Author Topic: Chronic Diarrhea: Causes & Cures  (Read 11258 times)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
Chronic Diarrhea: Causes & Cures
« on: November 01, 2006, 04:45:19 AM »
My two yr old and 4 yr old have had bad diarrhea off and on for two weeks now.  We can't seem to get rid of it!  They are miserable.  My two yr old has a really bad sore bottom from it.  Is there anything I can put on it to soothe it?  Also, what can I give them to get rid of the diarrhea?  They are already on probiotics (have been for a long time), my 4 yr old takes TTU AB.  I know about the BRAT diet, but my 4 yr old has allergies and cannot have gluten, diary, raspberries, yeast, peanuts, bananas, and some other stuff.  So, any suggestions on what could kick this bad virus?  The poor guys are soooo miserable!!  :-[
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline lynn

• Learning
Re: Chronic Diarrhea: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 05:34:54 AM »
You might want to see about getting a stool culture to make sure they haven't picked up Shigella (bacillary dysentery) When my kids have sore bottoms from loose stools I usually have them soak in a tub of warm water with some baking soda or oatmeal.   

Offline idahonatives

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 06:08:54 AM »
Have you tried carob and rice water?  That has always helped us and doesn't taste too bad. 

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 06:52:38 AM »
I endured 3 YEARS of diarrhea with my little one. He was growing and the doctors were all out of ideas. There were lots of things we tried to treat the symptoms. They all worked somewhat, but the diarrhea returned again and again and again. He was on a no processed foods, no processed sugars, organic as much as possible diet.

What finally worked was when we took him off of ALL supplements. Every one. His system was somehow responding badly to even the ones that were specially formulated for his condition. I made sure to purchase high end quality supplements. Nevertheless, HIS system couldn't handle them.

To repopulate his gut, I started serving lots of fermented foods. But the one thing that made the biggest difference (and, in my opinion turned things around) was Kombucha. For some people it works as a laxative, but for him, it seemed to address some root causes and re-balance his system. I see Kombucha as a balancing tonic that helps to regulate digestive function.

And, after three years of diarrhea, I'm very grateful for Kombucha!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:52:53 AM »
Where do you get carob and rice water?  Whatever they have, I think I have it too only b/c I'm having bad pains all over in my intestines for the last two days  :P  It hurts!!
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:15:58 AM »
SC,
He's not currently taking anything that he hasn't taken before.  Everything he's on he has been on for awhile.  He takes two capsules of TTU AB a night b/c his practitioner wanted him to have 15-20 billion organisms of probiotic a day.  I thought the TTU AB would help the diarrhea but it's not.  I'm sure it was a virus b/c my 2 yr old got it soon after my 4 yr old did, but they both can't seem to kick it - it just keeps coming back!  Also, I thought maybe my 4 yr old's diarrhea today looked really yeasty, so for him it could be yeast leaving his body b/c he's on yeast treatment.  But as for my 2 yr old, he's got it bad and he's not on anything.  And with me having the severe stomach pain, it's got to be some type of virus we just can't get rid of.  I'm going to boil our toothbrushes and stuff, but I wish there was something they could take to aleviate the discomfort!  And help my poor little guys raw bottom!

BTW, what is Kombucha????

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »
Kombucha is a symbiotic culture that lives off of sugars and other impurities, producing glucoronic acid (your liver uses this) in the process. The resulting tea is considered a health tonic which supports the liver in the removal of toxins from the body. It aids the body's natural cleansing process and boosts the immune system and is a proven prophylactic against cancer and other degenerative diseases. AND it TASTES GREAT!
Kombucha thread:
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,832.0.html

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 07:09:21 AM »
I've used Tummy Tuneup with good results in combination with kombucha daily with my kids.  They had diarrhea for almost 3 weeks and I began giving them probiotics.  Within a few days, their stools began to firm up.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline cherish

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 09:37:04 AM »
I don't know if you have access to herbs but some herbs to help diarrhea are:
Comfrey - infusion or tincture
Marshmallow - infusion, decoction (tea) or powder
Mullein - Infusion, powder, syrup, tincture
Nettles - Infusion, tincture
Plantain (should be some in your backyard) - infusion or decoction (make a tea of the tops)
Red Raspberry Leaf - Infusion, decoction, tincture or powder

These are more common herbs and shouldn't be hard to find.  Hopefully you have some on hand.

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 07:52:26 AM »
Have you tried carob and rice water?  That has always helped us and doesn't taste too bad. 

Interesting--Duke's Green Pharmacy says, "I reviewed a study w/ 41 infants w/ bacterial or viral diarrhea.  Children given an inactive substance (a placebo) had diarrhea for an average of nearly 4 days.  Children given carob powder had it for only 2 days." 

He also had bad salmonella and his Panamanian Dr. prescribed powdered carob for the diarrhea (30 years ago) and it seemed to work.   

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 10:45:59 AM »
I read in Shonda Parker's book that 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp unsweetened carob powder added to 2 Tbsp applesauce given several times a day can help with diarrhea.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »
Colostrum (bovine -- supplement form) is great for diarrhea. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 01:49:26 PM »
I don't know if you have access to herbs but some herbs to help diarrhea are:
Comfrey - infusion or tincture
Marshmallow - infusion, decoction (tea) or powder
Mullein - Infusion, powder, syrup, tincture
Nettles - Infusion, tincture
Plantain (should be some in your backyard) - infusion or decoction (make a tea of the tops)
Red Raspberry Leaf - Infusion, decoction, tincture or powder

These are more common herbs and shouldn't be hard to find.  Hopefully you have some on hand.

Okay, this may sound dumb - especially since I use herbal teas and tinctures regularly, but -
What are decoctions an infusions?  I thought they were teas??  ~L

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 04:21:44 PM »
Okay, this may sound dumb - especially since I use herbal teas and tinctures regularly, but -
What are decoctions and infusions?  I thought they were teas??  ~L
I'm still learning these, too! :D

An infusion is similar to what most people think of as tea.  A beverage tea is usually dunked a few times and drunk...but a medicinal tea/infusion should steep for 10-20 minutes, or until cool.

Decoctions involve putting herbal material (loose) in the water, THEN boiling or simmering for 10-20 minutes.

Infusions work best for leaf & flower material b/c they usually yield their phytochemicals more easily.

Decoctions are typically used for root and twig materials b/c it can be difficult to extract medicinal phytochemicals from them. 

Hope that's clear!  :)

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 04:41:44 PM »
Based on Practical Herbalism 101

Infusion -- procedure for making tea
Boiling water is poured over herbs and allowed to stand for 15 minutes or so. Herbs can be strained from liquid which can then be sweetened (if desired) and drank or used in another application. This works well with delicate plant parts like flowers, leaves or flowering tops. It is important to cover infusions while they are standing so that volatile elements are not lost in the steam.

Decoction
Herbs are combined with water in a non-reactive pot (glass or stainless steel) and brought slowly to a boiling point (use low heat) and simmered for 15 to 30 minutes. Sometimes, this is done until liquid is reduced to half (if directed to do so). Decoctions are usually made from denser, woody parts of plants such as the roots, bark and stems.

SC's NOTES:
I do a variation of these by placing my herbs in a glass jar with well-fitting lid. I pour boiling water over the herbs and seal the jar, letting it stand until it reaches room temperature -- sometimes longer, depending on the application.

Also, always use the purest water you can find. Only prepare as much as you need for the use. These don't keep well for extended times. It is best to use them within 48 hours.

Tinctures
Concentrated liquid extracts of herbs made by processing them in a natural solvent that dissolves and pulls the propertis of the herbs into the liquid. There are various solvents (vegetable glycerine, oil, alcohol, distilled water) and means of processing (water bath, crock pot, pressure canner, sun brewing, shelf brewing).
Concentrated

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 04:49:24 AM »
I need fast help from my WTM friends.  My DH has been working long hard hours for the past 60 days, with only one day off in all that time.  He is quite worn out, but it is not over yet, and may not be for quite some time.  That is enough to give anyone problems, I know, but there is a different problem which is stressing him more than work right now: his colon.  He has always had problems with it, but lately he has had recurring bouts of diarrhea.  Sometimes they come on so suddenly that he cannot make it to the bathroom in time.  It happened last night while he was driving in to work around 6:00; he had to turn around and come home to get cleaned up.  :P :-[  When he finally did make it to work (late) he had diarrhea three more times before midnight--thankfully he made it to a bathroom in time. 
  This happening scares him more than anything.  He is honestly beginning to wonder if he will make it to retirement, which is just a couple of years away.  He even told me he had asked the Lord if this was "unto death"!
  Between the bouts with diarrhea, his stools are frequently pale, and he has a lot of discomfort in his gut.  He has been taking Tummy-Tune-up, though not every day.  He has also started drinking Red Raspberry Tea, with peppermint in it, when he is having discomfort.  Sometimes it seems to help, sometimes not.  He has also tried papaya enzymes, and done a few "cleanses", usually ones that are supposed to be gentle and done over the space of a month or so; none of these has shown any results.  He has NOT tried cleanses that require enemas (he absolutely will not do an enema), nor cleanses that require you to be near a bathroom for most of the day, since the bathrooms at work are one person deals, and he can't be guaranteed that one would be available.  Plus, he doesn't want to have to occupy the only bathroom in his building for too long a time.  He has also not gone to the doctor, and he is very adamant that he will not--he has no faith in doctors whatsoever.
It's a tall order, I know, but I need to know what will help DH that he can do while he is working these long hours, and doesn't require an enema or a doctor visit.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 04:55:45 AM »
I wonder if drinking raw apple cider vinegar would help?  Poor guy.  That is so not fun.  My dad has had problems like this b/f.  Sometimes it was stress induced I think.  He also had hemrroid sugery w/o his knowledge.  Not sure how that happens but he went in for appendicitis and they "took care" of that too. He's never been the same I think.  He also has had his gallbladder removed.  Not sure what you would want the enema for but he could drink the 1 quart of warm salt water(two tsp)that acts as an emema.  Would want to give it about an hour b/f he had to be anywhere.  Supposed to be done first thing in themorning on empty stomach.  Not sure how that would help though.  Could it be stress?  with all this extra work?  Sorry I am not being much help.  He does need to continue the probiotics maybe more regularly.  Hope he find relief soon. 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 07:22:12 AM »
Did he treat with antifungals after the mold in your house was removed? If he did it could be die off or he needs more probiotics. If he didn't, it could be that he needs to treat with antifungals to get the mold out of his body.

That said there is another thing that is very likely what is wrong- he probably threw his back out. You said he has been working very long hours which makes it even more likely than average. Heres what I posted on the gall bladder thread:

Try chiropractic treatment. Nerves to every organ in the body run through the spine. If a vertebra is out it can irritate the nerve that is leading to an organ & cause problems in that organ. Which organ depends on which vertebra is out. The nerve for the gall bladder for instance is in the upper back & the is one for the stomach is lower down.

I have an S curve in my spine & the change over is right at the nerve for the gall bladder. That makes that the weakest spot in my back & it goes out a lot. When it's out it irritates my gall bladder & I either get the runs, (the gall bladder spasms putting out too much bile which is a laxative) vomit bile,  :P :P or have the symptoms of a gall bladder attack. Resetting my back stops it cold. DH has gotten quite good at setting my neck & back. For years before I found out about this Drs were telling me that I needed to have my gall bladder removed (which I refused) but they couldn't figure out why I was having problems since I didn't have stones, my ultrasound only showed a little bit of sand & it wasn't big enough to cause problems. I don't have gall bladder problems, I have a bad back. That isn't the case for everybody but it is in my case. I've been using the back resetting for 16 yrs so if it was truly my gal bladder I would know it by now. I have also stopped the runs numerous times in family members by resetting their backs. I have done it for a few non family members as well but I am cautious about who I offer to do it for. I know how to reset backs & necks but I'm leery of doing it on just anybody. Obviously, the runs have many causes but sometimes it is nothing more than the upper back is out. 

Here is a chart showing which vertebrae go with which part of the body. It's at the bottom of the page so just scroll down:

Spine Chart

I thought that this would make it easier to understand.

I had also posted this link on other threads & a couple of people said that it's didn't work. I don't know, it works fine for me. Anyway, here is another link for a different chart, hopefully it works.

New Spine Chart

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

I can tell you that many times when I get the runs from this that they are  very sudden & I have had to change clothes more than once. HTH Blesssings ~herbalmom

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 01:43:41 PM »
Thanks, Herbalmom.  DH hasn't been able to go to the chiropractor in almost six weeks because of his work schedule.  I am hoping that will change soon, but till it does I am going to print this thread and show it to the chiropractor.  Maybe he can show me how it is done!

Hadn't thought about the need to treat mold in his body once the mold was removed from the house.  I was on Yeast Assassin before, during and after, and added GSE during and after.  I am out of Yeast Assassin right now, so do you think GSE might help him?  He took it everday for over a year a while back, and had many intestinal problems;  but I am thinking that he took it way too often and it destroyed all the good flora in his gut.  What do you think about giving him GSE once or twice a week and giving him Tummy Tune-up and TT Acidophilus Blast every day, except for the days he takes the GSE?  In the meantime, I will see about ordering more Yeast Assassin.
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 05:04:49 PM »
This page from curezone mentions using bentonite clay internally for chronic diarrhea.  It sounds very helpful for so many things. :)

http://curezone.com/cleanse/bowel/bentonite.asp
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 07:19:41 PM »
If it were me I think I would do a intensive course of antifungals then repopulate with intensive probiotics. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 08:16:58 PM »
Some further info that might help- Men can crack their backs in a standard doorway if they know how. I was talking to DH & he said that it gets most of the back but not quite all. My DH, for instance, can get most of the vertebrae that affect the gall bladder on his own but sometimes T4- the top one that affects the gall bladder goes out & he can't get it himself & he will have to have me do it. Women's muscles are laid out differently & doorways are the wrong size for a woman to use so it usually won't work for a women.

Something else that DH told me that I didn't know is that many truck stops have chiropractors on site & they are set up for walk ins- no appointments needed. Could be handy to know when you need to see a chiro whenever you can fit it in. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 08:30:07 PM by herbalmom »

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 05:57:25 AM »
does anyone know if bentonite clay would be good for someone who had some of their intestens removed due to colitis and could they use psyllium also. They have diarrhea most of the time. They are taking a colon cleanse  with turkey rhubarb in it right now. I don't know how well that is working for her. I would think it might be hard on her.
Oh has anyone ever heard of  Indian rhubarb? Or where to get it?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 06:01:06 AM »
does anyone know if bentonite clay would be good for someone who had some of their intestens removed due to colitis and could they use psyllium also. They have diarrhea most of the time. They are taking a colon cleanse  with turkey rhubarb in it right now. I don't know how well that is working for her. I would think it might be hard on her.
Oh has anyone ever heard of  Indian rhubarb? Or where to get it?
I've heard that psyllium is pretty rough on the intestines.  My hubby had regular bouts of diarrhea after his gallbladder surgery until I put him on a daily regimen of apples.  Pectin in the apples works to regulate the consistency of the stools.
  My favorite herb book!!