Author Topic: Reversals: Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation  (Read 80375 times)

Nickole

Reversals: Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »
I just wanted to let everyone know about blessedarrows.com which is a ministry to help raise funds for reversals, both tubal and vascectomies.  You give money each month as you are able and slowly your name rises to the top in order of joining, as the funds are paid out for operations.  Really cool.  In case finances are a major decision between couples, there's that option in case everyone's thinking "we can't afford an 8-$10,000 operation!" 
My husband got a reversal after 3 years of me praying - we had the money to get it done, but that's ALL we had, felt we should not use the ministry then, but we did find out about doctors, yet had to fly to Arkansas from NC to do it!  This doctor does these every week as a ministry.  He has 9 boys I think!  It was $2,000 for my husband - hotel, car, plane, everything.  Doc's fee was $1500.  Cheap.  Got prego the next month!  Now, my husband says our family is "complete".  I am back and forth on the subject, getting older, pregnancy is TIRING plus I gain a TON of weight on my very petite frame which is hard on me and harder to lose as I get older.  So glad I have him to make that final decision.  I can rest in his leadership. 

Nickole

Offline Pennie

• Master
Re: Reversals: Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 09:44:11 AM »
wow, that is neat.  I have a friend I am going to share that with!! Thanks for the info.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 09:49:43 AM »
Nickole,

I couldn't bring up that page.  Could you give me the link? I must be doing something wrong.  Thanks.

Nickole

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 10:00:36 AM »
SORRY - I JUST CHECKED - IT'S WWW.BLESSEDARROWS.ORG NOT COM!   I'm holding my vasectomy-reversal baby right now! 

Yeah, more often than not, when we tell people our story, they inevitably know someone they want to tell, someone they know who has lamented their "permanent" decision thinking there was nothing they could do b/c of the usual expense of these procedures.  Even if they didn't want to wait for financing through the ministry, they could still find docs on the site who do it at minimal cost as a ministry.  My husband thought "well, too late, we already did it" before we found out about this site.

Glad to get the word out!

Nickole

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 10:05:50 AM »
Thanks!!  ;D

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 10:08:46 AM »
If you (or your husband) has had a vasectamy and didn't get pregnant the next month, don't dispair.  It took my mom 5 years to get pregnant.  Now I have 5 brothers and one sister ages 4-11!  It worked after all!

Nickole

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 10:15:09 AM »
Yes, that's true - I don't want to give false hope.  The chances decrease as years pass since you got the vasectomy - we were at about three years, and 3 and under years has the best chances.  Plus I have always gotten pregnant very easily.  ;D

Nickole

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:19:13 AM »
Plus I have always gotten pregnant very easily.  ;D

So did my mom.  She had her first 3 kids in 4 years. Fourteen year gap, and the 6 in 7 1/2 years. (No twins!) Only God knows why there were five years of no children after the reversal. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 02:32:04 PM »
We looked into BlessedArrows for my hubby's vasectomy reversal.  I wasn't too happy with the group.  You don't apply for a grant or anything.  You join and you make a monthly donation to them for many months while waiting on their list.  I guess average time is anywhere from 6-18 months.  By then, all your money that you have donated is the money that will eventually be back to you for your surgery.  Then, it is a set limit and you have to go to a doctor that they have on their lists.  If you have chosen another doctor, you either don't get the money, or you get less. 
My husband did not want to wait that long, so we took out a loan.  He had his reversal last year and we are still paying on the loan. :-\  We were hoping that God would provide for us, miraculously like all those wonderful encouraging testimonials on all the doctor's sites, but I guess his choice for us is paying on a loan.  Oh, well.

I'm holding my vasectomy-reversal baby right now!

I am soooo happy for you Nickole!!  I can just imagine how wonderful it must have felt to finally be pregnant after thinking for so long that you might not ever be able to bear another child.  My husband had his reversal in November of last year, but the doctor said he has too much scar tissue for me to conceive :'(  So, this once so very nice Christian doctor was very non-compassionate when I cried on the phone and said that we could not afford another surgery.  "Sorry, he said.  Sometimes that happens.  It will be another $1500 for another surgery, please."  So, after praying for three years for my hubby to change his mind to have more children, I guess I am praying for a miracle.  Beeyoutiful mentioned some Aloe Vera juice and he claims he feels a lot different down there.  I hope he is right. 

Mexmarr,
Did you say that your mom conceived after her husband had a vasectomy?  Or a reversal?  That is weird to get pregnant after a vasectomy.  I tried!! 

Nickole

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 03:16:04 PM »
Like I said, we didn't go on the waiting list, so I imagine there may be a long wait, but who knows?  I think you only have to commit to an amount per month you can afford.  At any rate, it's a good resource for doctors who will do it as a ministry.  That makes me sad, though, when I hear about bad experiences.   :'(  I am so sorry about that. 
So now I ask my husband, "so we did all this for just ONE more?"  (we have 3 now) and he says yes!  I was thinking two more, but he's the boss - I'm just getting older and if we are going to have more, I'd rather get those tough pregnancies over now, while younger!  :)  So I keep asking, "are you sure......?"  ;D
Anything could happen - we won't do anything permanent again.  We are using spermicide inserts - are those bad?????  I read about health hazards from other things, but nothing said about those.     

Nickole

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 03:53:37 PM »
Opps, major typo....  My dad had the vasectamy just after I was born.  He had the reversal when I was nine, and my mom got pregnant when I was 14 (and 15, and 17 and.....) She came to my wedding 8 months pregnant with the last one  :)  (and two miscarriages since)

Does that make more sense????? 8)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 04:05:30 PM »
Thanks mexarr!  That makes a little more sense.  I was beginning to think your daddy had super sperm or something! :D  It has definitely encouraged me some and has given me hope!  Really don't want to wait five years (MY dd would be 13 and my son 9) but I will take a blessing regardless!

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 07:03:05 PM »
A friend of mine used the same dr in AR. She also had a baby almost instantly, that was 5 years ago and has not had another since then. I wonder why that is so? Anyway, she was very happy her husband did it and thankful the dr did it so cheap. He gave them a book called A Full Quiver. Everyone should read it before they decide on permanant sterilization.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 02:12:35 AM »
I just wanted to let everyone know about blessedarrows.com

Hi Nickole,
Thanks for posting this website. Hubby and I have been familiar with this website for awhile, and have been considering a reversal. Can I ask how your hubby did during the operation? I've heard it can be up to a six hour ordeal, and that wouldn't be good for my hubby. Would you also mind sharing the name of the dr you saw in AR? We are really interested in getting a reversal sometime soon..... :)

Thanks,
Lisa
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 02:31:52 AM »
mama sita,

My husband's reversal was approximately 45 min.  Each doctor does the surgery differently and you really need to consider one that does "micro surgery".  The cheapest doctor that I have found is in Oklahoma.  He does it for $1,370 and then if the surgery needs to be corrected, then he only charges you for is fee and nothing else.  Other surgeons charge you either the full price the second time or just a couple hundred dollars cheaper.  The doctors in AK look relatively cheep and I have heard nice things about them.  I would not recommend the guy in Texas!!  There is also a cheap and successful one in Indiana.  I am not sure about your location.  I hope you are able to get this done!!  Let me know if and when it happens :)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 03:13:53 AM »
  I would not recommend the guy in Texas!! 

Can you be a little more specific here?  (No offense taken, just want this clarified for the sake of the good doctors ;) ) There is more than one guy in TX who does this!  My dad traveled from GA to TX to get his done.  That was 17 years ago so chances are it is not the same one, but I do know that my dad's DR has many thousands of "reversal children."

And any women looking for a tubal ligation reversal, the absolute best doctor (IMO) is in TX. He's actually done many for free and hosted the couples in his home for a week while mom recovers.  (Many families that I know personally!)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 03:30:13 AM »
what's his name?  The friend I want to help they are in late 30's and their kids are like 12 and 8.  And she is actually from Texas, but they are college students.  I think he will grad next year.  Haven't discussed it with her in awhile but she REALLY wants some more children.  But the counsel they recieved as younger people was well.........

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 05:36:57 AM »
There are two that I am familiar with in Texas.  One is Dr. Busch.  He seems nice but is terribly expensive.  He gave me the run around and never answered my questions, properly.  The second, the one my husband saw was Dr. Leverett, in New Braunsfell, Texas.  He was nice up until the surgery( you know, he got his money) and then when it  didn't go as planned, then he was very cold. 
Unfortunately, with a surgery like this, you never know if the doctor is good or not until it is too late.  When I said the guy in Texas(I know there are many) I was referring to the blessedarrows recommendations in Texas.  I guess I could have been more specific on that.

Nickole

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 06:26:11 AM »
Dr. Stanton in Arkansas.  My husband had no problems at all, the man prayed with him before and everything.  It was a quick surgery, not a big deal at all, in and out!

Nickole

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 06:31:59 AM »
  The second, the one my husband saw was Dr. Leverett, in New Braunsfell, Texas.  He was nice up until the surgery( you know, he got his money) and then when it  didn't go as planned, then he was very cold. 

What can I say?  That is who my dad saw!  All I know about him is that my dad was pleased, and now has six more children as a result.  Like I said, it was 17 years ago.

The absolute best OB/GYN who does tubal ligation reversals is also in New Braunfels, TX.  His name is Dr. Skip Rath. (Uncle Skip to me ;D) I will highly recommand him to anyone!!!  He has done countless reversals for Christian women in Mexico as a ministry. (There, they tie your tubes when you deliver, and then tell you later....in the government hospitals...)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 06:58:48 AM »
What can I say?  That is who my dad saw!  All I know about him is that my dad was pleased, and now has six more children as a result.  Like I said, it was 17 years ago.

That is too funny!  Although, Dr. Leverett was in his prime with your dad.  He is almost 80 or something like that, now.  Besides, it is not so much of the technique as it was the attitude after it didn't work out.  I am sure he would have been very nice and friendly had we conceived right away.  But it was a different story.  I am happy for your parents.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 02:33:54 AM »
Thank you to everyone who posted Dr. recommendations. Word of mouth is always the best advertising!
I'll keep you posted..... ;)

Mama Sita
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline ahsmom3x

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2006, 11:29:16 AM »
Hello everyone.

My husband had his vasectomy one year after our daughter was born. She is now 13. When our kids were about 7 & 8, I started praying that God would change my husbands heart about having more children OR change my heart about wanting to have more children. Soon, God did change his heart and decided to give the control back over to God for the number of kids we would have. God also brought the name of a doctor in Indiana who did reversals for less money. (We lived in Wisconsin at the time) So, my husband said to pray for the money and in the meantime make an appt. Three months went by and God did provide the money! In 2001, he had his reversal and the Doctor said we would have no trouble getting pregnant. I expected I would get pregnant right away. Months turned into years and we finally gave up and said well, I guess the Lord doesn't want us to have children any more. We were content knowing that we had given control back to the Lord. Surprise, in December 2003 we were surprised to find out that we were pregnant! Our older kids are now 14 and 13 and our miracle baby is turning two in just a few days!

He is a constant reminder of how God is in control and how we chose to trust God with the size of our family. We both want to have more babies, we lost one in May of 2005 and keep praying that God will bless us again, however we continue to trust that the Lord knows what is best. (We are getting older now, husband will be 40 soon and I will be 38).

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that the doctor my husband saw was Dr. Streeter, in Merrillville, IN. I looked to see if he is still at the same location and found this link in which to seek him out. http://www.surgicalreversal.com/site/969796/page/45030
My husband did not have any post problems with the surgery.

May God bless you in your decisions about reversals.
When our oldest was 5, he saw lightening bugs for the first time and asked " Mommy, do they have batteries in them?"

Offline clarice415

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 04:53:28 PM »
I just wanted to say here that my husband had a reversal..probably when they were just starting to give them, as our oldest from it is now 22 (we had 7 from the reversal)...but because of the way that the original vasectomy was done, the surgery took about two-three hours.  I guess that would be something to find out-is if a portion (don't know the medical lingo) of the vas?? was removed. This was what had happened to my husband, so it took much longer.  He had a lot of pain for a couple of weeks..I always felt he suffered more for our dear children in this than I did in labor.  I think this was the case though because of the original surgery.  IT was worth it. 
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.
Prov 14:15

Offline ahsmom3x

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 11:18:45 AM »
Wow! 7 Children after the Vasectomy. What a blessing!
When our oldest was 5, he saw lightening bugs for the first time and asked " Mommy, do they have batteries in them?"

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 04:50:08 AM »
  Hi. I'm new here but I have some info you all might be able to use. My husband has just recently undergone a vas reversal. It has over 16 years since his vasectomy. Our chances of conceiving are slim. So I've done some research to try to increase our chances. My understanding is the main complication to a reversal is scarring which blocks the tubes again. Is this also true in a tubal ligation also?            Anyway this is the infor I've come up with.     (We are trying it , I know of no one else who has.)    We are usini emu oil to try to prevent excessive scarring. Now the reasons why I felt it might help are-  1 it has anti-inflammatory properties this would be useful after surgery.  2) It also has a penetrating and carrying property which means it goes more than just skin deep and is able to "carry" other ingredients with it. Such as vitamin E or herbs that you could add to it. So maybe this oil could help prevent the scarring that occurs after surgery. It is also supposed to soften old scars. Maybe that would help some of you who know that is what is preventing conception.   Some of the herbs that come to mind to add to the emu oil would be comfrey and slippery elm. Both have healing properties and would prevent scarring.        My husband had his surgery 8 days ago.  He was completely covered with one huge bruise about the color of an eggplant purplish black. It was not improving. Day 6 I finally talked him into letting me try emu oil on it. Within 24 hrs. it was showing great improvement. Now today 48 hrs. since I started the emu oil it is fading considerably.  He said it also helped with the pain and the swelling has gone down. ( anti-inflammatory) Now maybe this would have happened on its own. But we don't think so. The improvement started almost as soon as the emu oil was applied. (pain)     Sorry to go on so long I just know the feeling of wanting another child so I really want to help in any way I can. Even if we never conceive maybe someone elses chances could be improved in this way.    You can research it more at www.lbemuoil.com also the emu oil they sell already has vitamin E in it.   Hope this helps someone.
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 05:36:44 AM »
 My understanding is the main complication to a reversal is scarring which blocks the tubes again. Is this also true in a tubal ligation also?
Yes, that is true for the tubal reversal.  I had my tubes tied when my only son was 2.  Had it reversed when he was amost 11.  Then had my baby girl when he was almost 13.  That's why my kids are so far apart.  I really thought (and hoped) we would have several more by now.  Turns out I get pregnant fairly easily, but can't seem to stay that way.

Anyway, I went to a doc in Chappel Hill, NC in 1997.  (Dr. Gary Berger)  Here in our home state they were $15,000, several days in the hospital, and not very successful.  Dr. Berger was about half the money, outpatient, and his success rate is really great.  He says he has better success because he does not stitch the inner layer of the tube.  That can cause the scarring.  He leaves the inner layer to heal on its own and reconnects the middle and outer layers.  The procedures used in the tubal ligation surgery makes a difference.  If the original surgery involved removing part of the tubes that is a BIG problem.  He and his staff are very nice.  I had a great experience with them.  And we have our daughter!  ;D

Missi

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »
Beth,

I know that the chances of you conceiving are slim, but you caught the scar tissue thing very early. Good for you finding something that works.  Like I said before, we found out about ours a little too late at six months after the surgery.  I am hoping that your hubby heals very quickly and that you will conceive again.  Please, let me know as soon as you do.  ;)

Offline Lavender~Rosemary

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006, 10:24:52 AM »
A friend told me she had heard of a doctor in Albuquerque who did reversals as a ministry. I have searched everywhere I can think of but can't find him.  Has anyone heard of a surgeon in Albuquerque who does this?
Thanks,
Stacy

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2006, 10:30:05 AM »
A friend told me she had heard of a doctor in Albuquerque who did reversals as a ministry. I have searched everywhere I can think of but can't find him.  Has anyone heard of a surgeon in Albuquerque who does this?
Thanks,
Stacy
I've been looking too...so if you find one let me know...my husband had the big "V" three years ago and has had serious side effects. He's now looking to get a reversal! Thanks...
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!