Author Topic: Kombucha: Side Effects, Risks & Warnings  (Read 181865 times)

Offline sven

• Learning
    • Solar Family Farm
Kombucha: Side Effects, Risks & Warnings
« on: June 06, 2006, 02:03:15 PM »
I was making Kombucha last summer and finally let it go...I was just fermenting too much stuff and couldn't keep it up!  But I'm about 13 weeks pregnant and decided to pull out that last bottle from the back of the fridge yesterday.....and now I'm really wanting to make more.  But....

In searching for a new mother, I read on one website that pregnant and nursing mothers should avoid it.  I'd ask my midwife but she won't know....I'm educating her on nutrition at this point!  So does anyone know?

And Gabe, thanks for posting this.  What do you "age" your finished tea in to make it bubbly?  This is a step Sally Fallon didn't cover in her book but I read about on the internet yesterday.  I was thinking of trying 1/2 gallon mason jars.  Thanks!

Kristin
The East Tennessee Ridge Runners

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Kombucha: Side Effects, Risks & Warnings
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:02:51 PM »
One of our members sent me a note with an article claiming deaths connected to Kombucha.  CLICK HERE. 

Any thoughts?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 12:10:34 PM »
I found something which disputes the accusations implied from the article.

CLICK HERE.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:17:54 PM »
I thought this was also interesting.

from
Kombucha tea is a health beverage made by incubating the Kombucha "mushroom" in tea and sugar. Although therapeutic benefits have been attributed to the drink, neither its beneficial effects nor adverse side effects have been reported widely in the scientific literature. Side effects probably related to consumption of Kombucha tea are reported in four patients. Two presented with symptoms of allergic reaction, the third with jaundice, and the fourth with nausea, vomiting, and head and neck pain. In all four, use of Kombucha tea in proximity to onset of symptoms and symptom resolution on cessation of tea drinking suggest a probable etiologic association.

Kombucha is reputed as a detoxer.  Sounds like detox symptoms to me, but what do I know ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 12:38:12 PM »
I guess my only concern from reading all this would be the dosage.  I am wondering "Can you overdose on Kombucha?".  I mean alcohol can be detrimental if you drink too much at one time, but many many people drink more than they should at any given time and it doesn't necessarily end in death.  The FDA is reporting that you shouldn't drink more than 4oz per day but most people rarely drink less than 12oz in any prepared drink.  Most beer bottles hold this much and most pop bottles hold 20oz.  So, should we be treating this as medicine or as a soothing drink??
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 03:07:35 PM »
I don't think Kumbucha would be bad for you during pregnancy as long as:

1) You are drinking plenty of water!!! It is a strong diuretic.

2) You don't drink so much as to get drunk on the alcohol content. If that is even possible.

I drink it while pregnant - but I also do the Water Cure at the same time, so I know I'm getting plenty of liquids.

We're going to make cranberry kumbucha soon - I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:09:22 AM »
In my Kombucha book by Harald W. Tietze (website: www.kombucha2000.com) I found this interesting info on usage of Kombucha over long periods of time:

"I believe that nothing should be used over long periods of time as our body will get used to it and the required effect will not last. Animal tests have revealed that vitamin treatment is much more successful, if adopted over certain periods of time, rather than all the time... I have tested a lot of herbs on myself, and of course also Kombucha,  in very large dosages to determine whether there are any negative side effects. After 6 weeks of drinking 2 litres of Kombucha daily I could not find any negative side effects with Kombucha. In most homes, where Kombucha has been consumed over decades, people usually have a break of between 1 and 2 weeks. When under stress, or there is a virus going around, they return to drinking Kombucha again, in larger dosages at first.

Pastor Weidinger, who has had experience with Kombucha for well over 50 years and firsthand in the country of origin, has the following comments...

'The length of any therapy depends on the motive. If I merely want to live a healthier life, I would recommend a 3 week program, 1/8th of a litre daily prior to meals preferably starting after full moon and ending 1 week prior to full moon again. If I wish to cure such illnesses as bowel problems, strengthening of the liver, rheumatism, gout, improvement of the blood quality, I would recommend the use of Kombucha over a period of between 3-6 months, three times daily 1/8th of a litre, stop for one month and then start again.

Permanent use is not recommended as the body requires a break between treatments, to make proper use of the help being offered. If one has a stop between treatments, the user will feel the effect much better when starting again"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 08:04:46 AM »
Permanent use is not recommended as the body requires a break between treatments, to make proper use of the help being offered. If one has a stop between treatments, the user will feel the effect much better when starting again"

That reminds me of a joke I heard a long time ago.  A man keeps hitting himself over the head with a board.  Another man walks up and asks him why he keeps doing this.  He answers "because it feels so good, when I stop".   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline musicmommy

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 02:50:00 AM »
Quick question...can you ever drink TOO much kombucha?  Is it safe for children to drink, even though it's mildly alcoholic?  Also, should you keep using the "mother" to brew new kombucha, or should you use the "baby"??

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 02:54:40 AM »
Hey Guys!
My info says that you can use a SCOBY up to 12 times.  I have not made this much so I don't know.  I gave my "Mother" away and kept the babies.  As far as drinking too much the source where I got mine said to treat it like medicine.  My 10 yr. old son really likes his Kombucha and would drink it MUCH more often than I let him.  We drink about 300ml a day.
Hope this has been a help.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Nickole

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 03:40:05 PM »
My info says that you can use a SCOBY up to 12 times.  I have not made this much so I don't know. 

Much longer than that - to me it seems like they live forever....I have used mothers countless brews.  Eventually they become lifeless I have heard, but I have never had that happen and I have been making k-tea for over 3 years.  Sometimes I use the mothers over and over and over and over and..... ::)

Offline lovetolearn

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 04:32:35 PM »
Does anyone know if Kumbucha would be detrimental to someone with candida/yeast issues? ???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 05:11:14 PM »
Does anyone know if Kumbucha would be detrimental to someone with candida/yeast issues? ???

Quite the opposite, I believe.   Kombucha is cultured, which means it contains bacteria which compete for the same resources that candida needs to survive and they produce lactic acid which makes the gut an unpleasant environment for candida.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 11:21:47 AM »
Has anyone severely detoxed from kombucha?  My husband is really nervous about this. 
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 12:21:00 PM »
Has anyone severely detoxed from kombucha?  My husband is really nervous about this. 
I didn't have any symptoms when beginning or when taking breaks.  Neither did hubby.  We've all been very pleased with it and we now drink it every day at lunch.  The kids have about 6 oz and we have about 12 oz.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline wardermom

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 05:45:20 AM »
I'm breastfeeding my 2 yo daughter, and hoping to conceive again soon (#8), and I just ordered my first Kombucha culture.
I've read that it's not recommended during those times, but does anyone have any experience in this department?
My husband and 1 of our daughters have skin issues, and I've read that it's good for that, so that would make it worthwhile, but is it okay for me to drink it? (Is it internally or topically for skin problems?)
Thanks,
Melanie

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 05:41:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure Beka is drinking Kombucha, but I'll let her post.  I'll bump this up so she can find it.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 01:00:58 PM »
Personally, I would not due to the alcohol content.  Your baby can get Fetal Alcohol Syndrome from even a tiny bit of alcohol during pregnancy - even just from a couple of doses of cough syrup during key times.  I would not risk it.  It doesn't happen in every case, but why take the risk?  Alcohol is poison for developing babies. 

That is my personal opinion based upon research that I have done on FAS, and personal experience working with school children with FAS. 

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 12:18:52 PM »
Can Kombucha grow on you?

(ick...it grows :P...)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 01:34:33 PM »
Can Kombucha grow on you?

(ick...it grows :P...)
If you submerged yourself in sweet tea it might. I used to be scared of Kombucha. Gabe had this friend that made it and didn't strain out the mushroom stuff, so I thought all kombucha had yuck in it. I had a friend that did the same thing. I don't know why they didn't strain it. All fermented foods and drinks have a "mushroom" or mother. Vinegar, kefir, yogurt, beer, wine, etc... Once you strain Kombucha and bottle it, it's just another fizzy drink with NO mushroom in it. I dare you to try it.  ;D

-Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 10:02:33 AM »
Personally, I would not due to the alcohol content.  Your baby can get Fetal Alcohol Syndrome from even a tiny bit of alcohol during pregnancy

Is the alcohol content even that high?
JW,
Kristen

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 10:09:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure Beka is drinking Kombucha, but I'll let her post.  I'll bump this up so she can find it.  ;)

Quote from Beka:
I don't think Kumbucha would be bad for you during pregnancy as long as:

1) You are drinking plenty of water!!! It is a strong diuretic.

2) You don't drink so much as to get drunk on the alcohol content. If that is even possible.

I drink it while pregnant - but I also do the Water Cure at the same time, so I know I'm getting plenty of liquids.

We're going to make cranberry kumbucha soon - I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rebekah

Offline GirlieMum

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 10:56:25 AM »
I am breastfeeding 3 mo ds and drink kombucha. i am pretty sure reading on a kombucha thread that the alcohol content is .5% to 1% which is within safe limits IMO. i think in that same post it said the fda allows some in food and drink without needing to post it on the label. i don't constantly drink it though. about a glass per day 8-12 oz.
-I found the posts, both by gabriel anast. i hope this helps. i'm not quite sure how to just do the link. so sorry if this is cluttered.

Disclaimer: Kombucha is slightly alcoholic (usually .5% to 1%. For comparrison: most alcohol based tinctures are usually about 2%, beer is usually 6%, and quality wine ranges between 12% and 18%) however the main healthful product of the ferment is glucuronic acid.
--gabe

Well I really don't know how much alcohol is in a ripe banana, but the FDA allows up to .5% alcohol in any food product... that includes fruit juices, fresh fruit, whatever...
So, if its up to the FDA, dry Kombucha is "Non-Alcoholic" and sweet Kombucha is just barely alcoholic...
Apple Cider ranges from almost no alcohol to 8% or more (often called "hard cider").
Most home made kefir is also .5% to 1% alcohol.
All fermentation is the process of converting sugars to alcohols or acids. In the case of Kombucha, Vinegar, Kefir, even yogurt, the main product is an acid of one type or another... however there will usually also be a tiny alcohol component.
I guess the reason I mentioned the alcohol it is that there are a lot of people that are against alcohol on principle... which is weird, but I guess its their point of view. Muslims are generally the most stringent followed closely by various US Christian denominations. There are some soft drinks that are brewed and have about .5% alcohol... and Muslims cannot drink or sell them!
OH... and the cafeinne content is the same as is in the tea that you use to make the Kombucha. You should try it, though. I drink a lot of caffeine I guess... maybe three glasses of green tea a day... but I think that the caffeine in Kombucha is not as significant as other components in its effect on the body.
--gabe

Nickole

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 11:29:20 AM »
I took the advise of Sally Fallon (Nourishing Traditions) and drank it during pregnancy and while breastfeeding!   ;D

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 02:04:02 PM »
My husband is nauseated, has a lack of energy, no appetite, freezing cold and has major flatulance  :o.  I felt the same way a couple of days ago when I upped my intake of Kombucha.  I think he's detoxing.  He is not going to take anymore Kombucha until he feels better.  Do you think he is having an allergic reaction?  He's been drinking it, but we have only had enough for two weeks until now when I just harvested enough to keep us supplied through the next harvest.  Has anyone detoxed like this before?  He takes about 8-10 ounces per day.  Any help would be great.  Thanks!

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 07:29:54 PM »
Well, after he blamed the Kombucha I think that he is just sick, but my diarhea infusion worked on the rat er. I mean my husband so that was good  ;D.  It will be interesting to see if this reoccurs once he starts consuming kombucha again.

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 04:18:22 AM »
Just for smiles, ;D
My two year old was just served Pepsi by a friend and after tasting it said, with a big smile,  "Mommy, I got Bucha."  (Kombucha)  :o  :D  ;D
Hmmmmmmmm,  guess that is a good sign.  When your kid equates anything fizzy as Kombucha.  LOL!  :D

Offline wardermom

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 05:51:05 AM »
Last night, from her highchair, my two year old said "I love it." , about the kombucha she was drinking (playing in).
Melanie

Just for smiles, ;D
My two year old was just served Pepsi by a friend and after tasting it said, with a big smile,  "Mommy, I got Bucha."  (Kombucha)  :o  :D  ;D
Hmmmmmmmm,  guess that is a good sign.  When your kid equates anything fizzy as Kombucha.  LOL!  :D

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 08:51:33 AM »
chopchop - how do you make peach kind?

I just ordered my first "baby" off of ebay so I should get it in a few days.  So let me see if I have this correct:  I put the baby and the starter tea in a gallon size glass jar filled with black tea and whatever flavoring with about 2 inches left at the top.  Then I cover with coffee filter and rubber band and let sit in a closet for 10 days.  Is that right?  What if the closet is cold?  When it's done, I'll have a baby and a mother and I can brew two more jars.  I put the brewed tea in the fridge tightly covered for a few days or so.  Sound right?  I'm trying to go through this thread and get info but there's ten pages worth! LOL  :o  How much do you give your kids a day?

Also, this may sound like a dumb question, but...... my son is allergic to yeast.  Will he have a reaction to the tea? 
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »
Well, we have been drinking this for about a month and I have noticed an increase in facial acne.  In fact, my hubby will drink it a couple times a week and only break out on those days.  This is a really weird coincidence?!