Author Topic: Ear Aches & Infections: Causes & Cures  (Read 147093 times)

FlappyEars

Ear Aches & Infections: Causes & Cures
« on: April 03, 2006, 05:15:51 AM »
I think my baby has an ear infection and I would like to treat it naturally, but I'm unsure (or should I say nervous) about putting drops in his ears.  I read somewhere that ear drops can cause one to be unbalanced for 24 hours.  Does anyone have any advice/instructions/recommendations for using garlic ear drops on a baby?  Thanks.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: Ear Aches & Infections: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 10:13:04 AM »
Did you buy the garlic eardrops?

I make garlic oil by crushing a clove and letting it sit in an a few tablespoons of slightly warm oil for a couple minutes. I then strain ALL of the garlic out, and lay the child on his side in my lap to administer a few drops of oil in his ear. He continues to lay there for a few minutes.

I've also made a garlic poultice to place on the outside of the ear, which seem to be just as effective. Just fold a paper towel around a peeled clove or two, and crush with the bottom of a jar. Then run hot water over the poultice, squeeze out the extra water, and hold the warm (NOT HOT) poultice to the side of the child's head while reading a book aloud to keep him distracted. Keep it there 5 minutes. Make sure there is at least two layers of papertowel between the garlic and your child's skin. Good quality garlic can burn.

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

FlappyEars

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 05:43:42 PM »
Thanks so much for the information....    I didn't buy ear drops yet, so your remedies sound far more cost effective.  And fresh.  Thanks again.  ;D

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 06:13:20 PM »
My baby had an ear infection about a month ago. I finely grated an onion and droped a few drops of juice into his ears and put part of a cotton ball on the outside so it wouldn't drip on him. Sounds weird, but it took the pain away very quickly. I also used colloidal silver as an antibiotic, with acidopholus to put the good bacteria back in his tummy. I don't know what anyone thinks about antibiotics, I just recently heard about probiotics.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:36:13 PM »
The garlic thing and the onion thing...are they "cures" or just to ease the pain during healing?  I know that both have antibiotic qualities, but the infection is generally on the other side of the ear drum due to the buildup of fluid in the E-tubes. 

I hate antibiotics, but I've always treated ear infections and strep with them.  I usually warm some olive oil for the ear for pain, but this doesn't actually heal the infection.

Also, how do you even know when they have an infection?  I take mine to the doc, but I don't usually know without him looking into the ear canals.  My kids get fevers, but I usually get them checked well before the ear pain starts.

Would these work for a fungal infection on the outside of the ear drum.  I don't think this is common, but believe me, it happens and it's very painful.   :-X

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 06:40:16 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 06:48:11 PM »
The onion thing (and garlic I'm sure) do cure it.  And feel good at the same time!  I have only used an onion whenever my little ones have ever complained about their ear hurting.  I cut the onion in half so you can see the rings, microwave it for about 1 min and then place it over the ear.  you can wrap it in a paper towel or use a rag.  I usually hold it with the paper towel because it is hot.  They you just sit there with it on (but not touching) their ear.  With the 0-2 year old child, I will put my fingers around the onion and rest them inbetween the child's head and the onion so I know how it is and make sure I don't make toast ears. :)  I leave it on til the onion is cool and then we'll do another round if the child wants to lay there longer.  Try it on yourself, it is very soothing and feels really nice.  I wonder if there is onion aromatherapy.   Anyway, if it hurts a lot, I'll try to do it 3x a day.  With our worst case, it took two days and the second day it was just sore because I pushed on his ear pretty hard to see if it still hurt.  So it was definitely much improved after one day of "onionizing".
The onion still can be used after this.  One way:  I left the onion on the counter after we were done.  When I came back it was almost gone, right down into my 16 mo old daughter's belly.  It might take longer to get to the ear that way,  ;D  but she enjoyed her self served treat!!!!!  (and why she wants to pick out chunky veggies from her dinner is a mystery to me!!)  ::)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 05:32:27 PM »
Hi Healthybratt--to answer your question about how to know if they have infection.  about a month ago my littlest (at about 8 mo.) had a bad cold and his demeaner had gotten really cranky and he had a low grade fever so i just figured it had went to his ears.  i didn't take him in to the dr. i just did Rebeka's garlic in oil thing and put a few drops in his ears a couple times and used also the garlic poultice to the feet and chest.  i only did this one day.  also i gave him probiotics (like tummy tune up) and he got well very quickly!  i had always used antibiotics like you for things like this, but now that i know how to do this i am glad not to!   ;D
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Sunny

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 05:49:22 PM »
I would also be interested to know of any natural cures for outer ear fungal infections.  I have experienced this off and on for several years and the Dr. just tells me to use a drop that has an antibiotic and hydrocortisone in it.  I have not had good results with this.  I don't think it has ever been completely cleared up and that is why I have battled with it for so long.  It gets better for a while and then starts up again.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for bringing a high(103) fever down in a 9 mo. old?  A luke warm bath has helped some, but I usually end up resorting to tylenol to get her comfortable enough to sleep.  Thanks in advance for any info!

Sunny
Audrey(1) was still a little wobbly walking, so she would walk with both arms out and above her head.  Emma(3) saw her and cried "Look!  Audrey is praising the Lord!"

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »
Our pediatrician suggests stripping them down to just a diaper.  This is always hard for me because for some reason I think babies should be bundled up, but it does help.  Also a cool rag on the forehead helps (if she doesn't scream too much).

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 08:34:32 PM »
To get a fever down, in the past I've given my baby a round of garlic enemas.  (A dropper or two full of garlic oil in lukewarm water)  If you've read or have handy the book ABC Herbal it is very good at explaining the enemas...they're messy and gross but the garlic oil works like a charm to "open" up the body and allow to fever to break on its own.  Not only that but the enema will rehydrate the body which is more prone to dehydrate especially with a fever.  I've also given a warm bath with a little bit of tea tree oil and then kept my baby bundled warm.  I've always tried to force the fever to break on it's own and have never had a problem with getting my daughter to sleep when I've done these two things.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline Youthful One

• Adept
    • Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 10:46:09 PM »
We've had great success with ear infections using colloidal silver -just dropping into the ear and wiggling the outer ear well to make sure it goes in well.  In fact, my son recently woke with minor ear pain and so I dosed him right away and nothing developed out of it.  A good friend of mine just started using colloidal silver as well for her littles who have had chronic ear infections.  She had always used antibiotics, but is amazed at how quickly and effortlessly the colloidal silver works.

We've also used Melaleuca (tea tree) oil, but you have to be sure to dilute it with olive oil or it can cause some stinging.

I sure love the garlic and onion options!  If I'm ever out of silver, I'll be doing that!

Regarding the fever:
I agree with getting the fever to break on it's own, or letting it do it's intended work.  However with such a high fever in such a little one, it does get scary to just 'let it go'. 

I have used hydrotherapy for fevers.  There are many ways to do hydrotherapy, but the one I like best, or find easiest is:
1) Soak a pair of cotton socks in cool to cold water (not iced!); squeeze out the water.
2) Put on the socks. 
(On whomever needs the therapy, of course) ;)
3) Over the wet socks, put on a pair of dry, wool socks.
4) Go to bed.
This works wonders for colds and fevers. 
(Although I haven't found wool socks suitable to fit my infants...)
Stayin' Home and Lovin' It!

"... it is better to have a heart without words than words without a heart."  ~ John Bunyan

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 05:52:18 AM »
Thanks.  I talked to hubby about this one, he told me that he'd let me try this approach so long as I could show improvement within 48 hours the next time it became a problem.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Sunny

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 04:31:34 PM »
Beeyoutiful-- Am I correct in assuming the oil you soak the garlic in is virgin olive oil?  Since I lasted posted on this topic I have had more pain and itching in my left ear and I would like to try your "remedy".  Thanks in advance!

Sunny   :)
Audrey(1) was still a little wobbly walking, so she would walk with both arms out and above her head.  Emma(3) saw her and cried "Look!  Audrey is praising the Lord!"

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 04:54:55 PM »
Yes, that's it.
I've also noticed that my inner ears hurt if I use a q-tip too often. I guess God intended ear wax in reasonable amounts to be a protection for the inner ear.
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline bintiwangu

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 07:24:04 PM »
Have any of you tried chiropractic for ear infections?
My husband was riddled with them growing up and passed down his shape of head to my children. My chiropractor/old friend said if the ear canal is not angled right for some reason, the ear can not drain properly and then the infection can occur.  So he would adjust the ear canal.  Not all chiropractors know this "adjustment", so you'd have to call and ask first.  But our friend the chiropractor taught me the technique and so now I just do it to my kids.  As soon as I can see they are complaining about some pain, I do it and never hear from them again...other than them not liking me pulling on their sore ear.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 07:29:17 PM »
Have any of you tried chiropractic for ear infections?
My husband was riddled with them growing up and passed down his shape of head to my children. My chiropractor/old friend said if the ear canal is not angled right for some reason, the ear can not drain properly and then the infection can occur.  So he would adjust the ear canal.  Not all chiropractors know this "adjustment", so you'd have to call and ask first.  But our friend the chiropractor taught me the technique and so now I just do it to my kids.  As soon as I can see they are complaining about some pain, I do it and never hear from them again...other than them not liking me pulling on their sore ear.

I'm intrigued.  Do you know of any reading available on the web or anywhere else on the subject.  Please do tell!
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 02:57:54 AM »
i've found chiropractic to work well for many things including ear infections, constipation in babies and general overall health.  for constipation usually an adjustment will do the trick but for most other ailments you have to practice it very regularly (weekly at least) for several months to see results.  it is great for wellbeing though.  do go to lots of chiropractors and choose the one you like best though! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 04:06:37 AM »
We also use chiropractic to treat ear infections.  My first had several and I treated them with antibiotics - didn't know any better!  But my last two have never been on an antibiotic and any time I see them pulling on their ear, I would just take them down to get their ears adjusted and nothing ever comes of the infection. 

Offline ecajean

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »
I second the garlic oil drops and a trip to the chiro. Works well for our kiddos!

~Erica

Offline Tychey

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 11:00:51 AM »
One thing that has helped me (my kids) incredibly is something called CBG.  The company Nature's Sunshine sells it (I am not affiliated with this company in any way, I just like certain products of theirs).  It contains pure extract of chickweed herb, black cohosh root, golden seal root, valerian root, passion flower, Brigham tea herb, licorice root. My son had a very "owie" ear last week for a couple of days and I was worried I was going to have to take him to the doctor, it was so bad, Finally I remembered the CBG.  It's a liquid and I put it in his ear a couple of times and I gave it to him orally a couple of times, and it was gone!  It's been great for our family and it lasts a long time! 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 11:17:57 AM »
hi tychey--does the cbg work for other things too or just ear inf.?  do you give it for a bad cold?

Offline Tychey

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 05:16:05 AM »
The CBG is also good for immune support, so when your child is getting sick, etc.  It's not something I would give my child on a regular basis but it's definately handy to have in the house.  :)

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2006, 07:22:52 AM »
MY 8MO.OLD WOKE UP THIS MORNING WITH A FEVER 101.3 AND WOULD NOT EAT, RED THROAT, AND PULLING AT HIS RIGHT EAR I CAME HERE TO THIS SITE AND THEN GOT GARLIC,ONION, GSE, AND MULLEIN FLOWERS OUT OF THE FIELD I MADE AN INFUSION OF THE FIRST THREE AND AN OIL OF ALL FOUR.
I GAVE HIM TWO DROPPERS OF THE INFUSION ORALLY AND 1 DROP OF THE OIL IN HIS EAR .
HIS REACTION WAS WITHIN FIVE MINUTES A HAPPY  PLAYING BABY !!!!!
I DID GIVE HIM TYLENOL AS SOON AS I FIGURED OUT HE HAD A FEVER AS I DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO ANY SUMAC BERRIES OR OTHER REFRIGERANTS.
SHERRI
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 05:30:40 AM »
CONCERNING THE EAR WAX, THEY SALE EAR CANDLES AT HEALTH FOOD STORES THAT YOU HOLD OVER YOUR EARS AND LITE, IT FUNCTIONS THE SAME WAY AS A CHIMNEY/FLUE TO A STOVE  AND YOU'LL BE AMAZED WHAT COMES OUT. :o
Sherri

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 10:36:07 AM »
Whenever my children would complain of earaches, I would put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in their ear.  They dont like the bubbling noise, but it usually did the trick.  If they still complained of it hurting a bit later I would use garlic oil and have never need to use anymore than a couple of doses of that. 

My sister has used the ear candles and highly recommend them too!  I had never heard of them until she told me and have not had a reason to try them since.
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 04:42:00 AM »
The garlic eases the pain because he does not pull at his ear when I do that but now he has been on anti-biotic for going on four days and is so congested he can't catch his breath if he cries I cant get him to take a bottle for tea and I used all my garlic to make the oil. I need an expectorant and can't go to town what can I use my pantry is low, I have a little comfrey but I think it is moldy it has black areas on it,how do I know?
Sherri   
Sherri

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 06:42:58 AM »
We use a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide in the ear to clean it out, and then put 2-3 drops of onion juice in their ear.  Place a cotton ball in the ear and it takes the pain away quickly.  We have alternated the onion juice with some garlic/mullein oil and have found that both work quite the same way.

Offline blessedmommy

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 07:45:18 AM »
has anyone tried Wally's ear drops or ear Candleing?

Offline NewPrairie

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 08:18:05 AM »
I can speak from personal experience to say that the garlic oil works wonders. I had severe spinal meningitus at 18 months that I lost the hearing in one ear and 20% in the other from. I then spent the next 8 years battling ongoing ear infections, in and out of hospitals, tubes in my ears, doctor's visits  - I feel ill just thinking about it. I lived on antibiotics and my Mom did a lot of ear flushes and drops in the ears. Nothing worked after a while and a neighbor suggested we try the garlic oil. The earache disappeared shortly thereafter, and while I was still prone to ear infections, 2 drops of garlic oil always fixed it. I am still very prone to ear infections, especially if it is cool or windy out although I hadn't had one in 11 years because I was careful to keep bundled up and so on. I completely forgot about the garlic oil and had a bad ear infection this spring that almost burst my ear drum. I ended up going on antibiotics because by the time I remembered the garlic oil it was too late (it wasn't hurting a lot so I kept putting off putting anything in there til DH checked my ear with an otoscope and found the ear canal full of puss!)
But since this spring I am prone to ear aches again and the garlic oil always helps. My 11 month old gets sore ears when she is teething and garlic oil always helps. When we went on a short holiday earlier in June she got an earache and the garlic oil quickly solved that also. :)
I am definitely sold on it from my years of earaches and ear infections.
Heather

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 09:03:02 AM »
ear candleing is awsom!!!
for ear wax not ear infection though.
Sherri