á á á á á á á

Author Topic: Garlic "dosages" for kids  (Read 18584 times)

Offline kathyo

• Learning
Garlic "dosages" for kids
« on: November 13, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »
I have searched the threads a little on this topic, but my twins are taking naps,and will soon be up!    :P  My two-year old has a "snotty" nose and his 7-yr.old brother also is stuffed up. I want to "nip this in the bud" with garlic, but I'm still unclear on how much to give them. I want to give it internally. Is there some rule of dosage for garlic? Also, if I take some myself, will it upset a nursing baby? Thank you for your help.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Garlic "dosages" for kids
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:03:52 AM »
I have searched the threads a little on this topic, but my twins are taking naps,and will soon be up!    :P  My two-year old has a "snotty" nose and his 7-yr.old brother also is stuffed up. I want to "nip this in the bud" with garlic, but I'm still unclear on how much to give them. I want to give it internally. Is there some rule of dosage for garlic? Also, if I take some myself, will it upset a nursing baby? Thank you for your help.
I don't believe you can overdose on garlic as it's a food; however, too much could upset little tummies.  I usually give my kids one med size clove chopped well on a spoon drizzled in honey several times a day.  I usually take 4 or 5 at a time myself, but I do get a little gurgly when I do it. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:07:26 AM »
Well good luck getting your kids to eat raw garlic. I don't think you can take too much, really. Actually I read that the juice of 9 BULBS might make you throw up. I guess it's a blood thinner so if you have problems with possible hemmoraging or something then you'd want to lay off. I usually just mince up maybe half of a clove and cover it with honey for my kids (they're 5 and 3) when they seem like they might be getting sick, and that usually stops it (they are starting to actually like this). If they are already sick, I do it several times a day - every hour is the goal but I usually don't manage to do it that much. If you use GOOT or poultices, you don't have to worry about getting them to eat it. With those, you might try for three times a day or so. I eat it like there's no tomorrow and my nursing baby has never had a problem. I have not heard of anyone else's nursing baby having a problem, either.  It's kept my baby from getting sick and helped her get better many a time in her 8 short months.

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
Garlic overdose?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »
I am not a kid, but I didn't know whether or not to start a new thread since there was already some discussion here about whether you can overdose on garlic.

I have been fighting a cold for a few days, and have been drinking garlic "tea" twice a day. Just yesterday I got a little impatient with the tea making and started just chopping up cloves, chomping the chunks just once, and swallowing with water. Probably took 4 or 5 cloves since yesterday morning. Today, I have had runny bowel movements 7 or 8 times, and my stomach has been ACHING. Other than that I don't feel sick at all (weak, achey, etc). Do you all think there could be a connection? Is this some kind of weird detox?
Thanks!
Corrie
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »
Garlic is a food not a medicine.  There is no "overdosing"; however, let your stomach be your guide.  If your tummy gets upset, you're eating too much.  As with anything, moderation and pay attention to your body.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!