Author Topic: erythema nodosum  (Read 13363 times)

Offline atthebeginning

• Adept
erythema nodosum
« on: October 21, 2006, 01:21:19 PM »
Hi all!
Back sometime in early August, I noticed a bruise-looking mark the size of a quarter on the front of my left shin just above my ankle. By the beginning of September it had gotten bigger. Because it was red with darker spots in the center, and the fact that it wasn't leaving, I went to a quick care facility to have it looked at. The doctor thought it was indeed just a bruise, to elevate it and put heat on it to get the blood moving. I also took some bromelain capsules (three 3x a day for 10 days) and even though the bruise was older, I also applied arnica gel. After about a week of that, It started peeling all over the red area (which is about 3in.x3in. now). Well, last week I was home from college for a break, and I had a friend, who is a nurse, look at it, and she was afraid it was a spider bite, so I went to another doctor. He thought it was erythema nodosum. I looked that up on the internet and found that it is an inflammation in the fatty tissue layer that can be caused by a number of things such as antibiotics, and other things I can't remember. None of the causes applied to me, except for stress. (New year of college after a year off, new class, new bording family, etc.) Not that I'm stressing out or worrying about these things, but they do tend to build up. So that's a possibility. Well, there is no real cure that I could find except time. The doctor recommended ibuprofen to help with the pain and it would also work as an anti-inflammatory. The pain is minimal, but the ankle is swollen pretty bad. I can't keep it elevated all the time - I have a life to live after all - and the thought of being on ibuprofen for a while doesn't sound appealing either. Regular application of lotion has helped with the peeling and itching, but the redness will just take time to go away.
Has anyone heard of this condition, and what did you do?
Would an essential oil like lavendar work just as well as the ibuprofen for the swelling, do you think?
Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like I said the pain isn't an issue, but the swelling is bothering me.
I wander still.  But the world is round.
~C. S. Lewis

truth - beauty - goodness

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: erythema nodosum
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 03:43:48 PM »
Hey atthebeginning,

My mother was diagnosed with this.  In fact, you are the only other person I have heard to have this, that I thought my mother got on here somehow to ask questions!!   ;)
She does nothing alternative and so lives with the pain and medication. 
I would suggest other means of anti-inflammatory things such as pineapple(bromelain, which you have already tried), cherries, or turmeric, a spice commonly found in curries. 
Also, there is a possible correlation with this and an allergy to the nightshade foods such as: tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and white potatoes.  Perhaps, you could try eliminating these things to see if it has any effectual change on you.  I also know that my mother's doctor says that the nodes contains crystallized protein, almost the same symptoms as gout.  I would not recommend that you eliminate a whole lot out of your diet, except for any kind of meat or egg that you would buy from a store because of the high hormones in them.  My mother eats these things like crazy with no care of what is in the meat and eggs and she suffers from this condition pretty bad, so it is something to think about.
I would also suggest a small cleanse like the water cure:

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,369.0.html

I think you will find something that will make it work.  You are young and have an interest in finding out the truth.  Two good things going for you.  Good luck at college and let us know what works for you. HTH

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 05:44:22 PM »
He thought it was erythema nodosum. I looked that up on the internet and found that it is an inflammation in the fatty tissue layer that can be caused by a number of things such as antibiotics, and other things I can't remember. None of the causes applied to me,

Okay, first, you said none of these causes applied to you, but I'm guessing you probably eat meat?  Cows and chickens are full of antibiotics as is milk.  Your tap water also contains chlorine which in essence is an antibiotic as well.

Next, if you're fighting inflammation, I would look into taking cod liver oil supplements.  They are highly recommended to fight inflammation naturally in the body and helps heal and keep a number of things in the body healthy.  CLO is also healthy for the gut, the eyes, the ligaments and joints, and on and on and on. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 02:57:33 AM »
Something else that I was thinking of last night is my mother's nodes are on her arms.  I don't even know if you can get this on your legs?  I would search that out and possibly get a second opinion.  I will have to ask my mom if you can get it on your legs, too.

Offline atthebeginning

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:20:35 PM »
Something else that I was thinking of last night is my mother's nodes are on her arms.  I don't even know if you can get this on your legs?  I would search that out and possibly get a second opinion.  I will have to ask my mom if you can get it on your legs, too.
Yes, from what I found online, it is actually more common on the lower legs than the arms. I think it's strange that I've never heard of this before if so many people have it. It's just one of those things that people would probably not want to talk about usually. ;)
By the way, I only just found your reply, because the area is itching intensly right now, so I looked to see if anyone had answered yet. Thanks for the reply, I will have to see what I can do. I really love tomatoes. :( I've only had eggplant a couple times (not recently), but I do have a lot of potatoes, meat and eggs at home. I feel like my hands are tied when it comes to actually putting what I'm learning into practice because my budget is so tight, and I'm not the one who does the shopping and most of the cooking. (I board with a family.) I'll talk to my boarding "mom" - I'm sure she'll be understanding.
I think what I will try is the water cure, and try to eliminate what I can where I can. And thanks so much for the responce.
~ATB
~C. S. Lewis

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 03:25:37 AM »
Hey,

I asked my Mom last night and it is more in the legs.  In fact, because hers was diagnosed in her arms, she feels as if she was misdiagnosed.  What is wrong with doctors these days??  UGH!!  Hope you find something natural that works for you.  Sometimes it takes a while to find that one thing.  But you will learn a hundred other things on the way to learning.  Good luck! ;)

Offline atthebeginning

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 12:07:48 PM »
I just googled "cod liver oil antiinflammetory" and came up with this site:
http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Supp/Fish_Oil.htm
The following seems to be exactly the problem:
"The omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil help to balance the omega-6 fatty acids, which are found mostly in vegetable oils. When these two groups of fatty acids are out of balance, the body releases chemicals that promote inflammation. People appear to produce more of these inflammatory chemicals when experiencing psychological stress (e.g., academic examinations). With a fatty acid imbalance, inflammatory response to stress appears to be amplified."
Yesterday I got a 16oz. bottle of orange flavored CLO and took 1tsp last night and 1tsp this morning. Talk about nasty! :P :P :P I definitely have to have something ready to eat/drink right away. I researched to make sure I was getting a good product, and I know it's really good for me, but YUCKY. Next time I will get the capsules.
~ATB
~C. S. Lewis

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »
Good research!!!  It makes perfect sense to me!!  In fact, Sandy Fallon was just discussing this on her phone seminar that most people get an over abundance of omega 6's found in processed vegetable oils, soy, etc. and not enough omega 3's!!  She recommended 10,000 IU of Vitamin A from Cod Liver Oil.  I think it may actually work for you.  Let me know how it goes.  Oh, by the way, did you buy the Carlson's brand?

Offline atthebeginning

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 03:51:42 PM »
Oh, by the way, did you buy the Carlson's brand?
No, the brand at the local Good Food Store is Nordic Naturals Arctic CLO (100%) with enhanced stabilizers (I'm not sure what that means). Ingredients: purified arctic cod liver oil, d-alpha tocoherol, 100% natual orange oil, rosemary extract. The vitamins A and D are not added in, but unfortunately the vitamin E is derived from refined soybean oil.
"Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Lover Oil from Norway is molecularly distilled and enhanced with antioxidants for freshness and great taste. This product has the highest level of Omega-3 fatty acids per teaspoon of any cod liver oil, with only naturally occurring vitamins A and D. All Nordic Naturals products surpass all national and international pharmaceutical standards for freshness and purity, and are free from heavy metals, dioxins, and PCBs. Every batch is third party tested to guarantee exceptional freshness and purity levels."
I've never had straight CLO - don't plan on it either! - so I don't know how much the orange oil masks the flavor. It would help if I liked fish in the first place.
~ATB
~C. S. Lewis

Offline iloveherbs

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 02:56:30 AM »
Hi, this is my very first time on this site, and the very first topic that caught my eye was erythema nodosum!  The reason I noticed it is because my mother has been suffering with it off and on for probably 20 years!  She's 80 now and just had a bad bout of it last spring that seemed to take forever to clear up. WEEKS, more than a month, sometimes up to three months.

She tends to get them on her legs after she bumps herself, often the shin or thigh.  It looks awful and can be quite debilitating.  Very painful.  Itchy.  Swollen, the skin looks tight and shiny, like it could burst.  Very bruised, purple and red.

Unfortunately I have nothing helpful to offer.  She's not the herbal type, just does the typical whatever-the-doctor-says.  But he has no cures for this.  She usually goes on antibiotics, but I don't see that that has ever helped. She eats typical American food, heavy on meat and processed stuff.  She's overweight. 

If you learn more please let me know.  I've never been in touch or know of anyone else who had this.   Love to you!  Hope you don't get my Mom's history!  Its well worth your time and research now so you don't have to live with this the rest of your life!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 03:07:09 AM by iloveherbs »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 03:18:10 AM »

She tends to get them on her legs after she bumps herself, often the shin or thigh.  It looks awful and can be quite debilitating.  Very painful.  Itchy.  Swollen, the skin looks tight and shiny, like it could burst.  Very bruised, purple and red.

This sounds exactly like lupus.  My friend in High School had exactly what you described and she was diagnosed with it when she was 16.