 IU's of Vitamin A and 575 IU's of Vitamin D, per serving (I don't know how much a serving is, though). 

It's recommended by the Weston A. Price Foundation as being pure in the way it's manufactured (apparently, most add stuff to their oil to bump the vitamin levels instead of it all coming from cod livers).

I'd love to buy it one day so I can finally try the cinnamon flavor that I hear so many people raving about (and maybe get my dh to start taking it). The cheapest I've seen it online is here:
http://www.renewedhealth.com/site/474569/product/917-6998592

Anyway, I just thought I'd add this info to the thread.

Oh, and here's an article about cod liver oil manufacturing from "Wise Traditions", the Weston A. Price Foundation newsletter.
http://www.greenpasture.org/content/CodLiverOilwetzel.pdf

WR

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2007, 06:40:50 AM »
Patti...I did go back in the store and read again on the Nordic Naturals...and the one with Vitamin D did not have the soy although it said it was produced where soy was used...but the one without added Vit D did say it had soy added...so I am not trying to figure out if I should order the blue ice on line but it is so pricey and should I get it with the added butter or not....decisions....decisions decisions! I really liked just getting the nn but dont want the soy....okay off to do some more research! Thanks for your input....Beth in Idaho

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2007, 07:13:29 AM »
Someone on the NT email list I'm on, got info from the company that said the combo product was not meant to replace the separate clo/bo products and that its purpose was to be convenient and a price option some choose.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2007, 08:10:44 AM »
Mrs. Healthy Bratt ;D~ I found TRIPLE COD LIVER OIL!!! :o With 1250 IU of Vit A and 135 IU of Vit D, 173 mg of EPA, and 120mg of DHA!!! My dh has been taking three capsules. He was taking 6 capsules of the other stuff he was taking which if I remember right was probably half of this. Just wondering if you think 3 capsules of the triple is too much~ he is a big fella though ;). I could'nt find the liquid, would have been easier.

Quote from: Eat Fat Lose Fat
An optimal maintenance dose of cod-liver oil provides 10,000 IU of vitamin A per day for adults and 5000 IU of vitamin A per day for infants and children.  Those recovering from illness, accident, or surgery should take 20,000 IU a day.  Miraculous cures from various conditions, especially cancer and hormonal imbalances leading to menstrual and fertility problems, have been reported by people taking even larger doses for several weeks or months.  High vitamin cod-liver oil is perfect for weight loss, since it provides the maximum amount of A and D for the minimum number of calories.

How to Buy It

Cod-liver oil comes in several potencies, both in capsules and in liquid form.  You can get 10,000 IU from about 1 teaspoon high-vitamin cod-liver oil or 2 teaspoons regular cod-liver oil.  for capsules, look at the label to see how many capsules equal 10,000.  (Note:  The high-dose capsules are quite large.)  Many people find the capsules easier to take, but they are more expensive and some report difficulty in digesting them or even have allergic reactions to the capsule material itself.

There are also some very low-potency brands from which vitamins A and D have been largely removed due to misplaced concerns that these vitamins are toxic.  For recommended brands, see the Resources section.

Note:  Fish oil contains very little vitamin A or D.  You should take fish liver oil (oil from the liver of cod or of other fish such as haddock, shark, or burdot, a type of freshwater cod), because only oil from the liver supplies generous quantities of these vitamins.  Buy cod-liver oil in a dark bottle and store in a cool, dark, dry place.  If you kitchen is very warm, keep it in the refrigerator...

from the Resources Section:

Cod-Liver Oil, Regular

In stores:  Garden of Life (available in health foods stores)

Cod-Liver Oil, High Vitamin

Mail order:  Radiant Life, radiantlifecatalog.com
Green Pastures Products, greenpasture.org..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:24:17 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »
Green Pastures are the ones who make the Blue Ice High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil.
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2007, 05:20:34 PM »
My naturopath has told me to take an Omega 3 with LOTS of EPA!  She wants me to consume 1700 mg/day of just the EPA.  She said that cod liver oil will not give me what I need.  I have what we assume is endometriosis and she also suggested laporoscopic surgery.  I also have hormone related seizures which are controlled with progesterone supplementation.  Do any of you know of a product with that much EPA?  Right now I am taking fish oil from Puritan's Pride, 6/day but that only gives me maybe two thirds of the EPA that I need.  It is fairly inexpensive, but it is probably not a quality product.  Mercury and such.  Anyway, I just need some input about the whole EPA thing.  I don't even know what it is supposed to do, as opposed to the DHA.  Thanks!

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2007, 07:42:40 AM »
bump

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2007, 08:42:20 AM »
My naturopath has told me to take an Omega 3 with LOTS of EPA!  She wants me to consume 1700 mg/day of just the EPA.  She said that cod liver oil will not give me what I need.  I have what we assume is endometriosis and she also suggested laporoscopic surgery.  I also have hormone related seizures which are controlled with progesterone supplementation.  Do any of you know of a product with that much EPA?  Right now I am taking fish oil from Puritan's Pride, 6/day but that only gives me maybe two thirds of the EPA that I need.  It is fairly inexpensive, but it is probably not a quality product.  Mercury and such.  Anyway, I just need some input about the whole EPA thing.  I don't even know what it is supposed to do, as opposed to the DHA.  Thanks!
Try food.  ;)

Natural sources of omega 3 fats include:
Avacodoes, Walnuts, Walnut Oil, Fish Oil, Salmon, Scallops, Halibut, Shrimp, Snapper, Tofu, Squash, Herring, Mackerel, Anchovies, Sardines, Tuna, Chia, Perilla, Purslane, Lingonberry, Hemp, Krill, Krill Oil, Animal Fat (grass fed has higher fat content), Lamb (even commercial lamb is generally grass fed and is reputed to be one of the best meat sources), Dairy (grass fed has higher fat content), MicroAlgae(Crypthecodinium cohnii and Schizochytrium), Brown Algae and Acai(Palm Fruit)

AND

I found at least a couple of ads for a supplement just by Googling "EPA and Omega"

http://vitanetonline.com/description/SN0628/vitamins/Omega-EPA-Fish-Oil-1000-mg/
http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3057
http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/fatty_acids/pro_epa/Pro_EPA_60_816.html
http://www.1stvitality.com/acatalog/omega_3_epa.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:47:52 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2007, 09:57:42 AM »
   According to Weston Price, cod liver oil without the x factor from butter is relatiively ineffective. What do you guys think?
  Green Pastures makes a cod liver oil capsule that has the x factor right in it.

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2007, 10:31:42 AM »
   According to Weston Price, cod liver oil without the x factor from butter is relatiively ineffective. What do you guys think?
  Green Pastures makes a cod liver oil capsule that has the x factor right in it.
I am curious about this question too.  Actually from the way I understood it, Weston Price claimed CLO seemed ineffective when he used it alone when he was called to the deathbed of many patients.  That might be different in a normal healthy person. 
I noticed that we are down to the last inch of our 16.5 oz bottle of Carlson's, so I am doing some research on what to order next.  I have noticed a definite improvement in our family's overall health, but we have made many lifestyle changes to contribute to this.  I have noticed that my 7 year old is much calmer when we take it and his behavior does tend to sprial gradually when we forget several days in a row. 
As a side note, one way we have gotten our kids to take it right off the spoon is we told them that it would make them smart and that it was brain food.  At first it was hard, but now they often ask for a second spoonful.
But anyway, back on topic, do you think we need the butter oil in addition to the cod liver oil if you already have a regular diet of raw milk and raw milk products.  Our cow isn't strictly grass fed, but she isn't fed a lot of corn or soy.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline lavendergirl

• Adept
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2007, 11:09:40 AM »

Is it o.k. to take cod liver oil while taking YA/TTU/Supermom? I have the Garden of Life liquid and i know i need to be taking it but i have been such a chicken ;)

Thanks Becky

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2007, 11:22:43 AM »

Is it o.k. to take cod liver oil while taking YA/TTU/Supermom? I have the Garden of Life liquid and i know i need to be taking it but i have been such a chicken ;)

Thanks Becky
I do.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lavendergirl

• Adept
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »

Thanks for your fast reply ;D Do you take it first thing in the morning with the first dose of YA/TTU? Are you only taking 1 tsp. daily?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2007, 02:32:04 PM »

Thanks for your fast reply ;D Do you take it first thing in the morning with the first dose of YA/TTU? Are you only taking 1 tsp. daily?
So far, my teen daughter and I are the only ones taking CLO.  I take them all together.  I believe that many good healthy vitamins are fat soluable, so CLO would help them to digest and absorb better.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BigMamaH

• Adept
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2007, 05:18:18 AM »

So far, my teen daughter and I are the only ones taking CLO.  I take them all together.  I believe that many good healthy vitamins are fat soluable, so CLO would help them to digest and absorb better.

My husband came home from his nutrition class last night and we had a whole conversation about vitamins and water/fat soluble and the only vitamins that are fat-soluble are A, D, E and K.   All others are water soluble, which means that your body only takes what it needs and flushes the rest.  The vit A in Supermom is in the Beta-Carotene, if I understand correctly, your body takes the Beta-Carotene (which is water-soluble) and gets/manufactures the vitamin A from it, taking only as much as your body needs and flushing the rest.  I found a neat site that says:
Fat-soluble Vitamin A compounds include retinol, retinal and retinoic acid. This vitamin group is vital to eye and retina function (whence its name retinol is derived), protects the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose, throat and lungs from damage, and reduces risk of infection (immune enhancer) and cancer. Low Vitamin A levels are correlated with increased incidence of several cancers, most notably those of the lung, larynx, oesophagus, mouth, stomach, colon, prostate and cervix. Vitamin A is found in animal and fish liver, eggs, milk and butter; levels above 20,000 IU per day may be toxic.
     Carotenoids such as beta carotene, sometimes called pro-vitamin A, are water-soluble precursors which are made into Vitamin A by the body. While you can overdose on fat-soluble Vitamin A, large doses of water-soluble beta carotene, found in carrots, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, orange and yellow fruits, are non-toxic and constitute an extremely potent source of antioxidant activity.   
it's from: http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Cancer/good3.htm
All of this also means that because all but 4 of the vitamins are water soluble, The Water-Cure sounds like a good idea (in general, at least.  I don't necessarily agree with ALL that he says) meaning that if you are getting all of the water your body needs that it will be able to utilize the vitamins you are taking in, since it needs water to do that!  Sorry if that was a bit repetative, wrapping it up has never been my strong point.  ::)
After getting a sticker from the Dr. that said, "GIRLS RULE!" on it my daughter said, "I know what the girl's rule is at our house!  Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right!"

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »
I hope this isn't a dumb question - but, my son was told to take Vitamin A for acne, so he is taking just capsules of Vit A.  Would the cod Liver oil actually be better, and would that help acne?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2007, 01:19:26 PM »
I hope this isn't a dumb question - but, my son was told to take Vitamin A for acne, so he is taking just capsules of Vit A.  Would the cod Liver oil actually be better, and would that help acne?
Cod Liver is excellent for alot of things including a great source of natural vitamin A.  ;D  I would definately choose CLO over an "A" supplement any day.
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2007, 10:01:45 AM »
Bump! I'm enjoying this thread!  ;D

Any more testimonies on how it has helped skin and behavior in boys?   ;)