Author Topic: Treating Children for Candida/Yeast  (Read 86918 times)

Offline 5littlegraphs

• Learning
Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
« on: November 13, 2006, 05:07:02 PM »
Hello all.

I have been researching treatment of candida in children. I have been procratinating actually treating my kids. My daughter, I believe, especially needs it. She had cellulitis on her nose when she was 2 and underwent serious and intense antibiodic therapy for two weeks to cure it. Her symptoms started about 3 months after and I was told by her pediatrician there was no such thing as candida and that she just developed a partial wheat allergy. Well, I have taken studying into my own hands and now I think I need to get on top of it.

So, what have you guys used out there on your kiddos? I am leaning toward the Aloe Vera Juice and TTU treatments. I just dont know how much Aloe Vera Juice to give, how many times a day and for how long. I assume for 6 months like with adults. Are there any other treatment you have tired and succeeded with?

I am not very confident when it comes to treating my kids. I can diagnose and treat myself and my husband without worrying because we can voice when something just doesn't feel right. So any advice you have I will greatly appreciate it!
 ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:02:14 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:04:06 PM »
This is a very good topic.  I only changed the name to broaden the possibilities of discussion and to make searching for it later, an easier task for others with the same questions.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 03:59:27 AM »
Bump!

I need answers for this too. My daughter was born with a vaginal yeast infection and battled it off and on until she was potty trained. I don't think it just went away, I think it's gone other places where it's less obvious.

Our pediatrician just rolled his eyes when I asked if some of her health issues could be Candida. But, thankfully, the last time we went in for a visit it seemed as though something had happened to cause him to think twice about the reality of Candida. He's not quite "there" yet, though.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how to treat her at home and I have the same reservations about "experimenting" on my kids that were expressed by 5littlegraphs.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 05:44:10 AM »
Bump!

I need answers for this too. My daughter was born with a vaginal yeast infection and battled it off and on until she was potty trained. I don't think it just went away, I think it's gone other places where it's less obvious.

Our pediatrician just rolled his eyes when I asked if some of her health issues could be Candida. But, thankfully, the last time we went in for a visit it seemed as though something had happened to cause him to think twice about the reality of Candida. He's not quite "there" yet, though.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out how to treat her at home and I have the same reservations about "experimenting" on my kids that were expressed by 5littlegraphs.

WR
Read this link for more info.

I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline JuniperSunshine

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:58:10 AM »
Hi!

We have an Autistic little boy who is becoming "cured" of much of his symptoms due to our yeast/leaky gut treatment for him!  I noticed that his "bad autism days" always seemed to be days with really yucky, foul-smelling diarrhea and sometimes a yeast diaper rash.  His pediatrician, of course, merely found this "interesting".  I forged ahead anyways and I am so happy I did!  It truly is remarkable how much progress he's made now.  He is now 3 1/2, and I started treating him at age two.  I used three things:

Yeast-Aid from Kirkman labs - just stir 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon in some orange juice.  He gets this twice a day now.  It's already citrus flavored, which helps.

Enzyme-Complete w/ DPPIV - a complete enzyme with proteases to heal the gut.  He got one pill, which is a half-dose, before every meal.  Open up the capsule and sprinkle it on the first few bites, or mix it into a drink.

Phenol-Assist  - Another enzyme, however, this one breaks up the yeast as well.  It helps with die-off symptoms, too.  This one you don't need to take with food, just two or three times a day "in general"  I give my son 1/3 of a pill 3 times a day.

These are all available from Kirkman Labs online.  When I saw the improvements my son was making, I started the rest of the family on these as well.  No more headaches or fatigue for me (I take Supermom, too, which I highly recommend)  and even my toddler is much healthier and happier with just the Yeast-Aid in her juice.   Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!  The diet advice posted on this site is extremly helpful, too - less sugar is so important.

Juniper

Offline JuniperSunshine

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 09:59:38 AM »
P.S. - Enzyme complete w/DPPIV is what I use to help with his wheat and dairy allergies, too. 

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:39:10 AM »
Does anyone have food suggestions?  I'm starting the candida-killing diet on myself for my unborn baby's sake, and as soon as I figure out some good substitutions for my toddler's diet, I'm putting him on it too.  Also, I've read that garlic is a good anti-fungal treatment for yeast.  Would a poultice get the good stuff into my son's system, or does he have to eat it?  I'm leery of giving him supplements, because he only weighs a little over 20 lbs.  Maybe the Tummy Tuneup would be safe?

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 03:35:28 AM »
Okay guys, I'm at a loss here!  I've been treating leaky gut and yeast in my two kids with severe food allergies for almost a year now.  (Well, treating yeast off and on and leaky gut this whole time anyway.)  But it's at it's worst right now and nothing I'm doing is working!  My 7 yo CONSTANTLY itches his "private area" all day long.  He's irritable, can't sleep, and has weird blistery things on his hands - all signs of yeast.  He's on two HEAVY DUTY probiotics, eats the Maker's Diet (only GFCF version  ;)), eats a TB. of unrefined virgin coconut oil every day, and takes 4 drops of GSE in the afternoon.  Plus I started putting GOOT on his private area in case there was yeast on the outside of the skin.  So far no improvement and we've been doing this for a couple months.  Okay, now my 4 yo - we treated yeast last year and he got better.  I wasn't sure he had a yeast problem again except now that it's nice enough to play outside he's gotten his seasonal allergies back really bad.  Poor guy does this weird hacking noise and tries to spit.  It keeps him up ALL NIGHT!! :o :o  I've read that yeast causes outdoor allergies.  I started giving him the GSE and coconut oil and he's been on a heavy duty probiotic for a long time, but he's not improving either.  I'M OUT OF IDEAS.  :'( :'(  And my boys are miserable.  Anyone have some suggestions of other things I could try??  ???

Thanks,
abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 04:08:48 AM »
Nope, they can't have ANY dairy, gluten, and a long list of other stuff they are allergic to.  I do give them lots of kombucha (supposed to help candida) and kefir d'uva (supposed to have tons of probiotics in it).  They are on such a strict diet.  No sugar either except small amounts of honey or pure maple syrup in their breakfast.

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 04:32:58 AM »
The kefir d'uva is in pure grape juice and water.   I have heard that also about most probiotics coming from dairy.  My 4 yo was on a nondairy probiotic and it wasn't any different.  Their guts are in such bad shape that I can't take away the probiotics.  My 4 yo had chronic diarrhea until I got him on the Primal Defense, and now it's so much better.  We are treating Clostridia bacteria in my 7 yo, which is probably what has caused the yeast to overgrow.  A couple months ago I tried taking everything away and nothing got better.  I'm truly stumped!  :-\

abbilynn

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 06:46:50 AM »
Anyone have some suggestions of other things I could try??  ???Thanks,
abbilynn
What about SLS?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 06:48:27 AM »
Is Kefir d'uva in a non dairy milk or coconut? If it is even raw dairy I would probally cut it out for a couple of weeks to see if there is improvement.
kefir d'uva is made from fruit juice.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »
abbilynn
What about SLS?

What is SLS?  ::)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 07:45:55 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 08:39:36 AM »
abbilynn
What about SLS?

Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS)

Thanks HB, I'll read that thread after the kids go down for bed tonight.  I thought SLS was an additive and really bad for you, but I'm sure the thread explains it.  I didn't realize it was something for yeast.  :o 

abbilynn

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:50:09 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 08:51:11 AM »
abbilynn
What about SLS?

Thanks HB, I'll read that thread after the kids go down for bed tonight.  I thought SLS was an additive and really bad for you, but I'm sure the thread explains it.  I didn't realize it was something for yeast.  :o 

abbilynn

It's not something to treat yeast.  It's a chemical found in many hygeine products that could be causing the symptoms or causing the yeast symptoms to worsen.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 11:47:29 AM »
abbilynn
What about SLS?

abbilynn

It's not something to treat yeast.  It's a chemical found in many hygeine products that could be causing the symptoms or causing the yeast symptoms to worsen.

OH, well, that's what I was thinking.  But when you mentioned it I misunderstood what you meant.  :-[ :-\  Anyway, we already have been using chemical free stuff on him.  Pure glycerin soap, natural toothpaste, etc.  No junk.  So, I guess that's not it......... ??? ::) :-\

abbilynn

Offline marmiemama

• Adept
    • www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 04:20:19 PM »
Our 11 1/2 year old dd has been battling with depression for about two months.  Some of you may have remembered my thread on 7xsunday.  Well, it's not over yet.  The severity of it came on almost overnight, even though she has always been very sensitive.   We have been trying so hard to figure out the cause of this, and so much is pointing to yeast.  She has asthma since she was a baby and has been treated with various meds over the years, some winters were worse than others.  The puffer she used advised rinsing out her mouth to prevent a yeast infection.  Hmmm.

Well, in February, her cycle began and it exactly coincided with the recurring thoughts and depression.  Another thought might be hormonal...would evening primrose help here?  I have a call in to my midwife to ask her if she could shed some light on this situation.  Just waiting for her to call back.  Some days/weeks have been better than others, and we've been in close contact with two friends (they work together) who are Christian counselors.  We're still not sure if this is purely emotional/thought processing or something physical, like yeast or hormones.  She'll be having her first visit on Thursday.  We've been using two children's remedies from Native Remedies, but only with a little success.  But every time I research her symptoms, I keep coming up with yeast links.  I did consider this about a month ago and we eliminated sugar and did some acidopholis, but now I'm thinking that we need to do it whole heartedly and see what happens.  I saw the advice from Kirkman labs and was wondering how you came to use those specific supplements.  The Yeast-Aid would be an obvious choice, but when I read the descriptions of the other items, I never would have known that would be what we would need.  Did Kirkman do the suggesting for you?  I'd love to hear some more advice in this area, specifically children's depression and the possible link to candida and/or onset of menses.

Thanks so much and blessings to you!

"Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6-7
www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 11:08:38 AM »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:11:06 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline marmiemama

• Adept
    • www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
Hi Healthy Bratt,
Thanks for all the links you've posted.  I had read through so many of them already, which was partly how I am suspecting yeast to be a contributing factor.  I did speak to my midwife and she directed me to a naturopathic nurse practitioner only a few towns away (answer to
prayer  :) ).  She strongly feels that this is hormone related.  She'll be doing saliva, urine and blood work this coming Wednesday. 

I was just telling a friend today how I can see God's hand in our lives regarding the treatment and diagnosis of this problem.  I began reading this board about six months ago and we have slowly made many changes in our lives.  We eliminated shampoo (have to get the kiddos off of it), make our laundry soap, our diets have improved greatly, and I have learned a great deal from all the knowledgable people on these boards regarding herbs.  I love how these changes are being incorporated into our family and I look forward to more exciting changes.  I can see how God had been giving us a firm foundation in alternative health.  We had been off an on for years in this area, but these slow changes are finally sticking.  God had prepared us to look to the body first when we saw our daughter going through a difficult time.  I may not have ever thought of looking for these kinds of imbalances to be the cause of her depression.  She is already looking to see how God will be glorified through this and looks forward to helping other children going through difficult situations.  What an awesome girl I have!!!  (three more, too!).  I will keep you all posted to share our results and treatments ahead.

Your Sister in Christ
"Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6-7
www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
I'm using Three-Lac and Oxygen Elements to treat my 20 mo. old for yeast.  It's been a month, and I haven't seen any results.  His symptoms aren't better.  If he were worse, than I'd have hope, because that would mean die-off.  He's been drinking kombucha (I think he's addicted).  Should I not let him have it?  It does have sugar, but everything I've read says the friendly yeast and bacteria cancel that out.

Also, I want to get him on a good probiotic.  Can you give a toddler acidophilus?  If so, where's the cheapest place to get it?  If acidophilus is bad, which TTU or other probiotic would you reccommend to get him over the hump?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 04:14:23 PM »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 05:07:04 PM »
Also, I want to get him on a good probiotic.  Can you give a toddler acidophilus?  If so, where's the cheapest place to get it?  If acidophilus is bad, which TTU or other probiotic would you reccommend to get him over the hump?

the threelac has probiotic in it, but if you wanted to give him another one, the TTU Acidopholis Blast by Beeyoutiful is a good one.  it would probably help to conquer the yeast faster.  i've read on here that the acidopholis strain is best for beating yeast.  it's not expensive either.  when my kids were on threelac i could tell by their stools that it was doing something.  they were normalized with it.  i guess that's hard to tell unless their toilet trained.   :-\  hope this helps.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 09:03:26 AM »
Hello everyone,
I need some advise.  Our whole family started the yeast cleanse yesturday and everything was ok.  I gave my 4yr old dd and 6yr old ds  a half of Enzyme Digestive, 1/2 tsp of yeast-aid powder from Kirkman Labs, and a probiotic twise a day.  This morning they both woke up with a tummy ache.  I gave them a probiotic (without the other pills), and the 4yr old said it stopped hurting but the 6 yr old feels sick, his stomach still hurts and he felt like throwing up 2 times. (but he didn't)  Does this has anything to do with the cleanse?  I know my dd really needs to do a cleanse but the ds was just doing it since the whole family is and I thought it wouldn't hurt him.  Am I wrong?  Should he not do the cleanse?  Please help with what ever advise you can.  Thank you.  :)

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 09:16:19 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to ask.  Is it ok to give kids string cheese like once a day?  I noticed in the ingrediets that it has 0 grams of sugar.  Does that mean that they can eat it?  Thank you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 12:46:59 PM »
Hello everyone,
I need some advise.  Our whole family started the yeast cleanse yesturday and everything was ok.  I gave my 4yr old dd and 6yr old ds  a half of Enzyme Digestive, 1/2 tsp of yeast-aid powder from Kirkman Labs, and a probiotic twise a day.  This morning they both woke up with a tummy ache.  I gave them a probiotic (without the other pills), and the 4yr old said it stopped hurting but the 6 yr old feels sick, his stomach still hurts and he felt like throwing up 2 times. (but he didn't)  Does this has anything to do with the cleanse?  I know my dd really needs to do a cleanse but the ds was just doing it since the whole family is and I thought it wouldn't hurt him.  Am I wrong?  Should he not do the cleanse?  Please help with what ever advise you can.  Thank you.  :)
Yeast die-off can cause vomitting.  If the vomitting doesn't stop, you might want to cut their supplements in half for a bit to ease the dieoff symptoms.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to ask.  Is it ok to give kids string cheese like once a day?  I noticed in the ingrediets that it has 0 grams of sugar.  Does that mean that they can eat it?  Thank you.
Cheese is a great food to eat while fighting yeast. ;D  Some say it's not because the mold/yeast will cross contaminate, but I had no problems with it myself and I've found more evidence to support that cheese is good versus bad.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 07:07:42 AM »
Thank you HB for your replies!
 Sorry, I have another question.  (I'm new to this cleansing thing so I don't know much about it)  Both of my kids complain of abdomen pain throughout the day.  It comes and goes, but sometimes it really hurts to where my dd was crying, but only for like 3 min.  Is this normal too?  I just hate to think that I may be hurting them instead of helping them.  Also, my dd got a cold (I think), she lost her voice which started as a bad cough and has a runny/stuffy nose.  Is it still ok to keep her on the cleanse?  Thank you, and sorry if my questions are a little stupid.  ::) :P :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 08:04:37 AM »
Thank you HB for your replies!
 Sorry, I have another question.  (I'm new to this cleansing thing so I don't know much about it)  Both of my kids complain of abdomen pain throughout the day.  It comes and goes, but sometimes it really hurts to where my dd was crying, but only for like 3 min.  Is this normal too?  I just hate to think that I may be hurting them instead of helping them.  Also, my dd got a cold (I think), she lost her voice which started as a bad cough and has a runny/stuffy nose.  Is it still ok to keep her on the cleanse?  Thank you, and sorry if my questions are a little stupid.  ::) :P :)
Okay, first keep in mind that if your family is in need of this cleanse, then their immune systems are already compromised.  This means that the cold or any other illness make take their tolls on the over-taxed immune systems.  Next, the only reason I would slow down on the cleansing is if the die-off were severe enough to rack the body with vomitting or pain severe enough to put the body down.  I'll effects are to be expected.  You're fighting off a really bad bug.  Candida is going to die and cause toxicity and it's also going to fight to live, by stealing all available sugars and causing the body to physically crave more sources of sugar.  If everyone is able to stick it out, if it were my family, I would make sure they are getting lots of water and other liquids (broths and tea - no sugar) and plenty of rest.  I would treat it like any other illness.  I would also make sure to be giving plenty of probiotics and essential fatty acids by whatever source you have available (fish, CLO, flax seed, borage oil, butter, meat broths, etc).  These supplements will go a long ways to boost the immune system and help their bodies get through this.  If they can tolerate it, raw garlic would really help as well.  It's anti-fungal (for the candida), anti-bacterial and antiviral (for the cold) and it purifies and oxygenates the bloods (more oxygen is good for the immune system and body overall). 

Last, trust your instincts.  You're a mom and you've been taking care of this family longer than anyone else.  If you think that your children are being taxed beyond what they can handle, then slow down a bit, but don't give up.  This too shall pass.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline larissakissa

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »
Last, trust your instincts.  You're a mom and you've been taking care of this family longer than anyone else.  If you think that your children are being taxed beyond what they can handle, then slow down a bit, but don't give up.  This too shall pass.  ;D
[/quote]  Thank you for your support!  I really thought this would be easier.  :-[  My ds had a bad abdomen pain all morning untill now.  He threw up once but the pain was still there.  I gave both of my kids another dose of probiotics in hope that it would help.  Finally I went to the store, got some milk and fruit to give to kids.  I hope I'm not compramizing the diet but I thought it might be ok to give my ds a bowl of corn flakes with milk and a banana or apple.  Please tell me if I shouldn't be giving them those foods.  :-\  The weird thing is that my dd is the one who really needs this cleanse but my ds is the one with all the bad reactions.  ???  Could he have a more serious problem than my dd but without any symptoms?  What about if he did not have any candida overgrowth, could this diet make him sick like that? 
I'm sorry if I'm writing too much.   I really appreciate all your help!  Thank you.  :)