Author Topic: Tonsiloliths [Tonsil Stones]: Something Stuck in My Throat!  (Read 113114 times)

Offline Grace

• Adept
Tonsiloliths [Tonsil Stones]: Something Stuck in My Throat!
« on: September 20, 2006, 07:32:50 PM »
I have had an annoying feeling in my upper throat/back of mouth off to the left side for 3 or 4 days. It feels like a popcorn husk is stuck there. Today I was finally able to see something. There is a white spot aboput 3/8 in or so. It doesn't hurt, but it feels weird/annoying. Any ideas what it is and what I can do about it. Also....I have a very strong gag reflex!
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
Re: Tonsiloliths [Tonsil Stones]: Something Stuck in My Throat!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:24:03 AM »
You have tonsil stones. They aren't uncommon. Yes, they are GROSS! I don't have time to discuss now, but wanted to let you know that this is a known condition.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 03:58:59 AM »
Tonsil stones? OK Isthat something Ineed to get looked at? will it just go away? Or is there a natural remedey? It looks like a canker sore. Thanks.

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 05:17:41 AM »
Any body?? BUMP! ::)

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 05:30:45 AM »
http://www.drgreene.com/21_568.html

If you look up tonsil stones on google there's alot of info. Might help you decide if this is your problem. Haven't you had alot of trouble with sore throats and infection before? I had read that having tonsil problems can be a sign of a weak immune system thats need to be strengthened.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:39:16 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 05:38:01 AM »
I actually read that article earlier. Haha. I wasn't sure what it was saying to do. How can you scrape something off your tonsils? Do you know how far back thet is in your throat?!!!! I tried. It is getting bigger.

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 05:58:20 AM »
I cannot vouch for effectiveness, but some gargle with one of the two following items:

1. hydrogen peroxide

2. vinegar

Just make sure you gargle as long as you can, but spit it out. Do not swallow.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 06:08:23 AM »
I'm having a hard time finding any info besides the convention treatment of scraping your tonsils or having them removed :o I did notice that tonsil stones, bad breath and bad body odor are often mentioned together and are all a sign if a toxic body.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:38:53 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 06:23:43 AM »
I didn't know they had a name!!  I found my first one when I was about 21, I am 34 now.  I thought it was puss and my grandpa scraped it out for me and it was a ball of well, GROSS as SC said. Now I cannot ever see them but if they get big enough they will dislodge and I do a noisy throat thing and get it out.  My husband TOTALLY grosses out which I think is funny.  ::)  This morning at breakfast(he was at the table I was in the kitchen)and I said hey, you know those things? they have a name.  He said HONEY, I am eating breakfast!(he's so cute)and I said well, I wasn't going to go into detail.......he said yeah, but now i"m thinking about it.  I will have to tell you all about him drinking my breastmilk on the breastmilk yogurt thread.   :D ;D

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 06:26:36 AM »
I just talked to the local Dr's office. It is as big as a pea now. They said if it is that big, it is not going away by itself and I need to go in and have it taken off. Then they want me to take an antibiotic. I will have to see what DH says. Any thoughts on if I should take the antibiotic or not???

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 06:34:54 AM »
My hubby has had these since he can remember.  I have never heard someone diagnose them(so will look into this tonsil stone thingy), but they seem very harmless, but are definitely filled with a gross type of something.  At first, my husband thought that his tonsils would flare up and fill with puss, but upon recent discovery he believes that his holes back there are very large and is filling with food.   ???  Either way it is gross!!  Do what you feel is best for yourself and your husband.  But this does not seem very serious at all and I would not do anything as drastic as having them scraped and an antibiotic.  IMO. But no harm having a doc. look at it, just in case your situation is rare and it isn't the tonsil stones.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 06:36:51 AM »
You can't get a Q-tip and "rake" it off or out? That's what my gp did and I have done since.  But anymore I can't see them. I only know they are there when they come loose.   Maybe I didn't have the same thing you have.  My understanding is it's just food that has gotten compacted in there and doesn't come out w/o some "nudging"  I don't know if I woudl go to the doc about it.  Course mine has been occuring for good long while. 

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 07:01:06 AM »
How do you get a Qtip back there without gaging ??? I have been trying, and already gagged so bad I threw up!!! I agree it is not really a big deal, but the Dr said if it is as big as mine, 1/4 in, and has been there for 3 or 4 days, 99% chance it won't come off on it's own. Anything I can do to help with gagging?? I think that is the biggest promlem. The white spot is getting to where it makes me gag a little even when I just swallow.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 07:05:13 AM »
Oh, bummer sorry.  I don't have have very much of a gag reflex. I couldn't make myself barf if I wanted to. And I have wanted to before.   ::)  I guess you already tried gargling huh?  Sorry I can't be more help.  I just get so determined with stuff like that I just won't stop until I get it.  I mean I did gag but not to the point of......well barfing.   

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 07:06:06 AM »
Is it really stuck on there. When I get a popcorn husk stuck I swallow really big pieces of bread over and over to get it loose. It might work ???
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:37:28 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2006, 07:48:37 PM »
Tonsilloliths (tonsil stones)

Okay, here's what little I know about tonsil stones.

The medical community only treats the symptoms. Usually, an ENT or Dentist is more familiar with them than other medical practitioners. Tonsilloliths are bits of bacteria that have taken up residency in the pockets in your tonsils.

After a few bouts of sinusitis and/or tonsillitis, apparently the inflamed tonsils get a little wrinkly and form pockets where these little bits start to form and grow. When a tonsil stone reaches a certain size, you will feel like a piece of hair or husk from a bit of food has stuck there and is scraping your throat. If you don't have a powerful gag reflex, you may be able to reach back and get rid of it yourself. Otherwise, you'll find yourself at the doctor's office.

Some people rig up their own contraptions to remove these, but I'd be leery of that. You don't want to accidentally swallow whatever you're using to get at the area.

I've read articles that surmise that these are caused by eating sugars, junk food & etc. I've seen where others say that these stones are little bits of food that accumulate. However, I've tested both of these theories. People on zero sugar (not even fruit) and LONG fasts have still produced tonsil stones. So, the stones themselves aren't little bits of food or directly caused by diet.

I believe that the likely culprit is post nasal drip. There are drainage ducts from your sinuses near where your tonsils are positioned. This mucus runs over the tonsils and gets deposited into the crevices in the tonsils.

Md's treatment for tonsil stones often includes antibiotics and/or removal of the tonsils. However, a tonsillectomy is a serious surgery, and I would not recommend it. Antibiotics (in my opinion) would actually worsen the condition as it would remove any good bacteria present and allow the bad guys to overtake the region. Many people have enjoyed a lifetime free of tonsil stones only to be plagued with them after several rounds of antibiotics.

I would look for items in my daily diet that might be mucus producers. You may think that your drainage is due to environmental factors. It has been my experience that a person starts to react to environmental allergens when the system has become overburdened with so-called foods that it cannot process properly. So, you will likely find that things like hayfever or seasonal allergies are reduced or go away when you start eliminating certain foods from your diet.

Where to start? I would first look for anything that has non-food items in it. In other words, read labels. If you can't purchase it from a farmer, you probably shouldn't be eating it. Your body just doesn't know what to do with red food dye, nitrates, and nitrites. It wasn't designed to handle them other than to produce mucus (or some other allergic symptom) to try and rid itself of the foreign element. Once you've eliminated this, list foods that you crave. Most likely, these are foods that trigger symptoms. Phase these out of your diet also. If you have doubts about a food. Wait a couple of weeks and reintroduce that item. Record your symptoms for 48 hours, and then decide whether or not to keep it in your diet. You'll find that physical cravings go away after about 3 days (or sooner) when you eliminate the item.

Using this method you can greatly reduce, if not eliminate, your allergic reactions. After some time, you may even find that you are able to reintroduce foods that gave you problems before when you were toxic. It may be as simple as using organic ingredients because you were reacting to the non-organic version.

In addition to these steps, I would look for an affordable air filter. If you aren't using anything now, a cheap one is better than nothing. Look into getting a Kombucha mushroom and some Kefir grains to help boost the good bacteria in the area. Lastly, if you can afford it, replace amalgam fillings with composite ones. IMO those metal fillings contribute to the condition.

Until you get the mucus under control a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and water will help the condition. Just gargle daily and you should start to see results in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, if you get ahold of one of those things, beware of smelling them. They have a very pungent sulfur odor. :P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 07:59:27 PM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 12:06:39 AM »
Thank the Lord for very big favors.   :o  I had a tonsillectomy when I was three.   :-\  I feel for you.  :'(
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 04:28:40 AM »
Well, I had finally decided to go in and have the Dr. look at  it today and then my husband had to take my vehicle! ARGGG! Anyways...If I do get in,(I will have to walk and it is 35*) do you all think I should take the antibiotic or not?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 04:35:59 AM »

Okay, here's what little I know about tonsil stones.

After a few bouts of sinusitis and/or tonsillitis, apparently the inflamed tonsils get a little wrinkly and form pockets where these little bits start to form and grow. When a tonsil stone reaches a certain size, you will feel like a piece of hair or husk from a bit of food has stuck there and is scraping your throat. If you don't have a powerful gag reflex, you may be able to reach back and get rid of it yourself. Otherwise, you'll find yourself at the doctor's office.  THIS SOUNDS EXACTLY WHAT MY HUSBAND HAS.  EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DESCRIBED THUS FAR IS WHAT IT IS WITH HIM.  HE HAS SUFFERED THESE SINCE HE BATTLED A SEVERE ILLNESS IN CHILDHOOD.  THEY WANTED TO REMOVE HIS TONSILS, BUT HE REFUSED.  AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE, TOO, WHAT A STUBBORN LITTLE STINKER HE MUST HAVE BEEN! ;)

Some people rig up their own contraptions to remove these, but I'd be leery of that. You don't want to accidentally swallow whatever you're using to get at the area.

I've read articles that surmise that these are caused by eating sugars, junk food & etc. I've seen where others say that these stones are little bits of food that accumulate. However, I've tested both of these theories. People on zero sugar (not even fruit) and LONG fasts have still produced tonsil stones. So, the stones themselves aren't little bits of food or directly caused by diet.

I believe that the likely culprit is post nasal drip. There are drainage ducts from your sinuses near where your tonsils are positioned. This mucus runs over the tonsils and gets deposited into the crevices in the tonsils.  THIS COULD BE A POSSIBILITY, TOO.  MY HUSBAND HAS A DEVIATED SEPTUM.  I DON'T KNOW IF THIS MAY BE PART OF THE CONTRIBUTOR.

Md's treatment for tonsil stones often includes antibiotics and/or removal of the tonsils. However, a tonsillectomy is a serious surgery, and I would not recommend it. Antibiotics (in my opinion) would actually worsen the condition as it would remove any good bacteria present and allow the bad guys to overtake the region. Many people have enjoyed a lifetime free of tonsil stones only to be plagued with them after several rounds of antibiotics.

I would look for items in my daily diet that might be mucus producers. You may think that your drainage is due to environmental factors. It has been my experience that a person starts to react to environmental allergens when the system has become overburdened with so-called foods that it cannot process properly. So, you will likely find that things like hayfever or seasonal allergies are reduced or go away when you start eliminating certain foods from your diet.  NOW, THIS IS THE PART THAT JUST DOES NOT FIT IN OUR SITUATION.  HE HAS HAD THESE IN HIS PAST WHICH WAS FILLED WITH ALL OF THIS JUNK AND SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE THE CULPRIT.  BUT AT THE SAME TIME, HE HAS STILL HAD THIS PROBLEM WHEN WE WERE MILK FREE AND EATING ORGANIC FOODS, NO KNOWN ALLERGENS, FILTERED WATER, AIR, AND NO MORE MERCURY FILLINGS.  SO, THIS IS WHY I AM LEANING TOWARD THE FOOD GETTING STUCK IN THESE HOLES(LIKE YOU WERE SO EXCELLENTLY DESCRIBING) AND DECOMPOSING.

Where to start? I would first look for anything that has non-food items in it. In other words, read labels. If you can't purchase it from a farmer, you probably shouldn't be eating it. Your body just doesn't know what to do with red food dye, nitrates, and nitrites. It wasn't designed to handle them other than to produce mucus (or some other allergic symptom) to try and rid itself of the foreign element. Once you've eliminated this, list foods that you crave. Most likely, these are foods that trigger symptoms. Phase these out of your diet also. If you have doubts about a food. Wait a couple of weeks and reintroduce that item. Record your symptoms for 48 hours, and then decide whether or not to keep it in your diet. You'll find that physical cravings go away after about 3 days (or sooner) when you eliminate the item. I DON'T KNOW OF ANYTHING THAT HE WOULD BE ALLERGIC TO.  BUT I WILL TRY TO PAY ATTENTION TO IT MORE.  HE EATS EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!! :D  MY GUESS IS HE CRAVES EVERYTHING, SO HE IS ALLERGIC TO EVERYTHING!!

Using this method you can greatly reduce, if not eliminate, your allergic reactions. After some time, you may even find that you are able to reintroduce foods that gave you problems before when you were toxic. It may be as simple as using organic ingredients because you were reacting to the non-organic version.

In addition to these steps, I would look for an affordable air filter. If you aren't using anything now, a cheap one is better than nothing. Look into getting a Kombucha mushroom and some Kefir grains to help boost the good bacteria in the area. Lastly, if you can afford it, replace amalgam fillings with composite ones. IMO those metal fillings contribute to the condition.

Until you get the mucus under control a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and water will help the condition. Just gargle daily and you should start to see results in a couple of weeks.  THIS IS A GOOD IDEA AND I AM GOING TO PUT THIS TO THE TEST TO SEE IF IT WORKS.  THE FUNNY THING IS, HE HAS THIS "ODD" SMELL AROUND HIS UPPER LIP/ NOSTRIL AREA.  HE HAS HAD IT EVER SINCE I MET HIM.  HIS BREATH DOES NOT STINK, HIS BODY DOES NOT STINK, BUT JUST THIS AREA.  DO YOU SUPPOSE THIS IS THE MUCOUS/POSSIBLE FOOD DECAYING STENCH?  WOULD BE NICE TO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT!

In the meantime, if you get ahold of one of those things, beware of smelling them. They have a very pungent sulfur odor. :P  YES!!  HE DIGS IT OUT AND ALWAYS SAYS IT SMELLS BETWEEN THAT GOOP THAT GETS STUCK IN YOUR TOES AND THE AWFUL SMELL OF PUS!!!  THEN, HE WANTS ME TO KISS HIM ???  GROSS!!!! :P
THANKS, SC, FOR YOUR WONDERFUL INSIGHT AND KNOWLEDGE OF THIS CRAZY THING!!  I SHALL RESEARCH IT FOR MYSELF, TOO.  HOPEFULLY, HAVING EVERYONE LOOKING INTO THIS WE CAN FIND SOMETHING TO WORK FOR THIS THING.  GOD, I LOVE THIS SITE!!

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 04:55:16 AM »
Well alot of this makes sense. I have had tonsillitis once. About 2 years ago. worst I have ever felt...I was 15 weeks PG and already felt half dead so it really did me in! Also I am just getting over a cold and have had runny nose/post nasal drip. Thaks for all the info. Does anyone know why they want me to take an antibiotic? I go in at 2:30 today. Fun stuff! :-\

Offline Pitty-Pat

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »
I don't think that having your tonsils out is necessarily a good thing, unless absolutely necessary.  I've always heard that your tonsils were a big part of your immune system.  They are one of the first lines of defense against infection.  I used to get those white things ALL the time...not so much now that we are living a healthier lifestyle, but I used to get them several times a year.  Sometimes they got big, sometimes they fell off when they were still pretty small, but I've never had to have one removed.  From what I understand, the reason they are so nasty is because they are dead white blood cells....casulties from the battle to keep you healthy.  I know its a little late for this input now, since you went to the dr. yesterday, but I wouldn't take the antibiotic just for that.  Do you have any other symptoms?  If not, then chances are, your tonsils did their job, and the infection is beat.  Let us know what happened.

Laura
"...it [feminism] is mixed up with a muddled idea that women are free when they serve their employers but slaves when they help their husbands." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 02:50:57 PM »
Well, I did go in yesterday. They made me gargle 3 times with this stuff that tasted kind of like gasoline! Nasty! Then they had to scrape my tonsil 6 or 7 times. I gagged every time but didn't throw up. Yeah!!! She did give me a perscription for an antibiotic. Still haven't decided if I will take it or not. As far as other symptoms....

I did have a slight soreness in my back lower gum, but that sems to be gone today. I also have a tenderness in the bottom of my chin???  I have been taking some garlic capsules.
Any more suggestions?? Thanks for all the good advice. I agree that I do not want to  get my tonsils out. Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 05:29:56 PM »
Well, I did go in yesterday. They made me gargle 3 times with this stuff that tasted kind of like gasoline! Nasty! Then they had to scrape my tonsil 6 or 7 times. I gagged every time but didn't throw up. Yeah!!! She did give me a perscription for an antibiotic. Still haven't decided if I will take it or not. As far as other symptoms....

I did have a slight soreness in my back lower gum, but that sems to be gone today. I also have a tenderness in the bottom of my chin???  I have been taking some garlic capsules.
Any more suggestions?? Thanks for all the good advice. I agree that I do not want to  get my tonsils out. Thanks!
Eucalyptus on a cloth or in the bath - inhale.  It's antibacterial and soothing to the throat.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 04:40:44 PM »
Hey there,

I've had the same problem in the past, and when I'm pregnant or sick (or was recently sick) they come back.  I would suggest chlorophyll water (put a teaspoon of chlorophyll in your water, they sell it mint flavored) because that has a detoxifying, cleansing effect on your body.  Good diet should help a lot, but I'm pretty sure antibiotics will only make it worse!!!  I hate them.  They make your whole body unhealthy, and the problem would probably only get worse once you finished taking them.  I usually use a q tip to get them out, and I flex my "gag reflex muscles" to push my tonsils up where I can see better (wow, does this all sound gross or what? :P).  I find if I push on the skin nest to it a little and then brush toward it, it will kind of pop out.  Doctors tend to way overmedicate and this sounds like the case.  Brush your teeth very well several times a day (gently!!!) and chew a little garlic, maybe rinse and gargle (if you can) with warm salt water, and this will prevent bacteria from your mouth from aggrivating the condition.  All these things have helped me a lot, and it usually doesn't happen to me any more.  Maybe try taking a lot of extra vitamin c too?  Hope this helps!!

Offline Tanya

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 09:36:13 AM »
I have had an annoying feeling in my upper throat/back of mouth off to the left side for 3 or 4 days. It feels like a popcorn husk is stuck there. Today I was finally able to see something. There is a white spot aboput 3/8 in or so. It doesn't hurt, but it feels weird/annoying. Any ideas what it is and what I can do about it. Also....I have a very strong gag reflex!

Hey Dear Grace, sorry I am replying so late. I have had these tonsil stones for years. I have very large pits in my tonsils that collect food and dead cells. Every now and then I get the feeling like something is stuck in my throat. I look back there and of course my little white enemy is waving back at me. Over the year I have become very comfortable with my body. I am very practical and it does not daunt me to do things myself. I used a long tea stiring spoon to scrape that thing loose then spit it out. I have also used a eyeliner pencil from the blunt unused end just to push this out then clean pencil well with alcohol. Horrible I know. I actually have built up my gag reflexes over the years and it does not even phase me now. Just talked to my dentist the other day and it is very common. You don't need antibiotics just a salt water rinse after you get it out . I almost never get sick so really for me it is just those pits that catch everything. I hope you are well. Hope this helps.

Offline Grace

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 10:00:19 AM »
Hey Dear Grace, Over the year I have become very comfortable with my body.
 I actually have built up my gag reflexes over the years and it does not even phase me now. Hope this helps.

How do you strengthen your gag reflex? Is it just will power or can I actually do something that will help? Thanks...
Also..Just some info for everyone..I did not take the antibiotics that they gave me and no problems. Yeah!!!!

Offline luvbnamom

• Adept
    • http://my.tupperware.com/RJEFFRIES
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 04:53:33 AM »
I'm not sure where this would go, but I would love any thoughts on what this might have been. 

Last night after dinner I started getting this irritating scratch on the back of my throat.  I thought maybe I had a bean skin back there causing problems.  Finally after a few hours of coughing, scratching, trying to get this thing to dislodge I went into the bathroom to check.  I looked in the back of my throat and there was a white bump in my sinus duct(not sure what it is...sinus something maybe?).  It reminded me of having strep throat, but I felt fine.  So I put my finger back their and flicked whatever it was and it didn't budge.  It still was scratching really bad, so I tried again...this time I pulled the sinus open.  The more I opened it the larger this thing was.  It kind of reminded me of looking at reptile eggs of some sort.  With this pulled open, I tried pushing it out by contracting the muscles in my throat.  Finally it popped out and I bent over the sink and spit it out.  It was probably the size of dime.  It had a really bad odor.  When I looked at it it looked like twisted veins or something like that.  Any ideas?  I have been drinking lots of water.  I've gone from maybe a glass or two a day to 2 qts+.  Also, when the weather changed three weeks ago I got a sinus infection.  Could this have anything to do with it?

Sorry for the TMI.  Thanks for any thoughts. ~Becca
Becca ~ Happily married to T & mommy to JJ 7 and JB 2~

Offline healthy dawn

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2006, 08:46:32 AM »
Oh my goodness I thought that I was the only one to experience this!
About twice a year I get these tonsil stones it is usualy around the time that my sinus
stuff starts, I just use a Q-tip to get them out and then I feel better. I started to get them when I was in high school after a severe bout of tonsilitus(? spelling). As far as the ball in your sinus, My experience has been that it is a ball of snot that really neads to come out. My youngest and I both experience them and when they come out we usually feel better as well. Ugly nasty stuff that goes on in our bodies when we don't take care of ourselves.
Dawn

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2006, 09:55:52 AM »
I too have had these tonsil stones (as I just learned they are called) for years. I don't know when it started. All I know is that once when I was at a ears/sinus/throat doctor (don't know how they are called in America), I asked him about them. He gave me the explanation and told me what they were called (caseum deposit or something like that, I don't remember it's been such a long time). He said it was nothing to worry about, that you can just live with them no problem. They give bad breath and he said he understood that would be a problem at my age (18 at the time  :-[) so if I wanted to get rid of them, the only solution would be getting your tonsils out, which is otherwise unnecessary.

I laughed so hard when I read Pennie's post - sounds so much like a scene at our place ! My husband is grossed out by them too !

Offline lynn

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2006, 01:27:33 PM »
Tonsil stones are sooo yucky  >:( I've been dealing with them for awhile.  Infections like strep,mono,etc. scar the tonsils causing them to become cryptic.  Food can get trapped in there but mostly the whitish/yellowish stuff that comes out is all produced by the tonsil.  Over the years I've become a pro at getting that nasty stuff out.  You can strengthen your gag reflex believe me I've done it.  I use a water pick and flush out my tonsils.  I can tell when there "full" and I either flush them out or push on them with the rounded edge of the water pick and all that nasty stuff comes out!  I know this is sooo disgusting, I'm just relaying what works for me ::)  Be careful not to scratch your tonsils or you can develop a nasty canker sore on them and it hurts!  I really want to get mine out but right now life is just too busy or maybe I'm just a big chicken ;)