Author Topic: Do I Need A Tetanus Shot? Preventative [Vaccinations] & Injuries  (Read 66314 times)

Elbereth

My 3 year old daughter stepped on a board with a rusty nail sticking out of it.  It went right through her shoe and into her foot about an inch or so...She hasn't had any vaccinations, and I soaked her foot a couple of times in hydrogen peroxide and rubbed garlic oil on her chest and foot, but I'm worried and would like some proactive things to do instead of just worry :(  What would you all do?

Offline gabi

• Adept
Re: Do I Need A Tetanus Shot? Preventative [Vaccinations] & Injuries
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »
I also haven't vaccinated my 3 boys and am pretty comfortable not doing so; however, when my 2 older boys were outside playing, the older slid down onto the younger one while holding a sharp (and rusty?) rock, nearly slicing the tip of his finger off. The younger one (Jesse) was about 2 1/2 . We go to a holistic family doctor who also has the same belief about the vaccinations ( a definite no-no), and he recommended we give him the tetanus shot (I believe it was a lower dose, possibly mercury-free, but not sure anymore). Either way, as your child gets older, their bodies are much more able to handle these vac's. (I believe it said in the book "A Shot in the Dark": it explained in Japan they do not vaccinate until the children are over 2yrs, and they have a significantly lower mortality rate) Anyway, tetanus spores are everywhere, but it takes a deep puncture wound to take hold. Me personally, if I had to do it again, I would vaccinate. When I was told to come in the dr. explained there was a 24 hour window to do it before the spores take hold of your body. Now I've also heard of a friend of our family getting a deep cut, then getting all the symptoms (lock-jaw, headache, fever)--not realizing until he fought it off that he very well may have had tetanus--he however was a grown man...not sure how each person's immune response will vary. Anyway, have you talked to your family dr??Anyone with medical-physiological knowledge? Without being too much of an alarmist I would find out ASAP what you could do (besides this site)--no offense "welltellme" ;)

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:55:00 AM »
It is great that your child did not vaccinate!!

If you are worried about tetanus-STOP. It is rarer than doctors would have you believe.

You can only get tetanus if you live on a farm type place because it is from animal fecal matter like chickens or horses.

I live like this and my daughter stepped on a nail also.

Here is what we did. http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/157558/
That is my blog link that tells the whole story and how we treated it.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 03:17:39 AM »
You cannot get tetanus from a rusty nail.  That phrase came from farms that had horses.  They would change the horses shoes, held together by horse "nails" and they would just throw them on the ground.  Well, horse shoes were terribly dirty stepping in mud and their own fecal matter.  So, their shoes, including the nail were prime for containing the tetanus virus.  This is where the don't step on a nail thing came from.  It is a soil organism and can live in the soil many years.  It is in the intestinal tract of horses, dogs, and guinea pigs. 
So, unless you go barefoot on a farm or such, she should be okay. :)

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 04:58:09 AM »
Just keep an eye on it for increasing pain and redness.  When I was a teenager I fell in a river in the mountains and a rusty piece of frayed cable from old mining equipment went into my leg about 1/2 an inch.  I woke up crying in pain in the middle of the night.  I had to go to the ER, about 24 hours later, and I had a blood infection.  It took them 3 days to find the right antibiotic for it, and in the mean time I was in extreme pain, and my entire leg from my leg to my foot was swollen twice the normal size.  I couldn't walk for 2 weeks.  This wasn't tetnus.  Anyway, I don't want to scare you, but just keep an eye out for red lines radiating out from the puncture or swelling or bad pain.  If that happens, take her to the hospital.

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 06:18:28 AM »
I was told at the hospital there was a 72 hour window to get a tetanus shot.  A friend told me to soak the foot in HOT water with about a cup of Epsom salt in it. Several times.  But do watch for the red streak, my son stepped on a plastic Lego man and put a puncture in his foot, it didn't even bleed.  He told me two days after it happened, so I too soaked it in peroxide twice a day and put garlic oil on it.  The red streak started two days later, I took him to the ER and we got a round of antibiotics.  I hated to but didn't know what else to do at that point.
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 06:49:59 AM »
The red streak is really dangerous, it is blood poisoning and can kill ....   I kicked a rusty old pitchfork when i was about 12, it went deep in between my two smallest toes, my grandma brought ashes over and made me soak my foot on and off for 2 days in the ash water, it worked too, i had the red streak and it pulled it out again.....

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 05:04:58 PM »
The peroxide is the right thing to do. Even if she did come in contact with the tetnus virus, it cannot proliferate in the presence of oxygen, and the peroxide is full of oxygen. Salt soaks will also draw out infection if you do see a red streak. Give her immune boosting foods and herbs so her immune system can fight any germs she encountered.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 11:00:19 AM »
My son sank 4 rusty nails into his ankle years ago.   One dr. told me to make it bleed like the dickens to flush out as much as possible. I had been told by another dr. that, like someone else posted, tetnus is a lot rarer than they would have you believe.  We then took him to the ER where he was given a  Hyper Tetnus (HyperT they called it) shot (he had never been immunized.)  I was told at the time that the old tetnus shot that people would invariably get when they stepped on a rusty nail did no good.  They said the old shots took about 10 days to take effect, well beyond when the tetnus would have been a problem.  But people would rush in and want the shot,  so they gave it to them. 

Elbereth

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 02:24:23 PM »
Thank you all so much for your responses.  So far she is okay.  I know that it can take a while to see if anything happens.  Her spot on her foot just bled a tiny bit.  I didn't get to soak her foot for a while because we were not at home and we had to drive back home to soak it.  It looks like just a dot on her foot with no redness or streaks.  I have prayed, God knows my heart, and I have asked for His help in protecting her.  That's what I've decided for now.   :)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 03:31:28 PM »
If she did get it, she could be treated. It is curable...
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 04:06:51 PM »
Hey Guys! 
My #2 son just stepped on a nail!  My husband has him soaking in saltwater as hot as he can stand.  I really do not want to get a tetanus shot tomorrow, but if it starts swelling I don't know what to do.  It was a very rusty nail sticking out of some wood my husband just bought.  It went in about an inch on the outside of his left heel.  He could not get his foot off of the board, I had to pull the nail out.  :'(  He is not in any real pain right now but, it did not bleed hardly at all.  My MAN pushed and squeezed to get some blood out and then immediately started the soaking.
If anyone one knows a sure fire remedy I'm all ears.
Thanks.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 04:13:57 PM »
Thanks, ps100vs5, I don't have access to either one of those items.  Is there anything equivalent to them? 
Thank you for your quick response.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 04:31:31 PM »
I didn't realize this thread was already started, here is what I wrote on a different thread.
When my daughter stepped on a rusty nail...OUCH!...We washed it out with Colloidal Silver and Tea Tree Oil.  We kept this up for a couple of days, until the hole was basically healed.  And kept a band-aid on it to keep the dirt out until it was completely healed.  I don't think it took more than a week and it was a deep hole. http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,48.msg32308.html#msg32308
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »
HB just pulled this thread up.  I typed in tetanus but only one thread came up about something else so I started a new one.  She took care of everything for me  :-*  what a great moderator!
Husband says keep it in the hot saltwater for now.  In a few he is going to bed anyway and tomorrow soak it first thing in the morning with Epsom salts and wash with peroxide.  Hurray!  No shot!
Thank you for your help,
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline scarlet_prairie

• Adept
  • Who blew down my house?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 06:14:29 PM »
I posted this on another thread. I would be more worried about blood poisoning than tetanus and by the sounds of hospital experiences MD's aren't so good with the blood poisoning part either... *sigh* figures.  ::) However, there's some great info on here about caring for such wounds... I'm going to have to give in and get some peroxide. I have the Epsom salts already... The peroxide also works for the blood poisoning. MD's treat gang-green by putting the person in one of those oxygen tanks (or whatever they're called) with pure oxygen. Oh, for swelling, you can use peppermint oil to help bring that down. You only need 5 or 6 drops in a bucket of cool water, or if you want to you can rub it on directly but that REALLY tingles. We use it on our milk cow's udders when the first freshen to help with the swelling also helps with mastitis.

Interesting comments from Brian Johnston.Lightning and Tetanus.

During all of WWII, 12 cases of tetanus were reported by US forces. 33% were vaccinated. [and that was from a population that definately had it's share of dirty punture wounds i'd say]
-Edward Mortimer, "Immunization Against Infectious Diseases," Science, Volume 200, (May 26, 1978), p.905

In order to decrease severe reactions to the vaccine, it has been significantly "diluted," causing it to become clinically ineffective.
-Isaac Golden, PhD., Vaccination? A Review of the Risks and Alternarives, (Geelong, Vicotria, Australia: Arum Healing Centre, 1991), p.31.
-this comment was also made by Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D.

From 1990 through 1995 there have been an average of 49.6 cases of tetanus per year in the United States. Compared to total population, that means approximately 1 in 5,198,200 people contract tetnaus. There is a 20% mortality rate for tetanus if properly treated. That means that approx 1 in 25,000,000 people will die of tetanus in any given year. About 1800 people per year are struck by lightning and there is a 25% morality rate for this event. 1 in 143,240 are struck by lightning and 1 in 573,000 die. This is a lot of numbers BUT:

You are 44 times more likely to die from lightning than from tetanus.

http://nccn.net/~wwithin/tetanus.htm

I thought you might find this interesting about tetanus...  ;)This was the one thing we were worried about and after reading some information on it, we quit worrying about it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 06:21:03 PM by scarlet_prairie »
Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thes 5:21

Offline rootdoctor

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 05:06:35 AM »

I just wanted to mention this great salve that an acquaintence makes.  Tommie Bass was an herbalist for many years (he died about 10-15 years ago).  He was in the Appalachain mountains of Alabama.  Anyway he came up with a salve, "good for whatever ails your skin,".  This stuff eats off warts, skin cancer, age spots and is great for infections (or in the case of tetanus, preventing it)   I use this salve whenever my kids cut themselves, we have lots of barbed wire around our house.  We wash in peroxide and put on the salve.  Hubby still worries about the tetanus, but I think between myself and other herbal friends that we could treat it.  It is quite cheap too.  I bought 12 last time for others and I believe it costs around $6 -$7.  Maybe cheaper.  Darryl (guy who makes it) prices it depending on how much retail will be, he charges some $9 and up because some are selling it for $12-$15, lol, and he doesn't share the recipe, all recipes except this one.  If you are interested you can google it, Tommie Bass Salve, or I can send you some.  I give this stuff away quite often and so far I have seen it even eat a fatty tumor.
The above statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure diseases.  I am not a doctor =)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 06:19:05 AM »
You cannot get tetanus from a rusty nail.  That phrase came from farms that had horses.  They would change the horses shoes, held together by horse "nails" and they would just throw them on the ground.  Well, horse shoes were terribly dirty stepping in mud and their own fecal matter.  So, their shoes, including the nail were prime for containing the tetanus virus.  This is where the don't step on a nail thing came from.  It is a soil organism and can live in the soil many years.  It is in the intestinal tract of horses, dogs, and guinea pigs. 
This is interesting, but doesn't cover the fact that tetanus basically comes from puncture wounds. Stepping on a nail is the most common way of getting a puncture wound, hence the association to tetanus. Even a clean nail CAN create the optimal conditions for a tetanus infection, although it isn't likely.
I do agree that farm nails are more suspect. ;) I've had several of them in my feet :P but no infection ;D My mama's cure was epsom salt foot soaks.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 09:17:39 AM »
I am seeing a microcell biologist and he tested me to see if I was still allergic to shots. After 40+ yrs. the tetanus shot was still having a negative effect on me. I can remember not being able to walk from the effect of the tetanus shot. Anyway, the Dr. told me to put on all Dr. charts that I was highly allergic to the shot.

I asked him what I was to do IF I stepped on a nail. His reply was that tetanus is very RARE and I had a greater chance of winning the lottery. But he had two suggestions:

1. soak in Epson Salts and put on Hydrogen Peroxide
2. get an antibiotic- that's all the EVER do to treat tetanus.  Boy was I shocked.

Offline musicgurl

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »
Here's my 2 cents!This year my 3 year old brother stepped on 2 rusty nails- at the same time- and they went deep! We took him to the Dr. and he got a shot- (he's not immunized) And the doctor told us tetanus is very rare: he said no cases of it in North Dakota (where I kive) in at least 5 years- and N.D. has lots of farms, rusty nails, etc! So... we clean out cuts well, soak them and pray! Another thought... about 3 years ago, my dad cut his ear (and nearly his head) off with a chainsaw (accidentally) and he got a tetanus shot in the E.R. And it took him about 4 months to recover from it... he was so weak... So... Praying all goes well for you,

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 08:14:40 AM »
My husband stepped down on a 4 inch nail yesterday.  It went through his shoe, sock and quite deep into his foot - he said he could feel it hit a bone.   :-X  OUCH!

Ok, I have read through all the posts and am not too concerned about tetanus but am worried about infection.  He had a tetanus shot in the last 4 years (not that we think vaccines really "work", but according to the hospital, he is he is considered "up-to-date"). 

Honestly, not too much gets my husband down, but he is hobbling around and can barely put weight on his foot.  The top of his foot is swollen and slightly pinkish where his toes meet his foot.  He says it really hurts to move his toes, and (as expected) the bottom of his foot where the nail went in is slightly swollen as well.  When I squeeze the entry area, a bit of "cloudy" blood comes out, so am thinking we have an infection brewing.  (I bet there are some sock fibers/dirt way up inside - hopefully not any shoe rubber!?)

Anyway, what I have done so far.  Cleaned it with warm water, soap, hydrogen peroxide and then put a slice of garlic on it and covered with a bandaid for a short while yesterday (we were working and he didn't want to stop).  I had him come in a couple hours later and put a paste of colloidal silver/goldenseal powder on and covered with a bandaid and he went out to work again.  When he came in, I gave him a good dose (orally) of Echinacea/goldenseal tincture and we soaked his foot in hot water/Epsom salts.   

This morning, I gave him another good-sized dose of the echinacea/goldenseal tincture again and will be soaking it again in hot Epsom salt water in a little bit.  I am concerned to see swelling across the top of his foot, even a small amount. 

We don't have health insurance, so he is not likely to want to go in.  Frankly, I have treated all of our ailments/injuries at home for several years now, but am not sure how to handle this if it gets seriously infected. 

Interestingly enough, I did call the hospital and they were concerned that I had used hydrogen peroxide as the nurse said it creates a barrier that does not allow the puncture to drain!?  I had never heard that before, and peroxide is almost always the first thing I grab when a wound needs cleaning...  Anyone else ever hear this?

Also, does any one have any more advice on how to draw the infection out?!
Jacque
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 08:35:44 AM »

Also, does any one have any more advice on how to draw the infection out?!
Jacque

You could use a clay poultice mixed with a little plantain or echinacea in it.  Just be careful to watch for the previous noted signs of a severe infection.  But don't be surprised if it takes a lot longer to heal than an infection would anywhere else on the body.  When my husband got a fish hook in his thumb he went to the doctors to have it removed.  They said that the hands and feet take the longest to heal.  HTH Jacque.

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2006, 10:53:20 AM »
Jacque,
My son's foot injury was only 1 1/2 inches deep and no shoes on  ::)  I believe the Epsom salts did the most good.  He has only a faint pink line where the nail went up the side of his heel.  Epsom salts will draw out any infection and to bandage it after the soaking, you could use some plantain which will also help with the infection and the swelling.  We use plantain on ALL cuts, it really has helped reduce the swelling around stitches.
Praying for your man, keep us posted.
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

JoyInHim

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 01:30:54 PM »
A doctor told me that the problem is when a deep wound heals on the surface, and the inside part is infected.  Thus, stitches to close the internal portion, then the external portion.  (I still refused the tetnus, being that my son cut his eyebrow indoors, not anywhere's near a farm).

Tetnus is one vaccine that is very safe and with few side effects, btw.  (We've done zero vaccines.)  I simply didn't want to add to my child's ordeal, but watched him closely for any signs of problem.....I was fairly sure a tetnus dose was uncalled for.

This is interesting, but doesn't cover the fact that tetanus basically comes from puncture wounds. Stepping on a nail is the most common way of getting a puncture wound, hence the association to tetanus. Even a clean nail CAN create the optimal conditions for a tetanus infection, although it isn't likely.
I do agree that farm nails are more suspect. ;) I've had several of them in my feet :P but no infection ;D My mama's cure was epsom salt foot soaks.

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
My dd 14, received a nasty bite from one of our rabbits.

We cleaned the bite with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment and bandaids on it.

Does she need a tetanus shot? If so, can it wait till Friday morning?

TIA :)
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need to worry about tetanus from a bunny bite.

BUMP - anyone else know more?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think you need to worry about tetanus from a bunny bite.

BUMP - anyone else know more?
Hmm, really? Okay... now I am wondering why a tetanus shot would be necessary at all? (I have heard tell that you need one if you live in the country.)
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
I wouldn't think so.  Here is a link to another thread about tetanus.  You can get more info there.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3511.0.html

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 01:10:27 PM »
Hmm, really? Okay... now I am wondering why a tetanus shot would be necessary at all? (I have heard tell that you need one if you live in the country.)

Tetanus is connected to horse shoe nails, from my understanding.  Generally a problem if you step on it and it has fecal matter on it that enters the wound.  I read that in several sources, but do you think I can find it right now?   :-\

Sounds to me like you've done the right thing.  With animal bites, I would be more concerned about rabies...but not with caged rabbits.  I hope she heals quickly.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »
I believe that you only need tetanus if you are cut with anything with rust on it and it gets into the bloodstream -   

I think with a bite, it would just be rabies that could cause problems.

Hope it heals quickly!
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com